Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

BM2, Thumbjam, and iSymphonic Orchestra

Hello! New to iOS musicmaking and learning a lot. Lately, I've been trying to control iSymphonic Orchestra using Thumbjam, while also being able to record midi and audio in BeatMaker 2.

I have been able to control iSymphonic from TJ using Audiobus, but not with IAA or IAA midi. Nothing is sounding or recording in Beatmaker 2.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks a lot guys.

Comments

• Maybe post exactly what you did?

• @tja Thanks. I have started Audiobus with TJ in the input and iSymphonic in the output. iSymphonic always has a pop-up to choose what midi to listen to, and the options are Inter app midi only or both inter app midi and core midi. I always choose both.

Then playing any instrument in TJ will sound whatever preset I have in iSymphonic. I found a workaround where I record the midi in iSymphonic and then export it to BM2 (there is a share button hidden in the track playback area). Not ideal, but this way I can edit the performance in BM2 and keep on working.

Of course, I would like to be able to record the midi in BM2 directly when controlling iSymphonic with TJ. I tried adding BM2 as a second output in Audiobus so that my chain is:

TJ -> effect (currently none) -> iSymphonic/BM2

This is when I don't get any sound in BM2. I'll keep fooling around to see what I can come up with, but my workaround will suffice for now.

Thanks!

• First, a question:

Do you have AUM?

• And how can I prevent ThumbJam to play it's own sound?
    Cannot get rid of the loaded instrument and find no option to mute it.

• select volume...

and instrument mute

• @tja I do have AUM. I did think about routing the Audiobus setup through AUM and have the output be BM2, but I didn't have a chance to try this setup yet. Also, I never had the issue of TJ playing its own sound while using Audiobus.

@Suboidua Thanks for posting the screens. This will help if I need to mute in the future.

• tjatja
    edited January 2018

I tried the above and even get a message that says that the instrument is muted.
    But still, I can hear the piano, while iSymphonic clearly only plays strings.
    Anyway:

As I have no BM2, I used Cubasis instead and using just AB, TJ and Cubasis (both as MIDI receivers from TJ within AB) I can hear the strings and can record the MIDI in Cubasis!

Audiobus preset 'Test TJ Cubasis iSymphonic ': http://preset.audiob.us/7dKZLRleAvSMwOl

• tjatja
    edited January 2018

So it seems, that you possibly do not send the MIDI correctly in TJ, or BM2 works different to Cubasis in this regard.

You could also try my regular setting with AB and AUM, where you configure the MIDI sender in AB, and then can change any Synths in AUM, without the need to change any setting in AB, Cubasis or the MIDI sender(s).
    This can be quite comfortable!

• @tja said:
    So it seems, that you possibly do not send the MIDI correctly in TJ, or BM2 works different to Cubasis in this regard.

You could also try my regular setting with AB and AUM, where you configure the MIDI sender in AB, and then can change any Synths in AUM, without the need to change any setting in AB, Cubasis or the MIDI sender(s).
    This can be quite comfortable!

Once again it proves that AUM is our most precious tool :smile:

• @tja Thanks for testing this out! I probably need to take a look at my MIDI configuration. I'll give this a try when I have the time. I'm on iPhone so I'm still wishing for something like Cubasis.

• Xequence?

• @tja I've looked at this but I like the ability to record audio as well. Mainly using MIDI for backing tracks to accompany guitars and vocals.