Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Recording Perfect Loops in AUM How?

I got a really nice guitar Arp going with ST2 wanna record it as a loop but I can’t get it right. Help please. Thanks!

Comments

• I would say this is my biggest time sink with iOS apps. How to export a clean loop stem. I love the apps that have this as an export option.

• @gusgranite said:
    I would say this is my biggest time sink with iOS apps. How to export a clean loop stem. I love the apps that have this as an export option.

+1000. Such a pain in the ass--at least until @j_liljedahl gets around to count in and count out muting in AUM.

• What's ST2? I always use something like Loopy or Blocs to record auto-loops. Otherwise I just trim it after recording.

• I've been experimenting with Quantiloop Pro, and I believe it will do everything needed loopwise that you may want to do. I have almost everything, and it surpasses most of them to me. :smiley:

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@gusgranite said:
    I would say this is my biggest time sink with iOS apps. How to export a clean loop stem. I love the apps that have this as an export option.

+1000. Such a pain in the ass--at least until @j_liljedahl gets around to count in and count out muting in AUM.

I hate that misery loves company, but in a way I'm glad to hear there isn't the perfect/easy way I've been missing all this time etc.

• @Audiojunkie said:
    I've been experimenting with Quantiloop Pro, and I believe it will do everything needed loopwise that you may want to do. I have almost everything, and it surpasses most of them to me. :smiley:

I have to ask (knowing your proclivities :)) this is an on-the-phone judgment? Not disagreeing with you (don't know Quantiloop), just wanting to be clear on behalf on us Men With Big Hands and so forth.

• wimwim
    edited January 2018

I'd just record the silly thing then trim the loop in AudioShare. It would have taken less time than it took to write the initial post. You know the BPM so...

1. Trim the beginning silence as accurately as possible to the beginning of the sound using the zoom tool and zero snap. (I like to turn off auto-fade)
    2. Set the bpm in the snap settings.
    3. Trim the loop back to the number of bars.

This seriously takes very little time.

• I agree with @wim. You can trim the phrase precisely in AudioShare but getting it to loop in time is something else. I would do it in Loopy. You can rotate the loop to adjust the start point right there or open in AudioShare, fine tune it and send it wherever.

• Sorry, should have added: with Loopy in AUM. Not ignoring the original question.

• The main issue with Loopy is that the resulting audio files can sound a little, I don't know, "swishy"?

• ST2 is Sampletank 2

@CracklePot said:
    What's ST2? I always use something like Loopy or Blocs to record auto-loops. Otherwise I just trim it after recording.

• Thanks guys for all the help. If I recall recording into Blocs Wave created some good loops. Will try that out.

• Bummer Blocs Wave seems to be broken. Won’t record from AB3.

• @MusicMan4Christ said:
    Bummer Blocs Wave seems to be broken. Won’t record from AB3.

For me, it does.
    iPad Pro 9.7 on iOS 10.3.3

• @MusicMan4Christ said:
    Bummer Blocs Wave seems to be broken. Won’t record from AB3.

Maybe try starting Blocs outside of AB and then loading it. It fixes the problem with it loading incorrectly in AUM, so it might work for AB as well.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@Audiojunkie said:
    I've been experimenting with Quantiloop Pro, and I believe it will do everything needed loopwise that you may want to do. I have almost everything, and it surpasses most of them to me. :smiley:

I have to ask (knowing your proclivities :)) this is an on-the-phone judgment? Not disagreeing with you (don't know Quantiloop), just wanting to be clear on behalf on us Men With Big Hands and so forth.

Honestly, I believe the iPad version came first and was originally designed for it. That said, the iPhone version looks the same as far as I can tell, but more normal sized. I imagine it would work at least as well on an iPad as an iPhone. What I really like about it is that it not only records from a microphone, but also can host instruments or chains of instruments and effects (via an app like AB or AUM), so that loops can easily be created in house. Also, I love the skeuomorphic GUI that makes it so easy to understand what is going on and it helps me to time my playing better (thus better loops). Also, there are a ton of options and features available, and yet they don’t get in the way of ease of use.

• @Audiojunkie said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@Audiojunkie said:

Honestly, I believe the iPad version came first and was originally designed for it. That said, the iPhone version looks the same as far as I can tell, but more normal sized. I imagine it would work at least as well on an iPad as an iPhone. What I really like about it is that it not only records from a microphone, but also can host instruments or chains of instruments and effects (via an app like AB or AUM), so that loops can easily be created in house. Also, I love the skeuomorphic GUI that makes it so easy to understand what is going on and it helps me to time my playing better (thus better loops). Also, there are a ton of options and features available, and yet they don’t get in the way of ease of use.

Great review. Thank you. Will go look.

• The recorder in AUM already quantizes begin and end of recording for perfectly trimmed loops. You'll need to sync any synths/sequencers etc to AUM of course. (using standard IAA/AU host sync or Ableton Link).

Is this not working for you?

• @j_liljedahl said:
    The recorder in AUM already quantizes begin and end of recording for perfectly trimmed loops. You'll need to sync any synths/sequencers etc to AUM of course. (using standard IAA/AU host sync or Ableton Link).

Was about to say the same thing. Ableton link specially works marvellously for recording perfect loops...

• Load the synth in Aum, Start the arp, click record in Aum, press stop record, it should quantise perfectly, any trims needed are easily done with audioshare, as already noted... just use snap to beat option in trim and fade,
    This is how all my loops are created...
    :)

• I always sync aum and let the recorder run and make as many changes as i want to the synth as it runs. Then import into auria pro where i shape and pick out the bars i like, with a nice fade in/out.

• Record and auto add new channel with recorded audio in AUM would be Awesome. like a Bounce option or something

• Thanks will try it and I’ll let you know. I’m using Sampletank which unfortunately doesn’t have Ableton Link..

@j_liljedahl said:
    The recorder in AUM already quantizes begin and end of recording for perfectly trimmed loops. You'll need to sync any synths/sequencers etc to AUM of course. (using standard IAA/AU host sync or Ableton Link).

• @j_liljedahl said:

Wow, I completely missed this! It wasn't clear to me that I had to hit unrecord before the bar ended (but it does make sense). It's like Christmas with an unexpected gift.

• @j_liljedahl said:

Fantastic!
    I never knew that. Thanks.

• edited January 2018

@lukesleepwalker said:

@j_liljedahl said:

Wow, I completely missed this! It wasn't clear to me that I had to hit unrecord before the bar ended (but it does make sense). It's like Christmas with an unexpected gift.

Kinda tricky to stop recording while still playing though...

I really love AUM, it's an amazing app, but one thing would make it more user-friendly for recording loops: Being able to record a set number of bars (say 4 or 8 for example) and have the recording end automatically after said number.

Meanwhile the workaround is to trim the loops in Audioshare. With Snap to Beat enabled it's very easy to get perfect loops, but life would be even sweeter if there was no need to trim in the first place.

• Blocs Wave does It already would be awesome if AUM could have the same options.

@richardyot said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@j_liljedahl said:

Kinda tricky to stop recording while still playing though...

I really love AUM, it's an amazing app, but one thing would make it more user-friendly for recording loops: Being able to record a set number of bars (say 4 or 8 for example) and have the recording end automatically after said number.

Meanwhile the workaround is to trim the loops in Audioshare. With Snap to Beat enabled it's very easy to get perfect loops, but life would be even sweeter if there was no need to trim in the first place.

• @Audiojunkie said:

How does it surpass them?

• I just go into LoopyHD with most every loop and take it from there.

My best allies making music are Twisted Wave Hakousia (whatever it is) and Loopersonic(combine loops)

These are the tools that make all possible for me.