Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Comments

• edited November 2017

Hey everyone, I'm the developer of this app, thanks for the post!
    You can ask me anything or give me any feedback about it.

A little about ChordBud:

• It does not generate sound.
    • Sends MIDI to other apps like garageband (make sure they run in background with virtual midi in enabled).
    • Select MIDI outputs: could send midi to connected hardware or CoreMIDI network session.
    • Ableton Link Support.
    • Combines most important concepts when writing music:

• Harmonic fields of lots of scales.
      • Triads, 7th, 9th, 11th and 13th chords.
      • Modal Interchange.
      • Most common chord progressions.
      • Custom chord progression creation.
    • Super easy to use, two major screens:

• See the project with all tracks in it & edit on timeline in project screen.
      • Edit inputs on timeline, add notes or chords to track in track screen.
      • Press play to listen if you setup midi .
      • In track screen listen chords or notes before adding them to timeline.

http://keybudapp.com/chordbud

Thanks
    Cem

• Cem, beautifully done and from your description it sounds like many here will be interested. I don't suppose you have a video or two of ChordBud in action, do you?

• @cemolcay,please add ableton link.

• @cemolcay said:
    Hey everyone, I'm the developer of this app, thanks for the post!
    You can ask me anything or give me any feedback about it.

A little about ChordBud:

• It does not generate sound.
    • Sends MIDI to other apps like garageband (make sure they run in background with virtual midi in enabled)
    • Select MIDI outputs: could send midi to connected hardware or CoreMIDI network session
    • Combines most important concepts when writing music:

• Harmonic fields of lots of scales.
      • Triads, 7th, 9th, 11th and 13th chords
      • Modal Interchange
      • Most common chord progressions
      • Custom chord progression creation
    • Super easy to use, two major screens

• See the project with all tracks in it & edit on timeline in project screen.
      • Edit inputs on timeline, add notes or chords to track in track screen.
      • Press play to listen if you setup midi
      • In track screen listen chords or notes before adding them to timeline

http://keybudapp.com/chordbud

Thanks
    Cem

Any luck yet, fixing the crashes and sequencer play problem?

• edited November 2017

@Jumpercollins yup, today submitted new 1.0.1 version.
    Also I added you as a external test user. I'm waiting for Beta App Review team approve my external tests over testflight. When they approve, all external testers should recieve an email from testflight.
    I didn't get any crashes, hope you won't too :)

• Looks good but would need Link or MIDI file export for me to purchase.

• @Samplemunch said:
    Looks good but would need Link or MIDI file export for me to purchase.

Same here. Ableton link is a must have nowadays

• Ok, I will start working on it tomorrow.
    Any other "must have" ideas?

• Copy and paste please.

@cemolcay said:
    Ok, I will start working on it tomorrow.
    Any other "must have" ideas?

• edited November 2017

Right, I have planned adding more advanced features to time table like select multiple inputs and move them, copy & paste them in future updates.
    FYI, You can long press to tracks to duplicate them in project screen in ChordBud.
    Also, time table component is an open source project on: https://github.com/cemolcay/MIDITimeTableView
    I want to make it like an exact replica of garageband's time table, pull requests are welcome btw :)

• Looks cool and easy to use. Have a lot of chord apps already but gonna pick this one up because I :heart: that you've open sourced the guts. Good luck with it!

• edited November 2017

Downloading now. +1 on link and video. Have you sent a promo code to the mighty Doug @thesoundtestroom? Feel like Apple should just make that a part of their music app submission guidelines at this point. :smile:

I'll find out soon enough but may as well ask here in case other folks are interested. Is it possible to send different tracks to different ports?

• edited November 2017

MIDI Outputs are global for all tracks in the projects right now. I didn't make outputs selectable trackwise because you can assign different MIDI channels to tracks, so, technically you should send MIDI to different ports over MIDI channels, but of course, if you want me to add it as a next feature, I would happy to add it on my roadmap :)

EDIT:

@syrupcore said:
    Downloading now. +1 on link and video. Have you sent a promo code to the mighty Doug @thesoundtestroom? Feel like Apple should just make that a part of their music app submission guidelines at this point. :smile:

Nope, I haven't yet. But PM me if anyone wants a promo code.
    I'm waiting for a 1.0.1 version update, which would likely be in the store tomorrow, it fixes a crash, then I will ask folks who are review music apps.

• I dont need a code thank you. Id rather buy it to support the dev - after Link is implemented :)

• Thanks for the heads-up. Looks interesting.

And is cheap and universal.

• Bought to support. I'm a chord-a-holic.

• Only getting option to delete.

@cemolcay said:FYI, You can long press to tracks to duplicate them in project screen in ChordBud.

• Is there a panic button? Had a nice thing going with Zeeon and deleted a note but it kept playing. Could not find a way to stop it. Had to kill both apps.

• Yeah, I mean long press the track headers, my bad.

I just realized that I didn't mention it in the tutorial. Added to version 1.0.1.
    Next versions will have ableton link, midi export and more advanced timetable editing.
    Also, I'm going to make a brief video about how to use it, thanks guys :)

• Did you experience any frame drops? Maybe your touch events kind of stuck at that point. It is a good idea to add a "stop all midi events" kind of a button.

@Chaztrip said:
    Is there a panic button? Had a nice thing going with Zeeon and deleted a note but it kept playing. Could not find a way to stop it. Had to kill both apps.

• It would be good to add a custom scale type where the user just picks which notes to include, if you don't have this already. It will keep you from having to add every scale people request, and they don't have to wait for a scale to be added before the can use it.

• @cemolcay —Woupd love to see a “guitar mode” like my old Yamaha QY 700 by Which we could input a guitar sound and generate voicing correct guitr riffs. But I realize that might be outside the scope of this app.. But maybe not, who knows?

• @cemolcay Does the tutorial end at "Other Apps"? I've re-started it several times.

• edited November 2017

@jigglypuff said:
    @cemolcay Does the tutorial end at "Other Apps"? I've re-started it several times.

Yeah, I assume you did tutorial in landscape mode, it is a layout bug, you should be in portrait mode on that point to see the popover. It will be fixed in the next release.

• @Telstar5 said:
    @cemolcay —Woupd love to see a “guitar mode” like my old Yamaha QY 700 by Which we could input a guitar sound and generate voicing correct guitar riffs. But I realize that might be outside the scope of this app.. But maybe not, who knows?

Thanks, yeah it is a good idea but as you said, it's kind of out of the scope of this app, it does not generate sound, but maybe you can get your effect from another app that accepts midi input and generates that sound effect?

But I will consider adding arpeggiators in the next releases, maybe guitar strumming like arp would work for you?

• +100 for arp

• edited November 2017

@cemolcay said:
    MIDI Outputs are global for all tracks in the projects right now. I didn't make outputs selectable trackwise because you can assign different MIDI channels to tracks, so, technically you should send MIDI to different ports over MIDI channels, but of course, if you want me to add it as a next feature, I would happy to add it on my roadmap :)

No, not a big deal. Easy enough to do the routing in AUM. Sweet that you can send to one or more discreet channels per track. I'm not sure I've ever seen that in any music sequencer.

Just had a quick 30 minute play with it driving some synths in AUM (don't tell my boss). Good stuff. Congrats on it. Some early feature ideas below. None of it a huge deal, just ideas.

1. Track mute. Want to be able to freely experiment/toggle between ideas. Great that Play in track edit is only for the current track but would be handy to have mute (and/or solo) on project page.
    2. When adding chords, use the same length as the previous chord. If you're making a 4 bar, 4 chord progression, you currently have to manually adjust each.
    3. Chord replace. In the edit screen, hold down a chord on the track and choose 'replace'. Hit a new chord in the grid to replace it.
    4. 'Convert to notes' or something. Some way to use an existing chord progression and have it only send out the root note. Maybe a filter would be more interesting? You could then duplicate a track and filter to 'only the lowest note' or even 'only the 3rd lowest' note.
    5. The 'Create Chord Progression' screen is great. Would love to see something like that (with the recommendation engine) built into the track editor. The track editor has the bonus of being able to trigger the chords to preview them before choosing.
    6. Some way to enter any specific note/chord. I had an interesting progression going from just mashing keys. I could hear the next chord in my head but couldn't find it in the grid. Had to go and mess with the Key in the track settings until I found it. Would prefer the ability to one-off it.
    7. In the editor, touch an existing track chord to hear it.
    8. In the editor, double tap in the grid to add it to the track while in preview mode (notes icon)
    9. In the editor, when preview mode is on, touch and hold a track scale header (Dorian, Lydian...) to hear the entire progression. Double tap to auto insert it? Lazy!
    10. Playhead in the project page for orientation. Bonus if you can drag it to adjust the start point. With long progressions, it can be a bit of a wait to hear/test chords near the end. Double bonus if this worked in the track editor for both 'play from' and 'insert chord at this position', shuffling existing chords to the right.
    11. On that note, what about a project mode to sequentially play tracks? That way you could have a track for intro, track for verse, track for bridge... And, along with mute or solo, it would be easier to edit sections.
    12. "New track" feels hidden.
    13. Ability to transpose/change the key of a track. If you've made a progression in C and later want it to be in F you currently have to remake it.

In Project settings, what are "Other Apps", "Session 1", "Unnamed" and "callback midi in"? Guessing "Other Apps" is Chordbud's virtual port and "Session 1" is a network session? If so, think it's pretty standard to name the first "Chordbud output" and the second 'Network Session 1'. "Unnamed" and "callback midi in" show up in other apps as MIDI destinations but only when Chordbud is loaded. Some audiokit weirdness going on?

• edited November 2017

@cemolcay said:

@Telstar5 said:
    @cemolcay —Woupd love to see a “guitar mode” like my old Yamaha QY 700 by Which we could input a guitar sound and generate voicing correct guitar riffs. But I realize that might be outside the scope of this app.. But maybe not, who knows?

Thanks, yeah it is a good idea but as you said, it's kind of out of the scope of this app, it does not generate sound, but maybe you can get your effect from another app that accepts midi input and generates that sound effect?

But I will consider adding arpeggiators in the next releases, maybe guitar strumming like arp would work for you?

I think he means guitar chord voicing. Currently, the app voices Em like it normally is on a piano—a tight triad (E2-G2-B2). Em on a guitar is voiced like E2-B2-E3-G3-B4-E4. Edit: I should say that's one of many ways to voice Em on a guitar (or a piano!).

• Looks good. Downloading right now. :)