Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Solved: Setting up 2 ROLI Lightpad Blocks

edited December 2017 in General App Discussion

Currently I am using 2 ROLI Lightpad Blocks, I am planning to use 1 more, if I can get my question resolved.
One 1st generation Lightpad and one Lightpad Block M.
On my Mac, using the ROLI Blocks Dashboard software, I tried to set it up in a certain way and I just can't figure out, how to do it.
I would like to do the following:
Lightpad on the left side: Melodic Mode 5x5 grid in C Major. Notes starting with C on the lower left.
-> C - D - E in the lower row
Lightpad on the right side: Melodic Mode 5x5 grid in C Major. Notes starting with F on the lower left.
F - G - A in the lower row
This way I would like to play 1 sound patch with my MPE-compatible synths, having an extended range on the right side compared to just using 1 Block. For me, this would somehow be similar to a guitar layout, which also has more than 5 frets, as a Lightpad has it - well, if you wanna look at it this way :-)
But I wasn't able to give both Blocks the setting as desired.
One Block was connected by USB-cable, the second one was connected to the first one, same behavior when connected by Bluetooth.
Interesting point: When I attach them vertically, the scale continues in a correct way up and the total range with 2 Blocks together is about 4 octaves. So, the lower Block goes from C1 to C3 and the upper Block starts at C#3.
Attaching them horizontically gives the second block the same layout as when attached vertically.

Other setups work fine, like setting them up with 2 different modes, like in this pic.

Comments

• Maybe the issue is because both lightpad Blocks are different ? My seaboard blocks connect perfectly in terms of octaves but they're identical units...

• @gonekrazy3000 said:
    Maybe the issue is because both lightpad Blocks are different ? My seaboard blocks connect perfectly in terms of octaves but they're identical units...

So when you attach them horizontically, they give you a sensefull layout, different from attaching them vertically?

• @teleb said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:
    Maybe the issue is because both lightpad Blocks are different ? My seaboard blocks connect perfectly in terms of octaves but they're identical units...

So when you attach them horizontically, they give you a sensefull layout, different from attaching them vertically?

I haven't tried attaching them vertically to be honest. But horizontally it goes from left to right. Shifting octaves on one automatically moves the other. And changing the sensitivity of one using a touch block also changes the settings of the other one.

• @gonekrazy3000 said:

@teleb said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

I haven't tried attaching them vertically to be honest. But horizontally it goes from left to right. Shifting octaves on one automatically moves the other. And changing the sensitivity of one using a touch block also changes the settings of the other one.

Thanks for the feedback.
    If you happen to feel like trying it. I would be interested how attaching them horizontally behaves in your setup.

• @teleb @gonekrazy3000 is saying that it works horizontally for him.

• @fattigman said:
    @teleb @gonekrazy3000 is saying that it works horizontally for him.

O, I see. I Was blind somehow o:)
    So I bet it's because they are not the same models. Well, I'll see when my Songmaker Kit arrives, which includes a Lightpad Block M. I assume 2 M-Lightpads will behave nicely.

• @teleb I saw your note in the other thread. I'll check it out when I get home tonight and see if I can get it working the way you described. I know it works the way you described vertically but can't remember if I ever set them horizontally. There shouldn't be a difference between them since they're running the same firmware and modified in the same way by the same blocks dashboard software.

• @robertreynolds said:
    @teleb I saw your note in the other thread. I'll check it out when I get home tonight and see if I can get it working the way you described. I know it works the way you described vertically but can't remember if I ever set them horizontally. There shouldn't be a difference between them since they're running the same firmware and modified in the same way by the same blocks dashboard software.

Great, thanks in advance for taking care of me :smile:

• @teleb said:
    Currently I am using 2 ROLI Lightpad Blocks, I am planning to use 1 more, if I can get my question resolved.
    One 1st generation Lightpad and one Lightpad Block M.
    On my Mac, using the ROLI Blocks Dashboard software, I tried to set it up in a certain way and I just can't figure out, how to do it.
    I would like to do the following:
    Lightpad on the left side: Melodic Mode 5x5 grid in C Major. Notes starting with C on the lower left.
    -> C - D - E in the lower row
    Lightpad on the right side: Melodic Mode 5x5 grid in C Major. Notes starting with F on the lower left.
    F - G - A in the lower row
    This way I would like to play 1 sound patch with my MPE-compatible synths, having an extended range on the right side compared to just using 1 Block. For me, this would somehow be similar to a guitar layout, which also has more than 5 frets, as a Lightpad has it - well, if you wanna look at it this way :-)
    But I wasn't able to give both Blocks the setting as desired.
    One Block was connected by USB-cable, the second one was connected to the first one, same behavior when connected by Bluetooth.
    Interesting point: When I attach them vertically, the scale continues in a correct way up and the total range with 2 Blocks together is about 4 octaves. So, the lower Block goes from C1 to C3 and the upper Block starts at C#3.
    Attaching them horizontically gives the second block the same layout as when attached vertically.

Other setups work fine, like setting them up with 2 different modes, like in this pic.

I’m still testing but it looks like it can be done setting the application on each to “Note Grid” using the Blocs Dashboard. I have them connected, side-by-side, power buttons facing down, left pad connected via usb cable.

What I’m not sure of is the difference between the default melodic app and the factory note grid app.

• Now, I understood, that this will work only when Note Grid is selected in the Dashboard. I got it working now.
    I assumed this would also work when loading "Melodic Block" and it doesn't work when this one is loaded.
    Since both are resulting in a 5x5 grid, I assumed they'd both be able to do what I wanted.

• But I still assume that it is a bug, that it doesn't work when "Melodic Block" is active.
    As far as I can see, it doesn't make sense that this should not be working in this mode. And it works in this mode, when attaching them vertically. Only wlhen attaching them horizontally it doesn't work,