Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Is it safe to buy the 10,5" iPad?

So I'm thinking about splashing out monies for the 256gb 10,5". It is A LOT of money, obviously audio apps is a priority here and needs to work without issues. Any 10,5" owners here that still have issues with the latest iOS 11.xx? I've not kept up with this gen of iPads, but I've seen people here and there, mentioning audio related issues with the latest pads. What I really don't want is buying an iPad at this price point where it turns out the audio issues are hardware related. Are the 10,5" & 12,9" models having the same issues in regards to latency, soundbursts and whatnot? Time for some shut-eye, then I'll be swinging by the store in the morning picking one up. So I expect a full report on this mess in....a few hrs!

(Also, the pen, is there a cheaper one that's just as good? I mean, what the actual shit @ the price on that thing)

Comments

• edited December 2017

Still reading reports on AU issues, not being able to run as many as an Air2, it has stopped me upgrading.

• I've had a 10.5" for a while now and it feels like the issues I've had have been resolved. AU instancing doesn't seem to be as much of an issue now but there is still a max amount of memory that instantiated plugins can consume before they crash. I don't think it's less than an Air 2. Let me know what plugins and how many instances you can run and I'll test.

• For a little bit more money, you could have a Shiny new Surface Pro(if you want to make music on a Tablet?)......... So you can use better DAWs, shit load of FREE VSTs. Or use the full software apps from you PC on your Tablet That way. I'm using Air1 still. Was going upgrade, but the price of Apple iPads......... I can gat an i7 16gb Lappie. Besides, it also depends on the music you make too?........ If your guitarist then iPad is great........ Wanna make some Acid Twchno?.....It's great, but limited to a degree. Wanna make some full production all in one in music Professional "Thingy" & Mastered, etc......... Then lNah!....... ios is not good enough, but it is good enough, & great in what it's does as a tool for creating ideas in Post productions. ;)

• I bit the bullet on the 12.9" model and I am now using it as my primary development device. Not noticing any funny behavior and I think I'm really stress-testing it.

• Im also interestet in a 105 pro if I could run more fabfilter plugins simultaniously in Auria pro than on my Air 2. Any experiences?

• FWIW, the awful experience I had of a new iPad Pro 10.5 randomly shutting down is now a rare thing. I still believe there was a hardware fault. But likely something that was worked around and bypassed with IOS, for early models, and fixed in newer products.

Most of the time, the iPad Pro is much better than the Air 2. It is faster - noticeably so - able to handle much more load, and as of today I still have 185GB of the 256GB I started with, despite installing a truck load of music apps, including several that take up space.

So, like all complex electronics, there is a risk, but most people will do just fine most of the time. Apple’s after sales service was, for me, deeply crap. But that is no reflection on the base fitness of the hardware.

• edited December 2017

@brambos said:
    I bit the bullet on the 12.9" model and I am now using it as my primary development device. Not noticing any funny behavior and I think I'm really stress-testing it.

I've been wondering. Did they iron out the glitchey audio issue (last I heard it seemed resolved). Are we talking 2017 model?

• @Panthemusicalgoat said:

@brambos said:
    I bit the bullet on the 12.9" model and I am now using it as my primary development device. Not noticing any funny behavior and I think I'm really stress-testing it.

I've been wondering. Did they iron out the glitchey audio issue (last I heard it seemed resolved). Are we talking 2017 model?

I haven't heard the glitchy audio myself (bought my 2017 Pro after iOS11.1 was released) so as far as I'm concerned it's solved.

• I’ve been contemplating one of these too. Also, like @studs1966 I have given much thought to running my iPad along side a Surface Pro. So here is my list of thoughts in no particular order:

1. I generally hate Windows and the work involved in upkeep.
    2. The 10.5 seems the idea compromise in size for travel vs function
    3. Apple have raised all prices in the UK because they desire bigger yachts!
    4. While I hate some of the iOS limitations, there is no beating the app bang per buck IMO
    5. Yes Windows has some free ware, but also has free viruses to go with the OS
    6. iOS is a touch device OS, Windows is becoming a touch device OS
    7. Apple and Microsoft are both real heartless overlarge corporations
    8. I’ve had more fun with my iPad than I have any of my many Windows laptops over the years
    9. I have an awful lot of Apple bought music, films, apps etc and now Apple have a 512gb model
    10. The 512gb model is stupid money because Apple are greedy #unts
    11. Microsoft are just as bad as Apple
    12. While the spec of the Surface seems much better, my experience is that Windows has more overheads to run multiple software. So 8gb Windows ram is not double 4gb Windows ram
    13. Surface Pros have fans I do believe (noise and sucking in dust)
    14. Apple are still proprietary tastic and I’ve had enough of this with Sony devices over the years (expensive and often subpar addons)
    15. Windows gives me access to some real high end music software (at a cost). Apple have the resources to bring their acquired high end music software to iOS, but as yet have not done so. Yet, they still have the gaul to propose the Pro iPad as laptop replacements.
    16. Apple are going through a process of all but ruining their Mac range in their never ending quest to be trendy. This trend bothers me
    17. Microsoft are sorta the underdogs now. I’m British so I favour underdogs
    18. Buying either of these devices worries digs at my conscience as I am not a fan of large corporations
    19. Over a grand is an awful lot of money to pay for something that can become a door stop in a few years, where as spending that money on fishing tackle always seems a good investment
    20. I use my iPad every day unless I’m long session fishing where I don’t take much tech

Lots of thoughts lol

• @Fruitbat1919 said:
    I’ve been contemplating one of these too. Also, like @studs1966 I have given much thought to running my iPad along side a Surface Pro. So here is my list of thoughts in no particular order:

4. While I hate some of the iOS limitations, there is no beating the app bang per buck IMO
    8. I’ve had more fun with my iPad than I have any of my many Windows laptops over the years
    9. I have an awful lot of Apple bought music, films, apps etc and now Apple have a 512gb model
    12. While the spec of the Surface seems much better, my experience is that Windows has more overheads to run multiple software. So 8gb Windows ram is not double 4gb Windows ram
    14. Apple are still proprietary tastic and I’ve had enough of this with Sony devices over the years (expensive and often subpar addons)
    15. Windows gives me access to some real high end music software (at a cost). Apple have the resources to bring their acquired high end music software to iOS, but as yet have not done so. Yet, they still have the gaul to propose the Pro iPad as laptop replacements.
    16. Apple are going through a process of all but ruining their Mac range in their never ending quest to be trendy. This trend bothers me
    18. Buying either of these devices worries digs at my conscience as I am not a fan of large corporations
    19. Over a grand is an awful lot of money to pay for something that can become a door stop in a few years, where as spending that money on fishing tackle always seems a good investment
    20. I use my iPad every day unless I’m long session fishing where I don’t take much tech

Lots of thoughts lol

Good List........... But as Windows 10 has become much more stable now, also the Torrent scene has gone into oblivion(where you got virtually all the Viruses from cracked software).... Microsoft's software has become a joy now. Apple are very strict on what goes on there Mac's & IOS(non Jail Broken). So that would probably be the reason why you don't get Viruses on there machines. But Windows has now become this now (but a bit flexible than Apple, & more reasonably Priced.... Also more to choose in software you desire)...... to a degree.
    On any computer, if you go down the "Dark Net" of the internet side of things, it doesn't matter what protection you have on your device....... It will hacked anyway............ As long as you stay safe.... You will be. :)

• @studs1966 said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:
    I’ve been contemplating one of these too. Also, like @studs1966 I have given much thought to running my iPad along side a Surface Pro. So here is my list of thoughts in no particular order:

Lots of thoughts lol

Good List........... But as Windows 10 has become much more stable now, also the Torrent scene has gone into oblivion(where you got virtually all the Viruses from cracked software).... Microsoft's software has become a joy now. Apple are very strict on what goes on there Mac's & IOS(non Jail Broken). So that would probably be the reason why you don't get Viruses on there machines. But Windows has now become this now (but a bit flexible than Apple, & more reasonably Priced.... Also more to choose in software you desire)...... to a degree.
    On any computer, if you go down the "Dark Net" of the internet side of things, it doesn't matter what protection you have on your device....... It will hacked anyway............ As long as you stay safe.... You will be. :)

Are you saying that Windows 10 is way better on the virus score than Windows 7? If so, what are we talking about. With 7 it was a case of keeping lots of protection happening to even just go on the web. I obviously don’t have to do any of that with my Linux or iOS set ups. Is Windows 10 safe to go on ‘normal’ non dodgy websites such as here? Or does it still need extra protection out of the box?

• @Fruitbat1919 said:

@studs1966 said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

Lots of thoughts lol

Are you saying that Windows 10 is way better on the virus score than Windows 7? If so, what are we talking about. With 7 it was a case of keeping lots of protection happening to even just go on the web. I obviously don’t have to do any of that with my Linux or iOS set ups. Is Windows 10 safe to go on ‘normal’ non dodgy websites such as here? Or does it still need extra protection out of the box?

Weeeellllllll...... Yes I am. Years ago I did a lot(Torrenting stuff) I had Windows 7 then 10. Had a bit of trouble with 7(quite of reinstalling because of viruses...... My fault, but it taught me about Windows a bit more....... Hense the saying, "Learn by your mistakes")
    I tried going the same route to test Windows 10. I found it a lot better & safer IMHO than Windows 7. I'm quite happy with Windows 10, like I'm happy with iOS 10. Not gonna go to iOS 11, as I don't want to lose Alchemy( got the soundpack too) But I can patiently wait when Apple bring out the next IPads(next year if they do?) I'm hoping for Apple they can sort out there problems. But I'm making music now, & im doing what is best to create, for now &'not have problems. At this moment in time, I will not upgrade to a New shiny iPad Pro at all. I'm staying with what I have........ Just saying matey. ;)

• I’ve had an iPad Pro 10.5” (256GB) for 5+ months now, and I love it. Had an Air 2 before this, and everything about the new one is better. I have a truckload of music apps, all of which seem perfectly well behaved. For my use, I typically don’t push them to the point of maxing out AU instances, so I can’t comment on that. The Apple Pencil is expensive, but I love it and have honestly stopped using paper in my day to day work. It’s that good. I don’t use the Pencil with music apps, as I know some here do, as I find most controls to be large enough on this screen.

• @studs1966 said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@studs1966 said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

Lots of thoughts lol

Weeeellllllll...... Yes I am. Years ago I did a lot(Torrenting stuff) I had Windows 7 then 10. Had a bit of trouble with 7(quite of reinstalling because of viruses...... My fault, but it taught me about Windows a bit more....... Hense the saying, "Learn by your mistakes")
    I tried going the same route to test Windows 10. I found it a lot better & safer IMHO than Windows 7. I'm quite happy with Windows 10, like I'm happy with iOS 10. Not gonna go to iOS 11, as I don't want to lose Alchemy( got the soundpack too) But I can patiently wait when Apple bring out the next IPads(next year if they do?) I'm hoping for Apple they can sort out there problems. But I'm making music now, & im doing what is best to create, for now &'not have problems. At this moment in time, I will not upgrade to a New shiny iPad Pro at all. I'm staying with what I have........ Just saying matey. ;)

I think that is the way to go. If Ipad is a music machine then it should be treated as such so basically: update (fix) when things don't work.

But because there is that other entity called 'release a new OS every year whatever the cost' we are in for a perpetual pickle unless we just ignore it.

Yes, but what do you do?

Keep the machine on the last working OS and update the apps or

Keep the machine on latest OS and don't update the apps or

Keep the machine and apps on latest and greatest?

Whatever choice you make there will be trouble ahead. Which makes me think that this is just the world we're living in. Maybe it is how it's always been? The nature has its cycles, every year everything is renewed, then gets older and eventually dies.

I think the best way is to keep fingers in many pies and keep fluid. If Ipad crashes get yourself a hardware backup. If that's buggy get yourself a guitar, a band, have more sex. Life truly IS shorter than it seems.

• @studs1966 said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@studs1966 said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

Lots of thoughts lol

I appreciate hearing your story of use Sir.

I’m seriously looking at all my options as I don’t think my Air2 has another year left in this world, without at least a new battery. Add to this I need way more storage space now my app load has risen extremely high in the 2.5 years I’ve been using iOS.

Problem is however much I love my tech, I feel that sometimes the prices have just risen too much for my hobby use. My Air2 cost £480. The new ‘cheap’ iPad is a downgrade IMO and does not have a large storage option. So, it’s then a jump up to at least £760 and probably more for the 512gb I’d like.

The sweet spot in the new Surface range seems to be the 256gb i5 8gb model, but that’s about £1300 (without the pen now). So, a 512gb 12in IPad Pro with Pencil seems a reasonable price really lol

• @supadom said:

@studs1966 said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@studs1966 said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

Lots of thoughts lol

I think that is the way to go. If Ipad is a music machine then it should be treated as such so basically: update (fix) when things don't work.

But because there is that other entity called 'release a new OS every year whatever the cost' we are in for a perpetual pickle unless we just ignore it.

Yes, but what do you do?

Keep the machine on the last working OS and update the apps or

Keep the machine on latest OS and don't update the apps or

Keep the machine and apps on latest and greatest?

Whatever choice you make there will be trouble ahead. Which makes me think that this is just the world we're living in. Maybe it is how it's always been? The nature has its cycles, every year everything is renewed, then gets older and eventually dies.

I think the best way is to keep fingers in many pies and keep fluid. If Ipad crashes get yourself a hardware backup. If that's buggy get yourself a guitar, a band, have more sex. Life truly IS shorter than it seems.

That’s why when I came into some money recently I bought a whole new kit of Carp fishing tackle. I now have an alternative hobby (or eggs in two baskets).

It’s just a shame I now my Air2 will not last even if frozen in iOS and app state, as I use it so much it’s beginning to give me that feeling it’s days are numbered (I can just feel it in my bones that it’s days are numbered - I’ve been like that with laptops, can’t always say why, I just know! Usually I’m right lol).

I know I could just get another Air2 second hand, but that may seem like throwing away money soon if the Air struggles with future iOS updates

• @Fruitbat1919 said:

@studs1966 said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

Lots of thoughts lol

MS Win 10= also hell. I and a few people around me use Windows 10 and can't upgrade from 1511 from some vague reason. Just google around how many people have problems with the upgrade which can be or hardware or software related. Important to know is that if you don't upgrade in time you don't get security patches. 1511 gets EOL in 4 months from now... So you can't update and you're stuck with an insecure version.

Here the whole update scheme of Win 10

• @mannix said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@studs1966 said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

Lots of thoughts lol

MS Win 10= also hell. I and a few people around me use Windows 10 and can't upgrade from 1511 from some vague reason. Just google around how many people have problems with the upgrade which can be or hardware or software related. Important to know is that if you don't upgrade in time you don't get security patches. 1511 gets EOL in 4 months from now... So you can't update and you're stuck with an insecure version.

Here the whole update scheme of Win 10

Thanks for that. Seems most systems are in update Hell! Another reason to just buy more fishing tackle lol

• from xp to now still with win7, i've never had a virus. maybe a different machine for porn ;) torrents? well then, that's fair game.
    one thing i've learnt with my 2yrs with ios is the future's going to involve more hassle with updates. i can be bothered at the mo but not sure how long that'll last. probably just freeze it on 13.333 recurring and settle for what i've got. i've already got a few really sweet apps now anyways.
    if i could dodge the mouse i'd go pc tho

• Surface is nothing I'm interested in at this point. Using a tablet to navigate desktop-land, my feeble brittle psyche can't deal with that. :-)

I've been with iOS since the beginning. Been out of it all for 2 years or so. I'm on an iPad Air 1 now. And when looking at the specs on the 10,5", it's 1gb ram vs 4gb ram, plus a SOC that's a whole lot faster then it was in 2013. As the Air 1 still is hanging in there, the 10,5" sounds bullet-future proof to me. I'm not gonna lie, @brambos is a huge reason for the upgrade (more specifically your new sequencer suite, my Air 1 isn't going any further then iOS10.3.3 due to it needing 32bit support). If you're happy with your 2017 12,9" @brambos, I ought to be happy as well. But reading about limitations on how many AUs you can/can't load into ram before acting goofy is a new one. Yet a lot has been solved via point updates to iOS11 as well.

Basically....it's the iPad 3 that's coming back to haunt me here. It had screen tech with the retina screen, but a bit of a lemon device for audio people with various weird behaviors related to audio/midi. 2017, new screen tech/size, various issues reported. I don't think they ever sorted out iPad 3. But....sod it, I only got an hr to make up my mind, I'll do that in the car lol

Oh yes, then pen, messing around with photography is another thing I'm using the Air for. Not drawing stuff, that I can't do, I'm no artista with a pen in my hand. Another inch and the new screen tech would make things a better experience here. I hope.:-)

• Problem with freezing an iPad is that it also requires a backup on either PC or Mac. The reason I say that, is that the most likely thing to go with my extensive use per day, is the battery. Now while getting the battery replaced is not too expensive, it does require a full reload afterwards (and you are not even guaranteed to get the same iPad back! So, you have to have a full backup ready to roll.

I’m with the opinion that any of these options are not long term, so not to worry about them. I am however more weary as any of the current options are pretty expensive for something I will probably only get 3-4 years out of.

• @ChrisG said:
    I'm not gonna lie, @brambos is a huge reason for the upgrade (more specifically your new sequencer suite, my Air 1 isn't going any further then iOS10.3.3 due to it needing 32bit support). If you're happy with your 2017 12,9" @brambos, I ought to be happy as well.

Well, that was obviously also one of my own considerations and I must say running AUM with its floating windows on a 12.9" screen is a delight. :)

• @brambos said:

@ChrisG said:
    I'm not gonna lie, @brambos is a huge reason for the upgrade (more specifically your new sequencer suite, my Air 1 isn't going any further then iOS10.3.3 due to it needing 32bit support). If you're happy with your 2017 12,9" @brambos, I ought to be happy as well.

Well, that was obviously also one of my own considerations and I must say running AUM with its floating windows on a 12.9" screen is a delight. :)

How many Windows does it fit comfortably?

• edited December 2017

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@brambos said:

@ChrisG said:

I typically have 3 or 4 open. They overlap, but there's enough of them visible to bring them to the foreground easily when needed. And then I still have access to the built-in keyboard and AUM's transport controls.

• @ChrisG said:
    (Also, the pen, is there a cheaper one that's just as good? I mean, what the actual shit @ the price on that thing)

I'm very happy with the Apple Pencil. It is absolutely worth the money. BUT: If you don't plan to draw or to write notes by hand, you can save the money. A simple stylus is all you need for music apps -- always assuming the stylus has a thin tip.

• @brambos said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@brambos said:

@ChrisG said:

I typically have 3 or 4 open. They overlap, but there's enough of them visible to bring them to the foreground easily when needed. And then I still have access to the built-in keyboard and AUM's transport controls.

Hmm I may have to rethink a 12 over a 10.5.

• @Fruitbat1919 said:
    Problem with freezing an iPad is that it also requires a backup on either PC or Mac. The reason I say that, is that the most likely thing to go with my extensive use per day, is the battery. Now while getting the battery replaced is not too expensive, it does require a full reload afterwards (and you are not even guaranteed to get the same iPad back! So, you have to have a full backup ready to roll.

I’m with the opinion that any of these options are not long term, so not to worry about them. I am however more weary as any of the current options are pretty expensive for something I will probably only get 3-4 years out of.

true and how depressing. although i do use mine charging quite a lot, so i might get 3.25-4.25 yrs out of it
    it's like the evil monkey that lives in Chris' closet in family guy- only it's not a monkey for me, it's a mouse o_O

• @Fruitbat1919 said:

Lots of thoughts lol

I love my ipad even though it's far from perfect. I don't like MS or Apple, they are equally evil but for me ipad is the best thing out there. Anyways I recently bought an OP-1 which has many limitations but brings a lot of joy. Hopefully it will make me a better musician. Since it's limited in many ways it makes me concentrate on the music rather technique.

• Another happy 12.9 2017 owner here, just got one last Friday :)
    Great size for music apps. :)

• Had the 10.5 since it dropped
    Was a little annoying with the audio glitches early on but that seems all fine now in iOS 11
    I’m going 12” next time!
    My $2000 iMac has been collecting dust

NO REGERTS