Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

KQ Dixie new AU FM synth

Comments

• @oat_phipps said:
    Maybe I have price = quality bias, but not seeing the big deal with this. Loading sysex is awesome, but less so when the sound quality isn’t there. This doesn’t have the bite of the DX7...just compare the good ol’ Bass 1 preset to FM player’s, which is sampled, but still. The Dixie synth sounds like ‘In the style of...’ karaoke versions of the DX7 patches.

No, it's really nice in comparison, I have a DX7 II (TX802 rack mount) and have been comparing patches all afternoon in a mix. There's a little bit more body and top end bite in the hardware as you'd expect but it's a nice recreation.

• @oat_phipps said:

How much you want for it?

Unless you are here in Japan, probably not a reasoanable amount :)

• edited January 2018

@DYMS said:

@oat_phipps said:

How much you want for it?

Unless you are here in Japan, probably not a reasoanable amount :)

You’re in Japan too? What are the odds!?!

Edit: I forget it’s the internet from time to time, just a joke. I’m in the US.

• @Carnbot said:

@oat_phipps said:
    Maybe I have price = quality bias, but not seeing the big deal with this. Loading sysex is awesome, but less so when the sound quality isn’t there. This doesn’t have the bite of the DX7...just compare the good ol’ Bass 1 preset to FM player’s, which is sampled, but still. The Dixie synth sounds like ‘In the style of...’ karaoke versions of the DX7 patches.

No, it's really nice in comparison, I have a DX7 II (TX802 rack mount) and have been comparing patches all afternoon in a mix. There's a little bit more body and top end bite in the hardware as you'd expect but it's a nice recreation.

It not quite the usual analog v Virtual analog thing in that the original was digital. Im sure someone’s done the analysis of what artifacts the hardware version introduced into the sound. I bought a DX7 for my kid, it had a raw unruly digital quality that I really liked, and I found it quickly in Dixie by mucking about

• @Littlewoodg said:

@Carnbot said:

@oat_phipps said:

It not quite the usual analog v Virtual analog thing in that the original was digital. Im sure someone’s done the analysis of what artifacts the hardware version introduced into the sound. I bought a DX7 for my kid, it had a raw unruly digital quality that I really liked, and I found it quickly in Dixie by mucking about

Buy of the year (so far :))

• Not sure I need another FM synth but... I could talked into purchasing if anyone could share if there are interesting soundscape sysex patches out there?

• In the next version, folder view in zip and copying files will be supported.

• @RyoutaKira said:
    In the next version, folder view in zip and copying files will be supported.

Thank you! That’s great news.

• @StormJH1 said:
    @syrupcore & @Carnbot - For simply _transferring _patches to the Volca FM - I recommend this app:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/volca-fm-buddy/id1152530986?mt=8

Not only is it free, and runs very smoothly as a patch library, it sends the programs one at a time using a CV cable (just a 3.5mm audio cable), which is just a lot more convenient than setting up a DIN MIDI connection through an interface.

For editing Volca FM or DX7 patches, there is the coffeeshopped app (Patch Base), which cost $20 per editor (or like $50 for universal unlock, I think). I actually don't do FM patch editing/creation, but I previously used this one as it was the only way to send patches from an iOS mobile device.

But, yeah, this KQ Dixie app is something special. I've only been able to try it on my phone so far, and even there, the UI is just terrific - massively better than KQ Mini Synth, which was one of the earliest AU adopters.

Thanks @Carnbot and @StormJH1. VolcaFM Buddy is cool but that's purely a librarian. I still haven't bought Patch Base (because I'm cheap). If KQ Dixie can work with the VFM it seems like the ultimate—can handle random sysex find from the internet and work as a patch editor and, like Dexed on the desktop, work as a stand alone DX FM synth—something Patch Base can not. Could play with this any old time to create patches and then send them to the VFM whenever it's convenient.

@RyoutaKira Is it possible to send sysex to the VolcaFM with the app? Would love to use this as an editor for it. Presumably it just drops any of the parameters not available on the original DX7 like the filter, delay, etc...

• @syrupcore said:
    @RyoutaKira Is it possible to send sysex to the VolcaFM with the app? Would love to use this as an editor for it. Presumably it just drops any of the parameters not available on the original DX7 like the filter, delay, etc...

I don't know if VolcaFM could receive DX7 sysex. I hope it can.

• @Carnbot said:
    There's a little bit more body and top end bite in the hardware as you'd expect but it's a nice recreation.

And that's most likely due to the DAC & Sine-Tables used on the original?

Are we comparing the iPad's 'headphone output'(with or without measurement mode being on) or thru a dedicated audio-interface. These parameters alone affect the end result of the comparison.

• @RyoutaKira said:

@syrupcore said:

I would be interested to know if it will also work as editor for the Yamaha Reface DX....been pondering one of those for a while...this could be the deal maker on that.

• @AndyPlankton said:

@RyoutaKira said:

@syrupcore said:

I would be interested to know if it will also work as editor for the Yamaha Reface DX....been pondering one of those for a while...this could be the deal maker on that.

Scratch that, Reface DX is only 4 operator :|

• Here is my demo video

• @thesoundtestroom said:
    Here is my demo video

One smooth operator demoing several others.

• @thesoundtestroom sure is a great app Doug :)

• @RyoutaKira said:

Thank you!:-)

I know I’ve been nagging you on Twitter (only because I like the synth) but, 2 octaves option on the large keys, maybe even blade style scale keys down the road (as in Nave, Thor, VirSyn stuff etc). And velocity or some kind of modulation that would make sense to slap on the keys, both touch points and movement of finger(s) when holding down keys. On-screen keys I mean, I’m a firm believer in using that glass surface as a viable option to real keys. Anyway, I’m off to load 100k of patches, that I’ll never use, into this sucker!

• @RyoutaKira please please add a search box - much needed to navigate thousands of patches.

• @RyoutaKira said:

@syrupcore said:

Yes it does. You can send from Dexed plugin standard DX7 patches to VolcaFM so i guess it will work perfectly also with KQ Dixie ;-)

• @Trueyorky said:
    @RyoutaKira please please add a search box - much needed to navigate thousands of patches.

+1

• Nice work!
    Very impressive.

• @paradiddle said:
    Still have mine! :) I use it has a controller and the feel on the keys is awesome!

@Purpan said:
    This is absolutely outstanding. It's (almost) a replacement for my old battered DX7, which I still miss, 14 years after selling it for a frankly derisory sum.

Aye, the keybed was great. (sobs)

• @RyoutaKira said:

Nice thanks!

• @StormJH1 said:
    @syrupcore & @Carnbot - For simply _transferring _patches to the Volca FM - I recommend this app:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/volca-fm-buddy/id1152530986?mt=8

Not only is it free, and runs very smoothly as a patch library, it sends the programs one at a time using a CV cable (just a 3.5mm audio cable), which is just a lot more convenient than setting up a DIN MIDI connection through

I never got this app to send anything to my Volca fm. Tried every volume setting, but nothing worked :(

• @Samu said:

@Carnbot said:
    There's a little bit more body and top end bite in the hardware as you'd expect but it's a nice recreation.

And that's most likely due to the DAC & Sine-Tables used on the original?

Are we comparing the iPad's 'headphone output'(with or without measurement mode being on) or thru a dedicated audio-interface. These parameters alone affect the end result of the comparison.

Yeah I guess it's the DAC I'm not sure. I always use an audio interface when using with hardware.

There's more noise in the original. I had a TX7 too (now sold) which came with a lot of noise and this adds to the warmth. Same with the TX802. but if you add the noise back in Dixie can sound almost identical, so in a way Dixie has an advantage over the original if you don't want noise. Most patches it's difficult to tell them apart, there are few I've tried which if side by side I prefer the TX but it's minimal.

One thing you have to watch for is that for some reason Dixie has a delay on some patches so you just turn that off to get it to match the DX version.

• edited January 2018

Here's a quick side by side Dixie vs DX7 demo https://www.dropbox.com/s/x3hxq951eb5sa8n/Dixie vs DX7.wav?dl=0

first 9 seconds are one device, second nine seconds the other. Then 18 to 33 seconds one device, then 33 to 54 the other. Then from 54 to the end there's one note from each.

Minimal processing involved in the export. Through headphones it's easier to spot but just shows what a great job this is I think. :)

• @LeeB said:

I never got this app to send anything to my Volca fm. Tried every volume setting, but nothing worked :(

yeah same here ..

• @Carnbot said:
    Here's a quick side by side Dixie vs DX7 demo https://www.dropbox.com/s/x3hxq951eb5sa8n/Dixie vs DX7.wav?dl=0

first 9 seconds are one device, second nine seconds the other. Then 18 to 33 seconds one device, then 33 to 54 the other. Then from 54 to the end there's one note from each.

Minimal processing involved in the export. Through headphones it's easier to spot but just shows what a great job this is I think. :)

thanks for test !

this is impressive .. when you add some FX, put it into song playing together with other tracks - there is no chance anobody without ears like bat or whale can hear difference ... @RyoutaKira great job !

• edited January 2018

@Carnbot said:

Awesome. Thank you. Through stereo speakers very hard to tell.