Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Christmas List Questions

So, The Kid got a Launchpad Mini last year and has been really going great guns with it along with other things. He's now playing a lot with FL 12 and mastering it. We do have a really nice large old Yamaha electric piano set up in his room. Just midi in and out, no pads or controller options but it is a beautiful thing to play which it should be because while it's 25 years old it did cost a couple of grand back then....has great feel....ANYWAY, am thinking about getting him a Novation Launchkey 49 USB Keyboard Controller for Christmas BUT it's really pimped for Ableton more than anything. No doubt will work fine with FL Studio but two questions I guess:

One: Before he develops any further is it worth it for him to switch to Abelton rather than FL? Or does it really make little difference as long as he's working it (which he is) and....

Two: The Launchkey is $200 and seems like decent bang for the buck. I would probably swing upto 3/350. Anything you know of that for the extra cash would be that much more worth it?

Thanks in advance etc. I just want to keep his enthusiasm for music and his fun with making it going if I can....

Comments

• 1-yes, #2-pimp up. Groom that kid’s ear while you can Pop. Get him a Gretsch 12 string and a Digitech 350 while you’re at it. He’s worth more than you are.

• Your kid probably is used to the way the Yamaha feels. Try out some of these newer keybeds to see if they feel decent. I miss several keyboards I've had in the past because of the feel of the keys.
    Also be aware of the keybeds with aftertouch, they can overload a network session without any notification unless filtered out.

• edited December 2017

With regard FL vs Ableton ... I guess as long as he is making stuff and enjoying it, it doesn't matter what he uses...he will pick up and master his craft by using either...FL with its free updates does mean though that it will be cheaper for him to continue with it in future.

Novation keys are usually pretty good, I've not tried the Launchkey, but my BS2 and Remote 25 keys are great for synths, but will not compare at all to a nice weighted keyboard when playing piano.
    If space isn't an issue then why not just use the keys on the Yamaha and use the MIDI Out from it ? If you wanna give him more controls get him something with plenty of rotaries/faders....he's already got pads on the LP Mini (although not velocity sensitive....I'll keep quiet about the fact that his..erm..your circuit DOES have velocity ;) Shhhh....) or, if he likes pads and using them for note input then perhaps an LP Pro may be a better fit for him.

Sorry, I seem to have given you more options than you had before :D

• I agree with @AndyPlankton - it isn’t the tools, it’s the musical spirit within that moves to make the tools do what one is striving for.

• @Martygras said:
    Your kid probably is used to the way the Yamaha feels. Try out some of these newer keybeds to see if they feel decent. I miss several keyboards I've had in the past because of the feel of the keys.
    Also be aware of the keybeds with aftertouch, they can overload a network session without any notification unless filtered out.

Good points and thank you. I suspect he will like all the knobs and buttons of a new device for now and will come to appreciate the absolutely luxurious playability of the older pianos feel and action as time goes by. There's a reaching (not to say sentimental) metaphor about girls and women in there somewhere, but I think I'll just leave it at that....

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    So, The Kid got a Launchpad Mini last year and has been really going great guns with it along with other things. He's now playing a lot with FL 12 and mastering it. We do have a really nice large old Yamaha electric piano set up in his room. Just midi in and out, no pads or controller options but it is a beautiful thing to play which it should be because while it's 25 years old it did cost a couple of grand back then....has great feel....ANYWAY, am thinking about getting him a Novation Launchkey 49 USB Keyboard Controller for Christmas BUT it's really pimped for Ableton more than anything. No doubt will work fine with FL Studio but two questions I guess:

One: Before he develops any further is it worth it for him to switch to Abelton rather than FL? Or does it really make little difference as long as he's working it (which he is) and....

Two: The Launchkey is $200 and seems like decent bang for the buck. I would probably swing upto 3/350. Anything you know of that for the extra cash would be that much more worth it?

Thanks in advance etc. I just want to keep his enthusiasm for music and his fun with making it going if I can....

Funnily enough I’m considering the same keyboard, but for use with the iPad, Logic and Maschine.

I understand it’s made with Live in mind, but I think it works just as well with anything else. If he’s serious about his music though, then maybe it’s time to dive into Ableton, as it’s a more commonly used pro DAW.

It’s a good value controller and reviews are good. As a Maschine user the NI Kontrol keyboard would be best fit for my use, but at three times the price of the Launchkey it’s not the best fit for my wallet.

• edited December 2017

@AndyPlankton said:
    With regard FL vs Ableton ... I guess as long as he is making stuff and enjoying it, it doesn't matter what he uses...he will pick up and master his craft by using either...FL with its free updates does mean though that it will be cheaper for him to continue with it in future.

Novation keys are usually pretty good, I've not tried the Launchkey, but my BS2 and Remote 25 keys are great for synths, but will not compare at all to a nice weighted keyboard when playing piano.
    If space isn't an issue then why not just use the keys on the Yamaha and use the MIDI Out from it ? If you wanna give him more controls get him something with plenty of rotaries/faders....he's already got pads on the LP Mini (although not velocity sensitive....I'll keep quiet about the fact that his..erm..your circuit DOES have velocity ;) Shhhh....) or, if he likes pads and using them for note input then perhaps an LP Pro may be a better fit for him.

Sorry, I seem to have given you more options than you had before :D

Thank you Mister A. I appreciate the feedback, especially as regards Fl vs A. I do agree with you as regards 'it's the camera you use/have got with you' that's the most valuable one and he has sussed out FL all on his own (and quickly) and is just making noise (a lot).

As for the Circuit, I had/have no idea that it can be used in conjunction with other things in this way. I don't have any problem with him nabbing it (it's true that we allow our children the food off our plate in a way we would kill others for etc).

• edited December 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited December 2017

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

Funnily enough I’m considering the same keyboard, but for use with the iPad, Logic and Maschine.

I understand it’s made with Live in mind, but I think it works just as well with anything else. If he’s serious about his music though, then maybe it’s time to dive into Ableton, as it’s a more commonly used pro DAW.

It’s a good value controller and reviews are good. As a Maschine user the NI Kontrol keyboard would be best fit for my use, but at three times the price of the Launchkey it’s not the best fit for my wallet.

I hear you. There's a part of me (the Daddy Warbucks part who forgets for a moment he can't afford it) that just wants to lavish him with the Teenage Engineering indulgence, but that's at least partly trying to buy the childhood I never had :)

Bit by bit and with an eye on the shekels. I'm just happy that he's happy and has music in his head...

• @Brain said:
    I agree with @AndyPlankton - it isn’t the tools, it’s the musical spirit within that moves to make the tools do what one is striving for.

Agreed :)

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

I hear you. There's a part of me (the Daddy Warbucks part who forgets for a moment he can't afford it) that just wants to lavish him with the Teenage Engineering indulgence, but that's at least partly trying to buy the childhood I never had :)

Bit by bit and with an eye on the shekels. I'm just happy that he's happy and has music in his head...

Does he use the iPad at all - more importantly does he use dad’s iPad full of every music app on the planet? Might be worth checking your preferred controller works with that if that’s the case. I think Jakob has a video of the Launchkey in use, I’ll find a link in a bit look.

Are you shelling out for the full Ableton, or the cheapskate free version that I use? Pretty pricey, even compared to an OP1...

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited December 2017

@MonzoPro He has an Air1, but doesn't use it for music. Yet. He's just intoxicated with the size of some of the VST sounds (and I understand that, was listening to him noodling with Nexus last night and I fell off my chair etc).

I think he likes the FL setup, so as long as that's so, fair enough. As I was just muttering about elsewhere, the biggest problem I now have is that all of this has led me to reading OP1 reviews for half an hour this morning AND I REALLY REALLY WANT ONE.

Sigh.

• @Max23 said:
    If it’s for daddy get an MPE controller :D

Don't get me started :)

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    @MonzoPro He has an Air1, but doesn't use it for music. Yet. He's just intoxicated with the size of some of the VST sounds (and I understand that, was listening to him noodling with Nexus last night and I fell off my chair etc).

I think he likes the FL setup, so as long as that's so, fair enough. As I was just muttering about elsewhere, the biggest problem I now have is that all of this has led me to reading OP1 reviews for half an hour this morning AND I REALLY REALLY WANT ONE.

Sigh.

You’ve got me looking at Nexus videos now look...

I had a bit of lust for the OP1 a couple of years ago, but it’s fallen from my affections - I think I’d get fed up with all the click shift fuss bother and itch. Like your lad my attention has been caught by the VST bobbins.

I want the Kontrol and/or Maschine V3 controller. Maybe I’ll send the bike back and get one of those for Monzo Jnr...

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

As for the Circuit, I had/have no idea that it can be used in conjunction with other things in this way. I don't have any problem with him nabbing it (it's true that we allow our children the food off our plate in a way we would kill others for etc).

Connect up the USB.....select synth 1 and notes mode.....then when you press the pads you will get notes sent out over midi on channel 1.....just turn the volume on the circuit down and you've got a velocity sensitive pad controller with scales support ;)
    Select Synth 2 and the MIDI goes out over channel 2.

• @AndyPlankton said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

Connect up the USB.....select synth 1 and notes mode.....then when you press the pads you will get notes sent out over midi on channel 1.....just turn the volume on the circuit down and you've got a velocity sensitive pad controller with scales support ;)

I have so many useful and generous notes from you that I have started a separate Plankton section in my iOS document. Am grateful.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

I have so many useful and generous notes from you that I have started a separate Plankton section in my iOS document. Am grateful.

yw :)

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

Have you seen many examples of the keyboard working with the iPad? I’ve seen a few, but they’re focusing on the Launchpad app. Jakob demos it with apps that support MIDI learn, but not sure if you can save the setup, or as is the case with my crappy Edirol - have to set it up every time.

Did see a badly done vid of some bloke using it with Gadget - using pads and knobs, but no info on how he’d done it.

It’s frustrating when there are so many videos of the same bloody thing!

• Keep the kid on FL since he's doing well with it. Ableton Live is another learning curve. That's gonna slow him down. He may not even like it, for all we know.
    The Novation Launchkey controllers have the worst quality keybeds I've ever seen. I owned a Launchkey 25 and took it apart to find out how cheaply they were made. They weren't built to last very long.

• @Rich303 said:
    Keep the kid on FL since he's doing well with it. Ableton Live is another learning curve. That's gonna slow him down. He may not even like it, for all we know.
    The Novation Launchkey controllers have the worst quality keybeds I've ever seen. I owned a Launchkey 25 and took it apart to find out how cheaply they were made. They weren't built to last very long.

Thanks Rich. I tend to agree with you as regards FL. I have heard the Launchkeys seem flimsy. Worries me somewhat as The Kid is a brute, maybe not such a good combination :)

• @MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

Have you seen many examples of the keyboard working with the iPad? I’ve seen a few, but they’re focusing on the Launchpad app. Jakob demos it with apps that support MIDI learn, but not sure if you can save the setup, or as is the case with my crappy Edirol - have to set it up every time.

Did see a badly done vid of some bloke using it with Gadget - using pads and knobs, but no info on how he’d done it.

Did you see this?

Says its 'In Control' system works with a variety of DAWS (they go through some).....think I'm going to get it. My guess is The Kid will choose to stay with the Yamaha (I would) and I'll be impressed in some ways if he does (pretty mature decision in face of the faders and flashy bits), but I won't mind being the back up plan.... :)

• My hip hop kid prefers FL too. There’s a thread on Reddit that addresses what controllers work well with it. Seems Novation is good, as is Oxygen.

https://www.reddit.com/r/edmproduction/comments/31kd7q/best_midi_keyboard_for_fl_studio/

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    My hip hop kid prefers FL too. There’s a thread on Reddit that addresses what controllers work well with it. Seems Novation is good, as is Oxygen.

https://www.reddit.com/r/edmproduction/comments/31kd7q/best_midi_keyboard_for_fl_studio/

Thanks for this. He's actually more of a Reddit hound than me (seems be the thing about now).

• Which FL does he use? The entry level doesn’t include audio recording?

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    Which FL does he use? The entry level doesn’t include audio recording?

12 I think. Not sure what it does or doesn't to be honest, but he has the bug and I am proud to think that he too will likely spend decades of his life making perfect 16 bar patterns and then, one day, maybe long after I'm gone, he will also steal lunch money from his children to buy another reverb he'll likely never use. The Tradition Endures! I'm feeling quite emotional....

• Good morning

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

Did you see this?

Says its 'In Control' system works with a variety of DAWS (they go through some).....think I'm going to get it. My guess is The Kid will choose to stay with the Yamaha (I would) and I'll be impressed in some ways if he does (pretty mature decision in face of the faders and flashy bits), but I won't mind being the back up plan.... :)

Cheers Boss, hadn’t seen that one, and there’s a bit more info in there. He mentioned being able to save custom mappings, which is the important bit.

£174 is a pretty good price, definitely on the list.

• edited December 2017

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

Did you see this?

Cheers Boss, hadn’t seen that one, and there’s a bit more info in there. He mentioned being able to save custom mappings, which is the important bit.

Yeah. I am one of those suckers who finds its easier over time to buy four things for 250 than one for a thousand. Guess that's why apps are so seductive...

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

Did you see this?

Yeah. I am one of those suckers who finds its easier over time to buy four things for 250 than one for a thousand. Guess that's why apps are so seductive...

It’s more a case of how much Xmas cash I can squeeze out of Mrs Monzo’s clutches. I might be pushing it by putting this one on the list...