Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Groove Rider GR-16 Released!

Comments

• @InfoCheck said:

@anickt said:

@InfoCheck said:

@anickt said:

@Richtowns said:
    @DaveMagoo to change the mixer label add a label to the part in the pattern edit menu while in trigger mode with the part selected. This little menu area also has choke groups called excusive group. It does look like its all included and only v.1. Not unsurprisingly amazing this app. JimAudio is a star

I can change the name but changing part color doesn’t do anything. This working for anyone?

Works for me. You use the big knob with the triangle to select the color. You need to press write to save the changes or it will go back to the old color if you go to another pattern.

I was expecting to see a more obvious change than just the little square to the right of the part name. Thanks

The 16 pads in the pattern will change to the new color too.

Duh! I guess I should’ve noticed that. :D
    I think I’ll put this away and focus on all these people milling about the house!

• edited December 2017

Good manual! Only advantage to having an electribe 2 is that one of them (electribe sampler) actually does sample instead of having to import . That said I’ll be diving deep into this one . Excited to see how it evolves. As for being able to work beyond four bars, well perhaps as Dimitrij said that’s for another more advanced app. Stay tuned.. This guy’s got the eyes and ears of our iOS world focused squarely on his creations. Jim Audio has officially arrived!!

• @Telengard said:

Hold down mute and hit a pad to solo it. Like on the electribe2. And then Shift + mute to unsolo. Not a separate solo button, but it works ok.

Thanks!!

• @Angie said:

and some Apple Airpods thingies (unexpected) which I have a guilty feeling already that I might like quite a bit....
    >

I really like the Airpods for music making. Latency is a big deal, of course, if you are trying to play keyboard or drumpads in time with a groove - but if you are music making out of loops or generative midi latency doesn't matter. And lack of cord is wonderful!

I find that the Airpods change the way I make music. They encourage use of "happy accident" apps rather than keyboards/pads/piano roll and also really promote extended listening to what results. After 30 minutes or so listening to a few loops interacting, I can hear what I want to add next so clearly in my head that I just pop out the airpods, capture the a melodic phrase quickly with keys/pads and the built in iPhone speaker, and then pods back in for midi tweaking and refinements using tools where latency doesn't matter a bit.

The sheer number of hours that I can listen to my own music while doing other things is quite significant. Even really simplistic compositional work can be quite interesting when explored in depth over several hours. I draw around 6 hours a day, and music set-ups like Launchpad or Blockswave (with just 2 or three loops going at a time) and an easily tweakable percussion app (like Mid East Drummer) lets me alter the groove every two or three minutes - and cord free listening adds a lot to the experience. 6 hours of coordinating drawing hand around earphone cord would just be a frustration. (Rozetta is also nice for daylong grooves with variations tapped in every few minutes.)

Airpods can be really sweet for composition if you avoid areas where latency really matters. And latency-resistant composition work can have substantial amounts of hands free listening time built in, which pairs amazingly well with focused visual work. I hope your Christmas Airpods work out as well for you as mine work for me.

This is terrific and generous feedback for which I am grateful and by which I am encouraged. I have to say I've had them in for hours and they haven't even vaguely fallen out nor have I accumulated the slightest soreness. Both of which I would have bet heavily against. I sense they might have been the perfect present: Something I would never have bought for myself, but that now I have them really like and am already figuring out ways they're going to help/add. And I really believe they will.

Thanks again.

• Ok, so I watched a couple of the referenced Electribe & Electribe 2 tutorial videos and liked what I saw/heard. And, it looks like all you do to record automation is just hit record and move the knobs you want to automate. That’s it? Getting closer to that buy button :)

• @skiphunt said:
    Ok, so I watched a couple of the referenced Electribe & Electribe 2 tutorial videos and liked what I saw/heard. And, it looks like all you do to record automation is just hit record and move the knobs you want to automate. That’s it? Getting closer to that buy button :)

Yes, you can tweak the knobs while the music is playing or you can adjust the values per step by holding the pad while changing the knob. The step view is very well thought out, it’s fun to record automation either way.

Right now sample import isn’t working and I’m anxious to see what can be done with imported samples in slice mode. I haven’t run across any other bugs at all. I’m impressed by how solid this app is. I’ve got all kinds of samples firing, effects and automation on everything, and it doesn’t seem to be taxing my air 2 very much.

• Gonna attempt a first project in Grooverider today
    Can anyone tell me -
    1.Is there a way to multiselect clear all 16 pads at once
    2.How do I bounce a finished project
    3.How do I delete a project
    4.Are there swing to pad options
    Thanks in advance.

• @jimpavloff Will you be implementing more pad banks Even just one more pad bank will add up to 32 pads making Grooverider very powerful as it really is impresive thus far - that would really make Grooverider the leader on iOS beatmaking. Also some basic online youtube tutorials would be cool

• @jimpavloff Is there a way to turn off the tap button "blinking"

• @jimpavloff I noticed when I turn the knob button that has the "play" symbol by accident whilst turning the knob Grooverider crashes.

• @jimpavloff said:
    In the nearest update I plan to do:

• fix the import samples crash issue;
    • remove Import and Export subfolders from Documents folder which are currently there (added by a mistake);
    • you will be able to create your own folders with imported samples inside the Documents and access them from the part's Wave selection table;
    • Virtual Midi Input and probably Midi CC support;
    • Audio Export options.

This folder thing for samples sounds "ok", but please integrate AUDIOSHARE! Everyone is used to it and is the fastest way to manage our samples and wave forms. I can't tell you how disappointed I was when I could not use my samples and wave forms from Audioshare. Not having Audioshare integration is the single weakest part of Groove Rider.

Glad to hear about Audio export options. Midi input including CC support is a good win.

Lastly, can we have a hold function for the ARP in the same way you have a hold function for Master Effect?

• @jimpavloff said:

@eross said:
    loving this app. how/where do you import samples?. i tried to send them from audiobus, but it did not show it as an option to import too

Currently samples need to be moved in to the GR's Documents/Import folder to use them. Use iTunes or Files.app for this. After update, you will not only be limited in the Import folder, but also can store your samples into any folder under the Documents.

AUDIOSHARE please!!!

• @Jumpercollins said:
    Great app best beat box out there on iOS would be my initial thought after playing with it for a few hours. It’s pretty deep in what it can do. Would love to see a few things added

1. Midi in and out.
    2. Dropbox import like BM3 has ie zipped folders so it would be easier to get sample folders in. I find Apples Files app a pain for moving items between folders currently I don’t think you can move or copy folders just files singularly or in groups.
    3. I would like to see AU / IAA hosting with a simple sample keyboard again like BM3. I know this is a BeatMaker and not a fully fledged DAW, I wouldn’t want it to be. However a quick way of sampling from all the other great synth apps etc out there would be great.

I agree, drop box is a good move. Also Apple files app is a pain. Why cant Jim just abandon this idea with the files when things like Drop box exist. Also, AUDIOSHARE integration. Yes, I am going to keep beating the Audioshare drum since most everyone uses it. I export so much audio from my other apps to Audioshare I want the freedom to bring those samples I made elsewhere into Groove Rider.

• edited December 2017

you can access audioshare through files app .. whith files support you have a cess basically to all other sharing apps :)

• Is there a way to start playback from a selected bar or loop a bar when editing?

• @jimpavloff said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:
    @jimpavloff

Hi Jim,

Loving Groove Rider, especially love that you have used the files app. Would it be possible to add Files app support for export and import of banks in Poison 202 - I don’t use a computer!

I'll do that in the next Poison-202 update

Take banks from Poison into Groove Rider?! Hell yeah, this will make me buy Poison for sure!

• @Samu said:

@DaveMagoo said:

Yeah I wish he would have held the release until the manual was ready ;)

But that would have just taken away all the fun in exploring and learning a new app ;)

Exactly!

• edited December 2017

@jimpavloff said:
    For everyone in this thread. I've just finished a GR Manual v1.0, where I described almost all its features and modes. If I missed something, please let me know. After upcoming app's updates the manual will be also updated and will be available for download at the following link:
    https://www.jimaudio.pro/grooverider/grooverider_manual.pdf

Great job on the manual!

• @SMKArtist said:

@jimpavloff said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:
    @jimpavloff

Hi Jim,

Loving Groove Rider, especially love that you have used the files app. Would it be possible to add Files app support for export and import of banks in Poison 202 - I don’t use a computer!

Take banks from Poison into Groove Rider?! Hell yeah, this will make me buy Poison for sure!

This thing is about to make Poison-202 to work with Files.app for its bank files export/import, and not about getting them imported into GR. These two apps are cross incompatible.

• Here’s an idea. When you have EDIT and SEQ flashing you can press the pads or run your finger along them to trigger the steps of the selected part. It would be great if there was an option to play all (unmuted) parts on the step from the other tracks. Would make it so fast to create melodic sequences as you could then hear the editing you make in context of everything else.

• Now I’m gonna hafta get Poison too! Lol

• @Telengard said:

@pfrf said:
    I wish Groove Rider had 8 bar patterns, and a solo button, but really it’s just fantastic as it is. It’s running smoothly on an Air 2 with iOS 11.

@ginandjuice said:
    A solo button would be KILLER

Hold down mute and hit a pad to solo it. Like on the electribe2. And then Shift + mute to unsolo. Not a separate solo button, but it works ok.

Thanks....ought to read the manual now :)

• @jimpavloff said:

@SMKArtist said:

@jimpavloff said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:
    @jimpavloff

Hi Jim,

This thing is about to make Poison-202 to work with Files.app for its bank files export/import, and not about getting them imported into GR. These two apps are cross incompatible.

Oh damn...oh well was a cool idea ;)

• @Telstar5 said:
    Now I’m gonna hafta get Poison too! Lol

It's one of my go-to synths on iOS. Very easy to tweak and it's AUv3 too ;)
    Looking forward to the update with some other fixes too...

• @dendy said:
    you can access audioshare through files app .. whith files support you have a cess basically to all other sharing apps :)

yeah, it is just another step and pain in the ass. Plus I am not on OS 11 because of my music apps. All of iPad musicians know that direct Audioshare support is the best way to go. I love how I can open up the new sampler gadget in gadget and import directly from audioshare. All of my music apps with sample playing capability have this. Even LP5.

• @SMKArtist said:
    I love how I can open up the new sampler gadget in gadget and import directly from audioshare. All of my music apps with sample playing capability have this. Even LP5.

But 'polluting' apps with 3rd party SDKs in favour of standard iOS features is a no-no in my book. I've had multiple cases where AudioShare import 'breaks' when installing new apps (ie. instead of AudioShare being opened another app opens which in practice 'breaks' the AudioShare import).

Content from Audioshare can be accessed using the standard iOS DocumentPicker.

The implementation of iOS DocumentPicker would also give us access to DropBox, Box and other Cloud-Services in one go. Export using 'iOS Share Sheet' is one of the most flexible export methods as it also allows 'AirDrop' between devices. (And yes it could export directly to Audioshare too since it's a 'File Provider').

I'm puzzled that Korg omitted to implement standard iOS features for import & export and opted to use 2 3rd party SDKs...

• @SMKArtist said:

@dendy said:

yeah, it is just another step and pain in the ass. Plus I am not on OS 11 because of my music apps. All of iPad musicians know that direct Audioshare support is the best way to go. I love how I can open up the new sampler gadget in gadget and import directly from audioshare. All of my music apps with sample playing capability have this. Even LP5.

I have to say that the files app integration is pretty slick and works very well on iOS11.

@jimpavloff are there plans to expand the import options?

• @jimpavloff said:

@SMKArtist said:

@jimpavloff said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:
    @jimpavloff

Hi Jim,

Yeah Files export and import for 202 will be great. I made quite a few sounds for 202, but lost them all after I needed to restart my iPad, due to not having any backup. I don’t use a computer (well not one that will back up an iPad or use iTunes). Being able to just export a bank and then save it to the cloud afterwards is worth its weight in gold for myself :)

• @Samu said:

@SMKArtist said:
    I love how I can open up the new sampler gadget in gadget and import directly from audioshare. All of my music apps with sample playing capability have this. Even LP5.

But 'polluting' apps with 3rd party SDKs in favour of standard iOS features is a no-no in my book. I've had multiple cases where AudioShare import 'breaks' when installing new apps (ie. instead of AudioShare being opened another app opens which in practice 'breaks' the AudioShare import).

Content from Audioshare can be accessed using the standard iOS DocumentPicker.

The implementation of iOS DocumentPicker would also give us access to DropBox, Box and other Cloud-Services in one go. Export using 'iOS Share Sheet' is one of the most flexible export methods as it also allows 'AirDrop' between devices. (And yes it could export directly to Audioshare too since it's a 'File Provider').

I'm puzzled that Korg omitted to implement standard iOS features for import & export and opted to use 2 3rd party SDKs...

"I'm puzzled that Korg omitted to implement standard iOS features for import & export and opted to use 2 3rd party SDKs."

Ahhh because it works! Because almost all musicians who use iPads for music requested it. Because Audioshare has become the standard like Audiobus and AUM. These are 3rd party apps that don't poison anything. If you don't want to use Audioshare and are happy with the file system of OS 11 great! Use what is best for you. Don't knock optional ideas that would be good for others. Thank you :)

• @DaveMagoo said:

@SMKArtist said:

@dendy said:

I have to say that the files app integration is pretty slick and works very well on iOS11.

@jimpavloff are there plans to expand the import options?

"I have to say that the files app integration is pretty slick and works very well on iOS11." maybe for you. But others have had different experiences.
    More options for sample import is a "GOOD THING". My work flow is different from yours. It includes Audioshare (like many other musicians).