Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Xequence midi sequencer ?

Comments

• Opposites attract :)
    It’s meant to be, I know I’m dreaming :D

__> @SevenSystems said:

@j_liljedahl said:
    Since AUM 1.2.3, it should pass on single byte messages to AUs (like start/stop/clock). But I’d be surprised if there are any AU plugin out there that listens to midi clock! There simply is no reason to, the host already provides a real transport clock for syncing.

Yeah, that's what I thought the moment I submitted my post. They all just rely on host sync... so the correct way to handle this would be to make Xequence slave to the host (AUM), as you mention. However, as you probably have experienced yourself, slaving is much harder than being the master (just like in the real world :D ), so we didn't implement this yet.

But Link should probably solve most of these issues, and implementation-wise, it doesn't present quite as many problems as full MIDI sync slaving.

@MusicMan4Christ said:
    I think AUM and Xequence marriage would be perfect.

I had similar thoughts during development, as Xequence represents exactly those parts that AUM is missing... but the two user interface approaches are very different. (AUM: sexy carribean swipey-up-down-left-right Beach. Xequence: "Throw in a button for every feature".) ;) But the two complement each other well as it is...

• @hellquist said:

@j_liljedahl said:
    Could you make Xequence as an IAA app? Then it could sync to its host, even if it just produces silent audio.

I asked exactly that in another thread and the answer then was that Xequence can only be the master, and that it would be easier to implement Link rather than clock slaving.

I'm not sure I buy that argument :) There's really not much difference between Link and host sync. http://lijon.github.io/ios_audio_sync.html

• @SevenSystems said:

@j_liljedahl said:
    Since AUM 1.2.3, it should pass on single byte messages to AUs (like start/stop/clock). But I’d be surprised if there are any AU plugin out there that listens to midi clock! There simply is no reason to, the host already provides a real transport clock for syncing.

Yeah, that's what I thought the moment I submitted my post. They all just rely on host sync... so the correct way to handle this would be to make Xequence slave to the host (AUM), as you mention. However, as you probably have experienced yourself, slaving is much harder than being the master (just like in the real world :D ), so we didn't implement this yet.

But Link should probably solve most of these issues, and implementation-wise, it doesn't present quite as many problems as full MIDI sync slaving.

Link would not solve following start/stop transport state. MIDI sync is arcane and very difficult to implement. I'm talking about host sync, the standard way for AU plugins to sync to their host, and also the standard for IAA even though it hasn't really been implemented by all IAA apps. Host sync is not much different than Link, so please take a moment to investigate it :)

@MusicMan4Christ said:
    I think AUM and Xequence marriage would be perfect.

I had similar thoughts during development, as Xequence represents exactly those parts that AUM is missing... but the two user interface approaches are very different. (AUM: sexy carribean swipey-up-down-left-right Beach. Xequence: "Throw in a button for every feature".) ;) But the two complement each other well as it is...

As an IAA node with host sync they would be a great combo :) You could make it output a metronome click or something just to have some audio.

• @j_liljedahl said:
    I'm not sure I buy that argument :) There's really not much difference between Link and host sync.

http://lijon.github.io/ios_audio_sync.html

I might have told you before, but that is a great, clear and concise article that. Good stuff!

• edited November 2017

Here's a quick video showing Xequence controlling SunVox (works with up to 16 modules independently, with automation of up to 3 parameters per module):

• As everything stands right now, what's the best way to get AUM and Xequencer to start at the exact same time? Struggling to get a song working that has Elastic Drums patterns alongside several Xequence tracks and maybe a Xynthesizer at some point.

• @gleandibson said:
    As everything stands right now, what's the best way to get AUM and Xequencer to start at the exact same time? Struggling to get a song working that has Elastic Drums patterns alongside several Xequence tracks and maybe a Xynthesizer at some point.

I'm kind of wondering the same thing right now. Initially I was tempted to pick up Cubasis or AP but instead I used that money to buy a variety of AU synth and effects. Also grabbed Elastic Drums. I own BM3 and Modstep along with AUM. I love BM3 but tend to find issues and feel like I need to adjust my workflow to become more efficient in it. Modstep isn't bad but I've had some crashes and it doesn't seem to get updated often. Rozeta has been a lot of fun but I'd like to easily be able to trigger multiple notes simultaneously and have a more traditional workflow. Have my eyes on Xequence and Xynthesizr. Can't come to a decision.

• edited November 2017

@gleandibson @rezidue -- as it currently stands, AUM cannot slave to MIDI clock, thus it is not possible to sync apps hosted in AUM to Xequence's clock.

HOWEVER :) Ableton Link is currently being integrated into Xequence, and that should solve all these problems. Give us approx. 2 - 3 more weeks for the update B)

(apart from that, the next update will also have Files App integration on iOS 11, controller ramping with various curves etc., and mirroring / flipping of notes and controllers...)

• @SevenSystems said:
    @gleandibson @rezidue -- as it currently stands, AUM cannot slave to MIDI clock, thus it is not possible to sync apps hosted in AUM to Xequence's clock.

HOWEVER :) Ableton Link is currently being integrated into Xequence, and that should solve all these problems. Give us approx. 2 - 3 more weeks for the update B)

(apart from that, the next update will also have Files App integration on iOS 11, controller ramping with various curves etc., and mirroring / flipping of notes and controllers...)

Awesome. Can't wait. Thanks for continuing to be so responsive on this forum.

• @gleandibson said:

@SevenSystems said:

Awesome. Can't wait. Thanks for continuing to be so responsive on this forum.

+1 :)

• @SevenSystems said:

Actually it's pretty easy to slave Aum or any ableton link only app to midi clock. Just use midi link sync. And use it's midi=>link setting. It's how I slave AUM and all my link apps to my beatstep pro.

• @gonekrazy3000 said:
    Actually it's pretty easy to slave Aum or any ableton link only app to midi clock. Just use midi link sync. And use it's midi=>link setting. It's how I slave AUM and all my link apps to my beatstep pro.

Thanks a lot, I had those "converter" apps in mind but wasn't sure if they worked in both ways. So, that should help @gleandibson @rezidue!

• @SevenSystems said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

Thanks a lot, I had those "converter" apps in mind but wasn't sure if they worked in both ways. So, that should help @gleandibson @rezidue!

It still won't fix wanting to start all apps simultaneously though. I really recommend you listen to @j_liljedahl suggestion. He is the developer of AUM. He knows what he's talking about. Between him and @brambos you should be able to get any issues you're having implementing features sorted in no time. IAA sync would be a real boon since for live performances you'd be able to start everything at the same time and not just tempo lock...

• Agree. These two Devs are simply amazing and helpful in sharing their experiences and knowledge. Love these guys!

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@SevenSystems said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

It still won't fix wanting to start all apps simultaneously though. I really recommend you listen to @j_liljedahl suggestion. He is the developer of AUM. He knows what he's talking about. Between him and @brambos you should be able to get any issues you're having implementing features sorted in no time. IAA sync would be a real boon since for live performances you'd be able to start everything at the same time and not just tempo lock...

• @SevenSystems With the lack of midi import in Xequence I’m trying to find a workaround using modstep.

• How do I record multiple tracks in Xequence from Modstep?
    • If I set up midi destination synths in Xequence can I then monitor that midi being recorded from modstep?

I’m confused on the difference between setting up instruments one one page and the difference on the sequencer page.

Do you have any comprehensive videos on how to use the app’s current feature set? Cheers.

• edited November 2017

@SevenSystems

I also have parts with midi notes recorded into them, this is visually confirmed on the sequencer view but when going in to edit the data the part displays no data, yet it reflects that they are there by highlighting the current played notes on the piano left hand side.

Do you have a list on your website of currently known bugs for Xequence? Thanks

• @SpookyZoo said:

• How do I record multiple tracks in Xequence from Modstep?

You currently cannot record multiple separate tracks simultaneously... the MIDI Input is really more geared towards using external keyboards / controllers for live playing and recording, not so much for "bulk importing" MIDI... as you correctly say, for this, a proper MIDI file import would be needed and if that's of any help: it will be the very next thing I'll do after Ableton Link is finished (currently working on that).

So currently, Xequence just merges all MIDI Input from all sources and channels onto the currently selected track.

• If I set up midi destination synths in Xequence can I then monitor that midi being recorded from modstep?

Yes, if you enable "MIDI Thru" in Xequence's settings, it will forward all MIDI it receives to the instrument on the currently selected track. (and of course also record it).

I’m confused on the difference between setting up instruments one one page and the difference on the sequencer page.

OK, no problem: instruments and tracks are completely separate. For every synth that you want to use, you setup an instrument. And for every instrument, you can setup any number of tracks in the sequencer, and point them to that instrument. This is so that you can "sort" your MIDI data (notes, controllers, etc.) onto separate tracks if desired. Another use case would be a drum kit that uses separate notes for hi hat, kick, and snare. You would create a single instrument that points to that drum synth, but could then create three separate tracks for your hi hat, kick and snare to keep them neatly organized.

Do you have any comprehensive videos on how to use the app’s current feature set? Cheers.

No videos I'm afraid, but there's the manual which covers all important concepts:

http://seven.systems/xequence/manual/

Let me know if I can clarify anything else!

• @SpookyZoo said:
    @SevenSystems

I also have parts with midi notes recorded into them, this is visually confirmed on the sequencer view but when going in to edit the data the part displays no data, yet it reflects that they are there by highlighting the current played notes on the piano left hand side.

Are you sure that the notes recorded are in the currently selected scale? If not, they won't be visible in the piano roll... can you go to the keyboard screen and then switch the scale to "Chromatic", then go back to the piano roll and check if they're now visible? (You might need to Zoom -> All)

Do you have a list on your website of currently known bugs for Xequence? Thanks

Sorry, there are no known bugs right now! :#

• Thanks for the help. Appreciated! :)

I'll check the scales for piano roll data.

• Midi in Auria Pro, while not impossible is, really difficult to work with when compared to Xequence! IMHO.

I really enjoyed creating midi tracks in Xequence which then drove Zeeon, Poison 202 in Auria pro. But what was really impressive was how the Transport controls in Xequence controlled Auria Pro. I really loved that so much! I even had Drum Session in AP and Xequence’s transport also controlled Drum Sessioni. Very impressive! I actually started enjoying that work flow. I might need to revisit my workflow now that I want to concentrate in AP. I really love Cubasis too, but i’ve never been able to master AP’s basics. I guess Xequence wil be so useful to tale care of the midi part when working with AP. Just my 2 cents...

• @SevenSystems

Hi,
    My instruments only respond when the transport is stopped. But when it’s playing i get nothing. If i use the built in keyboard all works as expected. But I’m using Chordmaps2 and I have MIDI thru activated in the settings. I can audition just fine when the transport is stopped. But if it’s playing I either get nothing or some stuck notes.

I’m able to repeat this problem trying two different hosts. At first i figured it was BM3 but the same happens if I use AUM. I made sure the host midi out was disabled as to prevent a loop back to xequence. I also tried different buffer settings in the host. Thank you.

BTW when your app was newer you fixed another problem i had with Chordmaps2. Only one note of chords were being recorded.
    I noticed the bug fix and i thank you for that.

• Not sure if this has been requested, but a plus /minus 10 (for example) option in the velocity page would be useful, for the recordings that were too quiet/loud. The range option is good, but I imagine that increases the difference between the loudest and quietest notes. (Obviously I haven’t read the manual yet!)

• edited January 2018

@Fitz: After selecting a few velocities, have you tried the vertical handle at the right screen edge? :) that shifts velocities up/down (while the "Range" options scale them, as you noticed.)

• Haa, i see! Clever. I normally love manuals but I also like to see how far I can get without one.

• @Fitz: We hate manuals too (both reading and writing them), so we tried to make everything as intuitive and discoverable as possible, at least for users who have experience with other DAWs.

• I’ve just read this whole thread, which has helped a lot. Audiobus community strikes again!

• Hello! I just bought Xequence basic version and I cannot record midi sustain in. Is this a known bug? I've checked the 3 threads the dabbler video and the manual but unless I missed it I see no topic. I've checked sustain note I'd coming in via kurzweil keyboard through a steinberg ur22 through an apple cck3. Cubasis and Gadget record the sustain just fine. I looked for a midi filter in the menus to no avail. Can anyone help?

• @Pavel said:
    Hello! I just bought Xequence basic version and I cannot record midi sustain in. Is this a known bug? I've checked the 3 threads the dabbler video and the manual but unless I missed it I see no topic. I've checked sustain note I'd coming in via kurzweil keyboard through a steinberg ur22 through an apple cck3. Cubasis and Gadget record the sustain just fine. I looked for a midi filter in the menus to no avail. Can anyone help?

Hello Pavel. This is easy to miss, Xequence only records those controllers (sustain is also a controller) that have actually been enabled on the corresponding instrument on the instruments screen.

Please tap on the little MIDI icon in the top left corner, go to the instrument's settings (cogwheel), then tap a free controller slot, and add "Sustain".

Your pedal should then be recorded correctly.

As many users struggle with this, we'll probably add an "Automatically add incoming controllers to instruments" feature in the next update.

• edited January 2018

Thanks for that @SevenSystems. I thought I tried changing controller 1 from modulation to foot 4 and sustain 64 but it still did not record sustain. This is what you mean? I'll try again tomorrow.

• @Pavel: Yes, that's what I meant. If it still doesn't record, then this might be a bug, would be nice if you could PM me then and I'd be glad to investigate further.