Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Appsale X Drummer half price now

Anybody experience with this app?

Comments

• Disappointing

• It’s not what Positive Grid said it would be, but it has improved and continues to be developed in beta tests. If you’re looking for another option for good sounding acoustic drum sounds, it offers that. It’s essentially a bunch of different loops grouped in styles. The AI feature finds a loop set for you and adjusts the tempo to what you’re playing.

I beta tested for them in the beginning and they were very responsive to ideas, but didn’t/couldn’t implement them all. I still get the Facebook messages about the new betas, but I don’t have time to test it anymore.

I was/am disappointed with it as well, but my disappointment comes from what Positive Grid said it would be. I think if they had marketed it as it is, I wouldn’t have been disappointed.

I find it useful, but not in the same league as Drum Session by @DerekBuddemeyer.

• Its nothing like they say, ai part of it is useless and the drum samples arent that great. There are better drum apps

• I wonder, if this will go the route of Final Touch. Final Touch still works. But, it doesn't really live up to what PG said it was going to be. Was never developed further than just an update here or there. What it is now, is what it is. And, I guess that's fine.

• @supanorton said:
    I think if they had marketed it as it is, I wouldn’t have been disappointed.

This.

• I'm turned off to Positive Grid overall. Their model seems to be trying to resell to the same customer base and leaving products behind to develop the next thing. For example, Bias Amp isn't universal, and the separate iPhone and iPad versions have separate IAP as a result. I used to be a fan, but they seem to just ride a marketing wave.

• Okay thanks all for responding, no buy for me this time

• Artificial intelligence aside, is it a tenner worth of drum loops, or do I likely have it already in other apps?

• XDrummer has been fantastic for me as a live performer, the AI alone is worth the asking price for it. You can definitely find better sounds elsewhere but if you play instruments live, this is a gem

• @supanorton said:
    I find it useful, but not in the same league as Drum Session by @DerekBuddemeyer.

Thanks for the input. I was sniffing the sale, but as I have (and like) Derek's app (and as I don't play live) I think I'm probably covered.

• Good morning

• @Liquidmantis said:
    I'm turned off to Positive Grid overall. Their model seems to be trying to resell to the same customer base and leaving products behind to develop the next thing. For example, Bias Amp isn't universal, and the separate iPhone and iPad versions have separate IAP as a result. I used to be a fan, but they seem to just ride a marketing wave.

Seems like you read my mind.
    I still fire up Bias AMP... But JamUp got deleted in favor for Tonestack... and I decided to not invest in their iAPs anymore :Lol:

• I got an email just now about an update to this app and the video was interesting, however, a there were times it sounded mechanical to me (like a drum machine playing live drum parts) and I'm hesitant to enter the positive grid world again, as mentioned earlier in the thread and by me on others, they seem to have the pattern of introducing something, staying with it for long enough to produce a few IAP's, the moving on to the next thing and leaving things undone. Holding off for now, maybe a Doug video or some other info on here world change my mind.

• I'm interested to know how good the update is, too.

The most interesting info I've seen yet is this from their website:

Further personalize your drum track by editing individual drum patterns down to every last hit. You can fine-tune each drum pattern by changing the articulation, notation and leading hand to replicate the nuances of a real drummer. Additionally, there are a whole range of dynamic presets to help you find a groove that meshes with your song.

I typically don't go for drum machines that don't have swing/shuffle. I take it the presets they're referring to are MIDI patterns? Are there any options for swing/shuffle?

Didn't the old description on the app store have a bunch of 'coming soon' stuff about the cloud?

• Here's one answer from their FAQ: https://help.positivegrid.com/hc/en-us/articles/115002135463-X-Drummer-General-FAQ

Q: I want a different swing, can I change each part's quantization? Or I can't change the drum notes at all?
    A: They are fixed and cannot be changed. We will consider making this available in the future.

• Does the Audiobus integration offer anything to someone who doesn’t play live, isn’t into rock music, but wants to spend every penny they have on apps?

• A new vid out for the update from iPadLoops.

It doesn't look terrible but I think I'm covered for drums:

• I am havig problems with it. After the update it crashes every time i try to open the store ?

• edited December 2017

Well, in a moment of insanity I gave positive grid money (for the last time for sure now!). Could it be any harder to change loop lengths or the length of a clip? From what I can tell you can drop an 8 bar groove in but then if you want to drop in a 1 bar fill it becomes the 9th bar, no way to shorten the groove even though it looks like there’s handles to do so. The drum samples are not bad, but any repeated notes definitely have a machine gun effect. Nothing like machine gun no swing funk playing to make a song happen! ;)

I went to the report a problem site to seek a refund (why oh why didn’t I follow my gut instinct that told me this app would be just like the rest of theirs?) but under “it doesn’t function as expected” there’s only an option to go to the positive grid site. It’s been a long time since I did a refund, I guess I have to select that I didn’t mean to buy it or that I meant to buy another app?

Anyway, luckily it was only $10, but if you want to actually accomplish anything I’d look at other options for your drums (I should have known to just stick with the GarageBand drummer).

• @mrufino1 You can get a refund through Apple Support. There's an option for iTunes store. Last I checked there were call/chat/email options.

• @telecharge said:
    @mrufino1 You can get a refund through Apple Support. There's an option for iTunes store. Last I checked there were call/chat/email options.

Is the the report a problem website, or are you referring to something else? If I hold onto it I will do so as a reminder to stop buying apps that I have to invent a use scenario for. Something tells me the fiddly controls, lack of control over loop content (I thought editable meant editable, but it really means that I have a couple of options but can’t actually edit the midi, at least until after I bounce it, at which point there’s not much point to the app) will remain while new iap content is developed constantly. Then on to the next app when it’s sort of working enough. At least it didn’t crash...

Oh, and the “leading hand” feature where you can have that cymbal play the original groove, or quarter, eighths, or sixteenths- whenever you select any option but original it is extremely quiet. And there’s a weird issue that affects the panning while grooves are playing, hard to explain but it kept happening.

Oh well, their marketing got me again, fooled me twice and more, shame on me...I guess if this the worst problem I have right now it’s ok.

• The new update totally broke the app and I've written to PositiveGrid about it. They got back to me about it and seemed sincere about getting it fixed, so here's hoping for the best :( The app was amazing before this update, shows you shouldn't fix something that ain't broke =_=

• The layout is not optimized for the 12.9" iPad Pro. How are they not unit and regression testing this stuff?

• @mrufino1 said:

@telecharge said:
    @mrufino1 You can get a refund through Apple Support. There's an option for iTunes store. Last I checked there were call/chat/email options.

Is the the report a problem website, or are you referring to something else?

Sorry, I've been offline since yesterday.

Go here, then choose iTunes Store:
    https://getsupport.apple.com/?caller=psp&SG=SG005

• Ah, thanks. For what it's worth, I realized I have a ton of midi loops that I bought years ago from oddgrooves, which are amazing, and from another company whose name I am forgetting at the moment which are decent, and putting those on a lyra track in auria works great with the free drum kits that are available. So now I have a great solution for when not in garageband.