Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Beatmaker 3 v3.0.6 issue with AU window sometimes missing

Hi,
when opening an AU generator on a pad, for example, tapping on "Plugin" and then on the AU icon, a proper view of the AU window on top and the keyboard on the bottom.
As soon as I add a sample to play simultaneously with the AU synth, I can hear both playing correctly but when I try to open that AU+keyboard view again, suddenly only a larger keyboard is shown, with 8 macro controls on top.
Can anyone please tell me how to make the AU+keyboard view visible again?
Enabling or disabling keys on pad 1 does not change anything btw.
Of course I have first searched through the intua forum but I've only found trivial answers that don't cover what I'm stuck at. Maybe it 's a bug?
Thanks @all

Comments

• what's a generator? if it's a synth, then i think it 'might' be one or the other not both (synth+sample) . you can link pads tho.

• Had the same thing happen to me yesterday. I just turned my iPad on and off again and plugin window came up again when I opened BM3. It wasn’t just for AUs, it was for IAA as well.

• @mrcanister said:
    what's a generator? if it's a synth, then i think it 'might' be one or the other not both (synth+sample) . you can link pads tho.

IAA Generator (only outputs audio to the host, midi needs to be configured manually).
    IAA Instrument (app can send midi and midi is in most cases auto-configured and in sync).

Depending on how IAA is implemented in the app it may need to be launched first before a host can connect to it.

• Well I have have come to the unfortunate conclusion that this version of BM3 does not work that well with plugins. I have had multiple issues with screens disappearing and crashes. I’m bummed as I was really digging Bm3. As my good friend Captain Sample says just sample them plugins and work it. Lol.

• edited December 2017

@rs2000 said:
    Hi,
    when opening an AU generator on a pad, for example, tapping on "Plugin" and then on the AU icon, a proper view of the AU window on top and the keyboard on the bottom.
    As soon as I add a sample to play simultaneously with the AU synth, I can hear both playing correctly but when I try to open that AU+keyboard view again, suddenly only a larger keyboard is shown, with 8 macro controls on top.
    Of course I have first searched through the intua forum but I've only found trivial answers that don't cover what I'm stuck at. Maybe it 's a bug?
    @AlleycatLA

Yes I know what you mean and it seems to be a bug where the sampler keyboard is favored over the AU window.

Here we have Zeeon and a sample on the same pad but it is no longer possible to access Zeeon.

• I try to avoid IAA as a plague and focus on sampling and AUv3 'synths'.
    In worst case I can always export/record the audio from the other apps and chop it up :)

• edited December 2017

@Samu said:
    I try to avoid IAA as a plague and focus on sampling and AUv3 'synths'.
    In worst case I can always export/record the audio from the other apps and chop it up :)

Well, as IAAs won't show up with a native UI in BM3, I focused on AU instruments anyway.
    So this seems to be a serious bug indeed.
    I'll file it as such on the Intua forum, hopefully the response will be somewhat faster this time.
    Thank you for your answers guys!

• edited December 2017

@rs2000 said:

@Samu said:
    I try to avoid IAA as a plague and focus on sampling and AUv3 'synths'.

Well, as IAAs won't show up with a native UI in BM3, I focused on AU instruments anyway.
    So this seems to be a serious bug indeed.
    I'll file it as such on the Intua forum, hopefully the response will be somewhat faster this time.
    Thank you for your answers guys!

As @mrcanister mentioned (thanks for the tip!) you can link pads which should give you even more flexibility and be a better solution anyway. Note how each pad is set to Link Group 1. Just tried it and both pads play at the same time, same notes. So it does not seem like a serious bug really, unless I am missing something.

(PS. Strange how all this IAA talk got into the thread. I guess the word ‘generator’ may have done it.)

• edited December 2017

@rs2000 said:
    Hi,
    Thanks @all

Thanks so much for posting this. I only just bought BM3 in the recent sale, and thought that this was user error on my part. The funny thing is i thought i had worked out how to stop this happening..........obviously not.......it's a bug. Apart from this small irritation, i am hugely impressed with Beatmaker 3, AU synths & Fx on the iPad suddenly make sense to me, and with IAA integration as well this is an amazing app. Really glad i bought it, been a bit of an eye opener really.........

• having both on the same pad-i not sure whether its a bug or not. maybe it's the way it's coded and might need to be a feature request??
    so what is animoog, both a generator and instrument? must say i do prefer IAA to AU. i'm old school :smile:
    isem and animoog don't seem to sync when hosted by bm3 as IAA. didn't expect them too but would be nice. i've got to use link to midi app for my emx, so tis all good
    @gosnote no worries. re-routing midi was how i discovered the link feature.
    BM3, pretty sweet and stable for me. enjoying it

• OK, I see that I'd better use Apple's proper definitions of AU types:

For audio creation:
    A generator unit creates audio according to a digital signal processing (DSP) algorithm that you provide.
    An instrument unit creates audio, typically using a voice bank, in response to MIDI events.

For audio modification:
    An effect unit modifies audio according to a DSP algorithm.
    A music effect unit modifies audio, using DSP, in response to MIDI events.

@mrcanister said:
    having both on the same pad-i not sure whether its a bug or not. maybe it's the way it's coded and might need to be a feature request??

So if it's the way it is coded then I don't understand the logic behind it - shouldn't I be able to use AU and IAA instruments together with samples on the same pad?.
    And shouldn't I be able to use AU or IAA effects on a pad to process samples in the same pad chain without having to switch to the mixer?
    At least BM3 presents it this way: A "PLUGIN" tab at the end of the pad chain.
    What do you guys think?

so what is animoog, both a generator and instrument? must say i do prefer IAA to AU. i'm old school :smile:
    isem and animoog don't seem to sync when hosted by bm3 as IAA. didn't expect them too but would be nice. i've got to use link to midi app for my emx, so tis all good

IAA is not dead for various reasons:
    Many apps still don't support AU at all,
    Some of the ones that do won't fully work with every AU host,
    For older iDevices, IAA is often the only option, and
    IAA can be a great (and often the only) option until AU is supported by most apps and most musicians have upgraded to recent iDevices.
    Although AU support is a very welcome step forward, quite a few developers seem to struggle or simply refuse to update their current apps with AU support unfortunately.

Even GarageBand supports IAA. If it didn't, it would exclude a lot of effects and instruments.

• @rs2000 said:
    OK, I see that I'd better use Apple's proper definitions of AU types:

For audio creation:
    A generator unit creates audio according to a digital signal processing (DSP) algorithm that you provide.
    An instrument unit creates audio, typically using a voice bank, in response to MIDI events.

For audio modification:
    An effect unit modifies audio according to a DSP algorithm.
    A music effect unit modifies audio, using DSP, in response to MIDI events.

@mrcanister said:
    having both on the same pad-i not sure whether its a bug or not. maybe it's the way it's coded and might need to be a feature request??

So if it's the way it is coded then I don't understand the logic behind it - shouldn't I be able to use AU and IAA instruments together with samples on the same pad?.
    And shouldn't I be able to use AU or IAA effects on a pad to process samples in the same pad chain without having to switch to the mixer?
    At least BM3 presents it this way: A "PLUGIN" tab at the end of the pad chain.
    What do you guys think?

IAA is not dead for various reasons:
    Many apps still don't support AU at all,
    Some of the ones that do won't fully work with every AU host,
    For older iDevices, IAA is often the only option, and
    IAA can be a great (and often the only) option until AU is supported by most apps and most musicians have upgraded to recent iDevices.
    Although AU support is a very welcome step forward, quite a few developers seem to struggle or simply refuse to update their current apps with AU support unfortunately.

Even GarageBand supports IAA. If it didn't, it would exclude a lot of effects and instruments.

Hmmmm...

FX (which can be either AU and IAA) go on top of entire banks (which contain one or more pads).

• edited December 2017

Works for me! What exactly is it you want to do in terms of specific apps/plugins?

• Thank you @AudioGus, you're right, indeed I missed that part.

What remains is the inability to load and edit an IAA or AU instrument when I have a sample loaded on the pad I'm working at. I really believe that when opening the PLUGIN view, instead of showing macro controls above the keyboard, either the IAA icon or the AU edit panel should be shown above the keyboard, just like when no sample is loaded.
    Both sample and instrument play simultaneously, so I'm sure it works as @mathieugarcia has designed it, only I cannot edit the instruments anymore when a sample is loaded.

I hope my description is clear enough now.