Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Recommend me a great audio interface native to iOS?

Exactly what it says on the tin. I’m looking for a nice external sound module for a recording job that not only has 1/4” jack and XLR inputs, but can also power my iPad Pro at the same time. MIDI In would also be a pretty sweet deal. The app I’d use with this module would be Auria Pro no doubt. What personal recommendations can you give me? Thank you all in advance. :)

Comments

• apogee duet and quartet, iconnectivity audio 2/4... i think that might still be all of them

you can of course use all/nearly all class compliant devices via the powered camera connection kit

• Any class compliant devices that can also charge my iPad at the same time? :) That’s a bit of the holy grail I’m looking for actually, lol.

• Doesn’t the new powered CCK also charge the iPad?

• @Hmtx said:
    Doesn’t the new powered CCK also charge the iPad?

Yup. I use the new powered CCK with my iPad/iPhone and the Zoom U44 (which is a fabulous device - it has

• battery power or wall power for use with iOS devices
    • USB power for use with a Mac or PC,
    • stereo 1/4” outputs for monitors,
    • four RCA outputs (two stereo pairs),
    • headphone output,

• digital coaxial in/out,
    • digital SP/DIF in and out,
    • two built-in neutrik 1/4”/XLR mic preamps
    • and a connector on the front to add an extra two neutrik 1/4” inputs / mic pres or a Zoom stereo mic capsule - plus...

• 5-pin DIN MIDI in and out, and the ability to be used as a stand-alone d/a converter or mixer in addition to an interface for iOS/Mac/PC - all in a convenient portable package).

All for around $150. Or for 20 or 30 dollars less, there’s a version with everything except the front connector. Or for $90 or so, a version with just two mic pres.

Fabulous high-quality device, works great with the camera connector kit and iOS devices, super-portable.

Xx
    Isolator707

• @Hmtx and @Isolator707

That Zoom U44 and powered CCK are EXACTLY the things I’m lookin for! I’ll see if I can’t get the Sweetwater special financing on the Zoom U44 right after Christmas (given the fact it’s offered until the 31st). I’ll snap up the powered CCK within the week. Cheers mates.

• @wellingtonCres said:
    in short, no

Does kinda suck, but at least the powered CCK solution will work. :) Cheers mate.

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:
    Exactly what it says on the tin. I’m looking for a nice external sound module for a recording job that not only has 1/4” jack and XLR inputs, but can also power my iPad Pro at the same time. MIDI In would also be a pretty sweet deal. The app I’d use with this module would be Auria Pro no doubt. What personal recommendations can you give me? Thank you all in advance. :)

Apogee Duet for IOS is solid over here, great ad/da converters ,up to 96k on Ipad, 192k on MacBook Pro, usb midi, charges the Ipad/Iphone 1/4 and XLR inputs. I would say the only con for me, and its not a big deal tbh, is that is has a break out cable instead of the input being on the actual interface. Arturia has the Audiofuse, it has a ton of features but I havent heard it in person.

• I like my iTrack dock because the Focusrite mic inputs are nice sounding. You’d have to rig it into your Pro with an extender cable of some type.

• @Isolator707 said:

@Hmtx said:
    Doesn’t the new powered CCK also charge the iPad?

Yup. I use the new powered CCK with my iPad/iPhone and the Zoom U44 (which is a fabulous device - it has

• battery power or wall power for use with iOS devices
    • USB power for use with a Mac or PC,
    • stereo 1/4” outputs for monitors,
    • four RCA outputs (two stereo pairs),
    • headphone output,

• digital coaxial in/out,
    • digital SP/DIF in and out,
    • two built-in neutrik 1/4”/XLR mic preamps
    • and a connector on the front to add an extra two neutrik 1/4” inputs / mic pres or a Zoom stereo mic capsule - plus...

• 5-pin DIN MIDI in and out, and the ability to be used as a stand-alone d/a converter or mixer in addition to an interface for iOS/Mac/PC - all in a convenient portable package).

All for around $150. Or for 20 or 30 dollars less, there’s a version with everything except the front connector. Or for $90 or so, a version with just two mic pres.

Fabulous high-quality device, works great with the camera connector kit and iOS devices, super-portable.

Xx
    Isolator707

+1

I don't think any audio interface will charge your iPad but this one is really good, and with the new CCK you're sorted. The U-24 is also really good if you don't need all of the U-44's features.

• edited December 2017

If the powered CCK 3 will charge the iPad, I don’t really understand the question... why search for a “native to iOS” device? just go buy the class-compliant audio device that suits your needs and budget, buy the CCK3, buy a powered USB hub (for other USB MIDI if needed) and then you’ll be fine. Any USB audio device that “just works” on your Mac should work just as well on iOS. There are hundreds of options.

• edited December 2017

@Hmtx said:
    If the powered CCK 3 will charge the iPad, I don’t really understand the question... why search for a “native to iOS” device?

Because maybe I didn’t know the powered CCK existed? :neutral:

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:
    @Hmtx and @Isolator707

That Zoom U44 and powered CCK are EXACTLY the things I’m lookin for! I’ll see if I can’t get the Sweetwater special financing on the Zoom U44 right after Christmas (given the fact it’s offered until the 31st). I’ll snap up the powered CCK within the week. Cheers mates.

Man if your trying to finance an audio interface, maybe now is not the time to get it.

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:

@Hmtx said:
    If the powered CCK 3 will charge the iPad, I don’t really understand the question... why search for a “native to iOS” device?

Because maybe I didn’t know the powered CCK existed? :neutral:

I hear ya, I was just trying to say your options are now wide open. You should be able to find an interface that has exactly what you need, or even buy something that has room to expand. I was just confused why it seemed like the discussion was based around a few specific interfaces. Personally I had the focusrite 2i2 and loved it. Then I got the behringer UMC404HD which still sounds great and has a lot more ins/outs. I would recommend both, but there are so many other options and factors in the decision. MIDI? Number of inputs? Phantom power? outputs? Direct monitoring? It’s actually a lot of fun to imagine all we can do from a little phone in the hand. Enjoy shopping, I agree now is a good time to score a deal, whatever device you decide on.

• Another vote for the zoom. I like it more than the apogee one and the k-mix i had. Just very reliable, always shows up as soon as connected. Battery powered if needed (2-3 hours but enough for a pinch). Sounds pretty good. Monitoring options are foolproof. I even use it as a headphone amp, not connected to the ipad i plug my guitar pedals and amp sim pedal in and jAm away on headphones. I have the u-24.

• The Apogee is four times the price of the zoom. I know they have a good rep, but are they that much better. I always wonder now, with the level of electronics we've gotten to, whether spending the big bux on the upper end stuff is really worthwhile? Microphones, I think still, you can buy better quality. Not sure about interfaces. If it's clean, it's clean.

• Zoom U44 is my baby!! The 2 extra input attachment is cherry af

• Actually, I think the iConnect Audio 4+ does charge an iPad while it works. As did the older Alesis iO docks.

And here’s a handy tip no-ones seems to know - the old Lexicon Omega (4 in, 2 out) is class compliant, and works well as an iPad input. Doesn’t charge, but does have a lot of knobs, and can monitor in real-time. You can often find them used for ~ $50, I’ve picked up a couple actually.

• @rickwaugh said:
    The Apogee is four times the price of the zoom. I know they have a good rep, but are they that much better. I always wonder now, with the level of electronics we've gotten to, whether spending the big bux on the upper end stuff is really worthwhile? Microphones, I think still, you can buy better quality. Not sure about interfaces. If it's clean, it's clean.

never tested the apogee one next to the zoom. when i had both. i am sure there HAS to be some improvement, but i don't notice it. the signal is nice and clean, and stuff sounds like it has to. maybe if i had access to a studio with great acoustics and awesome speakers...but i don't.

• A lot of it is in the analog to digital converters, which are just software, no hardware. That's a no brainer now, companies have had those and been working on them for a long time, refining them.

• @roygbiv said:
    Actually, I think the iConnect Audio 4+ does charge an iPad while it works. As did the older Alesis iO docks.

And here’s a handy tip no-ones seems to know - the old Lexicon Omega (4 in, 2 out) is class compliant, and works well as an iPad input. Doesn’t charge, but does have a lot of knobs, and can monitor in real-time. You can often find them used for ~ $50, I’ve picked up a couple actually.

I've got 4 different iPad models and the Omega works differently across all models sometimes not working at all, this maybe the case for just the Omega, but I suspect it may be the case for other class compliant sound cards.

• Apogee duet will charge the iPad. I hated the breakout cable and found it flimsy and it would disconnect from the unit if pulled on too hard. Also needs to be plugged in so not as portable as I would have liked. I ended up selling it and buying one of the cheapo Mac mini’s and a Behringer umc404hd. I’m happy with the setup now.

• @rickwaugh said:
    A lot of it is in the analog to digital converters, which are just software, no hardware.

It might be my age, but I’ve always known ADCs to be hardware, like Burr Brown. Could you point me to any info on software ADCs?