Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Zeeon Synth by Beepstreet out on August 30th. Get these pennies ready!

Comments

• edited December 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • A> @oat_phipps said:

@gusgranite said:

@oat_phipps said:
    With the mod matrix being what it is, it would seem that a randomizer for this synth would be a bitch to program and keep tame. I understand the appeal of a sometimes-magical random button, but I see Zeeon as a very inviting ‘learn to do it yourself’ synth.

But I don't want tame :wink:

Haha understood, but if the parameters were’t tamed quite a bit, I think you’d always end up with pure chaos (and rarely in a good way). You can achieve untame just by fiddling knobs even if you don’t know what you’re doing.

Totaly! I also find just spending a couple minutes on pretty much any given preset I can nudge it into really new territory that goes well beyond my ability but sounds quite different to the source.

• Is the current £9.99 a sale price, or regular?

• @Zen210507 said:
    Is the current £9.99 a sale price, or regular?

Regular, but it will be higher when I add new features :)

• @giku_beepstreet said:

@Zen210507 said:

Okay, thanks for the fast response. Like most folk here I really don’t need another synth, but am off to buy Zeeon anyway, as what you are doing looks and sounds like a superior app that I will use in preference.

• for some reason I'm having a hard time programming Zeeon. It always ends up being fairly basic sounds that i turn a lot of fx on. What are some spicy parameters to modulate? I'm really not sure what my problem is, I've made tons and tons of patches for other synths

• @giku_beepstreet said:

@Zen210507 said:

Greedy bastard.

;)

• @db909 said:
    for some reason I'm having a hard time programming Zeeon. It always ends up being fairly basic sounds that i turn a lot of fx on. What are some spicy parameters to modulate? I'm really not sure what my problem is, I've made tons and tons of patches for other synths

Disassemble and analyse presets you like.

• @giku_beepstreet Are there any plans to add more waveforms for the SUB-Oscillator?(Tri & Sine in addition to the Square?).

• edited December 2017

@db909 said:
    for some reason I'm having a hard time programming Zeeon. It always ends up being fairly basic sounds that i turn a lot of fx on. What are some spicy parameters to modulate? I'm really not sure what my problem is, I've made tons and tons of patches for other synths

It depends of course of the sounds your after. Every synths has pro and contra and some synths (i count Zeeon here too) have a strong character which is great but also can get in the way sometimes.
    Of course most of the magic inside Zeeon happens in the mod-matrix. But the FX can have a huge impact too (because of that i really love FX which i can modulate as part of the sound).
    I love to use FX but i try to don´t use them at the beginning when i start to create a patch from scratch.
    Zeeon is a very versatile synths and i think it´s good at nearly everything you could synthesize.
    For strings and brass f.e. i would prefer other synths like DRC or Model 15. For soundscapes something like Mitosynth.
    In general Zeeon is still my favorite iOS synth (together with DRC which i began to love really).
    It also could be that the synths workflow is not your thing.
    What i miss f.e. are direct assign of parameters like velocity for the envelopes in form of a slider or button instead of having to use 1-2 mod-matrix for that. I think 8 (per layer) are plenty but you can indeed run quite fast out of the slots if you want to assign several things to velocity and modwheel. Then there could be things like aftertouch, expression etc.
    But limitations also can help to stay more focused and too much option could end in just weird noisy sounds (i´m good at getting out of control here :) ).

• Zeeon is the IOS king of Synths IMHO.

• @db909 said:

Here are some tactics that I will sometimes try if I get stuck or just want to find something new.

Load the init and setup the mod matrix like this

Specifically: using the same source in every slot. From there start populating from the available destinations and then listen to its influence. Might be destructive, might be remarkable. But the main idea is to make a mess. From that mess a starting point is often born.

Experiment with using OSC 1, 2, SUB as mod sources. Then experiment with the tuning and wave shapes of those Oscillator(s). And of course modulate the tuning and wave shape for a variety of timbres. The rate of Audio can bring out a brilliant sound in Zeeon. FM timbres.

Use Layer 1 as a mod source for various parameters on the second layer.

Copy layer 1 to layer 2, then spread the panning far left and far right between the two. Begin making very subtle tweaks between the two layers and a wide space is filled. Try mixing in some panning modulation as well.

Journey through the factory / expansion sounds and use the FX On/Off switch to uncover how the effects can be used in many different ways to shape the sound. For instance, the reverb doesn’t always have to be a Reverb. It can be used as a parallel EQ of sorts to remove some low frequency content. Or use it to cut out some of the high frequencies if / when needed. Set all dials to 0. Bring up the mix to taste while using the low cut, high cut and high damp to shape the sound.

When you’re stuck, just try to make a horrible mess of things. Do things the opposite way you normally would. Modulate the hell out of everything. Run an LFO into the Amp and crank up its speed. Mix and match the drive types.
    Use velocity for weird things. Turn every knob of the chorus effect to max.

You get where I am going…

I could possibly keep typing until next week as Zeeon is an incredibly deep synth IMO. There is a LOT of power in the mod matrix, a whole lot. And the amount of possible routings is near limitless. Each one producing something different.

Hope that helps in some way.

• Amazing! Best single synthesis class ever!
    Thanks bro!

@brice said:

@db909 said:

Here are some tactics that I will sometimes try if I get stuck or just want to find something new.

Specifically: using the same source in every slot. From there start populating from the available destinations and then listen to its influence. Might be destructive, might be remarkable. But the main idea is to make a mess. From that mess a starting point is often born.

Experiment with using OSC 1, 2, SUB as mod sources. Then experiment with the tuning and wave shapes of those Oscillator(s). And of course modulate the tuning and wave shape for a variety of timbres. The rate of Audio can bring out a brilliant sound in Zeeon. FM timbres.

Copy layer 1 to layer 2, then spread the panning far left and far right between the two. Begin making very subtle tweaks between the two layers and a wide space is filled. Try mixing in some panning modulation as well.

Journey through the factory / expansion sounds and use the FX On/Off switch to uncover how the effects can be used in many different ways to shape the sound. For instance, the reverb doesn’t always have to be a Reverb. It can be used as a parallel EQ of sorts to remove some low frequency content. Or use it to cut out some of the high frequencies if / when needed. Set all dials to 0. Bring up the mix to taste while using the low cut, high cut and high damp to shape the sound.

When you’re stuck, just try to make a horrible mess of things. Do things the opposite way you normally would. Modulate the hell out of everything. Run an LFO into the Amp and crank up its speed. Mix and match the drive types.

I could possibly keep typing until next week as Zeeon is an incredibly deep synth IMO. There is a LOT of power in the mod matrix, a whole lot. And the amount of possible routings is near limitless. Each one producing something different.

• @brice said:

@db909 said:

I'm putting all this in the special book.

• Woah... thanks @brice

• edited December 2017

I really love this synth and its midi learn feature.however i hope Interpolation of midi cc parameters will be added in future. When i change the cutoff frequency vie my midi controller i clearly hear the steps, especially when resonance is set very high.
    When changing the cutoff frequency via the t OK touch screen there is interpolation and i don't hear steps like with my midi controller.

• ^Perhaps you’re right, but perhaps what you see is the limited resolution of midi cc (128 steps) vs the much better resolution of AU parameters? I’m kind of hoping so!

• @Jokerpack said:
    I really love this synth and its midi learn feature.however i hope Interpolation of midi cc parameters will be added in future. When i change the cutoff frequency vie my midi controller i clearly hear the steps, especially when resonance is set very high.
    When changing the cutoff frequency via the t OK touch screen there is interpolation and i don't hear steps like with my midi controller.

Midi CC is smoothed out, but I gonna take a look at this again.

• edited December 2017

I like using 2nd layer as advanced distortion unit. Layer 2 oscillators are disabled, it gets only audio output from layer 1. Then play with filter, drive and layers mix. Its like a dynamic band distortion.

Modulate Mixer by oscillators. Variety of possibilities from waveshapers to AM/RM madness.

Use "self audio input" source on Amp and Filter cutoff. Its like self modulation.

Play with Osc retrig phase and Const PW. With const pw you can generate a constant width peak (like yamaha CS-80 saw).

Use noise (I like hiss) and high frequency LFO to add some warble and analog artifacts. This works great on frequency, amp and const PW.

All of these standard techniques: FM, linear FM, filter FM.

Layer 1: high resonance squelching, make the layer inaudible and use as a modulation source in Layer 2 and ... go to hell!

• edited December 2017

Or just use no OSC at all....i like to make sounds with just the self resonating filter (which is a sine wave then) and tune it via key tracking the filter cutoff frequency. While we are there i really would love to see not only half or full key tracking. I would like to have a knob which goes from zero to 100 as well. Sometimes half is too less and full is too much.
    Oh and yeah, i also miss still a real fine tuning. I mean the update made it a lot better but i mean i would like to have a kind of gesture or switch where i could set values between the full numbers like going from 20 to 20.67 or so.
    Especially at high resonance and some other wild modulation even the slightest step up or down is too much.
    I know, i want just too much.
    But still it is the best iOS synth so far (with DRC and Model 15).

• As about filter tracking. Use keyboard -> filter cutoff modulation in the matrix. You can get even negative values.

Real fine tuning is difficult, because the filter is nonlinear, so resonance frequency depends on signal level.

• @giku_beepstreet said:
    As about filter tracking. Use keyboard -> filter cutoff modulation in the matrix. You can get even negative values.

Real fine tuning is difficult, because the filter is nonlinear, so resonance frequency depends on signal level.

I know but these are things (like velocity and maybe modwheel) which are a lot faster to set-up without the mod-matrix and wouldn´t take away already some slots i might use for the more unconventional things.
    But, i remember that Dagger does smooth keytracking between values. Doesn´t it use also non-linear filters?

• edited December 2017

@Cib said:
    Oh and yeah, i also miss still a real fine tuning. I mean the update made it a lot better but i mean i would like to have a kind of gesture or switch where i could set values between the full numbers like going from 20 to 20.67 or so.

You see integer number on display, but knob operation is smooth. Would you like to see more precise data, like 10.1 ? What I meant is I can't display precise tuning frequency of the filter (Dagger doesn't show it as well). hmmm Should I make Dagger for iOS? ;)

• @giku_beepstreet said:

@Cib said:

You see integer number on display, but knob operation is smooth. Would you like to see more precise data, like 10.1 ? What I meant is I can't display precise tuning frequency of the filter (Dagger doesn't show it as well). hmmm Should I make Dagger for iOS? ;)

Dagger for iOS? Of course i would say yeah. Not sure how the iOS crowd like a mono synth but i love mono synths with easy and fast performance controls on a one page GUI like Dagger. I also play with both a lot and while Dagger sadly can´t do really slow attacks it is superb as bass and analog drum machine as well as for some extreme filter modulations. I know Zeeon might do this too and is more versatile in terms of different timbres but Dagger ´s filter are better and since you don´t have to watch out for chords getting out of peak it´s much better if you need a solo voice as Zeeon. You really have named it right. Dagger cuts trough every mix if you want :)
    The wavefolder would be tasty there since it mostly don´t fit for polyphony for me (or it have to be per voice).
    Of course i can play Dagger polyphonic as well with a voice per channel but mostly it´s too powerful for that :D
    That would work on iOS too with AUv3 of course.
    I made a Logic Seaboard template for a polyphonic Dagger and i was blown away >:)
    I mean i like Dagger as much as Zeeon and having both on iOS would be great......but if that hold you back from a possible Zeeon for mac.....forget what i say ;) (i give you my word that if that happen i will try hard to make at least 500 patches in the next year for it then). I know the desktop platform isn´t your world maybe but i´m going to leave iOS maybe if my phone won´t work anymore.....which i hope is still a good while.
    I mean whatever you release it will be good.
    I like to layer the 3 dark lords, Dagger, Zeeon and Sunrizer.

• @giku_beepstreet said:

@Jokerpack said:

Midi CC is smoothed out, but I gonna take a look at this again.

thank you. There is definitely no cc smooting on the cutoff frequency.i can record a clip if needed

• edited December 2017

Just checked this. They are smoothed, but seems some midi controllers send CC messages too rarely :). It needs different settings for UI and MIDI. Ok.. to be fixed

• Thank you @brice and @giku_beepstreet - some inspiring tips there (I’m yet to go beyond one layer). We’re very lucky to have you both :)

• @giku_beepstreet said:
    Just checked this. They are smoothed, but seems some midi controllers send CC messages too rarely :). It needs different settings for UI and MIDI. Ok.. to be fixed

My only issue with this amazing synth is the aspect on the knobs on the far left and right of the gui. I find the knobs on the iPhone version much easier to line up with the markers. I know this sounds petty (you have to be with an app that’s otherwise perfect), but could this be reviewed for the next update?

• @tomato_juice said:
    Thank you @brice and @giku_beepstreet - some inspiring tips there (I’m yet to go beyond one layer). We’re very lucky to have you both :)

You’re welcome! Layer 2 is a noteworthy step. PARTICULARLY when you are modulating the fire out of it via Layer 1.

Good stuff! That slow dive on #4 is real nice. And the scope animation on #5 reminds me a lot of my previous relationship.