Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

KQ Dixie new AU FM synth

Comments

• @Carnbot said:
    It's strange that the icloud folder isn't showing up on my other devices yet. Not sure if iCloud is a bit flakey. Hope this gets Files support at some point. Great synth though. Really captures that DX7 sound.

Files.app support would be goodie since it's in practice the iTunes folder.
    But how do I move all the *.zip's so I can access them in the AUv3?

• @gusgranite said:
    @RyoutaKira - this is a lovely creation. I think I have found a bug in that it crashes every time I try to save a bank as an AU preset. It lets me rename and then crashes in save. I have tested with the default sysex bank and with different sysex files and have tried reinstalling. I’m on iPad Pro 10.5 and iOS 11.2.

It would be a great timesaver if there was an option to automatically save Sysex file banks as AU presets. You could then go through and delete the ones you don’t want.

Thank you!

iOS 11.2.1 to be precise :smile:

• @Samu said:

@Carnbot said:
    It's strange that the icloud folder isn't showing up on my other devices yet. Not sure if iCloud is a bit flakey. Hope this gets Files support at some point. Great synth though. Really captures that DX7 sound.

I've not been working with zips yet but with the SYX files. In the cart if you press store, then new for a new bank, then you can rename and save the new bank in the AU section. It should then show up in the AU. At first they didn't show up automatically but now they are so not sure why..... but it's working now for me.

• edited January 2018

@Samu said:

@Carnbot said:

Looks like for now they have to be extracted and added to AU one by one using the stand alone app. Would be nice if Files app exposed the underlying folder. Actually that would be epic

• Another 'thing' I noticed is that while *.zip files work when manually dropped to the 'Documents' folder using a computer the app throws an 'invalid archive' error when sending the same *.zip file using 'Open In...' so in order to load *.zip archived a computer needs to be used.

If/When the AUv3 supports *.zip files it will be even more fun :)

• Man this is my new fave auv3

• edited January 2018

@dendy said:
    Is there anybody with DX7 and time to do some comparision test like record same patch from Dixie and real DX7 ? Would be very interesting to hear it ..

You can turn off the reverb & delay in FM Player to hear how the patches sound compared to a recorded DX7. (I feel bad for mentioning FM Player in this thread). FM Player is free and open-source, and we never intend to make any money off of it. So, I do not stand to profit from mentioning it.

Plus, I respect @RyoutaKira's work and have supported him by buying a copy of KQ Dixie! And, encourage other DX7 enthusiasts to do the same. B)

• @analog_matt said:

@dendy said:
    Is there anybody with DX7 and time to do some comparision test like record same patch from Dixie and real DX7 ? Would be very interesting to hear it ..

You can turn off the reverb & delay in FM Player to hear how the patches sound compared to a recorded DX7. (I feel bad for mentioning FM Player in this thread). FM Player is free and open-source, and we never intend to make any money off of it. So, I do not stand to profit from mentioning it.

Plus, I respect @RyoutaKira's work and have supported him by buying a copy of KQ Dixie! And, encourage other DX7 enthusiasts to do the same. B)

Don't feel bad. We have you marked down in the file as 'One of the really good guys, can be a little too apologetic' :)

• @YZJustDatGuy said:
    I’m gonna have to grab this on Friday along with the Korg Volca FM that I’ve been eyeing. Now I can share presets back and forth with it. Greatness

That's exactly what I wanted it for! But even better, it's the first FM synth that actually loads .syx files for DX7 on iOS - I'd complained for months that there wasn't an equivalent of Dexed for iOS and now we have one. This is an astonishing value and even more amazing that it works on iPhone. The DX7 library is enormous. It's really only something like Korg iM1 or bs-16i (soundfonts) that offered this amount of "grab-and-go" playability in one package up until now. So a gigantic THANK YOU to the developer, this is much appreciated.

Also thanks to @Littlewoodg for posting some zip files that actually loaded. At first, I had some problems. It doesn't seem to load a lot of .syx files I already had on my phone (these are ones that worked with the 4-operator Volca FM). But I suspect it's just the file name glitch identified above, as one of the zips posted worked and loaded in thousands of the JackDeckard patches.

This is huge for Volca FM users because there wasn't a way before this to audition FM patches without actually hooking up the Volca with a MIDI cable or CV cable. I have some .sysex Volca FM patches from Oscillator Sink, but can't get those to load either (only .syx).

Still, this is amazing, and I'm excited to see where it goes with a few tweaks and bug fixes.

• edited January 2018

How did you guys import zips into the app? Using Open In? I got that to work for only one of the zips above. The others all loaded into the app, but then it said "invalid archive" where the 32-patch banks should have been listed.

Individual .syx files, which is the file extension used by the KQ factory presets, just give an "unsupported" error message, and will not load with Open In. Just letting the dev know - I know an update/fix of some kind is on the way, but I'm not sure if it addresses this.

(Partial correction: I was able to load a few of the .syx banks, like the Eno one and the 3 Keyboard Magazine ones from the web collection, which are some of my favorite. I will await the update before engaging in further nitpicking with this AWESOME app).

• Some of the files say not supported and some say 32 patch bank, so that lets you know what works. The ability to just load the zip is awesome- you can open in kq right from safari, or download them somewhere else- I used goodreader just so I had them saved elsewhere and I airdropped them to iPad as well from there.

All I can say is this synth is awesome if you need these sounds for anything- I can’t say I need them but couldn’t resist and wanted to support a good developer. But as I explore some of the bass presets I’m finding some interesting things that I could imagine using.

All in all, a very nice surprise yesterday!

• @mrufino1 - Thanks, totally agree. Some of my issues seemed to just solve themselves after I closed and restarted the app. This is v1.0 and "Open In" is something a lot of developers don't even get right until several updates later, so I'm already very encouraged.

I believe it is responding to velocity from an external MIDI keyboard, also! That may seem like a forgone conclusion, but Volca FM does not support keyboard velocity on the ribbon keyboard or even with a 5-pin MIDI keyboard connected (unless you add a $40 3rd party cable with a processor built in). Hate to say it because I love so many things about the Volca FM, but it only stores 32 sounds at a time, has some notable limitations, and KQ Dixie is just looking so much easier. A $4 app turns my iPhone into a 6-operator FM synth with tens of thousands of presets available on the web!

I ran to the App Store to give a 5-star review as quick as I could after trying everything out.

• It's amazingly close to a DX7, in fact I prefer it over the sound of Volca FM for sure which can't match a lot of DX patches. It's working really well as a controller for my TX802.

• Cool
    Bought and liking! Allows me to temporarily delete some other fm synths taking up space.
    A+ so far

• @Samu said:
    Another 'thing' I noticed is that while *.zip files work when manually dropped to the 'Documents' folder using a computer the app throws an 'invalid archive' error when sending the same *.zip file using 'Open In...' so in order to load *.zip archived a computer needs to be used.

If/When the AUv3 supports *.zip files it will be even more fun :)

I used AudioShare to load zip files using files.app then unloaded contents inside KQ Dixie. Awesome.

• @Carnbot said:

@Samu said:

@Carnbot said:

I've not been working with zips yet but with the SYX files. In the cart if you press store, then new for a new bank, then you can rename and save the new bank in the AU section. It should then show up in the AU. At first they didn't show up automatically but now they are so not sure why..... but it's working now for me.

I am still struggling with saving into AU.

• @Trueyorky said:

Took me a while to figure out but here's how I do it...

Select a .syx file, tap 'store' select 'new' give it a name, select AUx and press 'save'.

As far as I know *.zip files are not supported inside AUv3 at the moment so you'll need to copy the *.syx files and copy/save those over to the AUv3.

• @Samu said:

@Trueyorky said:

Took me a while to figure out but here's how I do it...

Select a .syx file, tap 'store' select 'new' give it a name, select AUx and press 'save'.

As far as I know *.zip files are not supported inside AUv3 at the moment so you'll need to copy the *.syx files and copy/save those over to the AUv3.

Yes keep trying that but crashes soon as I press save. I tried keeping the .syx file extension and just typing a name but crashes every time.

• @Trueyorky said:

Yes keep trying that but crashes soon as I press save. I tried keeping the .syx file extension and just typing a name but crashes every time.

For me it adds the *.syx extension automatically so no need to type it it.

• @Samu said:

@Trueyorky said:

For me it adds the *.syx extension automatically so no need to type it it.

OK so when I go STORE - NEW the file name box shows bank.syx Do you see this and overtype it?

• I expect a fix will come for AU presets so I’m going to hold tight.

• @Trueyorky said:

OK so when I go STORE - NEW the file name box shows bank.syx Do you see this and overtype it?

That's right.
    I just type in the original *.syx files name (ROM1A, ROM1B, ROM2A etc.) and the app adds the *.syx when saving.

• Having the same problem with the audio units, otherwise an excellent recreation

• @Samu said:

@Trueyorky said:

That's right.
    I just type in the original *.syx files name (ROM1A, ROM1B, ROM2A etc.) and the app adds the *.syx when saving.

Crashes for me using Air 2 iOS 11.2.1 but I did find a workaround using AU preset save in AUM but they don’t show in BM3.

• I've read in a few places that this can work as a graphical editor for/send sysex to the dx7 or volcaFM. I don't see that in the app description, translated manual or demo video. Could someone confirm that this is possible?

• @syrupcore said:
    I've read in a few places that this can work as a graphical editor for/send sysex to the dx7 or volcaFM. I don't see that in the app description, translated manual or demo video. Could someone confirm that this is possible?

DX7 yes and works really well, but can't get it to send to Volca yet, not sure if that works.

• @syrupcore & @Carnbot - For simply _transferring _patches to the Volca FM - I recommend this app:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/volca-fm-buddy/id1152530986?mt=8

Not only is it free, and runs very smoothly as a patch library, it sends the programs one at a time using a CV cable (just a 3.5mm audio cable), which is just a lot more convenient than setting up a DIN MIDI connection through an interface.

For editing Volca FM or DX7 patches, there is the coffeeshopped app (Patch Base), which cost $20 per editor (or like $50 for universal unlock, I think). I actually don't do FM patch editing/creation, but I previously used this one as it was the only way to send patches from an iOS mobile device.

But, yeah, this KQ Dixie app is something special. I've only been able to try it on my phone so far, and even there, the UI is just terrific - massively better than KQ Mini Synth, which was one of the earliest AU adopters.

• edited January 2018

Maybe I have price = quality bias, but not seeing the big deal with this. Loading sysex is awesome, but less so when the sound quality isn’t there. This doesn’t have the bite of the DX7...just compare the good ol’ Bass 1 preset to FM player’s, which is sampled, but still. The Dixie synth sounds like ‘In the style of...’ karaoke versions of the DX7 patches.

• @Littlewoodg said:

@yowza said:

Here’s a link to a zip that includes about a million classic patches

http://bobbyblues.recup.ch/yamaha_dx7/patches/DX7_AllTheWeb.zip

A few years ago a room mate gave me her dad's DX7 iid when she moved out. I never really spent much time with it as I wasn’t sure how to program it, make it sound the way I wanted.

Would this app help me create / tranfer patches? Complete DX7 noob here, so please treat gently :)

• @DYMS said:

@Littlewoodg said:

@yowza said:

Here’s a link to a zip that includes about a million classic patches

http://bobbyblues.recup.ch/yamaha_dx7/patches/DX7_AllTheWeb.zip

A few years ago a room mate gave me her dad's DX7 iid when she moved out. I never really spent much time with it as I wasn’t sure how to program it, make it sound the way I wanted.

Would this app help me create / tranfer patches? Complete DX7 noob here, so please treat gently :)

How much you want for it?