Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Groove Rider GR-16 Released!

Comments

• @jimpavloff said:

@ToMess said:
    Really cool app. I bought it mainly for its drum synth(that i intend to sample), but have played around with it normally. What i think really needs some taking care of is file management and midi i/o. The way files are set now doesent make sense to me. It would make much more sense to have user banks as projects and then have parts saved in that. Having all loops of all different songs in same folder makes file management a nightmare and i see no reason for.

Other thing is midi i/o. Or well personally i dont need midi in for this, but it would be nice to come up with some stuff when not at home and then just record the samples and midi to mpc.

Oh and stem export is essential ofc, both single parts/tracks and all of them

You don't have to keep all of your samples in the Documents folder. After you have imported them into your Patterns (and you don't need them anymore), you can safely delete them from the Documents folder. Also, when you save a User Pattern Bank, it already includes all the samples you have imported into all of its patterns in a just one single file. The same with separately exported pattern files.

However, in the next update there will be added a support of subfolders, created in the Documents folder (one level folders only). So you will have an ability to sort your samples the way you want to.

Export of audio files will also be added in the one of upcoming updates, as well as the Midi Input feature.

No idea what you are talking about, because i havent even looked at sample import or documents stuff :P i was talking about when i save a pattern thing inside the app. There is user bank and those demo patterns. That one user bank should be each for each session, not just one bank.

Oh yea and one more thing. Currently it takes LONG time to copy each part separately, often longer than what it took to create the patterns.

Also i saw people saying that if i make 1 bar pattern, then set the length to 2 or longer, the pattern on first bar should be copied automatically to other bars that were added. This doesent seem to work on iphone se. I had 1 bar loop, then set the length to 4 bars. What happened is that there was something added to second bar(not sure if it was only some random 1 hit or just 1hit copied) and bard 3 & 4 were empty.

• @ToMess said:

@jimpavloff said:

@ToMess said:
    Really cool app. I bought it mainly for its drum synth(that i intend to sample), but have played around with it normally. What i think really needs some taking care of is file management and midi i/o. The way files are set now doesent make sense to me. It would make much more sense to have user banks as projects and then have parts saved in that. Having all loops of all different songs in same folder makes file management a nightmare and i see no reason for.

Other thing is midi i/o. Or well personally i dont need midi in for this, but it would be nice to come up with some stuff when not at home and then just record the samples and midi to mpc.

Oh and stem export is essential ofc, both single parts/tracks and all of them

You don't have to keep all of your samples in the Documents folder. After you have imported them into your Patterns (and you don't need them anymore), you can safely delete them from the Documents folder. Also, when you save a User Pattern Bank, it already includes all the samples you have imported into all of its patterns in a just one single file. The same with separately exported pattern files.

However, in the next update there will be added a support of subfolders, created in the Documents folder (one level folders only). So you will have an ability to sort your samples the way you want to.

Export of audio files will also be added in the one of upcoming updates, as well as the Midi Input feature.

No idea what you are talking about, because i havent even looked at sample import or documents stuff :P i was talking about when i save a pattern thing inside the app. There is user bank and those demo patterns. That one user bank should be each for each session, not just one bank.

Oh yea and one more thing. Currently it takes LONG time to copy each part separately, often longer than what it took to create the patterns.

Also i saw people saying that if i make 1 bar pattern, then set the length to 2 or longer, the pattern on first bar should be copied automatically to other bars that were added. This doesent seem to work on iphone se. I had 1 bar loop, then set the length to 4 bars. What happened is that there was something added to second bar(not sure if it was only some random 1 hit or just 1hit copied) and bard 3 & 4 were empty.

It seems like you have added some notes into 2nd Bar before expanding the Pattern length. Maybe by occasion. In such case, it is intended behavior. Bar auto copy of the 1st Bar works only when 2nd, 3rd and 4th Bars are entirely empty.

• How long is this on sale? And, anyone else have some gold they made with this and are proud of?

• Great app, @jimpavloff! I had a couple of hours of great fun playing around with this!
    I agree that it’s quite involved to copy patterns and parts to a new section the way it is now. Would be really nice if there could be some improvements made in this area. I would expect some sort of an edit menu or button to duplicate and rearrange sections, maybe also just popping up on long press? That would be extremely convenient. And a way to save them in different folders for each project instead of having everything in one messy place...
    I’m also looking forward to the MIDI input. Hopefully most things will be midi mappable. MIDI note input for the pads would be great also!

• @mireko_2 said:

@Purpan said:
    Superb, this; makes me want to get an Electribe 2.

Don't do it! E2 is a great idea but not that great in practice.. now using an E2 as a midi controller for this app? That might be cool

But it's such a lovely blue colour!

• edited December 2017

nice color but inside is unfinished crappy firmware full of bugs... plus as soon as you start use fx inserts on parts, specislly delays, you end quickly with just 8-10 voices of polyphony

maybe, after jim adds midi in (cc) it can work like controller for groove rider :-)

• wimwim
    edited December 2017

@MonzoPro said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@Zen210507 said:
    I used to buy apps like this, fiddle about with them like Keith Moon in Tommy, then never use them again. No fault of the app, of course.

Undoubtedly, this is a fine app, in the hands of those who will actually do something with it. But these days I’m trying to save my credits for stuff that I can’t resist for the right reasons, not just to madly tap its buttons. :p

It’s one feature away from being a part of my usual setup - stem export. It’s so much of a joy to make little snippets - little song creation ideas. Problem is without a quick export of stems to BM3, I’m just ‘fiddling like Keith’.

What does this do better than Gadget? I can see it’s quicker than BM3, and probably more fun than iMPC Pro, but couldn’t you do all this just as easily in Gadget, or an AUM/Rozeta combo?

Wrong comparison IMO. It’s more analagous to iELECTRIBE than to Gadget. Think a supersized iELECTRIBE except using samples instead of a drum synth and with the addition of a melodic synth available for any pads as well. [edit actually you can do some pretty good drum synthesis as well, I just discovered.]

Same 1 - 4 bar pattern motif, similar sound mangling abilities, and ability to record knob tweaks on the fly. More of an idea generator / performance tool than a finished song DAW like experience.

I think you’d dig it since you hit it off so well with the iELECTRIBE.

• edited December 2017

@wim said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@Zen210507 said:
    I used to buy apps like this, fiddle about with them like Keith Moon in Tommy, then never use them again. No fault of the app, of course.

Undoubtedly, this is a fine app, in the hands of those who will actually do something with it. But these days I’m trying to save my credits for stuff that I can’t resist for the right reasons, not just to madly tap its buttons. :p

It’s one feature away from being a part of my usual setup - stem export. It’s so much of a joy to make little snippets - little song creation ideas. Problem is without a quick export of stems to BM3, I’m just ‘fiddling like Keith’.

What does this do better than Gadget? I can see it’s quicker than BM3, and probably more fun than iMPC Pro, but couldn’t you do all this just as easily in Gadget, or an AUM/Rozeta combo?

Wrong comparison IMO. It’s more analagous to iELECTRIBE than to Gadget. Think a supersized iELECTRIBE except using samples instead of a drum synth and with the addition of a melodic synth available for any pads as well.

Same 1 - 4 bar pattern motif, similar sound mangling abilities, and ability to record knob tweaks on the fly. More of an idea generator / performance tool than a finished song DAW like experience.

I think you’d dig it since you hit it off so well with the iELECTRIBE.

Thanks Wim. Actually I’m not a massive fan of the iElectribe. It was one of the first iPad apps I bought, but I’ve not really used it. It’s only come out of the box recently courtesy of the Rozeta controllers.

This one could be a good app for ideas and loops I guess, so I’ll enjoy a bit longer on the fence, puffing my pipe before deciding.

• @MonzoPro said:
    Thanks Wim. Actually I’m not a massive fan of the iElectribe. It was one of the first iPad apps I bought, but I’ve not really used it. It’s only come out of the box recently courtesy of the Rozeta controllers.

This one could be a good app for ideas and loops I guess, so I’ll enjoy a bit longer on the fence, puffing my pipe before deciding.

For some reason I mixed you and @ExAsperis99 up on this subject. He’s the one that got a such kick (pun intended) out of iELECTRIBE.

• Think once this gets midi in control it’ll come into its own for my workflow so you can use external sequencers for creating patterns and use real controller pads. Great first version release though :)

• Mrs Xmas slipped a £15 iTunes voucher into my stocking, so this could be a thing...

• I see only four bars phrases. Can I set the sequence of their playback?

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

I keep coming back to this but I can do this in Gadget thought....to do with most apps I buy, honestly. Enjoy the sherry Mister. Have a good Christmas.

Thanks Boss, hope you have a good one too. It's all a bit up in the air with hospital visits and other madness, but at some point I'm hoping to hide in a corner with the new Launchkey.

Yeah, I have the same thought whenever I buy an FX app - but I can do this in Turnado...

@robosardine said:

I cant do anything in Gadget that I can do in Groove Rider. Ten minutes playing Groove Rider has given me better sounds than I ever had in Gadget. Most times I play with Gadget it sounds tame and one dimensional- this sounds much more rasping, grungy, curly and .......... well groovy I suppose :) There are different other types of sounds in Gadget that I like and will still use though.

To it's credit it's offering a lot of stuff for the price, and I'm sure I'd get a few hours of fun even if it doesn't click, so it's looking like it might end up in my collection over xmas....maybe...

Quick question - is it easy to export audio loops, into say Audioshare? I'd be using this for Launchpad fodder, so a nice easy way to create and export loops would be essential for me.

I have no idea on the exporting perfect loops, but this IS becoming one of the central wheat and chaff separators for me these days. Recently struggling with the @LuisMartinez apps for the same reason (although they may well do it; user ignorance etc).

Christmas and sickness seem to be all too common torments, but that's little solace when you're in the specific middle of it. Be as kind as you can manage, especially to yourself.

Thanks Boss, hope you're all having a good one.

How are you getting on with the Launchkey? I got it working to a fashion with Maschine (as good as it can get I guess), and mapped it to Logic. A bit jerky, and for some reason all my menu items (e.g. new track) are greyed out when it's plugged in, but I guess a bit of manual reading is required.

Just going to see if the multi power adaptor I have here will work with it, and I'll try it out with the pad...

• @MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

I keep coming back to this but I can do this in Gadget thought....to do with most apps I buy, honestly. Enjoy the sherry Mister. Have a good Christmas.

Thanks Boss, hope you have a good one too. It's all a bit up in the air with hospital visits and other madness, but at some point I'm hoping to hide in a corner with the new Launchkey.

Yeah, I have the same thought whenever I buy an FX app - but I can do this in Turnado...

@robosardine said:

I cant do anything in Gadget that I can do in Groove Rider. Ten minutes playing Groove Rider has given me better sounds than I ever had in Gadget. Most times I play with Gadget it sounds tame and one dimensional- this sounds much more rasping, grungy, curly and .......... well groovy I suppose :) There are different other types of sounds in Gadget that I like and will still use though.

To it's credit it's offering a lot of stuff for the price, and I'm sure I'd get a few hours of fun even if it doesn't click, so it's looking like it might end up in my collection over xmas....maybe...

Quick question - is it easy to export audio loops, into say Audioshare? I'd be using this for Launchpad fodder, so a nice easy way to create and export loops would be essential for me.

I have no idea on the exporting perfect loops, but this IS becoming one of the central wheat and chaff separators for me these days. Recently struggling with the @LuisMartinez apps for the same reason (although they may well do it; user ignorance etc).

Christmas and sickness seem to be all too common torments, but that's little solace when you're in the specific middle of it. Be as kind as you can manage, especially to yourself.

How are you getting on with the Launchkey? I got it working to a fashion with Maschine (as good as it can get I guess), and mapped it to Logic. A bit jerky, and for some reason all my menu items (e.g. new track) are greyed out when it's plugged in, but I guess a bit of manual reading is required.

Just going to see if the multi power adaptor I have here will work with it, and I'll try it out with the pad...

Merry Christmas Mister Monzo. As of this writing, and with regard to the Launchkey, I must refer you to my previous testimony.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@robosardine said:

Merry Christmas Mister Monzo. As of this writing, and with regard to the Launchkey, I must refer you to my previous testimony.

Ah ok Boss, enjoy your Xmas jazz.

Given mine a bit of a test, works as expected, but a big surprise is that it works with the iPad without a power supply. Quite shocked (and very pleased) that something as big as this (49 key) works this way.

• @Slava said:
    I see only four bars phrases. Can I set the sequence of their playback?

You can trigger them in sequence from the loop list. The current loop will finish playing before it plays the next one you tapped on

• @Slava said:

Yes, you can chain patterns together in the pattern menu. You can also turn off chaining globally in the settings menu so you can focus on a particular pattern and then turn it back on so you don’t have to edit your chain sequence.

• I really need a manual for this. I don’t have any of the Electribes, so while I’m having some fun with this, there are very basic things that I just can’t figure out, like importing my own samples. I’ve gone through the many pages of this thread, but I’m obviously missing many, many things.

• @jimpavloff said:

What would be great is iCloud sync of the export/import directory so we could work on patterns between all iOS devices. I like being able to start something on the phone and then finish/work more on the iPad. I do that with Gadget and Auxy.

• edited December 2017

@ALB said:
    I really need a manual for this. I don’t have any of the Electribes, so while I’m having some fun with this, there are very basic things that I just can’t figure out, like importing my own samples. I’ve gone through the many pages of this thread, but I’m obviously missing many, many things.

Have a look at the electribe2 manual from Korg. It has very similar workflow.

http://www.korg.com/us/support/download/manual/0/367/2007/

and Parameter guide:

http://www.korg.com/us/support/download/manual/0/367/3169/

Also have a look at electribe2 and electribe2s youtube videos.

Not everything is the same, but it should give you some ideas. I have a electribe2 and I picked this right up without much "figuring out" of anything.

Haven't done much with the sampler side of things, just the basics.

• @Telengard said:

@ALB said:
    I really need a manual for this. I don’t have any of the Electribes, so while I’m having some fun with this, there are very basic things that I just can’t figure out, like importing my own samples. I’ve gone through the many pages of this thread, but I’m obviously missing many, many things.

Have a look at the electribe2 manual from Korg. It has very similar workflow.

http://www.korg.com/us/support/download/manual/0/367/2007/

and Parameter guide:

http://www.korg.com/us/support/download/manual/0/367/3169/

Also have a look at electribe2 and electribe2s youtube videos.

Not everything is the same, but it should give you some ideas. I have a electribe2 and I picked this right up without much "figuring out" of anything.

Haven't done much with the sampler side of things, just the basics.

Ok thanks. I just found sample import, so that’s good, I guess.

• @ALB said:

It does need a manual. Selling it without instructions is poor. All it leads to is frustration and wasted time trying to figure it out. It’s par for the course though. I haven’t yet imported samples yet.

• edited December 2017

@robosardine said:

@ALB said:

It does need a manual. Selling it without instructions is poor. All it leads to is frustration and wasted time trying to figure it out. It’s par for the course though. I haven’t yet imported samples yet.

Yeah I wish he would have held the release until the manual was ready ;)

• @DaveMagoo said:

But that would have just taken away all the fun in exploring and learning a new app ;)

• @InfoCheck said:

@Slava said:

Yes, you can chain patterns together in the pattern menu. You can also turn off chaining globally in the settings menu so you can focus on a particular pattern and then turn it back on so you don’t have to edit your chain sequence.

This is what I do and it works well so four bar limit is pretty irrelevant.

• @DaveMagoo said:

@robosardine said:

@ALB said:

@DaveMagoo @robosardine strange how we are all different. I’m delighted this has been released just as it is. I know it will be updated and a manual will come but I would rather not wait for those things before enjoying the riches of GR-16.

• @Samu said:

@DaveMagoo said:

But that would have just taken away all the fun in exploring and learning a new app ;)

Personally I would prefer to have the option.
    How do you access the parameter editing in edit mode? I have got the note length- chance- and velocity and all that. But how do you edit the Cutoff etc?

• edited December 2017

@robosardine said:

How do you access the parameter editing in edit mode? I have got the note length- chance- and velocity and all that. But how do you edit the Cutoff etc?

Hold down a pad/step and tweak a knob while in pattern edit mode.
    (meaning tap-and-hold a pad/step while tweaking a knob).

• @MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@robosardine said:

Given mine a bit of a test, works as expected, but a big surprise is that it works with the iPad without a power supply. Quite shocked (and very pleased) that something as big as this (49 key) works this way.

Wow. That's news to me also, and welcome news at that.

Kid finally arose, tore into his new headphones, mic, monitor speakers and Launchkey, kissed us both and buggered off back into the boycave. Might be a little bit before I can get my hands on it. And hope in some ways that I don't. If he likes it that much I'm happy that he's 'working' and also (subject to your report in a couple of weeks) I shall look into adding another etc. Did get half a shelf of books (expected/requested) and some Apple Airpods thingies (unexpected) which I have a guilty feeling already that I might like quite a bit....

• edited December 2017

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@robosardine said:

Wow. That's news to me also, and welcome news at that.

Kid finally arose, tore into his new headphones, mic, monitor speakers and Launchkey, kissed us both and buggered off back into the boycave. Might be a little bit before I can get my hands on it. And hope in some ways that I don't. If he likes it that much I'm happy that he's 'working' and also (subject to your report in a couple of weeks) I shall look into adding another etc. Did get half a shelf of books (expected/requested) and some Apple Airpods thingies (unexpected) which I have a guilty feeling already that I might like quite a bit....

I had a good session with it this afternoon. Keyboard build (actual keys) quality isn’t the best, but the rest of the unit is very solid. As well as not needing external power, it didn’t seem to have much of an effect on battery life either.