Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Multitracking IOS midi+audio live - is Auria Pro the bomb? : Pro's & Cons

edited January 2018 in General App Discussion

Advice needed.
I'm sick of faffing around with apps and recording them into my DAW, been doing it for a couple of years...

I need a fool proof way of working going forward on IOS, to record audio and midi (live) in some way that I can export the whole shebang into my DAW for further editing / VST's etc and then mixing.

I have had Auria Pro for sometime thinking I may use it for the odd project, but now seriously considering just working in it all the time for ease of getting everything back out to DAW again.
I'm going to do very little processing as far as FX - unless something really grabs me
So leaving this to my vast array of irreplaceable VST's etc.
I usually record live performances, and app interactions, recording the audio and midi at the same time, so I can use the midi again in DAW with Kontakt Orchestral libraries, my analog synths, VSTi's etc.

Stuff I'm (generally) using:
Patterning, Fugue Machine, Gestrument, Rozetta, Ruismaker, Borderlands, SynthScaper, DRC, Senode, Refractions, iSymphonic, ChordPolyPad, Animoog, PPG Infinate, Thumbjam, StepPolyArp, ReSlice...Maybe some Quanum, Samvada in there too.

So who of you guys and gals are working with Auria Pro?
Importantly : What are the positives and negatives of going down this route?

Your collective advice and wisdom would be much appreciated :#

Comments

• If you already have all the apps you need for what you're proposing...Just go for it and see if it's a workflow you dig ;)

Doesn't seem like something where there'll be too many variables for what you're proposing to do and what works for one person's needs might not feel 'good enough' for you.

Set up an auria project template of how/what you want laid out and hit record. See how it goes :)

Good luck with it.

• edited January 2018

For me main disadvantage of Auria is UI. I think it is not ideally responsive, specailly in sequencer part .. some controls are very tiny, i feel the UX/UI not ideally optimalised for iPad touchscreen ... Also responsivity when dragging droping, resizing, drawing automation - i was a bit dissapointed how it works in Auria ..

But that may be just my personal feeling, i'm pretty sure somebody will disagree with me

What is really not ideal is how automation is implemented in Auria. If you have more automation on track, you cannot see all of them simultaneously, you need to switch between them.. But this is also problem in BM3 and Cubasis - looks like developers cannot imagine projects where you have more than 1-2 automations per tracks :))

This was solved good way in BM2, where you can add as much "virtual" tracks for given track directly in serquencer and hod on each automation curve on independen track, so you see all of them at once.

• Workflow is such a personal thing there's no way of knowing if what works for one person is going to work for another.

But I do use Auria Pro for all my projects, just went and looked in my Dropbox and I have 82 completed songs all done in Auria, over the course of the last 4 years. However I don't use the desktop at all, bar for Revoice Pro (and Melodyne in the past) and very occasionally to fix glitches in Adobe Audition - I do all my mixing in Auria.

So while I find the workflow stable and satisfactory for my own use, it might not be right for you. I'm pretty sure it's easy to export stems and MIDI from Auria for example, but it's not something I've needed to do myself.

What I do take into account is that I am working on a mobile platform, and even now (especially as I have an Air 2 and not one of the latest Pro models) this means using resource management wisely: I always bounce MIDI to audio as soon as I can and I avoid keeping too many tracks in a "live" state, with IAA or AU instruments loaded. Much better to print and move on.

The one area where it's perfectly OK to not commit is the native plugins: it's possible to run a lot of live FabFilters at the mixing stage as long as the buffer is set high enough - but this isn't likely to apply to you since you want to mix elsewhere.

Nonetheless you should be able to have plenty of MIDI and audio tracks running in an Auria project, what you might not be able to do is to have a large amount of AU and/or IAA synths live, simply because the CPU won't be able to handle it. So what I would suggest is to export the MIDI and print the audio to keep working.

• edited January 2018

Thanks Richard - I've noticed you are pretty versed on it.
    I may have 10 stereo Audio + 10 midi tracks max,
    no Fab filters, No EQ - probably no FX at all.
    I'm on Ipad Pro 12 inch (V1)
    I just need a good reliable platform to record, do the odd edit, and then move straight over to computer.
    Am I going to run into any problems not being able to run certain apps in AP?
    Or Midi routing bottlenecks?

@Dendy - no automation, no sequencer either. (all the sequencing from apps)
    Just good old school multitracking - getting the ideas down.

• edited January 2018

@Mayo said:
    Thanks Richard - I've noticed you are pretty versed on it.
    I may have 10 stereo Audio + 10 midi tracks max,
    no Fab filters, No EQ - probably no FX at all.
    I'm on Ipad Pro 12 inch (V1)
    I just need a good reliable platform to record, do the odd edit, and then move straight over to computer.
    Am I going to run into any problems not being able to run certain apps in AP?
    Or Midi routing bottlenecks?

Just freeze midi/bounce IAA as you go if needed.

• Good advice - thanks

• Not many tutorial vids out there on midi routing etc :/

• @Mayo said:
    Not many tutorial vids out there on midi routing etc :/

Have you seen this one? It's not mine but I posted it in another thread yesterday:

• Watching now - thanks Richard :)

• edited January 2018

@Mayo said:

Ah ok.. then most probably Auria will work ok for you .. in case you don't need Auria's plugins, then also Cubasis can work pretty well as basic multitrack recorder (in my opinion maybe better, UI/UX is lot smoother in Cubasis, it is better optimised for iPad touchscreen, and you can export project and import it into "big" Cubase on desktop if you want)

• edited January 2018

@richardyot
    Thanks that video is promising.
    So to do up to 10 live tracks + midi - would this the best approach?
    Not sure how midi can be sent to multiple destinations from the one midi track if needed?
    How would I get around this?

I have noticed elsewhere others are using audiobus - but not 100% sure if there is any advantage or disadvantage to doing this for what I'm trying to do

It seems pretty simple to use - If I can find a way to route midi to multiple places all should be good
    (apart from my fat fingers trying to hit tiny buttons..)

Sorry for the bombardment of questions... :/

• In Cubasis, the same can be done, but you cannot load AU on such an Audio Track - It Only allows Inter Audio Apps, beside Mono or Stereo and AudioBus.

I did not test this setup with AU in AudioBus and how exactly this would to be configured.

• @Mayo said:
    @richardyot
    Thanks that video is promising.
    So to do up to 10 live tracks + midi - would this the best approach?
    Not sure how midi can be sent to multiple destinations from the one midi track if needed?
    How would I get around this?

I have noticed elsewhere others are using audiobus - but not 100% sure if there is any advantage or disadvantage to doing this for what I'm trying to do

It seems pretty simple to use - If I can find a way to route midi to multiple places all should be good
    (apart from my fat fingers trying to hit tiny buttons..)

Sorry for the bombardment of questions... :/

Not sure if it's possible to route MIDI to multiple destinations, it's just not something I ever need to do.

• I think Auria Pro is probably the most full featured DAW if you’re looking for one that compares to a desktop, the one con for me is that it doesn’t have manual punching in , which to a degree makes it less spontaneous, like if I’m practicing with or jamming with a track and just want to hit that record button to catch it while I’m feeling it, instead, hitting record will stop the track, or if I want to punch in we have to set in and out points then record, which is perfect for some situations but not all.
    I tend to record in Cubasis, and use Auria for mixing.

• @Strizbiz said:
    I think Auria Pro is probably the most full featured DAW if you’re looking for one that compares to a desktop, the one con for me is that it doesn’t have manual punching in , which to a degree makes it less spontaneous, like if I’m practicing with or jamming with a track and just want to hit that record button to catch it while I’m feeling it, instead, hitting record will stop the track, or if I want to punch in we have to set in and out points then record, which is perfect for some situations but not all.

How do you go about transferring your Cubasis tracks to Auria? How big are your projects, generally?

• @syrupcore said:

@Strizbiz said:
    I think Auria Pro is probably the most full featured DAW if you’re looking for one that compares to a desktop, the one con for me is that it doesn’t have manual punching in , which to a degree makes it less spontaneous, like if I’m practicing with or jamming with a track and just want to hit that record button to catch it while I’m feeling it, instead, hitting record will stop the track, or if I want to punch in we have to set in and out points then record, which is perfect for some situations but not all.

How do you go about transferring your Cubasis tracks to Auria? How big are your projects, generally?

My projects vary , from small 8 track ideas to over 24. In Cubasis you can mix down separate files for each track, and share each track with Auria Pro, which is fine for me for smaller projects, but if I have a song with a lot of tracks, Ill just use ITunes on my MacBook Pro and drag the mixdown folder onto my desktop, ( I used to drop them in my dropBox folder from there ), now I drop them in my Icloud drive folder and then drag them straight into Auria Pro from the files app, but you can use DropBox with the files app too so either way is fine, I have more space with my Icloud drive than I do with DropBox. I'm hoping Cubasis will implement the new files app soon, that would make things sooo much easier, then I wouldn't have to use my MacBook Pro to transfer files.

• @Strizbiz said:

@syrupcore said:

@Strizbiz said:

My projects vary , from small 8 track ideas to over 24. In Cubasis you can mix down separate files for each track, and share each track with Auria Pro, which is fine for me for smaller projects, but if I have a song with a lot of tracks, Ill just use ITunes on my MacBook Pro and drag the mixdown folder onto my desktop, ( I used to drop them in my dropBox folder from there ), now I drop them in my Icloud drive folder and then drag them straight into Auria Pro from the files app, but you can use DropBox with the files app too so either way is fine, I have more space with my Icloud drive than I do with DropBox. I'm hoping Cubasis will implement the new files app soon, that would make things sooo much easier, then I wouldn't have to use my MacBook Pro to transfer files.

Thanks for the breakdown.