Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

MV08 Update

Hey guys,

I've just released an update for MV08. Here's the release notes:

• AUv3 support

• Individual IAA outs for each channel

• WAV recording type

• Channel Edit Mode, including:
    -- Randomise the steps added to the selected channel
    -- Copy + Paste steps to different bars within the same pad or between different channels
    -- Nudge the sequence forwards or backwards
    -- Clear the step data on the selected channel
    -- Undo

• Improved Step Automation Mode, including:
    -- Randomise the selected parameter edits across the sequence
    -- Clear the selected parameter edit across all steps
    -- Manually adjust parameters per step (as previously on Step Edit mode)
    -- Clear the selected parameter edit across the selected step
    -- Undo

• New solo and mute modes

• Tap the grid to change the visible steps (iPad only)

• You can now add steps by dragging your finger across the sequencer

• Hi Hat choke is now available on a per pattern basis

A quick note on the AU, it maxes out at 4 instances due to RAM limitations that Apple place on each app. MV08 has to load about 60MB of samples at launch. Add in the UI and each instance comes to about 80MB, so it adds up quickly! I could have removed samples in order to lower the size, but that would obviously alter the quality of the sound. I went for quality over quantity.

As always I'll be keeping a close eye on the forums for a few days so any comments and criticisms will be most welcome.

Anyway hope everyone is having / preparing for a good Christmas break.

Cheers guys,

James

Comments

• Looks good - thanks!

• @JSMilton said:
    Hey guys,

• AUv3 support

• WAV recording type

-- Copy + Paste steps to different bars within the same pad or between different channels
      -- Undo

-- Undo

A quick note on the AU, it maxes out at 4 instances due to RAM limitations that Apple place on each app. MV08 has to load about 60MB of samples at launch. Add in the UI and each instance comes to about 80MB, so it adds up quickly! I could have removed samples in order to lower the size, but that would obviously alter the quality of the sound. I went for quality over quantity.

As always I'll be keeping a close eye on the forums for a few days so any comments and criticisms will be most welcome.

Cheers guys,

James

IMO you did the right thing not reducing the samples. AU is not all about multiple instances for many of us, it’s about a more reliable working flow than when using IAA :)

• HEAD EXPLODES.
    So happy. A glorious drum machine.
    But can we name our patterns, or must we remember that PTN03 in BANK D goes with the cool Animoog thing I was working on last week? And by updating — did I just delete all my previously saved patterns?

HEAD EXPLODES.

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    HEAD EXPLODES.
    But can we name our patterns, or must we remember that PTN03 in BANK D goes with the cool Animoog thing I was working on last week? And by updating — did I just delete all my previously saved patterns?

HEAD EXPLODES.

In all seriousness, James, you made a beautiful app. But it is really confounding that we can't name and save our patterns.

• What is "WAV recording type"? Does that mean we can import our own waveforms as drums?

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    HEAD EXPLODES.

HEAD EXPLODES.

Cheers man! You definitely shouldn't have lost your previous patterns though. I went to great lengths to make sure that didn't happen, so I'll be pretty annoyed at myself if thats a bug that's slipped through.

@ExAsperis99 said:

@ExAsperis99 said:
    HEAD EXPLODES.

HEAD EXPLODES.

In all seriousness, James, you made a beautiful app. But it is really confounding that we can't name and save our patterns.

I really didn't think the pattern saving system would be so contentious :P I'll look into a way of adding named patterns for a future update. If I can fit it into the UI, I'll definitely give it a go.

@Audiojunkie said:
    What is "WAV recording type"? Does that mean we can import our own waveforms as drums?

That means that loops can now be recorded as WAV files. Before it was just M4A. Loading your own samples into MV08 is something I've been seriously considering, so maybe sometime next I'll add it as an IAP or something.

Cheers guys!

• @JSMilton said:

@ExAsperis99 said:
    HEAD EXPLODES.

HEAD EXPLODES.

Cheers man! You definitely shouldn't have lost your previous patterns though. I went to great lengths to make sure that didn't happen, so I'll be pretty annoyed at myself if thats a bug that's slipped through.

@ExAsperis99 said:

@ExAsperis99 said:
    HEAD EXPLODES.

HEAD EXPLODES.

I really didn't think the pattern saving system would be so contentious :P I'll look into a way of adding named patterns for a future update. If I can fit it into the UI, I'll definitely give it a go.

@Audiojunkie said:
    What is "WAV recording type"? Does that mean we can import our own waveforms as drums?

That means that loops can now be recorded as WAV files. Before it was just M4A. Loading your own samples into MV08 is something I've been seriously considering, so maybe sometime next I'll add it as an IAP or something.

Cheers guys!

Thank you, James. I get lost in MV08 for long stretches, and regularly miss my subway stop.

• @ExAsperis99 said:

@JSMilton said:

@ExAsperis99 said:
    HEAD EXPLODES.

HEAD EXPLODES.

@ExAsperis99 said:

@ExAsperis99 said:
    HEAD EXPLODES.

HEAD EXPLODES.

@Audiojunkie said:

Cheers guys!

Thank you, James. I get lost in MV08 for long stretches, and regularly miss my subway stop.

Yes a lot of us want to be able to name our patterns, but AU! What a great update!

• I need another drum machine like I need a hole in my head. But there's something I can't resist when an app offers AU and Universal. AutoBuy. Can't wait to try it out.

• AU support.....in tha pocket

• @JSMilton said:
    Hey guys,

• AUv3 support

• WAV recording type

-- Undo

-- Undo

Cheers guys,

James

Very very nice. Just bought it for the first time.
    Would love to see FullScreen/MIDI out and Sequencer available in AU mode. But no rush. It’s hot as is.

• i love this app and am definitely looking forward to testing the new features. Great sound and look. Loading our own samples would be terrific, and I would definitely pay for that function. As it is, I use it a lot.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Sweet update! Thank you.

• Needs map for Rozeta

• @anickt said:
    Needs map for Rozeta

Yeah, but it's the paramater-locking that makes MV08 so amazing.

• @ExAsperis99 said:

@anickt said:
    Needs map for Rozeta

+1

• @ExAsperis99

That's awesome mate. Not the fact you missed your stop so much lol, but that you like the app that much.

Glad everyone is liking the new update, took a while to get the AU working well so im happy that its gone down well.

@anickt @d4d0ug

Just been looking at Rozeta, never seen it before. Looks awesome though so I might get it over the holidays and have a play. In the mean time, is there anything I could do in the app to help with the mapping?

@realdavidai

Adding the sequencer in to AU ramps the complexity of the whole thing up quite a bit, so it's probably not going to happen soon. Will definitely think about beefing up the AU implementation for a future update though. Glad you're into it as it is though.

• Man, that's quite an update! Thanks and congrats.

• @JSMilton

@realdavidai

Adding the sequencer in to AU ramps the complexity of the whole thing up quite a bit, so it's probably not going to happen soon. Will definitely think about beefing up the AU implementation for a future update though. Glad you're into it as it is though.

Understood! I do think that all Drum AU’s deserve their own Pads without having to depend on the host keyboard. This is where MIDI out and full screen could be very handy.

• @ExAsperis99 said:

@anickt said:
    Needs map for Rozeta

Agreed!

• Great update, thanks! Just bought the app the other day, sounds great.

Sample import would be awesome, love some 707 and DMX sounds mixed in with my 808s :smile:

A fill mode would be really cool too!

• edited December 2017

I'd be happy to pay for additional sound sets via IAP. Sample coverage wouldn't need to be nearly as extensive for most other 'classic' DMs. Edit: Though maybe that'd be a separate app that uses the same basic feature set and this one can be left as the ultimate 808 tribute it is.

Any plans for a song mode or even pattern chaining?

I'm totally happy with numerical pattern names. Every hardware drum machine I've ever used (and most software DMs too) only use bank+numbers for patterns. I'd prefer to see the notion of 'projects' added so that A1 can be different for each project. Projects are also probably needed for a song mode to make any sort of sense.

• @anickt said:
    Needs map for Rozeta

Think the GM map should work.

• @syrupcore said:
    I'd be happy to pay for additional sound sets via IAP. Sample coverage wouldn't need to be nearly as extensive for most other 'classic' DMs.

Any plans for a song mode or even pattern chaining?

This. Or, in fact, these.

• WOW and thanks for making Great even greater.

I strongly +1 for iAP sample sets: when you've got an engine this good it seems a shame to limit the potential nature.

• wimwim
    edited December 2017

@syrupcore said:

@anickt said:
    Needs map for Rozeta

Think the GM map should work.

GM won't work for the AU. The notes start at 60 and go up sequential from there, left to right, starting with the bottom row.