Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

The Dark Side

I have returned to the dark side by reinvesting in some limited hardware. So far volca keys and volca sample and Novation Circuit. What I love about all these is their tactile qualities small size and battery capability. Now there's room for one more item in my gear stash.....

So - what should it be?

Final addition to gear stash
  1. What should be next?18 votes
    1. Volca FM
      11.11%
    2. Korg Monologue
      16.67%
    3. Roland Boutique SH01A
      22.22%
    4. Roland Boutique SE 2
      22.22%
    5. None of the above
      27.78%

Comments

• encenc
    edited December 2017

Hardware ... it's a slippery slope ...Sh01a is amazing.

• D05 first then SH01 lol

• edited December 2017

The sh-01 floats my boat. Welcome to the dark side.

• Lots of love for the sh01a here despite its virtual analogue status. Like the fact it also has a sequencer. But........ I've got virtual galore on the iPad with controller

• Everyone raves about the volca FM but I struggle with the FM sound. Maybe it needs to fit in a mix rather than be heard raw and solo

• make noise 0-coast. its pretty much replaced my volca bass, and it can sound like nothing else....

• @gonekrazy3000 said:
    make noise 0-coast. its pretty much replaced my volca bass, and it can sound like nothing else....

Funnily enough there's one for sale near me right now second hand. It seems a bit FM bell like in the demos I've seen and it's not battery powered but it does make me curious

• @gonekrazy3000 said:
    make noise 0-coast. its pretty much replaced my volca bass, and it can sound like nothing else....

+1 for this. Only tried it once, but would love one.

• O and anything by Dreadbox :)

• edited December 2017

@SheffieldBleep said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

Funnily enough there's one for sale near me right now second hand. It seems a bit FM bell like in the demos I've seen and it's not battery powered but it does make me curious

it has a pretty huge range of tones it can do. checkout the tutorials they posted:-

i'd suggest you watch the entire series. also check this specific video out:-

that sync bass is glorious. best part of the 0-coast is its a proper gateway into eurorack. you can just add modules to it if you ever decide to really fall into the dark side.....
    or these tracks made entirely of just the 0-coast:-

a very good overview of all the types of sounds it can make:-

its actually the video than convinced me to buy one lol.

mind you. it doesn't have a traditional filter. since its actually a hybrid west/east coast synth. but i'm having a blast playing with it :) best part is they just keep adding features via firmware updates. like giving it an extra gate and a tempo sequenced lfo.

• Remember, if you're going to go dawless, the sequencer part will come in very handy on the 01. Plus it has 4 note poly. I don't own one yet, but from the demos I've heard, it sounds lovely. Virtual analogue doesn't bother me when it sounds like that.

• i gotta admit though. i'm using a beatstep pro via CV along with the 0-coast. i can use 8 of the drum gates as cv outs to the 0-coast to do all sorts of modulation. including using them as clock dividers..... (just send pulses to the segments expecting a clock signal. you can do all sorts of crazy stuff that way.) so i dont really need a daw with the 0-coast. it helps quite a bit though :D specially with ableton since they've released a device that just sends the program change messages to change settings without needing to do all sorts of menu diving.

• The SH01a gets my vote, and I say that as a 0-Coast owner :)

• encenc
    edited December 2017

I'll admit the sh01 wasn't on my radar and was a bit of an impulse purchase but oh boy am I glad I did. It's do versatile and cuter than a basket of kittens.

• So the advice appears to narrow down to an o coast or an sh01a. Not what I was expecting! Time for some YouTube research

• Cheers dude so much audio candy to research here. £400 is no pocket change mind you for such an ickel bitty thing

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@SheffieldBleep said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

it has a pretty huge range of tones it can do. checkout the tutorials they posted:-

that sync bass is glorious. best part of the 0-coast is its a proper gateway into eurorack. you can just add modules to it if you ever decide to really fall into the dark side.....

mind you. it doesn't have a traditional filter. since its actually a hybrid west/east coast synth. but i'm having a blast playing with it :) best part is they just keep adding features via firmware updates. like giving it an extra gate and a tempo sequenced lfo.

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@SheffieldBleep said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

• @Tarekith said:
    The SH01a gets my vote, and I say that as a 0-Coast owner :)

Interested in why you say this as an o coast owner?

• @SheffieldBleep said:

@Tarekith said:
    The SH01a gets my vote, and I say that as a 0-Coast owner :)

Interested in why you say this as an o coast owner?

To be honest the main prob with the 0-coast is It doesn't have a sequencer. But since I own a beatstep pro it's a non issue for me. The Sh01a has a fantastic sequencer. If I didn't already own what I do would probably pick it up too :D

• While the 0-Coast is certainly fun to experiment with and I enjoy using it, to be honest I rarely do much with it beyond make a bunch of weird noises that I'd really never use for anything else. As a way of experimenting with sound and getting an introduction into West Coast style synthesis, it's ace. As a musical tool that makes it was into my songs, not so much. Here's a review I did of it that might give you a better overview of what it's good and not so good at:

The SH01a in comparison is maybe a bit more limited in what it can do, but it sounds freaking amazing has functionality that would lead me to reach for it when working on songs.

• That’s really helpful. Fun as the squiggly noise thing is (the volca keys gives me hours of burp noise fun) I do like to get some composition going too. And I love sequencers. So looking like the sh01a. Unless someone can make a case for the volca fm. Which amongst other people Aphex twin has raved about.....
    Anyone?

• @Tarekith said:
    While the 0-Coast is certainly fun to experiment with and I enjoy using it, to be honest I rarely do much with it beyond make a bunch of weird noises that I'd really never use for anything else. As a way of experimenting with sound and getting an introduction into West Coast style synthesis, it's ace. As a musical tool that makes it was into my songs, not so much. Here's a review I did of it that might give you a better overview of what it's good and not so good at:

The SH01a in comparison is maybe a bit more limited in what it can do, but it sounds freaking amazing has functionality that would lead me to reach for it when working on songs.

• I've got the Volca fm, but am not overly enamoured by it. Tweakability is a big thing for me and the FM is a bit weak in that department. Only 32 program slots and Programming sounds on the unit is a pain in the arse too. The pluses are that there are thousands of sounds available on the internet if you can find an easy way of getting them in there.

• edited December 2017

“No, no, no. Quicker, easier, more seductive.” - grandmaster Yoda about the dark side being more powerful.

• edited December 2017

Hardware, real instruments, desktop (Mac), are not the dark side. Android is the dark side.

• @LeeB said:
    I've got the Volca fm, but am not overly enamoured by it. Tweakability is a big thing for me and the FM is a bit weak in that department. Only 32 program slots and Programming sounds on the unit is a pain in the arse too. The pluses are that there are thousands of sounds available on the internet if you can find an easy way of getting them in there.

Thanks mate. I just can’t get on with the general fm sound. It needs some proper effecting and programming for me. Which is where phasemaker aum and loads of au effects come in

• @Lady_App_titude said:
    Hardware, real instruments, desktop (Mac), are not the dark side. Android is the dark side.

When I saw the thread title I honestly thought that was what the thread was going to be about. :)

• @Lady_App_titude said:

Lol! I was born on the dark side! :)

• encenc
    edited December 2017

@sheffield bleep .. what sort of music do you make ? I mentioned the versatility if the sh01a .. if you make "proper" music with guitars, drums and all that sort of stuff you may find the sh01a a bit limiting. If you make the sort of music your forum name suggests it'll be right diwn your street. To give you an idea I have two tracks on the go both using multitracked sh01a sounds only. one of the songs actually has 9 tracks and counting of sounds sounds from the sh01a...

• edited December 2017

I wouldn’t get the sh-01a because it has a sequencer. I’d get a Keystep which has a sequencer just like the SH-01a but less steps. Plus it has a fun arp. I owned the sh-01a but felt it was a bit sterile and flat compared to the other boutiques I’ve owned. Nice controls though. I much prefer the Bass Station 2, JU-06, and the AS-1.

Overall I think the iPad has caused me to commoditize synths, leading me to devalue hardware synths, so maybe I’m not the best person to ask. I sold off all mine after catching the iOS bug.

• @SheffieldBleep said:
    I have returned to the dark side by reinvesting in some limited hardware. So far volca keys and volca sample and Novation Circuit. (...)

So - what should it be?

Korg Monologue - fits perfect to your setup of Volca Keys, Volca Sample and Novation Circuit. Imho. Even more into the dark side: Roland JDXI (not part of your list, but...). Advantage: Mind blowing drum sounds, good groove sequencer and a very big sound palette.

Problem at all: When you start to "complete" your setup as we are used in the iOS world, then - ähem - this would lead to a very expensive journey.

Restriction is the most important and helpful word in the dark side.

;-)