Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Advice formatting an external SSD as day-to-day working sample/backup vault. FAT32 or APFS?

I got a Samsung T5, and I want to offload my gigabytes os samples from my MacBook, which is bursting at the seams.

If I go FAT32, I get windows compatibility, and I can plug it into a wireless hub (a big plus for accessibility from iOS using FileBrowser.) However, FAT32 has limited file size (4GB), and music blobs can definitely be bigger. Also, there is a smaller maximum number of files.

Native apple format delivers better performance, and less hassles. Ironically, it's a little more confined to use from MacOS (only).

Advice?

Comments

• All my externals are still formatted as MacOS Extended (Journaled). APFS is awesome for built in drives, but it sounds like it's still limited on which computers can access externals formatted like that. Pretty much only Macs with High Sierra unless I missed something. Since my externals are my back ups too, I want them accessible from a few more sources than that should the worst happen.

At least for now. Once APFS gets more widespread, I'll reformat my drives.

• edited November 2017

@Tarekith said:
    All my externals are still formatted as MacOS Extended (Journaled). APFS is awesome for built in drives, but it sounds like it's still limited on which computers can access externals formatted like that. Pretty much only Macs with High Sierra unless I missed something. Since my externals are my back ups too, I want them accessible from a few more sources than that should the worst happen.

At least for now. Once APFS gets more widespread, I'll reformat my drives.

Thanks, I think I am leaning that way. I just wish WiFi hubs like the hoo too supported Mac extended. I love being on planes with gigabytes of samples available.

• I wouldn't use APFS for an external drive. Only High Sierra can read APFS-formatted disks, older macOS versions can't, so it's more confined than you think.

I'd choose between HFS+ and NTFS (via Paragon NTFS).

• This wireless hub reads HFS+ (Mac extended journaled):

https://www.amazon.com/IOGEAR-MediaShair-Wireless-Station-GWFRSDU/product-reviews/B00D7FRQMU

Philosophically, I want to easily access files from my iPad on the go. I’m going to try this.

• NTFS works for me.

• Apparently, APFS is not that awesome. I just found out you can't make an image of an APFS disk. And Time Machine backups stopped working again and looks like this time for good, tried everything w/o any luck :(

Their QC is getting worse and worse every year though I blame the bastard who decided to implement their stupid 'one major release per year' system. Money is all they care about