Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

I just ordered an iPad. Which music apps are essential? Brand new to iOS productions.

Theres a winter sale going on right now. What would be the best apps to get with 90 BUCKS to spend. I just ordered the none pro iPad cause I found a good deal and I decided to try this hole iOS,music thing out. On desktop I use flstudio and cubase. I mainly produce with workstation samples,horns,strings, but I also use a lot of trancelike synth sounds. I don't know anything about iOS music production so I have no idea which dawisgood to purchase or what my options are regarding midi note writing piano rolls etc. I'm trying to purchase some things before the sell is over so I don't miss out on the good deals you guys can help set me up a basic iOS music production setup with my funds? I'd really appreciate any suggestions on apps

Comments

• Well there are iOS companion apps to both FL Studio and Cubasis

In fact in FL Studio there is a plug in which is exactly the same as the mobile app that you can try before you buy the app.

• The essentials are AUM and Audioshare. Everyone needs these two. Everything else is a matter of preference.

You don't need a DAW if you perform and mix live. I think Cubasis is a nice DAW and reasonably priced when on sale. But Garageband is also very good and free.

The three best-sounding ios synths are Model 15, Animoog, and Zeeon. The Korg stuff seems way overpriced to me.

• Cubasis would be a good start and I don’t think you’d be disappointed.
    It includes plenty of synths and drums plus IAPs.
    I understand that this may take a lot of your budget, so I would try GarageBand as well.
    It’s a closed app to a certain extent, but it’s improved a lot over the years and there are ways to take parts out of it and use in other apps.
    I started off in GarageBand and it’s a decent intro to iOS music.

• Beatmaker 3 and a bunch of AU instruments and effects

• @BiancaNeve said:
    Well there are iOS companion apps to both FL Studio and Cubasis

In fact in FL Studio there is a plug in which is exactly the same as the mobile app that you can try before you buy the app.

This sounds like the best advice to me.

• Anisonei. At this moment IMHO. I would jump all over GB start a project, use all the tools that is in that Hefty toolbox. That 90$ will be spent once you know your tastes and styles. Apps-AudioBus,AudioShare. I’m leaning towards AU,s Good luck

• AUM, AudioBus, AudioShare

Garage Band

Blocs Wave, Fugue Machine, Rozeta.

Those should keep you busy for a while, until you decide which of the DAW’s suits what you want to do, and how best you can make progress.

• Essentials?
    AUM and AudioShare.

The rest it’s up to you.

IMO I’d suggest going the AU route and leave behind IAA only apps.

• Redundancy! You must have AudioBus to be on this forum and glad that you found the best community of IOS’rs. Including devs.

• GarageBand for actual song making

AUM for live recording

AudioShare to stash it all in

Wizibel for video

Synths:

Zeeon
    iWAVESTATION
    Synthscaper
    Lorentz
    Mood

Fx:

Aufx space
    Italizer
    WaveFolder

Beats/ loops:

Groovebox
    Blockwave

Less than £100 all that mate :)

Cost less than a desktop daw and you can have it on your iPhone too

• Actually you could just get gadget and start there before buying loads of apps and learning how to link them all up..

• If I were just getting into it now I would get BM3 as my DAW (I think it offers the most versatility) and only synths, drums and FX that are AU plug-ins.

The IAA apps I use the most are Quantum (amazing sequencer), Navichord and DrumPerfect Pro.

• edited December 2017

Thanks for all the advice! A lot of stuff to look up. I found out cubase and korghave their sales till the 9th, so I have time to check out all these options lol

• Everything by Brambos, Kymatica (J Lilla), AudioDamage and Beepstreet. Then some Virsyn, AmazingNoises and Moog. Ah, the memories!

• Difficult to narrow down sometimes - iOS for myself often works because I have many apps and change methods at times. I would start again now though with BM3 and some AU synths and fx.

• $90 can go fast on iOS. The short is answer is to spend 4-5 times that amount, and in a couple of months, you'll know what you should've spent the $90 on.

One person's "essential" app is another person's "haven't used in months" app. My advice would be take it slow, and use most of your time making music in Garageband, instead of researching which apps to buy. Many apps follow a rough schedule on when they go on sale, so use a site like App Shopper to see just how rare a current sale is. When you do want to research, this forum is a great hub for ideas, but I'd watch videos so you can see and hear what each app does.

Good Luck!

• Think the main question you need to ask yourself is: do you want to do 'complete' productions on your iPad or is the iPad going to be an input to your existing desktop workflow?

Easy to spend 90 bucks either way but you'll save some cash and headaches if you can answer that first.

Whichever you choose, based on what you've said, I bet you'll love Thumbjam.

• edited January 2018

Grooverider 16
    AudioShare
    Korg Gadget
    Audiobus 2

• edited January 2018

"$90 can go fast on iOS. The short is answer is to spend 4-5 times that amount, and in a couple of months, you'll know what you should've spent the $90 on."

Lol, no kidding! I recently created a database of all my music apps, using a collection DB app called "mystuff2 Pro" , so I could keep track of everything I have, w/ a central place to link manuals/reviews/etc and to tabulate prices.

Everything, including IAP, came out at 2.4k! :open_mouth: .. I try to rationalize my spending spree, noting that I did get over half the apps + content on sale for 50% off, not to mention how much more I could have spent on desktop music production for similarly powerful toolset.

• iOS software is a good investment I think, especially music apps as most of these apps do get better over time and it's quite often times seed money to hard working independent developers making their first app. It's time and money well spent.

• Of course -ThumbJam the most tactile app so far, caressing that screen in one’s most comfortable location , ie.Steel Guitar, wonderful and lock solid with most DAWs. That might be my first dip into the 90$ fund

• The apps I tend to use the most, other than the already mentioned AUM, Audioshare , = Zeeon, Bs-16i, Gadget and/or any of the Korg instruments, Model 15, apeSoft Mood, PPG Infinite, Moog Animoog, Waldorf Nave, everything from Brambos, Beathawk , Auria Pro + Fabfilters or Cubasis + Waves , Xequence Midi workstation., DM1 or DrumPerfect Pro ... Numerical Audio, Virsyn, Holderness effects AU -- Elastic FX multi effects ...and everything from Sugar Bytes..

List is obviously not exhaustive, as I'm always switching it up ..but those are some of what I've found to be most bang for the buck value.

• @Love3quency said:
    GarageBand for actual song making

AUM for live recording

AudioShare to stash it all in

Wizibel for video

Synths:

Zeeon
    iWAVESTATION
    Synthscaper
    Lorentz
    Mood

Fx:

Aufx space
    Italizer
    WaveFolder

Beats/ loops:

Groovebox
    Blockwave

Less than £100 all that mate :)

Cost less than a desktop daw and you can have it on your iPhone too

^^^ this... excellent suggestions. I wish I went this route when I first started out, though GB wasn't as powerful at the time, before it had AU support.

• Korg Gadget is on sale for a few more days. You can stretch your $90 by taking advantage of sales. Also, be wary of trying too many things at once. It is better to learn one app really well than to have an iPad full of stuff you paid for and then forgot you even have! (Ha! How many of us have done that! :# )

I say get Gadget and maybe a couple of its IAPs. Korg stuff is the best! Spend some quality time woodshedding that, and by the time you come up for air, something else will be on sale.

Also GarageBand, because it is vast and FREE!

• Beathawk (and its IAPs) is also currently on sale at the moment, and 1/4 the price of Gadget..

• Is it time to mention Sunvox yet?

• edited January 2018

if you own any hardware synths and/or AU synth apps: midiSteps is an essential app.

• edited January 2018

@Love3quency said:
    Actually you could just get gadget and start there before buying loads of apps and learning how to link them all up..

Korg Gadget is one to start.. this will be your guiding app ....so as to know .. what more you need :wink:

Trust me you wont regret

I also have GB, Cubasis, Auria Pro and Music studio ( very similar to FL studio) .. but Gadget is great start without a huge learning curve

If I were you I would start of with AUM, Audioshare,Gadget (its on sale) and Soundprism Link ( midi controller par excellence) and GB ofcourse

that's less than 90$

My current fav is another one ....Beathawk ... I would recommend you try the above first .. because its too addictive an app ... you will end spending far more buying the IAP's :wink:

• edited January 2018

I wouldn't go anywhere near Gadget with $90, its a never ending money pit that will disappoint you massively if you expect desktop style synthesis and plugin support, you use Cubase so get Cubasis, save the rest of your money and learn that.
    If you want some heavy pattern based sequencing then Beatmaker 3 is king right now.
    Don't just go out spending, buy your main app like Cubasis and learn, then you will know what you want to add yourself.

• edited January 2018

@Anisonsei Maybe give us a sample of something you made in FL Studio/Cubase so I can better gauge what would fit your sound best?

As far as essentials, I’d also say AudioShare and AUM. AudioShare is where you store ALL of your audio samples, project stems, etc. Even if you don’t end up using AUM for live recording, it’s extremely invaluable to the mixdown process when the DAW you’ll eventually end up using doesn’t have a stereoshaper tool built in (FL Studio Mobile)/lacks a proper master fx rack (Gadget). By loading the DAW into AUM, I can then use “stereo-to-mono” under stereo processing to collapse the incoming audio down to mono. Worth it just for that feature. :D