Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Sampling App Sounds To Create More Available Disk Space

Hi guys, I’ve never really got into sampling but due to my limited disk space I’m having to make some app decisions.
I have BM3 and many say this is the ultimate sampler on IOS right now to create instruments from samples. Ok so I need to do this, any suggestions on best practices to ensure highest possible quality? For starters I wanna sample some guitars, Strings . I have enough Synths for pads etc and drums I have enough. But my 32 gigs in my Air 1 are filled at almost 85%.

Thanks to all for any suggestions.

Apps I’m planning to sample are:

Isymphonic
Beathawk
And perhaps others.

Comments

• @MusicMan4Christ said:
    Hi guys, I’ve never really got into sampling but due to my limited disk space I’m having to make some app decisions.
    I have BM3 and many say this is the ultimate sampler on IOS right now to create instruments from samples. Ok so I need to do this, any suggestions on best practices to ensure highest possible quality? For starters I wanna sample some guitars, Strings . I have enough Synths for pads etc and drums I have enough. But my 32 gigs in my Air 1 are filled at almost 85%.

Thanks to all for any suggestions.

Apps I’m planning to sample are:

Isymphonic
    Beathawk
    And perhaps others.

First thing is to think what to sample. If you are aiming to sample everything in all your apps to save room, then maybe best to rethink. Apps mostly have quite small footprints apart from their samples. If on the other hand, you are planning on just sampling sounds you will actually use, you may save some space, as most of us hardly use all sounds in an app.

If you have lots to sample, you may go completely bonkers before you get half way through!

• While we're on the subject, are there any apps you can just go into a rip the samples straight from the app like copying the folder or something? So you don't have to actually record a bunch of them?

• Well, probably not always but at times multisampling will take more space than the app itself, especially if you do it with a proper tail. If it's Zeeon I'd rather have the app then multisamples, especially because the sampler will never sound like a synth, even if you sampled each note separately.

• Same issue

Each iOS update

Each app update

More and more and more.

Like a smack habit the GB game with Apple and some apps.

Real question is how can some apps - developers do what they do with little to now space footprint and then others that take up massive space demands?

Rhetorical question is rhetorical

• wimwim
    edited December 2017

^ My thoughts exactly. Apps, unless they're multi-sample based, are generally a lot smaller than what I would expect a decent job of sampling them would take up. What apps are you thinking of sampling? How much space do those apps take up on your device?

Even for apps that take a huge amount of due to sample packs - like BeatHawk - are going to be a challenge. Those huge libraries take up all that space for a reason ... to make them sound good. If you sample a C2 piano note, and then try to play it up the scale to C5, it's not going to sound anywhere near as good as the BeatHawk piano, which probably has several samples to cover that range and different velocities.

If you're going to try, then target your biggest apps and perhaps pick out a few essential sounds to sample. Go for the lowest quality that sounds good to you. In most cases, I doubt very much that you'll be able to recognize the difference between a 16bit 44K sample vs. a 24bit 48K sample just by ear - but the difference in resulting size of the sample is going to be large.

Sorry, I don't mean to sound discouraging, but my first reaction was simple: "Sampling vs. apps to save space? Not gonna work."

Last suggestion: Use the "Offload Unused Apps" option individually on apps that you don't use often - provided you have access to a decent internet connection regularly. Just as a for-instance, I like but rarely use FL Studio Mobile. Offloading it would save me almost a gig instantly. Just a thought.

Good luck. Managing limited storage is a pain.

• @db909 said:
    While we're on the subject, are there any apps you can just go into a rip the samples straight from the app like copying the folder or something? So you don't have to actually record a bunch of them?

I had an old device laying around (it was either ios7 or 8) where I could copy all the samples from imaschine using ifunbox.

• Thanks guys, I mostly wanted to sample the sounds I use the most. Also I forgot to mention that the bug apps like Beathawk and Sampletank are currently residing on my iPhone SE 64 gig so I deleted ten from my iPad. I really wish they follow iMPC Pro3 where one can select the samples instead of them being forced down in the install. Well, isymphonic will be deleted as well and loaded on iPhone only. From there I’m plannin to sample only the instruments I need and use them in BM3.

So I don’t plan on sampling every single preset. Oh man I would never finish :#
    But yeah I decided for now to keep all the huge stuff in my iPhone. Syntronik is the only On on the Air1 I can’t get rid off, although it’s on the iPhone as well.

But thanks all for the great suggestions. Sampling sounds like a lot of fun too, I’ve bever really got into it but it’s one of my must learn things to do on my list.