Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Iphone 7 and up Midi + Audio + charging

I've see this discussion (https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/22081/how-do-you-handle-midi-and-audio-with-iphone-7), but I still can't figure out how to get iphone with no 3.55mm audio jack to be charged, connected to a MIDI keyboard and audio out. Can anyone recommend the exact solution?
I have an iconnect midi 2+ and the apple CCK cable with an extra female lightning port. On ipad I can have charge and MIDI and audio out through the jack. On Iphone I can have charge and MIDI or charge and audio, but not MIDI and audio without buying a korg plug key which is not right for me. Solutions?

Comments

• with a midi 2+ you can only send the audio to an attached mac/pc

if you want a single device the audio 2/4 is what you want, or an apogee duet/quartet

• CCK3 is the solution I think.

• Thanks for replying. I have the CCK3 but I still don't see how or what the routing would be. Aside from routing the iconnect midi into the lightning port with their dedicated cable and firmware updated into the cck3 lightning port giving accessory not supported error, I'm left only with the CCK3 USB out. Does that let me run audio out? Where would I run audio over USB to and how to connect it to the powered mixer?

• I just borrowed a behringer u-control audio interface which does route audio in/out via USB. I'm a bit doubtful of the quality but I had limited time and in any case it works. But I still cannot connect the iconnect midi 2+ via the CCK3s lightning port. It is either one or the other but not both. And charging without the iconnect midi would require yet another cck3 daisy chained? Anyone know of all solution?

• @wellingtonCres said:
    with a midi 2+ you can only send the audio to an attached mac/pc

if you want a single device the audio 2/4 is what you want, or an apogee duet/quartet

Thanks. Apogee duet is costing more than the phone, and out of my budget. The audio 2/4 is limited to one midi in/out but seems to be the ticket? Anyone confirm it functions with the latest phones with charging and audio and midi (

• The CCK3 does not contribute to the Audio routing as such. What it does do is take the charging out of the equation, giving you freedom of choice of Audio interface, mixer or whatever might suit your needs That’s all.

• edited December 2017

Steinberg ur22 mkii is the best bang for the buck in the budget price range imo. You ofc need the newer usb lightning dongle to charge ipad at the same time. Ur22 can be powered with regular android phone charger, usb battery pack etc

• edited December 2017

I use ultra compact irig pro i/o with usb wire on cck3, works perfect for audio/midi even phantom power and charging iPhone 7 Plus. On usb IRig dont use internal battery. Connect cck3 to powerbank and it’s 100% mobile. Ik multimedia sells a wall plug too which allow to charge iPhone through irig pro io. But I thinked about using cck and usb wire instead of lightning because irig is class compliant and this works perfectly although being not official from ikm. I tried ikm new irig pre hd and this trick don’t works. Irig Pro io has really good audio converters too.

• edited December 2017

@ToMess said:
    Steinberg ur22 mkii is the best bang for the buck in the budget price range imo. You ofc need the newer usb lightning dongle to charge ipad at the same time. Ur22 can be powered with regular android phone charger, usb battery pack etc

Thanks, ToMess and thanks @Janosax for the help. It look like steinberg ur22 is the ticket. I look through the specs and think that I will be able to go from the USB port on the back to the CCK3 and rout midi and audio in and out via that port, and audio out to the mixer via the two balanced outputs. Charging of the IPAD if it doesn't work on the USB line when the steinberg is plugged in can be via the CCK3 lightning port. Have I got that right?

Sax, I'm glad you get good value out of the irig. I have had three IK products and I find them high cost and low quality. My first irig plastic shell snapped pulling it from the guitar. Brittle cheap plastics and I was dismayed with the wiring and soldering I discovered beneath. The other two have caused noise or poor audio. I'll never buy another IK hardware product, but your good review shows that anyone's mileage may vary. I certainly appreciate your helping me sort this out. Why did anyone think to get rid of the 3.55 mm audio jack?! Quarter inch I can understand. Things are thinner than that now, but a universal standard?

It really is a shame ur22 is not two midi out two in. As I sell off all the hardware in favour of ios I have the need for two keyboards in without a lot of midi muxing hardware and complicated on the fly knob twirling but it can work.

If anyone has anything bad to say about the steinberg ur22 (or wants to buy an only slightly used iconnectivity 2+) please do say!

• @Pavel said:

@ToMess said:

Thanks, ToMess and thanks @Janosax for the help. It look like steinberg ur22 is the ticket. I look through the specs and think that I will be able to go from the USB port on the back to the CCK3 and rout midi and audio in and out via that port, and audio out to the mixer via the two balanced outputs. Charging of the IPAD if it doesn't work on the USB line when the steinberg is plugged in can be via the CCK3 lightning port. Have I got that right?

Sax, I'm glad you get good value out of the irig. I have had three IK products and I find them high cost and low quality. My first irig plastic shell snapped pulling it from the guitar. Brittle cheap plastics and I was dismayed with the wiring and soldering I discovered beneath. The other two have caused noise or poor audio. I'll never buy another IK hardware product, but your good review shows that anyone's mileage may vary. I certainly appreciate your helping me sort this out. Why did anyone think to get rid of the 3.55 mm audio jack?! Quarter inch I can understand. Things are thinner than that now, but a universal standard?

It really is a shame ur22 is not two midi out two in. As I sell off all the hardware in favour of ios I have the need for two keyboards in without a lot of midi muxing hardware and complicated on the fly knob twirling but it can work.

If anyone has anything bad to say about the steinberg ur22 (or wants to buy an only slightly used iconnectivity 2+) please do say!

That smaller usb port on ur22 is only for powering the thing when connected to ios devices(which cant supply enough power) directly. Roland interfaces can sldo be powered from external sources. With focusrites 6i6 is the cheapest that has external power source connectivity. Meaning that with 2i2 or 2i4 for example, you need to use a powered usb hub to supply enough power for it. But then again you could connect usb-midi dongles to the hub. Just keep in mind that many dongles means less stability and some cheaper ones might not even function properly with two, or even one.. But you could also connect synths that use usb midi to the hub.

Focusrite 6i6 mki can be a really good buy if you find one used. I got one for 100€ only and have replaced my ur22 with it. Or well i still rarely use ur22 with my iphone and easy recording of mpc output(which includes ipads output to mpc in my setup).

With 6i6 one downside is that there is no knob or even a button to switch from direct monitoring to daw mix monitor, to change that you need to hook it on your computer and change via software. Ur22 has a blend knob between them. That was a huge thing in my previous setup, so something to keep in mind. Ur22 doesent have as high output from headphone out than 6i6, which can be a problem with some headphones that need a lot of driving(but can still be driven with 6i6 without external headphone amp). Ur22 can be powered with pretty much any usb phone charger, 6i6 has its own power supply. This means that you can use one of those external battery packs for phones to power ur22, making it portable. Both have good preamps and similar latencies, except 6i6 can be pushed maybe to a bit lower latencies with low buffer sizes and high sample rates, but im not sure if even ipad pros have enough horsepower to even run settings that would make a difference. Talking about settings that make mid2014 mbp struggle when the sessions gets bit bigger from a small on ableton.

• edited December 2017

@ToMess Iconnectivity was my buy for the dual midi. I am not convinced by the focusrite, but I just remembered the Roland Duo has been on my wishlist for some time and before swapping the iconnect for the ur22 I see the new roland rubix 2/4. Any thoughts on rolands vs steinberg ?

• Lots of talk here about Streinberg UR22 - make sure you get mk 2 if you go with this which is iOS compatible. Also it does work with a powered hub so you can plug in more than one USB keyboard.

• Yamaha md bt01 is always an option if you need an extra midi in/out if you are ok with Bluetooth midi