Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

what Ipads are you guys running?

I’m on an original ipad air. I have at least 4gb of space left on my 32gb. But when I run a lot of apps, or specific app like Drumperfect or Beatmaker 3 the audio gets pretty crunchy and crackly, you can tell it’s really working hard to process stuff
I’m looking to get a new one for christmas. but not sure where to go, the pro ipads are nice, but it it really worth the extra price tag? Or would an air 2 do the job just fine?

Comments

• I’m on an Air2. I’m increasingly finding that it struggles more and more with multiple app use. I am also finding that I have to spend more time finding iOS settings to switch off. I don’t see my Air2 being able to be updated for that many more iOS iterations. For that reason, I would not recommend it as a replacement, unless:

1. You use multiple iPads.
    2. You don’t need it to be compatible for the future iOS / app iterations.

Just my opinion as I feel I need to upgrade sooner rather than later.

• I run a 9.7 Pro and love it.

I’d guess if you could pick one up now on the cheap somehow you’d be hitting the sweet spot on cost and longevity.

Much like buying a car where someone else has worn the depreciation.

• mini 2 (32 GB) and iPad 2017 (non Pro, 128 GB) here and quite happy with it

• I went from the Air1 to the new 10.5 Pro. Now that the audio issues are mostly fixed, I am very pleased. I can now run app combinations that I could only dream of before.
    I don’t have an Air2 to compare with.
    Apple has that new iPad 9.7”. I wonder how those compare to the Pro for audio performance?

• I have the 9.7 Pro but I got it before the 2017 pro models were announced. I’d grab the 10.5 version today if I could

• edited December 2017

I have an iPad Mini 1st generation, 16Gb memory, only 5Gb left. It crackles when I push it too hard and I can't update it further than 9.3.5 (so no AU nor free DX7 app, sniff!) but it forces me to keep things simple and focus more on making music than accumulating apps or spending too much time connecting them together (which I know I'd otherwise spend all my time doing if I had a more advanced device). So I'm pretty happy with it. It's an amazing device all things considered.

I reckon if I do upgrade it I'll get a second-hand Mini 4 but keep it on iOS10. iOS11 seems too buggy.

• 1st gen Air here.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @cabo said:
    mini 2 (32 GB) and iPad 2017 (non Pro, 128 GB) here and quite happy with it

Yah, going from an Air1to the non pro iPad5 128 gig was such an awesome boost and great deal to me. I played with the Pro pads a bit and the extra price simply did not feel right for me. I know I will eventually go all in on an amazing ipad one day but the OS is still clunky and goofy with standards like ‘Files’ and AU just starting to evolve while others like IAA are dying or fragmenting the landscape... it’s just not the environment for me to go in whole hog at this point. The future is bright but it’s still the dawn to me.

All this audio glitching stuff too I have heard too makes me think the dust needs to settle on this pointless display spec fetish that Apple is pushing. If you are cool with used maybe the 9.7 Pro is a good play...

• Air2 64gb. might be my last IOS device though :/
    will miss you guys if i abandon it completely.

• 12.9 iPad Pro first edition 128gb and I’m always low on space

• edited December 2017

@Ribbon said:
    ...keep things simple and focus more on making music than accumulating apps or spending too much time connecting them together (which I know I'd otherwise spend all my time doing if I had a more advanced device).

There’s truth in them words. Like “mo money = mo problems”, mo power = mo problems. With my Pro I have the power to set up the iOS ultimate mega studio I have been dreaming about, so I’ve spent the last how many ever months since I’ve had this thing, in setup mode, and not actually making music. Just trying to get all these apps working together—trying to herd all these cats into one box. Then there’s app GAS—something new and better and cheap always there to distract you. The one piece of music I’ve actually completed so far on this Pro was done in GarageBand, which I could have done on my Air1.
    BTW, iOS 11 good now.

• edited December 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited December 2017

I started on an iPad 2 16GB for most of 2016. It was my gateway to iOS music. It struggled with too many apps at once, as well as struggling with or being incapable of running some of the newer apps. Back then I mostly used it as a touchscreen Midi controller (SP Pro and Orphion) for my desktop using Studiomux. I also used Figure and Garage Band and some of the lighter apps. Then I couldn't update to iOS 10 so I figured I would have to invest in a newer iPad. Just over a year ago I got my iPad Air 2 128GB. I bought this hoping it would work for me for at least a few years before I was cut off from the newest stuff. It is still working great for me, but I can already see the signs that it is struggling with some of the newer apps (mainly Model-15). I still don't mind that it struggles a little, since my experience with the obsolete iPad 2 was much more troubling.

I would recommend getting the best iPad you can reasonably afford. Make sure it is not a problematic model, and it should be good for at least a few years. I am still going to try and do stuff with my Air 2 for as long as I can. I don't want to upgrade yet, but if I was buying this year I might go for the next newer model if I could afford it ($300 range for me).

What I really hope is that between now and the time I have to upgrade my iPad, there will be viable alternatives to iOS for mobile music. I wish some geniuses would design an tablet device just for music, with the connection ports we need, a real file system, the ability to use expandable storage, and none of the extra bloat Apple keeps wedging into the iOS updates that are not useful to musicians and just take up storage space and waste resources.

• yep, after reading your comments, maybe i need to look into something
    bigger than the air 2. interesting

• I am running two iPad Air 2's. I can't imagine needing to update anytime soon. I only create audio clips using one or two synths/ drum machines at a time with some effects to drop into Launchpad for jamming with through more effects in Audiobus- before finalising in Cubasis2. One Launchpad holds the drummy bits and the other has the synthy bits - and they both have voicy bits.

• @robosardine drummy bits + synthy bits + voicy bits = 3 bits. You have made a new genre! :)

• @eross It really depends on how you like to work. If you are doing a lot of audio file stuff, lower power is probably going to cut it. But if you like to do live stuff with lots of apps and no audio glitches, you should probably get the best you can afford. If you plan on keeping the iPad you have now, using it along with the new one you get will be the most powerful setup.

• Air 2, still happy for now - it's lasted really well compared to other tech purchases. Might upgrade in the next generation though.

• iPad Pro 12.9" 256GB. I upgraded in the spring from an iPad Air 2 with 16GB, so it was a MASSIVE upgrade. I love the pro and the extra screen real estate is priceless.

• Air 2 64gb. Does most things absolutely fine, but struggles with Model 15 x 3 AU's and having too many apps running at once. Does the job though, and I hope to get another year out of it before handing it over to Monzo Jnr.

• @robosardine said:
    I am running two iPad Air 2's. I can't imagine needing to update anytime soon. I only create audio clips using one or two synths/ drum machines at a time with some effects to drop into Launchpad for jamming with through more effects in Audiobus- before finalising in Cubasis2. One Launchpad holds the drummy bits and the other has the synthy bits - and they both have voicy bits.

perfect,that’s kind of how i work with some drummy synthy, and voicy bits. thanks

• edited December 2017

iPad 3 16g iOS 7.1.2
    mini 2 32g iOS 10.3.3
    Air 2 128g iOS 11.1.2

• @eross said:

@robosardine said:
    I am running two iPad Air 2's. I can't imagine needing to update anytime soon. I only create audio clips using one or two synths/ drum machines at a time with some effects to drop into Launchpad for jamming with through more effects in Audiobus- before finalising in Cubasis2. One Launchpad holds the drummy bits and the other has the synthy bits - and they both have voicy bits.

perfect,that’s kind of how i work with some drummy synthy, and voicy bits. thanks

Yes- I think it’s only if you are running several channels in AUM with midi going all sorts of places via sequencers attached to the likes of Moog Model15 whilst running inter app Audio Units and all running in Tandem with Gadget via one of several links to other Grooveboxes all playing live - that you would be concerned.

I don’t even know how much of the above is likely or accurate- most of that stuff gives me a headache. I like to keep the process simple and come up with the goodies by having a good old session on an app with effects a plenty where anything goes- then pick the bones out via Blocs Wave- like a fox at the bins round the back of the building- then do it all again until I feel like my aquired audio clips are sufficient in order to experiment with to find out what will go together- usually with Launchpad. The beauty of this is that you have your previous piles to introduce as well should you feel the need.
    If this is your sort of thing- Air2 will keep you going forever :)

• Pro 9.7” (2016) and sometimes my old Air 1.

• Currently using the new iPad running Garageband & blocs wave exclusively...

Using an Android device cured me from App addiction, just need to install cubasis then I'm good for the next 3 years or so..

P. S. Can't wait for Nanostudio 2, hope I won't have any troubles running it.

• edited December 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited December 2017

Mini 4 here. It cant handle as much as i would like (stacking tons of delay and reverb AUs on everything) but it works great for making lil loops and stashing them for use elsewhere. (Octatrack) I will upgrade eventually, still holding out for the miracle of a Mini Pro with 4gb of ram and modern multicore processor!

• 256gb iPad Pro 10.5. My desktop recently went on the fritz so I’m glad I bought it. I’m digging all the music apps as well. Cubasis plus AUs are a delight to mess around with. Not to mention the too many synth apps I have.