Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Blocs Wave or ReSlice?

Hello friends. Essentially I’m going to use it to slice up a spoken piece and play the edited sections back on command as an instrumental runs in the background.
So I’ll want to “trim” the slices precisely.
It looks like they both import from AudioShare but does either import from music library or other sources?
Thanks in advance for your responses.

Comments

• edited November 2017

I would not go with either and just get Beatmaker 3.

• edited November 2017

@AudioGus said:

Yes. There will be much more app than you need, but the slicing and the assigning to pads for each vocal phrase — BM3 is what you want.

Blocs wave and reslice are only going to piss you off.

• @ExAsperis99 said:

@AudioGus said:

Yes. There will be much more app than you need, but the slicing and the assigning to pads for each vocal phrase — BM3 is what you want.

Going to piss me off because they fall short of expectations? Like with the editing capabilities?
    I took a look at BM3 in the App Store and yeah that looks like a lot more than I need.
    There are options like editing in AudioShare then opening in Samplebot or even Firo but extra steps tends to be a buzzkill.

• Blocs Wave will let you do what you describe, and add many other samples to your mix. Yours or theirs, as you please. Up to 8 x 6 banks.

Re-slice has far better controls for messing around with samples.

Why not get both. You won’t be sorry.

• Blocs Wave doesn't let you adjust slice points, so it probably won't work out for slicing accurately. If you are just slicing around naturally occurring phrases of dialogue, I would just use AudioShare to chop up the longer recordings into the required phrases. Then you can load those into any sample playback app you already have.

ReSlice might be able to do it all in one app and avoid the buzzkill of extra steps, but I just bought it yesterday and am not in a position to advise on how easy or hard it would be to achieve your goal. Really it seems like it is going to require roughly the same amount of work however you do it, but you might be able to find a way that requires less apps being involved and do it in one app.

• edited November 2017

@Ben said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

@AudioGus said:

Going to piss me off because they fall short of expectations? Like with the editing capabilities?
    I took a look at BM3 in the App Store and yeah that looks like a lot more than I need.
    There are options like editing in AudioShare then opening in Samplebot or even Firo but extra steps tends to be a buzzkill.

I think you have very similar aspirations to mine. And I’ve been searching for the right workflow for ages. For me, BM3 comes closest.

Let’s say you want to take a few lines of dialogue and rearrange them. You want precise control of where each sample begins and ends. Blocs and ReSlice CAN be made to work, but neither has the fine audio editing I think you’re after. And the slicing that each of those apps excels in tends to reward glitchy rhythmic phrases. I personally wish BM3 was just an AU sampler; I really don’t need the rest of it. But it is what it is. And it’s on sale.

Which is not to say that the other apps aren’t great, Blocs especially.

• If you just need to trim and trigger some audio clips from the screen, I personally would use AudioShare only. Make a folder full of the trimmed pieces and you will thereby have a labeled list of parts to click on and trigger as needed. If you need to trigger the clips via MIDI then I guess BeatMaker3, good price right now but set aside a week to learn it.

• edited November 2017

I honestly wouldnt buy any apps from @AmpifyxNovation anymore. They clearly don't want you using your own samples specially since they literally haven't given us proper ways to organise stuff YEARS after launch. Heck Their newest app doesn't even let you save presets after you buy the 'full unlock' iaps. And the first addition they add to Blocs after such a long period of no updates ? An EQ iap. Sigh

Another problem is you cannot reliably backup your projects or move them to another device. Which makes it practically useless now.

I've since deleted all their apps from my iOS devices. I honestly tried to be patient. But I don't want to die of old age before they give us basic functionality.

Reslice is a fantastic tool for chopping loops into arpreggiated rhythmic pieces. Not sure it's the functionality you want but it's awesome.

Bm3 is definitely one of the better apps for chopping samples currently.

• When I reas the description of the task ReSlice was the one come to my mind.
    Blocs isn’t the better tool to launch chops and BM3 maybe too much.
    Also Samplr could be an option?

• +1 for BM2 or BM3

• edited November 2017

@audiorangutan said:
    If you just need to trim and trigger some audio clips from the screen, I personally would use AudioShare only. Make a folder full of the trimmed pieces and you will thereby have a labeled list of parts to click on and trigger as needed. If you need to trigger the clips via MIDI then I guess BeatMaker3, good price right now but set aside a week to learn it.

On second thought, just triggering audio files from a folder in AudioShare will leave you unable to fine tune the volume and pan of each clip. Best to go with Beatmaker. ReSlice is for small files.

• You can do what you want with either blocs wave or reslice, I have used both for this in the past, of the 2 blocs is my preference although it require accurate playing of the slicer due to lack of accurate editing of slice end points, still on the fence with bm3.

• reslice is a really well featured app. blocs wave is to fun to mess with but has practically no feature set. good fun tho

• edited November 2017

@audiorangutan said:

@audiorangutan said:
    If you just need to trim and trigger some audio clips from the screen, I personally would use AudioShare only. Make a folder full of the trimmed pieces and you will thereby have a labeled list of parts to click on and trigger as needed. If you need to trigger the clips via MIDI then I guess BeatMaker3, good price right now but set aside a week to learn it.

On second thought, just triggering audio files from a folder in AudioShare will leave you unable to fine tune the volume and pan of each clip. Best to go with Beatmaker. ReSlice is for small files.

On third though, Ben is asking about Blocs Wave or ReSlice. So between those two I would definitely choose Blocs Wave, but with reservations.
    Blocs imports from AudioCopy or the iOS file system (so access to AudioShare and Dropbox etc.) You get 6 banks of 8 clips to fill up and it’s very easy to zoom into the wave and crop the section of speech you want. Just be sure to start your project at about 200 bpm and import your speech clip at 200 bpm so that you get enough granularity on the timeline to fine tune your crop markers. HUGE PROBLEM with doing this in Blocs Wave is that there is no way that I can find to make a clip not loop. So the only way I can think of to trigger your clips come performance time is to select the clip you want to hear next, then hit the transport play button to hear it, then stop the play button before the clip loops, select the next clip and press play again, etc. pretty awkward. So really I think Blocs is only good for the trimming, then you need to export the trims to another app (Beatmaker) to perform them.
    ReSlice is just not practical for this application. You cannot zoom into the wave to fine tune the slice points, and if you have a decent chunk of speech to chop up, this could be very hard. Also you only get 32 slices and you can’t export the slices. If you trigger the slices from the screen it will pitch the slice based on where you touch, so not good for this. If you only want to chop up 8 second clips and trigger them with MIDI it would work.
    EDIT: I was wrong about ReSlice. Actually you can zoom into the wave to fine tune the slice markers, and you can export the slices. What a dope. This is actually a really good option for this task providing your audio clip isn’t huge and you trigger from MIDI.

• Exactly right @audiorangutan
    But in every case Blocs or ReSlice needs a workaround. I have actually found the workflow for slicing dialogue to be best in either iMaschine or iMPCPro, but still, in the end he will need to arrange the samples in a DAW. So that’s either BM3 or Cubasis or Auria or Garageband. And BM3 has the best sampler on iOS.

• What about trying Samplebot, should work perfectly for triggering your samples! :)

• @audiorangutan said:

@audiorangutan said:

@audiorangutan said:

On third though, Ben is asking about Blocs Wave or ReSlice. So between those two I would definitely choose Blocs Wave, but with reservations.
    Blocs imports from AudioCopy or the iOS file system (so access to AudioShare and Dropbox etc.) You get 6 banks of 8 clips to fill up and it’s very easy to zoom into the wave and crop the section of speech you want. Just be sure to start your project at about 200 bpm and import your speech clip at 200 bpm so that you get enough granularity on the timeline to fine tune your crop markers. HUGE PROBLEM with doing this in Blocs Wave is that there is no way that I can find to make a clip not loop. So the only way I can think of to trigger your clips come performance time is to select the clip you want to hear next, then hit the transport play button to hear it, then stop the play button before the clip loops, select the next clip and press play again, etc. pretty awkward. So really I think Blocs is only good for the trimming, then you need to export the trims to another app (Beatmaker) to perform them.
    ReSlice is just not practical for this application. You cannot zoom into the wave to fine tune the slice points, and if you have a decent chunk of speech to chop up, this could be very hard. Also you only get 32 slices and you can’t export the slices. If you trigger the slices from the screen it will pitch the slice based on where you touch, so not good for this. If you only want to chop up 8 second clips and trigger them with MIDI it would work.

Just export to Launchpad and edit there the trigger mode to one shot.

• Samplebot for value plus accuracy I reckon.

• Just get BM3 while it's on sale. Reslice may get you most of the way there but you'll eventually just wish you had the power and ease of BM3--it's the best iOS chopper by a mile.

• BenBen
    edited November 2017

Helpful input everyone. Thanks for taking the time. I think ultimately listening to what everyone had to say that neither is the ideal choice.
    @ExAsperis99, arranging the samples in a DAW is no issue for me. They’ll likely end up in Loopy or GTL then mixed down to GB.
    @Keenan and @gusgranite, I think you guys are right. I likely have my answer already.
    Samplebot is surprisingly accurate with trimming. Worse case scenario I could import the whole piece, trim it, save the section then import the piece again and so on.
    Then save the chopped dialogue as a project.
    Extra steps but effective.
    @lukesleepwalker, BM3 definitely has a lot to offer but a bit much for my needs.
    I’m a simple bass player still struggling with learning how to program sequencers and arpeggiators. Hell, when I discovered copy and paste it changed my life.
    That was 2 weeks ago

• @Ben said:
    Helpful input everyone. Thanks for taking the time. I think ultimately listening to what everyone had to say that neither is the ideal choice.
    @ExAsperis99, arranging the samples in a DAW is no issue for me. They’ll likely end up in Loopy or GTL then mixed down to GB.
    @Keenan and @gusgranite, I think you guys are right. I likely have my answer already.
    Samplebot is surprisingly accurate with trimming. Worse case scenario I could import the whole piece, trim it, save the section then import the piece again and so on.
    Then save the chopped dialogue as a project.
    Extra steps but effective.
    @lukesleepwalker, BM3 definitely has a lot to offer but a bit much for my needs.
    I’m a simple bass player still struggling with learning how to program sequencers and arpeggiators. Hell, when I discovered copy and paste it changed my life.
    That was 2 weeks ago

Oh if you don’t need to sequence it, then yeah, Samplebot!

• @Dubbylabby said:

@audiorangutan said:

@audiorangutan said:

@audiorangutan said:

Just export to Launchpad and edit there the trigger mode to one shot.

Perfect!

• @audiorangutan
    ReSlice is just not practical for this application. You cannot zoom into the wave to fine tune the slice points

sure you can. long hold and bob's yr uncle

• @mrcanister said:
    @audiorangutan
    ReSlice is just not practical for this application. You cannot zoom into the wave to fine tune the slice points

sure you can. long hold and bob's yr uncle

Nice! Thanks for the correction, I was hopping I was wrong. I’m often not finding features hidden behind a long press.

• ...and you can’t export the slices. ...

Just a remark: This is possible - tap on the share button then you can select either single slices or all slices for export.

• edited November 2017

I like Blocs Wave because it’s so easy to get something cool going and muting/unmuting loops to create something interesting sounding while recording it. Also super simple to export to Launchpad where I can apply the effects.

Just got ReSlice the other day and am really digging the arp. So easy to get something going melody/groove-wise.

I have trimmed samples in BM3 but haven’t done any slicing yet. I think I’ll do that today after reading posts in this thread praising BM3.

Also bought Egoist this week but haven’t done much with it yet but the little I did with it was fun, especially with the effects sequencer.

• @VirSyn said:

...and you can’t export the slices. ...

Just a remark: This is possible - tap on the share button then you can select either single slices or all slices for export.

I didn't know that either! Great.

• @VirSyn said:

...and you can’t export the slices. ...

Gosh, Sorry for the misinformation! That’s great news!

• edited November 2017

Well, I was all kinds of wrong about ReSlice. What a dope, try spending a few more days with an app before you comment on it. :blush:
    Actually you can zoom into the waveform to fine tune the slice markers, and you can export the slices. So ReSlice is actually a really good option for this task providing 32 slices is sufficient.
    Ok i shut up now.

• @audiorangutan said:
    Well, I was all kinds of wrong about ReSlice. What a dope, try spending a few more days with an app before you comment on it. :blush:
    Actually you can zoom into the waveform to fine tune the slice markers, and you can export the slices. So ReSlice is actually a really good option for this task providing 32 slices is sufficient.
    Ok i shut up now.

When someone is wrong and is corrected, we all learn from it. So thanks for being wrong this time! :)