Live Loop Recording Acoustic Drums w/Auria Pro??

edited January 12 in General Vote Up0

Can you live loop drums in Auria Pro? or any of the Audiobus apps?

I just bought a Tascam US 4x4 interface that's compatible with iOS (I'll be using my 10.5in 256GB iPad Pro). I'd like to record my acoustic drums with Auria and curious if I'd be able to live loop w/the 4 mic inputs (2x stereo overhead pair, 1x on snare, 1x on bass drum) from my kit?

I'm a bit of a newbie to all of this so apologies if anything I say sounds ignorant!

Comments

  • 12 Comments sorted by Date Votes
  • edited January 12 Vote Up0

    You’re asking about loop playback or loop recording? Loop playback, yes, you can. Loop recording, no dice. In fact, there’s no iOS DAW that does loop recording of audio - only MIDI, and Auria doesn’t loop record at all. But then again, if you intend it for loop playback, you’re covered. Cheers!

  • Could you post a YouTube of someone doing what you want to do? Maybe on a Mac?

    Then we might be able to give some ideas for how to do it on iOS.

  • edited January 12 Vote Up0

    As a drummer and hand percussionist who uses live looping a lot, I've played with various loopers and found Quantiloop Pro works best (for me anyway). Midi learn, app hosting, link, clock, etc. etc.
    To record, play, overdub and stop any of the four tracks, I use both an IK Multimedia Blueboard for my left foot (or an FCB-1010 works as well, just a lot bigger and heavier) and I also use an Alesis Percpad for an optional way to do looping with drum sticks or hands.
    The blueboard only outputs a fixed set of four midi notes or cc's so the only trick to this dual control setup is matching the percpad's four midi notes out to match the blueboard. Quantiloop will connect to it directly.
    The blueboard is bluetooth so you'd probably be fine but the percpad only has a standard midi din out (no usb), so I use a Roland UM-One (usb to midi i/o) to convert it. You'd need another adapter for the FCB-1010 of course if you went that route.)
    Other folks here may have more elegant solutions but I hope this helps.

  • Oh, one more thing. Quantiloop also has the ability to use the first live loop set the tempo for link, so you can bang out something live and have everything else then match that tempo automatically.

  • @theconnactic said:
    You’re asking about loop playback or loop recording? Loop playback, yes, you can. Loop recording, no dice. In fact, there’s no iOS DAW that does loop recording of audio - only MIDI, and Auria doesn’t loop record at all. But then again, if you intend it for loop playback, you’re covered. Cheers!

    According to this video you can loop record with AUM and Cubasis 2-

    My question is are there other, maybe easier ways to live loop record drums with an ipad pro?

  • edited January 12 Vote Up0

    @jagon said:

    @theconnactic said:
    You’re asking about loop playback or loop recording? Loop playback, yes, you can. Loop recording, no dice. In fact, there’s no iOS DAW that does loop recording of audio - only MIDI, and Auria doesn’t loop record at all. But then again, if you intend it for loop playback, you’re covered. Cheers!

    According to this video you can loop record with AUM and Cubasis 2-

    My question is are there other, maybe easier ways to live loop record drums with an ipad pro?

    Only MIDI!
    EDIT: my mistake, just watched the video, the guy may have found a workaround.

  • edited January 12 Vote Up0

    You can record audio into a looper easily. Just send the live audio signal from your interface into the input on Audiobus and then make the output a looper like Loopy. That's it. I've done it many times with drums, hardware synths, etc.

    Or are you talking about something completely different?

  • @ipadthai said:
    You can record audio into a looper easily. Just send the live audio signal from your interface into the input on Audiobus and then output is looper like Loopy. That's it. I've done it many times with drums, hardware synths, etc.

    Or are you talking about something completely different?

    Wait, I'm a newbie haha- can you explain like im 10? I' have an iPad Pro and a Tascam us 4x4. Do I need any other hardware? What apps on my iPad should I use?

    Also, will I be able to do multiple takes over and over and over again without stopping?

  • This is what you need. Enjoy.

    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207727

    P.S.: Isn’t it incredible that, many times when most specialized tools won’t get you there, it’s the free, often overlooked Garageband for iOS that has the features you need?

  • I love the way Reason 10 does the audio loop recording, giving you unlimited number of seperate “takes” that you can cut and splice together the best parts of each . I just wish it would handle midi in the same way; or even better if an iOS DAW would implement this functionality..’

    I’m currently trying to learn a million things at once, iOS and Desktop music - integrating my iPad Pro with reason via RsTouch and StudioMux ... I still use iOS daws for noodling ideas, but most of the work on desktop now.

  • Read my post above!

  • @theconnactic said:
    This is what you need. Enjoy.

    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207727

    P.S.: Isn’t it incredible that, many times when most specialized tools won’t get you there, it’s the free, often overlooked Garageband for iOS that has the features you need?

    Awesome ! Thanks for that.. I had no idea GB had that.. Seems like it could be even better than Reasons loop recording, if it handles midi and audio...

Sign In or Register to comment.