Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

RUST(i)K on "Waiting for Black Friday App Sale"

In recent days, I have noticed a trend mentioned by some posters.

The refrain goes something like this:

"That app looks great....I am going to get it when it goes on sale"
"Hopefully that app will be on sale for Black Friday"
"I'm waiting to buy that app on Black Friday"

I would like to appeal to you as a fellow iOS musician, producer, artist, businessman, and overall good intentioned person.

Can you please take a moment, consider, and ponder a few things?

First, do you work or receive some sort of income? What is your hourly take home?

How long do you think it takes a developer to create and maintain an app?

Do you own an iOS device? So, you are by no means poor to the point of suffering in the streets with the truly less fortunate.

I imagine you see where this is going. Or you think you do anyway.

Can you please consider buying the apps at full price?

We need to support developers and the companies who employ these developers. I look at it like this, the more money these developers have coming in the better apps will be made or more new apps we will get.'

Let's be honest. We are friends here.

No developer is getting rich making sequencer or synth apps. Not yet anyway. So, I personally don't want to short change or try and not pay an extra couple dollars to a developer by waiting on Black Friday sale.

This developer probably worked 7 days a week all hours on these apps, I think they deserve a fair wage for their work.

As a tale of caution, I can foresee the following things if people only splurge on apps during various sales and events.

1- Developers / aka: Companies will begin to change their market model and how the app is sold. Straight purchases at a fair price will be replaced with tricky subscriptions or a matrix of i.a.p.(in app purchases) that will make the old way things were a billed a wet dream. All of these apps are far cheaper than any hardware or VST. The prices are not more than any cigarette, alcoholic beverage, or meal out would cost. I think it is a fair trade off. Isn't that what life is really about? Sacrifice and compromise along with doing the thing that supports the greatest good?

1. Developers and companies will price items high to mediate the sale buying trends, actually in the long run making more apps less affordable for a greater number of us over time.

2. Apple will find a way to fuck up or the developers over to compensate for the diminished revenue of sale based buying habits.

I know things are tight. None of us have enough money. But, isn't about more than that sometimes?

These developers listen to our concerns and keep current on what our wants and desires are. They fix problems faster than any other company or industry I deal with.

My advice to developers, don't be afraid to tell us about how hard you work on the app. Some people may not get it.

In the meantime, this is a forum.

We are a community.

It would be really awesome to practice that as best we really could.

Thank you for reading.

Regards,

R U S T (i) K

Comments

• edited November 2017

At the end of the day music apps make <1% of a lot of other categories, but imo I don't think we can tell to consumers how to spend their money?
    Simple economics will prevail - price it too high you gamble on no sales, too low and you give it away (but get lots of users). Higher prices also demand more risk on getting the marketing right - all of this costs time & money.

Can we take away peoples love of sales? Its a fun time for all. Its gives us indie devs a chance to compete (in popularity) with the big guns (Korg/Moog etc).

but thats just my opinion....

• @midiSequencer said:
    At the end of the day music apps make <1% of a lot of other categories, but imo I don't think we can tell to consumers how to spend their money?
    Simple economics will prevail - price it too high you gamble on no sales, too low and you give it away (but get lots of users). Higher prices also demand more risk on getting the marketing right - all of this costs time & money.

Can we take away peoples love of sales? Its a fun time for all. Its gives us indie devs a chance to compete (in popularity) with the big guns (Korg/Moog etc).

but thats just my opinion....

Thanks Anthony!

I appreciate your input.

For real.

• No one is forcing the developers to put their apps on sale. PPG and Audio Damage never do. I will take advantage of the opportunity to save $ when presented that opportunity.

• @chockfullofthat said:
    No one is forcing the developers to put their apps on sale. PPG and Audio Damage never do. I will take advantage of the opportunity to save $ when presented that opportunity.

All good man.

"thumbs up"

• I am one of those fools who still chooses to spend more and go to the mom and pop store in my local community rather than save at a mega store.

I still tip a server like 22% because ........... well I wouldn't want to be doing that job. And I can afford it.

I figure if I can go out to eat I look silly not to tip that server good who is waiting on me.

Just some more fodder on where I am coming from.

• edited November 2017

The only time I buy something at a reduced price is when it’s first released at a sale price and I want it bad enough. It is TOUGH waiting to purchase something you want really badly. If Korg would stop introducing Gadget IAPs and apps that work within Gadget at introductory prices, they’d get a full payment from me. Regarding Lisbon, DeeMax, and Vancouver, I don’t have the willpower to hold off for two weeks. At least they’re still $9.99 a crack at their reduced prices, so Korg will be getting plenty of revenue back to continue developing Gadget.

I find IAP sales within Beathawk to be absolutely aggravating, because you never get new content during a sale (nor just before, lest some people start bitching like “DAMMIT! I bought that for $2.50 more just last week! I was ripped off!”) Each time they DO release a new pack, I find out how much it is, what kind of iTunes card to buy, and I get it lickity split and then tell you all about it. These packs are never initially released at a sale price, so it’s good to know UVI are getting their full payment from me.

I DID hold off buying Zeeon with every inch of my being, because I didn’t want to pay the reduced intro price but rather give Beepstreet full cash payment That was difficult to do, not because I couldn’t afford the extra money, but because of the time I wasted in waiting to use such a beautiful synth.

In my opinion, most iOS Musicians are spoiled rotten. Oh, so you couldn’t get the app on sale for $2.99 less? Looks like you’ll have to live without that extra pumpkin spice latte you planned to get at Starbucks. See, they don’t come from a PC/Mac background like me, where spending a large amount of money for ONE AU/VST plugin is STILL the norm, where the idea of paying a monthly subscription just to save your f-cking work is an obscene abomination. I mean, waiting for a Black Friday sale for a PC plugin is one thing. Shave off $30 or so, right? However, waiting for a Black Friday sale just to shave off $2.99 from an iOS app’s total price is pretty lame and a surefire way to make Subscription Pricing Hell a bleak and dire reality.

• Apps that I buy on sale are in most cases apps that I would not have bought if they weren't on sale.

• edited November 2017

@RUST( i )K said:
    I am one of those fools who still chooses to spend more and go to the mom and pop store in my local community rather than save at a mega store.

I still tip a server like 22% because ........... well I wouldn't want to be doing that job. And I can afford it.

I figure if I can go out to eat I look silly not to tip that server good who is waiting on me.

loyalty is worthy cause - it keeps them in business - if we all wanted something for free we couldn't afford to be creative - which is what I think you're saying? Correct me if I'm wrong?

I do it not for the money (have a nice day job for that) but because I like coding and admittedly the kudos of having an app in the charts - better than writing a book imo.

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:
    The only time I buy something at a reduced price is when it’s first released at a sale price and I want it bad enough. It is TOUGH waiting to purchase something you want really badly. If Korg would stop introducing Gadget IAPs and apps that work within Gadget at introductory prices, they’d get a full payment from me. Regarding Lisbon, DeeMax, and Vancouver, I don’t have the willpower to hold off for two weeks. At least they’re still $9.99 a crack at their reduced prices, so Korg will be getting plenty of revenue back to continue developing Gadget.

I find IAP sales within Beathawk to be absolutely aggravating, because you never get new content during a sale (nor just before, lest some people start bitching like “DAMMIT! I bought that for $2.50 more just last week! I was ripped off!”) Each time they DO release a new pack, I find out how much it is, what kind of iTunes card to buy, and I get it lickity split and then tell you all about it. These packs are never initially released at a sale price, so it’s good to know UVI are getting their full payment from me.

I DID hold off buying Zeeon with every inch of my being, because I didn’t want to pay the reduced intro price but rather give Beepstreet full cash payment That was difficult to do, not because I couldn’t afford the extra money, but because of the time I wasted in waiting to use such a beautiful synth.

In my opinion, most iOS Musicians are spoiled rotten. Oh, so you couldn’t get the app on sale for $2.99 less? Looks like you’ll have to live without that extra pumpkin spice latte you planned to get at Starbucks. See, they don’t come from a PC/Mac background like me, where spending a large amount of money for ONE AU/VST plugin is STILL the norm, where the idea of paying a monthly subscription just to save your f-cking work is an obscene abomination. I mean, waiting for a Black Friday sale for a PC plugin is one thing. Shave off $30 or so, right? However, waiting for a Black Friday sale just to shave off $2.99 from an iOS app’s total price is pretty lame and a surefire way to make Subscription Pricing Hell a bleak and dire reality.

imo - the best sales are in the desktop software domain - thats usually where my money goes. I agree - so much choice for a fraction of the cost of one vst or hardware controller.

• @midiSequencer said:

@RUST( i )K said:
    I am one of those fools who still chooses to spend more and go to the mom and pop store in my local community rather than save at a mega store.

loyalty is worthy cause - it keeps them in business - if we all wanted something for free we couldn't afford to be creative - which is what I think you're saying? Correct me if I'm wrong?

I do it not for the money (have a nice day job for that) but because I like coding and admittedly the kudos of having an app in the charts - better than writing a book imo.

I think anything worth anything requires some bit of effort on my part.

I will need to spend money in the world. When it is on things I am choosing because I enjoy it, I feel privileged to have the opportunity and thus the ability to provide reciprocal compensation.

In other words, yes.
    :)

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:

Thank. you for your thoughtful post.

• ALBALB
    edited November 2017

Sales or no sales, the more apps I buy, the more desirable my "music" will be to others.

I shall then become quite wealthy and these issues will be of academic interest only.

• @RUST( i )K said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

Thank. you for your thoughtful post.

You’re welcome mate. Cheers. :)

• @midiSequencer said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

imo - the best sales are in the desktop software domain.

Exactly. It actually feels like a real sale when the amount of money you save is in the double digits.

• @ALB said:
    Sales or no sales, the more apps I buy, the more desirable my "music" will be to others.

I shall then become quite wealthy and these issues will be of academic interest only.

I do also look at it as an investment in myself.

I take my music too serious to not have technology for $3

• @RUST( i )K said:

@ALB said:

I do also look at it as an investment in myself.

I take my music too serious to not have technology for $3

I was just being a smart aleck for no good reason. I agree with your main point and have absolutely no problem with buying something at full price if it's something that I really want. Hunting for bargains is not my thing, especially when I'm getting something that is high quality.

• @ALB said:

Now there lies the nub of the problem - not enough people share their creations! Its the best promotion for your skill at using the app - so sure must be more than just collecting everything thats released!

• Good point, OP. Apps are cheap anyway. I'll buy them at full price to help the devs.

• @midiSequencer said:

Now there lies the nub of the problem - not enough people share their creations! Its the best promotion for your skill at using the app - so sure must be more than just collecting everything thats released!

Yeah - my own adventures in creating music are mostly half-finished. Hoping to change that soon.

• Hmm. OK, maybe i shouldn't spend any money on black friday.

• @ipadthai said:
    Good point, OP. Apps are cheap anyway. I'll buy them at full price to help the devs.

I feel like my schmeckel is getting yanked a little bit......LOL

• @ALB said:

@midiSequencer said:

Yeah - my own adventures in creating music are mostly half-finished. Hoping to change that soon.

thats my problem too..... I've started a good idea, damn if I am musical enough to complete it...

• @Looping_Loddar said:
    Hmm. OK, maybe i shouldn't spend any money on black friday.

Spend it bro.

If you have enough give some away too.

Thread wasn't actually about spending.

But, I get it.

• edited November 2017

@RUST( i )K said:

@ipadthai said:
    Good point, OP. Apps are cheap anyway. I'll buy them at full price to help the devs.

Lol nah I'm serious. I truly feel bad for those making money in the music business nowadays. It's a tough grind. I always wished sites like YouTube would put something like a tip jar on the videos so we can contribute directly to musicians. The fact that videos on YouTube generate around $1 in income (from ad revenue) for musicians per thousands views is depressing.

• @ipadthai said:

@RUST( i )K said:

@ipadthai said:

Lol nah I'm serious. I truly feel bad for those making money in the music business nowadays. It's a tough grind. I always wished sites like YouTube would put something like a tip jar on the videos so we can contribute directly to musicians. The fact that videos on YouTube generate around $1 in income for musicians per thousands views is depressing.

No doubt.

All love homie.

• You know, there's a considered movement to absolutely boycott the fake consumerist orgy that is the so-called Black Friday.
    For those who are interested.

And Rustik, I think you're underestimating the benefits of the big-sale days on developers. It costs no more to "make" a copy of Kaspar, and if 1000 people get all excited to see it at a discount and pick it up on a sale frenzy, I'd bet the Yonac folks would be absolutely delighted.

For me, if I don't have it, I probably wouldn't buy it. Unless, you know, it was on sale and I needed that endorphin kick.

• edited November 2017

@jwmmakerofmusic
    What a total bullshit arguments of iOS users being spoiled and reasons to be against sales. And even more pathetic to hold of if an app is on sale because you want to pay the full price. If you're so desperate want to support your favorite dev just ask for his paypal/ bankaccount and deposit some money. In that case the money goes straight to the dev without having delay and others (Apple) profit from it :)
    I see (Black Friday) Sales as a method to get some extra attention for apps. My experience is that I buy apps much faster and/or I probably never would have bought when they are on sale, just because out of curiosity.

To be totally clear I did a lot of donations to VSTi developers in the past, good things should be supported but in the first place it is good to try them out and with sales not only I but a lot of other users have that chance. And if certain apps are really good, you also don't hestate when a dev of that app launches something new.