Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

ZOOM U 24...impressions

I though that I post my impressions of this audio interface that I finally broke down and bought it...if anyone is interested and looking for a decent interface with 2 in 4 out, and compatible with iOS 10.

First impression was the sound that came into my headphones just blew me away. Honestly. Like 3 dimensional and full, detailed sound that I never!! heard through (the same) headphones out of 3.5jack.

Now I understand what people were talking about with differences between the "headphones out" and lightning connection to external sound card.

U24 is instantly recognised in any app and gives choice of connection. I experimented with different hookups, like midi controllers BSPro and Edirol PCR 300.
They can be connected to midi in or into unpowered USB hub. Or combination of two.

I run it with RavPower 16000mA battery pack for few days now...and didn't notice much discharge, with 2 rechargeables of poor quality it lasted 3 hours.
The unit is pretty small, has a solid feel to it, including the pots and some are protected. It has a lot of panning, balancing between different inputs and outputs and headphones, muting etc...

What I don't like is that both inputs are mono. :/ I had the impression that #2 was in stereo.
Connection to iPad is with USB 2 to USB B type and it is a nice fit.

Anyway if anyone has any questions ask.
Cheers

Comments

• edited September 2016

Nice one, thanks @soundklinik. I've been eyeing this one since the release but I'm more interested in the u44 version even though from what I understand it doesn't have 4 inputs but only the ability to add via a 2 xlr attachment (correct me if I'm wrong).

The sound improvement you're hearing is probably the 24 bit depth. Should be more defined and sounds like it is! If it lasts 3 hours on run off the mill rechargeables I expect that will double on Sanyo eneloops.

Thanks for the heads up.

• You're welcome :)

I've been eyeing it for too long too....until I broke down...lol and so far I am very happy with it...fits my 2 controllers and audio out. 99£ is not a bad deal.

If you can manage with 2x 1/4" mono inputs, it's great.
    I don't use the 2 RCA A/B out, only master out...

You are correct with the extra 2 connections in u44, that is the deal..and there are several types of mic adapters...

Speaking about rechargeables, I went the whole hog including postage and got the La Crosse BC-700 charger and Fujitsu 2450mA batteries. (The test was done with dying NiMh batteries I'm trying to revive)
    The "smart" charger is very impressive, it has capabilities to test, discharge and lets you know the state of batteries.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Crosse-Technology-RS700UK-BLI-Universal-Battery/dp/B00Q6UDT06/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1474134911&sr=8-2&keywords=lacrosse+charger

Cheers

• @soundklinik said:
    First impression was the sound that came into my headphones just blew me away. Honestly. Like 3 dimensional and full, detailed sound that I never!! heard through (the same) headphones out of 3.5jack.

Now I understand what people were talking about with differences between the "headphones out" and lightning connection to external sound card.

I was gobsmacked and glowing when i first plugged in the Duo Capture and heard the difference. It makes such a huge difference when mixing! it really was an Ahah moment.

• U24 looks absolutely fantastic for the price and nothing comes close as far as audio + midi is concerned, especially with 4 outs and doubly so because of battery powered capability.

This is definitely my next hardware purchase.

• @supadom said:
    U24 looks absolutely fantastic for the price and nothing comes close as far as audio + midi is concerned, especially with 4 outs and doubly so because of battery powered capability.

I agree on the value for the money. I think the main question is the quality of the pre amps, yes?

• @supadom said:
    U24 looks absolutely fantastic for the price and nothing comes close as far as audio + midi is concerned, especially with 4 outs and doubly so because of battery powered capability.

yah had it been out when i was shopping for one i would have probably got it over the Duo Capture.

• edited September 2016

@supadom said:
    The sound improvement you're hearing is probably the 24 bit depth. Should be more defined and sounds like it is!

that's an urban legend, it just doesn't work that way.
    24bit covers sound levels below -90dB as that's what 16bit conversion cannot handle.
    No contemporary records exist to even remotely reach that range.

24bit is cool when tracking acoustic signals as it allows to shift almost silent parts into focus by simply adding digital gain without amplification of the quantization noise that a 16bit converter would produce by nature.
    You may try it yourself with Audioshare and the internal microphone of the iPad/iPhone.
    Audioshare can control the hardware (set to measurement mode) and the mic's gain and allows to set the bit depth to 16 or 24bits.

Another advantage would be tracking of a loud singer who changes from whisper to scream within a second, which would exceed the 16bit range with 100% probability.

And that's about it - there is NO perceivable difference in 'sound' ;)

• edited September 2016

@Telefunky said:

@supadom said:
    The sound improvement you're hearing is probably the 24 bit depth. Should be more defined and sounds like it is!

that's an urban legend, it just doesn't work that way.

No worries. So maybe it is the da converters on the output that made a good impression on @soundklinik. Whatever it is I'm finding this interface very very attractive. The size, for mobile use, cannot of course be underestimated either.

Seems to me that zoom have done their market research with this one having their fair share of the low cost field recording market.

• @supadom said:

I don't think you will be disappointed as far as sound and product quality goes. It is definitely not a cheap product.
    It offers some interesting routing/fading/direct monitoring depending on gear you use,...I needed a midi connection, good sound, some ins and outs and headphones out...in a small package

The components ARE Japanese, NOT Chinese, only assembled in China. Japanese have superior quality components, (I try never to buy Chinese rechargeable batteries)..

I am posting this as simple "heads up" I didn't find any feedback anywhere when I was looking and since it is made for iPad and iPhone and since I found it to be great gear I thought it could be useful to someone around these parts...

BTW, best deal is from a Dutch company called Bax-shop that has branches in France, UK, etc...
    5 years warranty and 2 months returns and free shipping
    Cheers

• I've not seen it mentioned, but does it charge your iPad with the DC power supply?

• edited September 2016

@Ben said:
    I've not seen it mentioned, but does it charge your iPad with the DC power supply?

No, it doesn't....just verified
    Come to think of it I would not want that anyway, I prefer natural battery cycles, if my iPad gets low, I use the new CCK cable that lets you charge and play.

• thanks for all this information, insta purchase!

• edited September 2016

Imho it's an interface like many others.
    An Alesis ioDock is just 20% more (+30€), but fully charges, without cable hazzle.
    (I've used the version one for some years and had the opportunity to compare it with an Audient ID22 that replaced it for microphone/instrument tracking)
    Considering the difference in price, the Alesis performed exceptionally well... of course not studio grade, but the U24 for shure isn't that either.

I bet U24 recordings will sound detailed with seemingly precise highs.
    But they will fail entirely on the 'body' of sound, few if any low mid definition, a flat tone.
    As that's what they all do and it's unlikely Zoom found the magic bullet just yesterday while everyone else doesn't have a clue.
    It's like boiling: you have to obey physics and use water...

And that's why you don't find this device much mentioned: it's simply average in a rather compact form factor - but not truely mobile.
    (if you picture the setup in a real world situation)
    Doesn't fit in a pocket for true 'on the go' stuff and tends to be moved by cable force.
    Mounted to a mic stand size doesn't matter much.
    Interface/dock solutions may look more bulky only at first sight.

Not to put the thing down (it perfectly fits the price range/quality one would expect), but it's far from exceptional.

• @Telefunky said:
    Imho it's an interface like many others.
    An Alesis ioDock is just 20% more (+30€), but fully charges, without cable hazzle.
    (I've used the version one for some years and had the opportunity to compare it with an Audient ID22 that replaced it for microphone/instrument tracking)
    Considering the difference in price, the Alesis performed exceptionally well... of course not studio grade, but the U24 for shure isn't that either.

I bet U24 recordings will sound detailed with seemingly precise highs.
    But they will fail entirely on the 'body' of sound, few if any low mid definition, a flat tone.
    As that's what they all do and it's unlikely Zoom found the magic bullet just yesterday while everyone else doesn't have a clue.
    It's like boiling: you have to obey physics and use water...

And that's why you don't find this device much mentioned: it's simply average in a rather compact form factor - but not truely mobile.
    (if you picture the setup in a real world situation)
    Doesn't fit in a pocket for true 'on the go' stuff and tends to be moved by cable force.
    Mounted to a mic stand size doesn't matter much.
    Interface/dock solutions may look more bulky only at first sight.

Not to put the thing down (it perfectly fits the price range/quality one would expect), but it's far from exceptional.

Horses for courses mate. I wouldn't touch iodock with a barge pole. I upgrade my iPads too often.

Also what makes you say that U24 isn't truly mobile? Does it have to fit in your shirt's pocket to fulfil that requirement?

Reminds me a bit of that building inspector who suggested I should have a flat roof on my extension because pitched one was the wrong style.

• I have the Alesis iodock 1 and Air2. The 30 pin to lightening adapter works fine and things had been going well until I Discovered that some apps like ampkit, amplitude and vocal apps will only work in one of the inputs. So if I want to use these apps I have to stop, switch cords..... nope.
    So, in the market for a new one that does what the Alesis did when it worked properly.
    The no charge while playing is kind of a deal breaker as the Air2 loses power quickly.
    I like the looks of the iconnect but I'm hearing that some are having problems?
    Sorry about sabotaging the thread, figured we were already on audio interfaces.
    Appreciate input.

• my 1st generation ioDock worked flawless with the iPad One, Two, Mini-Retina and Air-2 (lightning-to-30pin changer) and still does.
    It never failed on any audio app (I have > 100), but I lack those mentioned above...
    If an app defaults to channel one only then it's a flaw of that piece of software ;)

But my point is far from promoting the ioDock - I just found the price a good match if you need charging, it's available for ages and most likely is at least par on the input channels.
    (compared to vintage Telefunken and modern Audients side by side ... it's not bad at all)

@supadom I've explained it above why I consider it 'not portable' which is what the ad pictures suggest.
    Fully cabled the form factor doesn't matter, even less on a mic stand, which will define the space required.

• edited September 2016

The main reason i didn't consider the iodock is that i wanted more flexibility with being able to plug in other usb devices (laptop/tower). I find having two duo captures works great for constantly switching around my setup. they stack well on top of each other and have a relatively small footprint on the desk, something i now realise i could not do with two zooms. But hey, its all amazing stuff now anyway.

• edited September 2016

Ok, just a short note on a very good discovery. :)

I am running Model-15, Animoog and Patterning in AUM.
    Hardware : BeatStepPro into U-24.

Everything is in sync to BSP, I can turn the clock button on BSP and Patterning follows, the sequencer plays notes in 2 Moogs.

Reason for posting this is that I don't think I ever saw this pop up window in Patterning, (using BSP), never could sync BSP, (only manually and never changing time in real time and patterning didn't follow.)..
    Is this iOS 10 or the U24?
    In case made me smile :) ;)

• anyone know if it's possible to have one ios device connected to a behrenger u222 with optical going out and into a u44 connected to another ios device?

I JUST got a scarlett 2i4 for my bday but i think the zoom u44 is what i have been looking for.

the behrenger optical out to an interface with optical in. it hasnt been easy to find.

• also is there a dock compatible with ipad pro 12.9"?

• Meh... they ruined it when the put one of those 50yr old "has-been" 3.5mm headphone jacks on it. lol ;)

• Just got u-24 got my birthday (wink, wink). It is also great to see the run off the mill 5v micro USB power port just like those on android phones. One could always ask someone in the audience if they had one should yours pack up.

• Just received a zoom u-24 a couple days ago and spent about an hour trying to track down low grade distortion that i jeep hearing while running different budget synths. Finally figured out that it's on the headphone output. A low fizz accompanying low sounds. Switching to regular output on ipad i don't have the issue. Trying to find complaints of this online but see none. Anybody experience it?

• Trippy , my 44 sounds really clean and clear but then again I only do iPad through it

• @Gaia.Tree said:
    Trippy , my 44 sounds really clean and clear but then again I only do iPad through it

Noise is gone. Might be a loose wire. Tapped it a bit and all is good. Will probably open it up if it happens again.

• Got a U-24 thanks to reading this thread. It's a really great device, I couldn't be happier! Thanks for the tip :smile:

• @vpich said:

@Gaia.Tree said:
    Trippy , my 44 sounds really clean and clear but then again I only do iPad through it

Noise is gone. Might be a loose wire. Tapped it a bit and all is good. Will probably open it up if it happens again.

Just noticed i never followed up here. Sent it back to the store and zoom sent me a new one direct. No issues. It really is cool. Not using it anymore since i got the k-mix, listed it locally but no takers.

• @vpich said:

@vpich said:

@Gaia.Tree said:

Just noticed i never followed up here. Sent it back to the store and zoom sent me a new one direct. No issues. It really is cool. Not using it anymore since i got the k-mix, listed it locally but no takers.

It's surprising how underrated this interface is. I hope more people pick it up, it'd be a shame if it got discontinued. People don't know what they're missing! It has now replaced 4 devices I used to use together (USB Audio, preamp/mixer, DJ cueing, and MIDI USB interfaces), and does it all better than them for a lot cheaper. Really good sound quality, and can run on batteries. I couldn't ask for more.

• @vpich said:

@vpich said:

@Gaia.Tree said:

How do you like your k-mix? Have you used any of the midi control capabilities yet?