Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Please enlighten me on ios apps, daws, music production techniques

Hello, writing from an iPad mini 4 I got a few weeks ago, I have been using GarageBand and cubasis so far, but I feel extreme limited still.

I really like iOS so far, and garage band seems like the only ,,touch,, daw out there with good keyboard/string instrument kontrols, aka no midi keyboard required. Cubasis piano roll is too small, I need to hook up midi keyboard.

I want to edit midi data like fl studio piano roll, and have freedom in easily stacking many instruments and Eqing them. I find garage band only good for recording parts, mixing and midi editing sux. Cubase is better at midi editing but not like I want yet. It’s mixer is good.

Is there any apps I should check out? I find the workflow slow and lacking power or an easy way to get things done.

Tbh if fl studio just ported their piano roll, and something like , click instrument, click mixer track bam assigned, a drop down menu for Fx. I just feel like all these extra menus are unnessary, and the daws could be a lot better on iOS.

Comments

• I find the workflow slow and lacking power or an easy way to get things done.

I you are searching for easy way to get things done and super intuitive UX/UI, you need wait for a while until this will be released :)
    http://forums.blipinteractive.co.uk/node/11615

• Otherwise, try Xequence for Piano roll or Quantum for Step Sequencer.

• Auria, BM3 and NS2 when it arrives.

• edited January 2018

But prepare for one fact - every iOS DAW have some advantages and some disadvantages .. It's always about compromises what is important for you and what is not ..

Good to mention also Korg Gadget (thats something between Reason and Ableton Live, just lot lo LOT more simplier) ..

@tja
    Otherwise, try Xequence for Piano roll or Quantum for Step Sequence

Those are just midi sequencers, so you need to combine them with something other (AUM in most cases) to host synths / FXs .. i think that guy is searching complete all-in-one DAW in first place ...

• Maybe BM3? Might feel more at home using that

• Like @dendy says iOS and computers are very different user experiences. Probably best to not expect that your experience on iOS will be similar to experience on a computer. For many here using iOS means adapting to the environment and taking advantage of the unique assets it offers. For me those are inspiring, creative interfaces and sound generators that capitalize on touch

• You could try the poor mans gadget- caustic. It is pretty sweet

• There aren’t a lot of complete DAWs in the iOS world. I use Auria, but I’m not a huge midi editor. However, it’s a complete set, and might be worth checking out. You’ll need the pro version to get midi.

That being said, if you find the onscreen keyboard too smal, well, you did buy an iPad mini. You probably want to get an external keyboard, if that’s your problem, as I can’t see it getting any better otherwise.

• edited January 2018

Rather that asking a mega generic question that is an iOS world's comparable to

'does God exist?',

you could do worse than going through all the videos by @jakoB_haQ and @thesoundtestroom and rummage/stick around on this forum and enlightenment will come. Unless this thread is your way to say hi, in which case:

Hi! :)

• You could just use iOS touch instruments to play live and record your midi or audio, but send it to FL Studio to edit it like you are already used to. It is what I did when I first started with iOS. Then gradually check out more of the cool iOS sequencers and synths. That is where the fun stuff is for me now. But the adjustment to full-on iOS music creating was gradual for me, coming from FL Studio on a PC.

• edited January 2018

@rickwaugh said:
    There aren’t a lot of complete DAWs in the iOS world. I use Auria, but I’m not a huge midi editor.

And that is exactly weak point of Auria :-) MIDI editor (+ how automations are implemented) .
    It is there, but not super UX/UI friendly ..

• Welcome to the Thunderdome! :smiley:

I think it’s more appropriate to ask the question no one has yet…
    What kind of music are you trying to create? I find certain apps are better suited for certain genres/subgenres of music than others. Some have touched upon some good choices here already, but answering this question I feel will help you begin to wrap your mind around what apps to include in your arsenal. However, if you have the money…I say buy them all :lol: regardless of what kind of music you’re going to make! So many great tools on iOS.