Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Groove Rider GR-16 Released!

Comments

• @skiphunt said:
    How does the automation work? I’m trying to see what everyone is excited about with this but I don’t see what’s so unique. I’m not wild about the sounds in the preset patterns at all, but that’s just a matter of taste. So far, I’m thinking I’m plenty covered in this area and would rather spend more time getting better with BM3.

Is it that many of you are attracted to this based on nostalgia for hardware this does a good job of emulating? If so, I don’t have any legacy context in this area.

I mean, it seems like a nice app with a great deal built in, etc. but I’m not seeing what the big attraction is. Maybe it’s just not the sort of thing I dig. Still curious though. What specifically do many of you instant fans of this find so appealing?

For myself:

It’s a way of doing things. It’s the whole thing that encapsulates a feeling. You know that feeling when something just clicks and all of a sudden you find time flys and you’ve made something.

Is it to do with me remembering beat boxes of old? Nope not really. I loved the one I had, but not enough to care for some of the quirks it had - after all iOS is swamped with little beat boxes really - this one just feels more fun at this time. I say ‘at this time’ as it still has that new box feeling.

Should you distract yourself from learning BM3? That’s completely up to yourself. I love distractions - maybe why I’ve never ever finished a whole track in my life ;)

• @Fruitbat1919 said:

@skiphunt said:
    How does the automation work? I’m trying to see what everyone is excited about with this but I don’t see what’s so unique. I’m not wild about the sounds in the preset patterns at all, but that’s just a matter of taste. So far, I’m thinking I’m plenty covered in this area and would rather spend more time getting better with BM3.

Is it that many of you are attracted to this based on nostalgia for hardware this does a good job of emulating? If so, I don’t have any legacy context in this area.

I mean, it seems like a nice app with a great deal built in, etc. but I’m not seeing what the big attraction is. Maybe it’s just not the sort of thing I dig. Still curious though. What specifically do many of you instant fans of this find so appealing?

For myself:

It’s a way of doing things. It’s the whole thing that encapsulates a feeling. You know that feeling when something just clicks and all of a sudden you find time flys and you’ve made something.

Is it to do with me remembering beat boxes of old? Nope not really. I loved the one I had, but not enough to care for some of the quirks it had - after all iOS is swamped with little beat boxes really - this one just feels more fun at this time. I say ‘at this time’ as it still has that new box feeling.

Should you distract yourself from learning BM3? That’s completely up to yourself. I love distractions - maybe why I’ve never ever finished a whole track in my life ;)

Basically just getting feedback on why regulars are so excited with this. I didn’t get the giddiness about WerkBench at first either... until I got it and the finally got why so many raved about it. Love that one now.

Will likely stay on the fence with this one until I hear more demos that I like. The last one I listened to by @echoopera I think, sounded good to me.

• @ipadthai said:
    Is there a manual? Can’t seem to record anything to a pad. Just plays preset patterns.

For some bizarre reason there is no manual- as per the case for so many apps. Just ask on the forum if you are stuck. Doug Woods has a getting started video up already- watch this and you should be sorted. I had a struggle for a little to get it going and I have had plenty of experience with grooveboxes (but not the new electribes). It’s slightly unconventional- well enough to throw you if you are not expecting it. Watch the video- play around then just ask. As long as you remember that the sequencer does not advance automatically by a step when you enter a note- you will be fine. Once you get used to it- it does become quite intuitive.

• I'm currently writing a Manual for GR. Don't know how long will it take. Meanwhile, please ask your questions here when you have some.

• @skiphunt said:

It's quite playable as instrument as well as offering a rich palette of sequencing possibilities. I just put together a very simple two bar, two instrument piece that wasn't much more than a little percussion accompanied by a few rhythmic bleeping sounds. And then I lost close to half an hour playing arpeggio variants over the top of that with the x/y pad. Really captivating stuff that made me wish I had set up to record it, while at the same time being so easy to make captivating grooves that there isn't any reason at all to need to save them.

I'm getting quite fond of iOS music apps that are venturing into the area of being playable instruments while incorporating enough sequencing ability (or other structure) to hold an interesting groove so that playing doesn't end up wandering completely all over the place. It's extremely satisfying to be able to make listenable, intriguing and fun music without getting bogged down in tweaking a bunch of notes on a piano roll or trying to play keyboards or pads for extended periods without a minor oops mucking it up part way through. This app is one of those that delivers that kind of experience, and does it while requiring minimum storage space and CPU.

If you like unforced music making and being able to get lost in an abundance of good grooves, you'll probably enjoy this one. If you prefer the mechanics of composing note by note and make music by trying to literally transcribe ideas you pre-form in your head, this app might feel a little too much like driving on ice for you.

• @Fruitbat1919 said:

@skiphunt said:

For myself:

Yes. This!

• edited December 2017

@Angie said:

@skiphunt said:

It's quite playable as instrument as well as offering a rich palette of sequencing possibilities. I just put together a very simple two bar, two instrument piece that wasn't much more than a little percussion accompanied by a few rhythmic bleeping sounds. And then I lost close to half an hour playing arpeggio variants over the top of that with the x/y pad. Really captivating stuff that made me wish I had set up to record it, while at the same time being so easy to make captivating grooves that there isn't any reason at all to need to save them.

I'm getting quite fond of iOS music apps that are venturing into the area of being playable instruments while incorporating enough sequencing ability (or other structure) to hold an interesting groove so that playing doesn't end up wandering completely all over the place. It's extremely satisfying to be able to make listenable, intriguing and fun music without getting bogged down in tweaking a bunch of notes on a piano roll or trying to play keyboards or pads for extended periods without a minor oops mucking it up part way through. This app is one of those that delivers that kind of experience, and does it while requiring minimum storage space and CPU.

If you like unforced music making and being able to get lost in an abundance of good grooves, you'll probably enjoy this one. If you prefer the mechanics of composing note by note and make music by trying to literally transcribe ideas you pre-form in your head, this app might feel a little too much like driving on ice for you.

I do like driving on ice. ;) And, I do prefer the pad approach of BM3 since I haven’t quite caught onto keyboard playing as much as I’d like to.

Does look like you get an awful lot for the launch price of $10.

Will wait and see how the iTunes balance holds out and if I end up with any stocking stuffer cards :) Kinda wanting Egoist while it’s on sale too.

Thanks for the helpful feedback!

• edited December 2017

Can you transpose patterns scale or lock 'all' patterns to a specific scale?

BTW.. The Arp 'Performance' feature is golden.

• @skiphunt said:
    Does look like you get an awful lot for the launch price of $10.

I think you do. It's a universal app and this is a particularly nice one to have on the iPhone as well as an iPad. It would be a good $10 purchase if it had half the capacity - so I guess the post launch price seems quite fair too.

• edited December 2017

@RajahP said:

I'm not sure how well editing after recording works. You can transpose each part (and access a bunch of editing functions) in enter/utils. And you can set scale which restricts your keyboard to in key notes when record. But not sure if you can flip an existing sequence into a new key.

But editing and find tuning seems a lot less necessary to me when it's so easy to make a fresh, new in-key motif with just a swipe of a finger. Editing by erasing a sequence, blobbing in a bunch of in-key notes and then un-sequencing anything that sounds too busy is more fun for me. More like sculpting music than assembling it brick by brick. :)

• @Angie said:

@RajahP said:

I'm not sure how well editing after recording works. You can transpose each part (and access a bunch of editing functions) in enter/utils. And you can set scale which restricts your keyboard to in key notes when record. But not sure if you can flip an existing sequence into a new key.

But editing and find tuning seems a lot less necessary to me when it's so easy to make a fresh, new in-key motif with just a swipe of a finger. Editing by erasing a sequence, blobbing in a bunch of in-key notes and then un-sequencing anything that sounds too busy is more fun for me. More like sculpting music than assembling it brick by brick. :)

Agreed. I've been recording everything live and it works great.

• @jimpavloff said:
    I'm currently writing a Manual for GR. Don't know how long will it take. Meanwhile, please ask your questions here when you have some.

1/Is there a way to record automation for longer than the length of the loop?

2/Does each synth part have 1 oscillator?

3/How do I change the start and finish of each slice as the Osc controlls don’t seem to do anything?

• For those that are saying it's not a BM 3 killer, I don't think this is trying to be a DAW. i like this as an idea for live performance.

Hopefully it's totally midi mappable and I can go crazy with my mpk 232

• The app does work very similar to the Korg Volca Sample so for me it’s been lots of fun as once you get the hang of how it works, it’s easy to build up tracks and try variations of what you’ve laid down. I find it a lot less tedious than many groove box type apps to setup and get going. There’s not a lot of menu diving and once the app clicks with you, you’re good to go. Chaining patterns together in a bank works well. In many respects it’s a groove box version of the sample pedal guitarists use to build up a song from scratch in live settings except you can easily erase and add all sorts of control or parts to your patterns.

• @DaveMagoo said:

@jimpavloff said:
    I'm currently writing a Manual for GR. Don't know how long will it take. Meanwhile, please ask your questions here when you have some.

3/How do I change the start and finish of each slice as the Osc controlls don’t seem to do anything?

1. Hit the red record button and then play. Wiggle whatever knobs or the Jim Audio xy pad to record your movements. Hit stop when you’re finished.
    2. Not sure about the oscillator question.
    3. You need to set the parameters for the part sample in the pad as shown in the screen shots.

• Going to need MIDI in. I'm all for this, be> @anomieholiday said:

Hopefully it's totally midi mappable and I can go crazy with my mpk 232

Me too! If it is, I'm in.

Velocity confirmed anyone?

• Doug Woods has a new awesome video out on it as is to be expected.

• Great app best beat box out there on iOS would be my initial thought after playing with it for a few hours. It’s pretty deep in what it can do. Would love to see a few things added

1. Midi in and out.
    2. Dropbox import like BM3 has ie zipped folders so it would be easier to get sample folders in. I find Apples Files app a pain for moving items between folders currently I don’t think you can move or copy folders just files singularly or in groups.
    3. I would like to see AU / IAA hosting with a simple sample keyboard again like BM3. I know this is a BeatMaker and not a fully fledged DAW, I wouldn’t want it to be. However a quick way of sampling from all the other great synth apps etc out there would be great.
  • edited December 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Jumpercollins said:
    Would love to see a few things added

1. Midi in and out.

I’ve got to stop making impulse purchases without knowing about the Midi situation first.

• @StudioES said:
    Sorry if this has already been asked, but can each Part have a different length (like the Electribe 2)?
    i.e. Part 1 has 16 steps, Part 2 has 7 steps (& Part 2 will loop back to Step 1 after Step 7 plays, while Part 1 continues to Step 16)...or is it 16/32/48/64-steps overall for all Parts?
    Thanks.

Both but for all parts it has 16/32/16-Triplet/32-Triplet

• Holy shit, this app.... it’s so good! Obviously owes some design credit to KORG’s engineers, but I spent a majority of my time with the Electribe 2 frustrated by voice stealing, sampling limitations and pattern change glitches before giving up sending her back to Sweetwater. It feels like the GR-16 dev had those same frustrations and thought “yeah, I can do this better.” And they did. They so did.

What a great way to cap off a great year for iOS music production. Brb going to write a whole album with Groove Rider.

• Honestly, even without the midi situation it's pretty good, but fully midi-mappable would just be a literal dream. I likely would never use anything else, ever, for live performance

• IAA problems again, not seeing Grooverider in Cubasis, or in BM3. Yes I know there are other ways to get it in via AUM but that adds to CPU useage and just more steps. I’m seeing it in Auria Pro. Tried Modstep, however Modstep at present crashes on launch!

Anyone else having IAA visibility of grooverider problems?

• Fantastic app. Not only much of the Electribe power here, but also a nice combination of both a synthesis and sample playback engine, with so many tiny and well-thought-out features.
    THANK YOU @jimpavloff for finally building a really useful beatmaking app!

Which brings me to two things I would love to be able to do:
    1. Sync GR to ext. Midi Clock from my Electribes
    2. Sampling inside the app. A simple and quick sampling screen with some basic controls to record and do basic editing like crop, normalize, fade. Would speed up workflow a lot.

I've been using Stroke Machine by now in the hardware setup, but these two features inside GR would help me forget it and only use GR.

• @anomieholiday said:
    For those that are saying it's not a BM 3 killer, I don't think this is trying to be a DAW. i like this as an idea for live performance.

It be cool if you could open a groove rider session in bm3 with correlating scenes and it mapped out as it's own bank .

• @InfoCheck said:

@DaveMagoo said:

@jimpavloff said:

1. Hit the red record button and then play. Wiggle whatever knobs or the Jim Audio xy pad to record your movements. Hit stop when you’re finished.
    2. Not sure about the oscillator question.
    3. You need to set the parameters for the part sample in the pad as shown in the screen shots.

1. The OSC selection decides if you are using one or two. For example: the selection below is two OSCs

That’s how it sounds to me anyway, maybe I’m wrong lol

• edited December 2017

It's begging for some Garageband beat sequencer love in those pads. GB makes > @Angie said:

@RajahP said:

I think scale/key transpose (of already recorded material) is a crucial feature, especially if the developer decides to sell ‘expansion sounds/banks’.. There are some truly gifted sound designers out there.. and transposing and tweaking can be a beautiful thing in this wonderful app..

• @jimpavloff said:
    In the nearest update I plan to do:

• fix the import samples crash issue;
    • remove Import and Export subfolders from Documents folder which are currently there (added by a mistake);
    • you will be able to create your own folders with imported samples inside the Documents and access them from the part's Wave selection table;
    • Virtual Midi Input and probably Midi CC support;
    • Audio Export options.

Please add my vote for CC support. Instant purchase if this is definitely coming.