Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Comments

• Rats, already got it.

• Introductory price was 19.99 I think so this is the lowest price yet

• From my experience with it Affinity, It feels like the panels are too hidden and half the time I have to interrupt the creation process to go menu diving. Pixelmator pro feels a lot more intuitive and from what I've heard their pro version is coming out next on iPad.

• @Sbee said:
    Introductory price was 19.99 I think so this is the lowest price yet

Yeah....I'm struggling to resist this, particularly as I have the Mac and PC desktop versions.

• That is an amazing price for a ridiculously good app.

• Tempting as I have a 12.9 pro now...although I still always prefer working on desktop screens for visuals. Maybe this will win me over a bit.

• This is a steal. Another one of the best apps I’ve grabbed this year

• @Carnbot said:
    Tempting as I have a 12.9 pro now...although I still always prefer working on desktop screens for visuals. Maybe this will win me over a bit.

I would get it if you've got the extra scratch. It's still a bit rough in the bug department, but they've squashed most of the worst ones from after launch. I paid the $20 "launch sale" that was supposed to be 50% off the "regular price", but I think they quietly just made $20 the regular price. It's definitely worth $20 and a great bargain for this flash sale of $10.

For quick photo edits, I still mostly go for Snapseed, because it's just so easy to use. Affinity is absolutely the closest thing to Photoshop on iOS. And, for many things... in my opinion it's even better than Photoshop. I've been migrating away from Photoshop over the last year. I've got Affinity Photo and Designer for the desktop as well. But for a lot of stuff... I kind of prefer this iOS version over the desktop version. There's a fair amount of the desktop Affinity features included in the iOS version. It's stitching of images in panos, etc. is incredibly good. And, it even edits 360VR images. I'd definitely jump on this if I didn't already have it. :)

• @skiphunt said:

@Carnbot said:
    Tempting as I have a 12.9 pro now...although I still always prefer working on desktop screens for visuals. Maybe this will win me over a bit.

I would get it if you've got the extra scratch. It's still a bit rough in the bug department, but they've squashed most of the worst ones from after launch. I paid the $20 "launch sale" that was supposed to be 50% off the "regular price", but I think they quietly just made $20 the regular price. It's definitely worth $20 and a great bargain for this flash sale of $10.

For quick photo edits, I still mostly go for Snapseed, because it's just so easy to use. Affinity is absolutely the closest thing to Photoshop on iOS. And, for many things... in my opinion it's even better than Photoshop. I've been migrating away from Photoshop over the last year. I've got Affinity Photo and Designer for the desktop as well. But for a lot of stuff... I kind of prefer this iOS version over the desktop version. There's a fair amount of the desktop Affinity features included in the iOS version. It's stitching of images in panos, etc. is incredibly good. And, it even edits 360VR images. I'd definitely jump on this if I didn't already have it. :)

Thanks, yes think I will get it. Can you open projects from iOS in the desktop version? if yes that's definitely an advantage in getting both.

• @Carnbot said:

@skiphunt said:

@Carnbot said:

Thanks, yes think I will get it. Can you open projects from iOS in the desktop version? if yes that's definitely an advantage in getting both.

I believe so, but let me confirm first. I'm about to head out for a long weekend, but I'll see if it works before I get movin'. The desktop versions seem to go on sale a couple times a year. Doesn't appear to be on sale now and I don't recall when the last one was.

Affinity Photo for iOS also exports CMYK files which is nice.

Word of warning though... if you want to save your edits, you're going to have to get used to off-loading them to external storage or your desktop. They can get HUGE for some reason and will quickly start eating up your iOS storage.

• It sounds like you guys know what you're doing with these photo apps, but how would this be for a beginner hack like myself? Is it overkill, too complicated? I just like to mess with photos, filters, textures, effects, etc. I used to be happy with PicsPlay Pro, but the version I paid for was 32-bit, so I need a replacement.

• How does this work on an Air 2?

• @skiphunt said:

@Carnbot said:

@skiphunt said:

@Carnbot said:

I believe so, but let me confirm first. I'm about to head out for a long weekend, but I'll see if it works before I get movin'. The desktop versions seem to go on sale a couple times a year. Doesn't appear to be on sale now and I don't recall when the last one was.

Word of warning though... if you want to save your edits, you're going to have to get used to off-loading them to external storage or your desktop. They can get HUGE for some reason and will quickly start eating up your iOS storage.

That's cool, I'll probably hold off on getting the desktop version for now anyway, at least until there's a sale on that one too :)

• @Shaken&;Stirred said:
    It sounds like you guys know what you're doing with these photo apps, but how would this be for a beginner hack like myself? Is it overkill, too complicated? I just like to mess with photos, filters, textures, effects, etc. I used to be happy with PicsPlay Pro, but the version I paid for was 32-bit, so I need a replacement.

For a beginner it will seem cryptic and intimidating. But fear not, they have some of the best tutorial videos out there for just about every feature. They're all relatively short too. Check out their vimeo channel. Watch a couple and see what you think. After watching all of them, I think you'd be ready for professional level image editing, but it depends on you of course. If you want a quicky, filter application for rapid social media sharing, this isn't the one. If you're interested in professional level image editing... this one will fit the bill easily.

https://vimeo.com/affinitybyserif

• How does it compare to Enlight or Pixelmator?

• edited December 2017

@Carnbot said:

@skiphunt said:

@Carnbot said:

@skiphunt said:

@Carnbot said:

That's cool, I'll probably hold off on getting the desktop version for now anyway, at least until there's a sale on that one too :)

I gotta go now... but I did a quick test. It doesn't appear to auto-sync your edits between desktop and iOS (unless I'm missing something)... but here's what I did that worked. Opened an image in Affinity on my desktop, added a layer, added an effect to the layer, then exported/saved to iCloud Drive. I then opened that file in Affinity Photo for iOS and the layers were there. I edited the top layer with an effect, saved, and saved a copy back to iCloud Drive, then opened that file on the desktop version of Affinity. My iOS edits were there. So, yes... roundtrip between the two works. I also did the same scenario using the Photoshop .PSD format instead of the .afphoto format, and it worked the same.

• @skiphunt said:

@Carnbot said:

@skiphunt said:

@Carnbot said:

@skiphunt said:

@Carnbot said:

I gotta go now... but I did a quick test. It doesn't appear to auto-sync your edits... but here's what I did. Opened an image in Affinity on my desktop, added a layer, added an effect to the layer, then exported/saved to iCloud Drive. I then opened that file in Affinity Photo for iOS and the layers were there. I edited the top layer with an effect, saved, and saved a copy back to iCloud Drive, then opened that file on the desktop version of Affinity. My iOS edits were there. So, yes... roundtrip between the two works. I also did the same scenario using the Photoshop .PSD format instead of the .afphoto format, and it worked the same.

That's great thanks, really useful it opens PSDs and can save them too :)

• @Keenan said:
    How does it compare to Enlight or Pixelmator?

More pro Photoshop type features.

Pixelmator doesn’t work on my Mac, due to an acknowledged graphics card incompatibility, but I use Affinity Photo on the desktop every day.

• Man that's annoying thought launch price was lowest and got it. Hope this gets more people on board and they improve further. It's awesome but agree some things hard to find despite giant 12.9 inch screen.
    They need bigger buttons and more options up front

• @Gustos said:
    Man that's annoying thought launch price was lowest and got it. Hope this gets more people on board and they improve further. It's awesome but agree some things hard to find despite giant 12.9 inch screen.

Yeah, it stung a little for me too... but these are top-notch developers who are staying on their game. Their product is allowing me to move on from Photoshop and Illustrator, and they've given me Pro-Level photo editing on a mobile device. So, I don't mind at all and happy to support them. I hope they sell a gazillion units of Affinity Photo, and keep up the great work. Also looking forward to their rumored layout program so I can replace inDesign too. ;)

• Looking forward to Designer on iPad (although Graphic and Vectornator aren’t bad)

• @Keenan said:
    How does it compare to Enlight or Pixelmator?

Pixelmator is nice simple but plenty of features. Ta heck with Enlight :(

If you want compositing and editing as well as layers, gradients, and other features check out Leonardo (iPhone as well)

• @skiphunt said:

@Gustos said:
    Man that's annoying thought launch price was lowest and got it. Hope this gets more people on board and they improve further. It's awesome but agree some things hard to find despite giant 12.9 inch screen.

Yeah, it stung a little for me too... but these are top-notch developers who are staying on their game. Their product is allowing me to move on from Photoshop and Illustrator, and they've given me Pro-Level photo editing on a mobile device. So, I don't mind at all and happy to support them. I hope they sell a gazillion units of Affinity Photo, and keep up the great work. Also looking forward to their rumored layout program so I can replace inDesign too. ;)

I noticed a Skiphunt posted a reply to my query about Air 2 performance on their forum, and the reply was:

"Hey, I'm not having a trouble-free experience on an Air 2. It'll be fine for several edits, then freeze up or crash. Doesn't seem to save where you were at when it freezes or crashes. Also having an issue that it doesn't return storage space claimed after deleting a project.

That being said, after the kinks are worked out, it's fairly impressive. Looks like about 85% of the desktop features made it into the iPad app. And, they're the most useful features too.

I wouldn't use it on a paying gig right now on an Air 2, or if you're in a hurry. But fingers crossed Serif tightens this up enough for solid Air 2 use. At present, not quite there I'm afraid."

Was that you, and if so is this still the case? Difficult to resist this one at a tenner, but no point in getting it if it's slow or crashing all the time.

• edited December 2017

@MonzoPro said:
    How does this work on an Air 2?

I can't say for sure since my Air 2 was commandeered by my wife after I got the Pro. But, I what can say... is that the initial bugs and crashes they had at launch, and even after a couple updates, were not alleviated once I upgraded to Pro. So, it doesn't appear the very first issues were hardware power related as I'd suspected. My guess is that they were developing for the upcoming iOS11 update and didn't worry so much about instability on iOS10, but that's just a wild guess. I do know it got better with iOS11.

It's not 100% perfect yet, but it's very close. I don't get crashes much at all now. I recall just after getting the Pro and trying out Affinity Photo, the Air2 was working acceptably, but the Pro was obviously faster. There have been a couple updates or so since then, so I'd guess it's likely a safe bet it'd work fine. I just can't absolutely confirm that.

Hope that helps. If you use the desktop version and like it, I would absolutely say yes to getting this at $10

edit: yes, that was me... but that was around the first update after launch. It got significantly more stable with subsequent updates. Again, not perfect and I don't have it on an Air2 to confirm that for you, but it's pretty solid on the Pro. I'd bet it's perfectly fine on the Air2 as well, but I don't think I'd work on a giant RAW file with a dozen layers or so.

• @skiphunt said:

@MonzoPro said:
    How does this work on an Air 2?

I can't say for sure since my Air 2 was commandeered by my wife after I got the Pro. But, I can say... is that the initial bugs and crashes they had at launch, and even after a couple updates, were not alleviated once I upgraded to Pro. So, it doesn't appear the very first issues were hardware power related as I'd suspected.

It's not 100% perfect yet, but it's very close. I don't get crashes much at all now. I recall just after getting the Pro and trying out Affinity Photo, the Air2 was working acceptably, but the Pro was obviously faster. There have been a couple updates or so since then, so I'd guess it's likely a safe bet it'd work fine. I just can't absolutely confirm that.

Hope that helps. If you use the desktop version and like it, I would absolutely say yes to getting this at $10

I'm pretty used to the desktop versions now. I don't love them as much as Photoshop but for a tenth of the price I'm willing to put up with it. I've got Mac and PC Designer as well, and eagerly waiting the DTP one.

I've no qualms about the features of Photo, and watching the iPad version vid I can see it's all in there. Being able to swap projects between the iPad and desktop will be cool too. It's really just a performance thing...guess I'll just have to jump in and see, but reading reviews it sounds like it's much more stable now.

• God I really wish I knew how to work these things so that I could take advantage of this. :/

• @DCJ said:
    God I really wish I knew how to work these things so that I could take advantage of this. :/

The best way to learn is by playing around with all the tools in photo editing software.

I’d recommend Snapseed to start, it’s free and honestly one of the easiest and most useful photo editing apps.

• @Keenan said:

@DCJ said:
    God I really wish I knew how to work these things so that I could take advantage of this. :/

The best way to learn is by playing around with all the tools in photo editing software.

I’d recommend Snapseed to start, it’s free and honestly one of the easiest and most useful photo editing apps.

Actually downloaded it after seeing @skiphunt mention it. Maybe it’ll give me the push I need to learn.

• Nice! Just got a new camera and almost bought this the other day for 20.