Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Autistic students iPad band.

Awesome story on CBS Sunday morning this morning.

Comments

• Nice. Monzo Jnr has been diagnosed with Autism - he's more into art than music so tends to draw pattern in Auxy and play them back. I'll have a look at this later.

• Great video. Nope, I’m not crying...

• That’s great, thanks for letting us know about it! This is one of the important, often overlooked, uses for music apps and I’m proud that ThumbJam is a part of that school’s program.

• Thanks. My students will love this.

• This was a web exclusive so unfortunately it didn’t get televised. But still a great story nonetheless

• Thanks for sharing @Bootsy
    That made my day.

• Awesome! My daughter is on the spectrum with a genetic component. We love adaptive and inclusive tech here.

• Video not available in my country, boo-urns

• As the father of a child on the spectrum, that was great to watch.

• @Graison said:
    Video not available in my country, boo-urns

Football in the groin! Football in the groin!

‘Wow..I’ll never drink again.’
    “Beer here!”
    ‘I’ll take ten.’

• @waynerowand said:
    Awesome! My daughter is on the spectrum with a genetic component. We love adaptive and inclusive tech here.

@ipadthai said:
    As the father of a child on the spectrum, that was great to watch.

With my lad, and your two we’ve almost got a band of our own here :)

• Was there another app that was used that wasn't Thumbjam?

• Thanks for the share, Bootsy. Props to the kids, parents, teachers, and devs like Jesse (sonosaurus). :+1:

• @MonzoPro said:

@waynerowand said:
    Awesome! My daughter is on the spectrum with a genetic component. We love adaptive and inclusive tech here.

@ipadthai said:
    As the father of a child on the spectrum, that was great to watch.

With my lad, and your two we’ve almost got a band of our own here :)

I’m sure we could wrangle up enough ipads

• edited December 2017

It's strange that we didn't see this story on CBS Sunday Morning today. The link shows that it was added to YT today, but did it actually air? My wife and I watch this news program every Sunday and have for years. This story wasn't on this morning's episode here in Austin, Texas.

Back when I was a teenager, I sometimes took care of a neighborhood autistic boy when he parents had to be gone for a few hours running errands. I remember the boy would seem almost normal and at ease for a good while, then all of a sudden it was like some storm had overtaken his mind.

Years later, when I was experimenting with psychedelics... and sometimes over-indulging to the point where all of a sudden it was like someone had hit the random button on my synapses. It was as if a strange electrical storm had overtaken my neural network. I was "in there" but unable to communicate what was going on to the outside. Couldn't even form the words for or utter "help!". In short, a real bad trip.

It didn't happen often, but when I sensed it was coming on, I'd go straight for some classical music. Somehow, it felt like the internal psychic structure that had just been obliterated, was able to sort of lock sync with the structure of a classical piece and I was able to avoid the imminent descent into neural oblivion.

I wondered if maybe the same use of classical music could somehow be beneficial for those suffering with autism, to sort of give them something to kind of lock onto or sync their attention with.

There was a woman at the coffee shop some time ago with an autistic child and I mentioned this rough theory to her and asked what she thought about it. She said she vaguely remembered reading about some studies lately using classical music with autism. Although she said the article was reporting positive findings, she wasn't sure of the details of the study.

• edited December 2017

Thanks for posting this. Our youngest has mild CP with developmental delays so finding things which allow him to express his joy with us is always a wonderful thing.

And also thanks to all the parents here for being champions for their sons and daughters. Our kids have taught us what matters most in this life...empathy, compassion and purpose.

With much love to you all <3 may this Xmas season be a blessed one.

• @skiphunt said:
    It's strange that we didn't see this story on CBS Sunday Morning today. The link shows that it was added to YT today, but did it actually air? My wife and I watch this news program every Sunday and have for years. This story wasn't on this morning's episode here in Austin, Texas.

Back when I was a teenager, I sometimes took care of a neighborhood autistic boy when he parents had to be gone for a few hours running errands. I remember the boy would seem almost normal and at ease for a good while, then all of a sudden it was like some storm had overtaken his mind.

Years later, when I was experimenting with psychedelics... and sometimes over-indulging to the point where all of a sudden it was like someone had hit the random button on my synapses. It was as if a strange electrical storm had overtaken my neural network. I was "in there" but unable to communicate what was going on to the outside. Couldn't even form the words for or utter "help!". In short, a real bad trip.

It didn't happen often, but when I sensed it was coming on, I'd go straight for some classical music. Somehow, it felt like the internal psychicl structure that had just been obliterated, was able to sort of lock sync with the structure of a classical piece and I was able to avoid the imminent descent into neural oblivion.

I wondered if maybe the same use of classical music could somehow be beneficial for those suffering with autism, to sort of give them something to kind of lock onto or sync their attention with.

There was a woman at the coffee shop some time ago with an autistic child and I mentioned this rough theory to her and what she thought about it. She said the vaguely remembered reading about some studies lately using classical music with autism. Although she said the article was reporting positive findings, she wasn't sure of the details of the study.

@skiphunt, it was a web only exclusive. I just happened to be looking at their website and noticed the iPad band in the title. Wasn’t until I watched it that I realized it was much more than that. So glad I watched it and shared it.

• Great video, those students did really well. I think all students would benefit from being able to have access to these sorts of musical resources.

• Can you go to the cbs Sunday morning page and watch it there?

@Graison said:

@oat_phipps said:

@Graison said:

Football in the groin! Football in the groin!

‘Wow..I’ll never drink again.’
    “Beer here!”
    ‘I’ll take ten.’

• @skiphunt said:

It didn't happen often, but when I sensed it was coming on, I'd go straight for some classical music. Somehow, it felt like the internal psychicl structure that had just been obliterated, was able to sort of lock sync with the structure of a classical piece and I was able to avoid the imminent descent into neural oblivion.

There was a woman at the coffee shop some time ago with an autistic child and I mentioned this rough theory to her and what she thought about it. She said the vaguely remembered reading about some studies lately using classical music with autism. Although she said the article was reporting positive findings, she wasn't sure of the details of the study.

I once had a student with autism. C could not tie his shoes, had minimal verbal skills, and a number of other developmental deficits. However, he could sit down at this old upright piano kept in the Life Skills classroom, and improvise the greatest Debussy compositions that Debussy never got around to writing. He was phenomenal.

• @InfoCheck said:
    Great video, those students did really well. I think all students would benefit from being able to have access to these sorts of musical resources.

You wouldn’t believe the amount of time I’ve spent battling the education system here, just to ensure my son gets a basic level of education or even humane treatment. At his last school he was placed behind a screen in the corridor in isolation, in a 2x4ft space, with a sign on it telling everyone not to speak to him. When he tried to go to the loo he was rugby tackled to the floor by the headmaster in an (unofficial) ‘restraint’.

The general consensus here is they should be dumped in a facility with ‘problem kids’.

Great some have access to resources like this, but in cash strapped Wales they’re thrown on the scrapheap.

• @Milestone_Music said:
    Was there another app that was used that wasn't Thumbjam?

I also saw GarageBand being used

• Well, that was an early Christmas present for me. Wonderful video and comments in the thread. Thanks for posting, @Bootsy. This is what it's all about.

• @MonzoPro said:

@InfoCheck said:
    Great video, those students did really well. I think all students would benefit from being able to have access to these sorts of musical resources.

You wouldn’t believe the amount of time I’ve spent battling the education system here, just to ensure my son gets a basic level of education or even humane treatment. At his last school he was placed behind a screen in the corridor in isolation, in a 2x4ft space, with a sign on it telling everyone not to speak to him. When he tried to go to the loo he was rugby tackled to the floor by the headmaster in an (unofficial) ‘restraint’.

The general consensus here is they should be dumped in a facility with ‘problem kids’.

Great some have access to resources like this, but in cash strapped Wales they’re thrown on the scrapheap.

Is there a word that combines heartbreak and rage?

• edited December 2017

@MonzoPro said:

@InfoCheck said:

That is downright criminal treatment of your son. Go to the district head (or U.K. equivalent ) and detail to them what is going on. I am not familiar with U.K. Legislation, but there is more than likely a provision that mandates he is to receive a free and appropriate education in a least restrictive environment, and be provided with all supports, modifications, and accommodations ensuring that he can access that education. Don't give up. What they are doing to him is grossly wrong, and most likely legally actionable.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @MonzoPro said:

@InfoCheck said:

It seems to be a case of too many thinking they’re pennywise when they’re being pound foolish. Children are our future and an investment in them will pay off in the future. I hope your son is treated with respect and receieves justice rather than this abusive treatment.

• @ExAsperis99 said:

@MonzoPro said:

@InfoCheck said:

Is there a word that combines heartbreak and rage?

I can think of a few...

@JeffChasteen said:

@MonzoPro said:

@InfoCheck said:

That is downright criminal treatment of your son. Go to the district head (or U.K. equivalent ) and detail to them what is going on. I am not familiar with U.K. Legislation, but there is more than likely a provision that mandates he is to receive a free and appropriate education in a least restrictive environment, and be provided with all supports, modifications, and accommodations ensuring that he can access that education. Don't give up. What they are doing to him is grossly wrong, and most likely legally actionable.

We put in an official complaint to the school governors but it was ignored, so we were told we had to put in a complaint about the complaint not being responded to (it includes disability discrimination, physical assault, lack of action on bullying, etc.). We've done that, and are waiting to hear the response. In the meantime the police picked up on the illegal 'restraints', and that's going through as a separate thing. The police have confirmed it would be classed as an assault (against a 7 year old disabled child), but because it occurred more than 6 months ago they can't prosecute. Of course if they'd responded to our complaint when we put it in...that would have gone through.

I think what's shocked us more than the actual failings at the school, is the way our serious complaints were stonewalled. We even asked the secretary for education for help but they said they couldn't 'act on individual cases'. It's now blowing up in their faces as ours is not the only complaint they're dealing with. The Head is currently suspended. Eventually we will be sueing the school and education authority, but we have to go through the process with the initial series of complaints first. I'd like to see a full investigation into not only the issues at the school, but subsequent cover up.

Fortunately Monzo Jnr. is at a new school where the teachers and Head are absolutely brilliant and lovely, but he's suffering PTSD-like conditions after his year of bad treatment, and could have permanent issues with anxiety.

It's been a year of hell, basically.

• @Max23 said:

@MonzoPro said:

@InfoCheck said:

Can’t you move somewhere else where ppl are a little more educated?
    Don’t talk to the monkey in the cage, wow, what kind of school is that?! :o

His new school ten miles away is completely different. The staff are fantastic and really responsive to his needs. It seems to be down to the quality of teaching at individual schools and the way they are managed.

Thing is he's very bright - he has a reading age of someone more than twice his age.

@InfoCheck said:

@MonzoPro said:

@InfoCheck said:

It seems to be a case of too many thinking they’re pennywise when they’re being pound foolish. Children are our future and an investment in them will pay off in the future. I hope your son is treated with respect and receieves justice rather than this abusive treatment.

Thanks. One of the things they did was to put him in situations known to cause him anxiety - so he'd respond and they'd give him an exclusion (which meant I had to stop work - which has wrecked my business basically). One time I asked the Head why he was doing this, and he said it would 'help move things along' financially - that they'd get money to support his condition. So using him as a pawn to get more money. But then we found they were already getting money for his support, so they just wanted more.

We've been talking to other parents, and most in our situation have taken their kids out of the school and are home teaching them. We can't afford to do that, but we've been lucky in finding a good school now.