Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Two MIDI Controllers + AUM recommendations?

I’d like to start playing live again, but don’t want to go back to lugging massively heavy keyboards to gigs. Ready to trust software and iPad Pro :# :D

What interface would you recommend for connecting two Novation MIDI controllers to AUM with minimum fuss? and is AUM even the best software for this? I’d like one keyboard for pianos/organs and the other for leads/strings etc

Comments

• edited November 2017

You'll have lots of suggestions from the helpful folk here.

You could probably use just a CCK and small USB hub?

It may be overkill for your needs but I use Novation's Audiohub. It has 3 USB midi inputs, that you can also use USB hubs in, which allows me 12 midi USB inputs.

AUDIO IN/OUT too.

It does depend on whether the midi controllers can be powered by the iPad alone?

• edited November 2017

You may not even need AUM, it entirely depends on whether the apps you want to play have sufficient MIDI settings themselves....If you can setup the MIDI within the apps, and they have volume controls...you won't need AUM.

AUM however will enable you to, route the MIDI, mix the levels between apps from a single screen, to swap different apps in and out (using mute) , record your performance and save the whole setup as a preset.

• +1 Novation's Audiohub...easy connecting

• Thanks. AudioHub looks pretty good

• edited November 2017

I use it with a Arturia Keystep and an Akai MPD218 and a Minilab (MK1) on a powered USB-hub.... so sweeeet....!! It just works

• edited November 2017

Novation AudioHub is a good choice for live performance. I believe Jakob Haq did a video on his AudioHub recently.

Example of AudioHub employed live by Lusine - Ableton Live PC, Launchpad, Launch Control XL, and a DSI Tetra Synth plugged into an AudioHub. An iPad can also be used instead of a PC/Mac. Of course, your mileage may vary. B)

Lusine live at KEXP ->

• If the midi controllers are class compliant and you are good with the headphone out you won’t need any interface other than CCK3+usb hub. Otherwise just any class compliant interface plugged into the same usb hub will do the job

• @mschenkel.it said:
    If the midi controllers are class compliant and you are good with the headphone out you won’t need any interface other than CCK3+usb hub. Otherwise just any class compliant interface plugged into the same usb hub will do the job

I did that last time with one controller via CCK and 1/8 to quarter inch adapter headphone out. It just looked so hacked together. CCK is particularly bizarre the way it sticks out. Since I now want to add another controller I would like a more elegant setup :)

• @realdavidai said:

@mschenkel.it said:
    If the midi controllers are class compliant and you are good with the headphone out you won’t need any interface other than CCK3+usb hub. Otherwise just any class compliant interface plugged into the same usb hub will do the job

I did that last time with one controller via CCK and 1/8 to quarter inch adapter headphone out. It just looked so hacked together. CCK is particularly bizarre the way it sticks out. Since I now want to add another controller I would like a more elegant setup :)

You'll still need the CCK when using Audiohub.....

• @AndyPlankton said:

@realdavidai said:

@mschenkel.it said:

Ahh thanks for that tidbit. At home I have a Apogee Duet which plugs in via lightning connector, was looking for a similar solution that also supports two USB controllers. Looks like no matter what I’ll need a hub.

• @realdavidai said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@realdavidai said:

@mschenkel.it said:

Ahh thanks for that tidbit. At home I have a Apogee Duet which plugs in via lightning connector, was looking for a similar solution that also supports two USB controllers. Looks like no matter what I’ll need a hub.

If you got a lightning extender cable (do they even exist), you could at least put that between the CCK and iPad to 'hide' the CCK further away

• @AndyPlankton said:

@realdavidai said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@realdavidai said:

@mschenkel.it said:

If you got a lightning extender cable (do they even exist), you could at least put that between the CCK and iPad to 'hide' the CCK further away

This. With a audio interface so you just have 1 cable stickin out. But btw whenever any non acoustic musician setup hadn't been riddled with loads of cable spaghetti

• How about using a cool looking box to put the cables in to hide them. You could have the end facing you open so you could access the cables and hook stuff together and have your iPad on top with your controllers/hardware. Would be a lot cleaner looking when performing live.

• AudioHub to the newer 'CCK' will be a single cable coming off your ipad. Or two if you want to charge at the same time. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1241761-REG/apple_mk0w2am_a_lightning_to_usb_3_0.html

You might also check out the iConnectivity line up.