Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Octatrack jam - all sounds from gadget

Probably my preferred and quickest workflow,...get something going on the phone, make a couple variations and then with better headphones dial in the sounds...export to auria pro and prepare the tracks (one or more of the following: filter, eq, compress, saturate, delay, reverb etc) and export to the octatrack (or rytm). And then i start to program changes and fx etc. Last video i midi sequenced a bunch ios synths with the octatrack, which is pretty cool but it means an interface and cables etc, i love picking up the octatrack and a pair of headphones and plopping down on a sofa.

@echoopera

Comments

• edited December 2017

@vpich
    Nicely done as usual! :)
    Are you using PlaysFree option for the pads/atmos?

• @recccp said:
    @vpich
    Nicely done as usual! :)
    Are you using PlaysFree option for the pads/atmos?

thanks, you mean in the octatrack? no, haven't really used it as it disconnects the track from the sequencer. will probably test it with a vinyl/tape noise and pad washes at some point. what i did with the pads was set up 8 bar loops and then with the conditional triggers i use the option where it triggers one of every two times.

• @vpich
    I see. Keep forgetting about cond trigs. This machine can be so many different things, its hard to follow live performance or tutorial even if you know it... more or less.

• @recccp said:
    @vpich
    I see. Keep forgetting about cond trigs. This machine can be so many different things, its hard to follow live performance or tutorial even if you know it... more or less.

for sure, i've been hitting it pretty hard since i got it, forcing myself to use it alone as much as possible to really learn it and there is so much more i don't know yet. sequencing a midi synth and recording it (consistently, i get it to work sometimes but other times it doesn't) has been kicking my butt. want to sit down with a few tutorials this week and really figure it out. but conditional triggers are the same as the other boxes, essential for my workflow to get stuff in to break the monotony.

• @vpich
    OT mkI owner for about 3 years. Took me some time to learn it and than some more to find out how I'm actually going to use it. And now with latest update (cond. trigs) so many new options... Too easy to get distracted. Which I like, but makes it hard to focus, specially if you are into live jamming.

• @vpich are you loading in Gadget loops or just one shots?

• Sounds great, really enjoyed that one. I've been debating upgrading my MKI for awhile now, but I keep hearing that there are issues with the displays. Anything like that on your's?

• @Tarekith said:
    Sounds great, really enjoyed that one. I've been debating upgrading my MKI for awhile now, but I keep hearing that there are issues with the displays. Anything like that on your's?

No issues with the display. Love it. Any angle, sharp, bright, etc. Plus the lights on all trigs etc. Visually a treat. Knobs feel great too. More like regular synth than endless encoders like some other elektron boxes (don’t remember if thr ot 1 is like that).

• @Gaia.Tree said:
    @vpich are you loading in Gadget loops or just one shots?

Loops. Some 2 bars, some 4 and some 8. Mosltly using one trig for the whole pattern. I’m just trying all different methods, last video was all sequenced with the ot.

• Have you seen the transition trick for the OT?

• @Tarekith said:
    Have you seen the transition trick for the OT?

Yes. Multiple times. Have not tried it yet though. I like your second method more. Rarely mix between songs (don’t play out anymore) so have not had a pressing need. Do you use it for other things than mixing 2 songs?

• @vpich great work! Im using my OT mk1 to play with bm3 loops and real happy with it. What a joy to play with.

• @vpich said:

@Tarekith said:

Yes. Multiple times. Have not tried it yet though. I like your second method more. Rarely mix between songs (don’t play out anymore) so have not had a pressing need. Do you use it for other things than mixing 2 songs?

It can be useful when you record say a lot of effects on a loop, sample it continuously via the transition trick, and then fade back into the non-effected version. All sorts of weird things like that for building up risers and transitional details for studio songs.

• @Tarekith said:

@vpich said:

@Tarekith said:

It can be useful when you record say a lot of effects on a loop, sample it continuously via the transition trick, and then fade back into the non-effected version. All sorts of weird things like that for building up risers and transitional details for studio songs.

Hmm interesting. Although i don’t see why i would not just create those scenes beforehand. If i let myself handle more than too many things at once (?) i invariably leave one loop one time too many or something like that. Hard to concentrate on so many things.

• @Gaia.Tree said:
    @vpich great work! Im using my OT mk1 to play with bm3 loops and real happy with it. What a joy to play with.

Totally. Setup is slow but once done i hear myself doing things i had never thought about. Or even upon hearing back i’m not sure what all is happening in a scene.

• @vpich said:

@Gaia.Tree said:
    @vpich great work! Im using my OT mk1 to play with bm3 loops and real happy with it. What a joy to play with.

Totally. Setup is slow but once done i hear myself doing things i had never thought about. Or even upon hearing back i’m not sure what all is happening in a scene.

Check out OctaEdit if you haven't yet. For this kind of things absolute time saver.
    Rusty supposed to be back soon with an update that supports new OS.

• I wish there would be a simple app to move loops over to OT from iPad.
    Or maybe soon Files app will let us mount ext drives.

• @recccp said:
    I wish there would be a simple app to move loops over to OT from iPad.
    Or maybe soon Files app will let us mount ext drives.

Im doing it with the Kingston Mobilelite drive and corresponding app, but its a real bear to do it that way. Easier than naming your loops with knobs, but hey. Im probably moving back to just a headphone jack out from mu ipad into the input A on my OT and sampling loops in that way and saving them per project.

I did an A/B with my headphones and couldnt tell a difference between a drum loop sampled in via the inputs and transferred over as a 16bit wav. My music is pretty gnarly and lo fi anyways so its all good for me, YMMV

• Thanks for the tip! Didn't know such a drive exists.

• Its a bit of a pain in the butt, but basically you plug the drive into your Octa, then get it connectsd to your ipad/iphone via wifi and voila, you have your OTs file structure accessible on your ipad. The one niggle I have right now is that you cant transfer full folders directly from audioshare, only single files one at a time.

• Cool track B)

• No idea what all you’re doing there, but that is a great track.

• @stemshade said:
    Probably my preferred and quickest workflow,...get something going on the phone, make a couple variations and then with better headphones dial in the sounds...export to auria pro and prepare the tracks (one or more of the following: filter, eq, compress, saturate, delay, reverb etc) and export to the octatrack (or rytm). And then i start to program changes and fx etc. Last video i midi sequenced a bunch ios synths with the octatrack, which is pretty cool but it means an interface and cables etc, i love picking up the octatrack and a pair of headphones and plopping down on a sofa.

@echoopera

can Gadget accept program change from Octatrack? i want each part/pattern to change the sets of synths on Gadget