Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

KQ Dixie new AU FM synth

Comments

• edited January 2018

@RyoutaKira
    Thank you for this!

A couple small but good ideas I have,

1. Parameter changes on vertical and horizontal finger swipe. Could have horizontal adjust fine and vertical coarse or just both the same. Many apps are doing this now. (See amazing noises for example). Makes it easier especially for controls at top of screen.

2. Have Algorithm select window stay until tapping elsewhere. Like the preset window. For easier auditioning rather than it closing on each selection. And/Or ability to swipe left and right in algorithm box to fast switch.

3. Perhaps a no keyboard mode for use with external midi keyboard (most frequent use for it I would think by most). Although au mode may take care of this. ;)

Thanks again

• edited January 2018

@syrupcore said:

unfortunately I can't get Dixie to send to Volca FM. Patch base has it's own software version for it so perhaps it's a slightly different format? i remember using Dexed and it worked for some patches but not all.

This web Volca FM SYX sender is worth a try too https://www.retrokits.com/rk002/settings/kfm/patches.html

• What I haven't worked out yet with Dixie is if there's a way to combine individual patches from different banks into new fresh banks (so you can consolidate favourites into one bank) without doing that outside the app....

• @Carnbot said:
    What I haven't worked out yet with Dixie is if there's a way to combine individual patches from different banks into new fresh banks (so you can consolidate favourites into one bank) without doing that outside the app....

That's something I'd love to see too at some point.

A 'source bank'(left side) from which I could select patch(es) and copy to a 'destination bank'(right side) while at the same time being able to play the selected source patch before copying it over to the destination bank.

I guess a 'search' function would be quite hard to implement (ie. search an entire zip archive for a patch by name and then copy it to the destination bank).

• @Samu said:

@Carnbot said:
    What I haven't worked out yet with Dixie is if there's a way to combine individual patches from different banks into new fresh banks (so you can consolidate favourites into one bank) without doing that outside the app....

That's something I'd love to see too at some point.

A 'source bank'(left side) from which I could select patch(es) and copy to a 'destination bank'(right side) while at the same time being able to play the selected source patch before copying it over to the destination bank.

I guess a 'search' function would be quite hard to implement (ie. search an entire zip archive for a patch by name and then copy it to the destination bank).

I’ve sort of seen individual patch saving with a patch loaded you can store into an empty bank slot or overwrite an existing. I think this works already.

Hey, easy for me to say but I would think a simple search function looking at file names should be fairly straight-forward. It is definitely needed :)

• @Trueyorky said:

I’ve sort of seen individual patch saving with a patch loaded you can store into an empty bank slot or overwrite an existing. I think this works already.

True but it could be a lot 'smoother' like tap & select a few patches in the source bank and 'copy' them over to the destination bank :) (Think old-style Norton Commander / Directory Opus style copy of patches from left -> right).

• @Samu said:

@Trueyorky said:

True but it could be a lot 'smoother' like tap & select a few patches in the source bank and 'copy' them over to the destination bank :) (Think old-style Norton Commander / Directory Opus style copy of patches from left -> right).

Yes you can overwrite patches and change the saved name if you press store so that works :)

• @Carnbot said:

Yes you can overwrite patches and change the saved name if you press store so that works :)

Still a pain to switch between 'carts' especially when one of the is buried inside a zip archive.
    But as I've understood this area will improve with updates and it's just been out for like a few days :)

• @Samu said:

@Carnbot said:

Still a pain to switch between 'carts' especially when one of the is buried inside a zip archive.
    But as I've understood this area will improve with updates and it's just been out for like a few days :)

Yes it's confusing and this has always been an issue with DX patches so hopefully that can be improved. But so far I'm really impressed with this app :)

• The wealth of sounds in these sysex patches is totally insane.

• @Carnbot said:

@Samu said:

@Carnbot said:

Yes it's confusing and this has always been an issue with DX patches so hopefully that can be improved. But so far I'm really impressed with this app :)

Yeah this app is a great way to start 2018

• @realdavidai said:

@Carnbot said:

@Samu said:

@Carnbot said:

Yeah this app is a great way to start 2018

Agreed.

"Hey everybody - for $4 you can have hundreds of thousands of presets!"

Happy New Year to me!

• Search names would be good but a search for 'brass' I fear would throw up as many needles as hay, what would be fun would be incorporating the VolcaFM knobs, they would be great to automate via AU host control.

• I’d like to see a way to add both patches and banks to a Favourites area.
    Also a wider, tapable scroll bar when scrolling through long lists in zip files, so I can press on it and drag it down.
    Filtering out of incompatible Syx files.
    Instead of having the 3 ... making up the end of a long filename could it be in the middle somewhere so I can see the actual filename?

• @analog_matt said:
    Does this mean I can stop working on the AUv3 version of FM Player now? :D

Man, I love your FM player. It’s so aesthetically beautiful :smiley:

• edited January 2018

@RyoutaKira said:
    Hi, everyone.
    I fixed the file-name bug.
    Wait until the new version be released.

I’m had to have this gem... yippie yay ay :smile:

After trying it out... love it. The design is ultra cool.

• Wow, i am pretty late to the party but this sounds awesome!
    If the dev is looking here around... I would love to see organization of presets in some way. Maybe with category and a star rating or something like this?!

• There is a guy elsewhere on 'tinternet refusing to buy this due it's name disrespecting the American Civil War.

I do wonder about humanity sometimes (_please _don't let this observation turn this thread in a bad direction, I merely point it out through personal amusement).

• @TheVimFuego said:
    There is a guy elsewhere on 'tinternet refusing to buy this due it's name disrespecting the American Civil War.

I do wonder about humanity sometimes (_please _don't let this observation turn this thread in a bad direction, I merely point it out through personal amusement).

Oh dear, DX, Dixie, maybe someone should point doubters in this direction...

Dixie II
    Triangle Core VCO/LFO
    The Dixie II has all the great qualities and features of the original dixie but has been made a bit wider (6 hp instead of 4 hp) for better spacing and is now skiff friendly. The panel knobs are bolted on and the jacks have more space between them.

This makes a perfect modulation source to pair with the Rubicon. Add a µFold, µVCA and µFade and you have all the ingredients for a powerful and highly flexible complex timbre generator.

Features:
    Triangle core (superior for musical fm sounds)
    VCO mode range: 1 Hz to 24 kHz
    LFO mode range: 0.01 Hz (100 seconds) to 240 Hz
    Precise tracking within 0.1% over 8 octaves
    6 waveforms, including: triangle, sine, sawtooth, pulse (with PWM), square (50% duty cycle), and a unique “zigzag” waveform.
    Reversing sync (which can be made into soft sync with an external VCA or attenuator)
    Jumper on PCB to select center- or edge-triggered PWM
    $220.00 Add to cart

• All I can say is you'd have to crazy to not buy this synth.

• @TheVimFuego said:
    There is a guy elsewhere on 'tinternet refusing to buy this due it's name disrespecting the American Civil War.

I thought they were dissing paper cups...

• @knewspeak said:
    All I can say is you'd have to crazy to not buy this synth.

You know, I'm not often a supporting of sweeping statements like this, but here I have to agree. Even if you're not a huge fan of FM synthesis, the nearly infinite number of presets available via the information superhighway is staggering.

$4.00 people.

$4.00!!!!!!!

What a time to be alive.....

• Sorting somehow. Filing. Organizing. Choosing. At the very least Favorites perhaps.

Thanks again MIster Dev.

• @knewspeak said:

Is it OK that I absolutely can't stand the sounds of the DX7? I mean, really, am I the only one? I'm very happy for all you all who are flipping out. It's kind of exciting to what from the sidelines. But...huh.

Is it because I lived through the 80s and hated all the Top 40 that relied on the DX7? "What's Love Got to Do With It?" "One More Night"?
    Every single patch in this video makes my skin crawl.

• That wasn't very nice. I don't want to rain on anybody's parade. But I just totally don't get it.

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    That wasn't very nice. I don't want to rain on anybody's parade. But I just totally don't get it.

I’m sort of with you on this until you start mangling the patches at which point you can hear Aphex BOC and lots of industrial shananagans rather than Rick Astley

• @ExAsperis99 said:

@knewspeak said:

Is it OK that I absolutely can't stand the sounds of the DX7? I mean, really, am I the only one? I'm very happy for all you all who are flipping out. It's kind of exciting to what from the sidelines. But...huh.

Is it because I lived through the 80s and hated all the Top 40 that relied on the DX7? "What's Love Got to Do With It?" "One More Night"?

I honestly am never, ever looking for the sound of a DX7 so you are absolutely not alone. I rarely get excited for emulations at all. I never care if they sound like the thing they’re emulating, I only care if I like the sound and the possibilities.

With that said, I loooooove this thing. It sounds fantastic even when it’s not doing the Doogie Howser or the Seinfield. And all the amazing patches I loaded in a matter of minutes? This is definitely a top synth for me.

• @DCJ said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

@knewspeak said:

I honestly am never, ever looking for the sound of a DX7 so you are absolutely not alone. I rarely get excited for emulations at all. I never care if they sound like the thing they’re emulating, I only care if I like the sound and the possibilities.

With that said, I loooooove this thing. It sounds fantastic even when it’s not doing the Doogie Howser or the Seinfield. And all the amazing patches I loaded in a matter of minutes? This is definitely a top synth for me.

That's about as high a recommendation as I could hope for.

• @ExAsperis99 I have a love/hate thing with the DX-7 sounds. On the one hand, I HATED these tones back in the day, mostly because they sounded miles away from the real instrument and just sounded Casio-keyboard cheap to my ears.

Now, I feel differently because I have some perspective, and because these aren't the greatest/newest synths on the planet any more. The world has moved on, so now you can both use these for period-type tones, or craft something entirely unique.

It's not so much about the DX-7 with this app, more that it can be a stand alone synth, but also play the original files from the DX. A win for anyone even mildly interested, no matter whether you hate the DX presets or not.

• edited January 2018

@SheffieldBleep said:

@ExAsperis99 said:
    That wasn't very nice. I don't want to rain on anybody's parade. But I just totally don't get it.

I’m sort of with you on this until you start mangling the patches at which point you can hear Aphex BOC and lots of industrial shananagans rather than Rick Astley

I know exactly what you mean, I didn't like FM at first for all the same reasons. I think because it's a really hard form of synthesis to program meant people relied on the same patches which lead to generic sounds and this gave it a
    bad name. But I like it for the otherworldly BOC/Autechre/Aphex /Eno stuff too. The range of sonic possibility is huge.

Trouble is most of the patches out there are terrible so it's sifting through to find good ones and mangling those unless you are into the usual stuff.

But an app like this might help bring FM to new people to program new sounds too as Dixie is much more friendly to use than most editors. :)