Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Let’s talk again about Hook...

This seems an interesting approach but I will want to know how gone from 2016 to nowadays and users opinion. Also I will want to know if it let’s export bits or just stereo etc...

@kobamoto I saw you used it in the past, Are you still using it? Worth the money?

Comments

• I tried to get into it. I had problems importing things. The IAA recorder crashes. Editing samples and getting a proper timestretch was problematic at best, a long pointless chore at worst. The A/B concept is too confusing. Worst of all, the mixer/crossfader and the loop trigger buttons can't be accessed at the same time. From a UX design standpoint they missed too many opportunities for me to be happy with it. If it's a performance tool why are all the controls tucked away on a thin little strip at the edge of the screen? Why can't we have split screen mixer and loop triggers? The remix feature they promote is some kind of spotify/deezer subscription trap if I remember correctly. Way better of using something like Launchpad or BM3 after they crush the bugs in 3.05. Try the free iphone app for a while. As a former Retro-fanboy I can't recommend spending money on this.

• it looks a little abandoned :(

• edited November 2017

@LucidMusicInc said:
    I tried to get into it. I had problems importing things. The IAA recorder crashes. Editing samples and getting a proper timestretch was problematic at best, a long pointless chore at worst. The A/B concept is too confusing. Worst of all, the mixer/crossfader and the loop trigger buttons can't be accessed at the same time. From a UX design standpoint they missed too many opportunities for me to be happy with it. If it's a performance tool why are all the controls tucked away on a thin little strip at the edge of the screen? Why can't we have split screen mixer and loop triggers? The remix feature they promote is some kind of spotify/deezer subscription trap if I remember correctly. Way better of using something like Launchpad or BM3 after they crush the bugs in 3.05. Try the free iphone app for a while. As a former Retro-fanboy I can't recommend spending money on this.

As warping editor it’s useful? Edited
    Shame...

@Hansson said:
    it looks a little abandoned :(

One year old and there is no updates? :open_mouth:

• edited November 2017

Correct me if I’m wrong, but the iPhone version is free. It has all the features of the iPad version, just comes with less loops—a good way to try before you buy.
    I personally like Hook a lot. The cross fade effects are really fun to play with. It has an “In Phase” clip launch option that lets you switch clips in sync mid beat (like Ableton Legato launch mode) that is lacking in Launchpad. The editing tools are robust and you can import your own loops. There is some MIDI control for the performance/crossfade buttons, but not for launching clips. No MIDI for launching clips, and there being only a stereo audio out, are what kept me from paying for the iPad version. But over all I would say Hook is the best loop launcher/performer. That is assuming it runs stable these days.
    EDIT: I was going off memory about the editing tools. Actually nothing much there at all, do any editing before import.

• edited November 2017

@audiorangutan said:
    Correct me if I’m wrong, but the iPhone version is free.

Done. :sunglasses:

The editing tools are robust and you can import your own loops.

I feel it so-so at the video that’s why I come here to ask users. Could you explain your experience, please...?

• edited November 2017

@Dubbylabby said:

@LucidMusicInc said:
    I tried to get into it. I had problems importing things. The IAA recorder crashes. Editing samples and getting a proper timestretch was problematic at best, a long pointless chore at worst. The A/B concept is too confusing. Worst of all, the mixer/crossfader and the loop trigger buttons can't be accessed at the same time. From a UX design standpoint they missed too many opportunities for me to be happy with it. If it's a performance tool why are all the controls tucked away on a thin little strip at the edge of the screen? Why can't we have split screen mixer and loop triggers? The remix feature they promote is some kind of spotify/deezer subscription trap if I remember correctly. Way better of using something like Launchpad or BM3 after they crush the bugs in 3.05. Try the free iphone app for a while. As a former Retro-fanboy I can't recommend spending money on this.

As warping editor it’s useful? Edited
    Shame...

@Hansson said:
    it looks a little abandoned :(

One year old and there is no updates? :open_mouth:

For warping maybe checkout Cubasis Auria maybe Blockswave Caustic BM3.06 (hopefully) and others.

If you want to get Hook you might like it. I think for Trap and Drum and Bass or Hip Hop you'll get a good result actually. For me I want to control everything and do everything DIY style and Hook wouldn't get me there. I had a week of fun with it before going back to Gadget.

• Got it on sale and it’s the only app that was awful enough for me to request a refund. Too sandboxed in its own little world and Spotify integration has horrible audio quality.

I’ve bought other apps that turned out to be duds, but Hook has a very special place at the top of my “hated it” list.

• @dubbylabby
    Yeah, some strangeness there. It was free when I got it and still indicates being free on the App Store page. Different country maybe, I’m in U.S?

• edited November 2017

@dubbylabby

So I sat down and just had a session with the iPhone Hook running on my iPad. I was remembering there being more traditional sample editing tools, but actually there is only trim, and it doesn’t even snap to the beat.

Here is what Hook does have: There is a screen to set warp markers, including transient detection. The warp markers dictate how the time stretching algorithm effects the sample. You can mangle loops in interesting ways by how you place the warp markers along with pitch and tempo settings.
    Hook does give good sound shaping options per pad. Each pad/loop can have one of Drive, Ring Mod, or Crush effect on it—they sound good to me. You can adjust pitch effected by time stretching; and pan and volume. Then of course you can adjust loop/hold trigger settings, including the “In Phase” launch option that I love.
    Then each channel has a three band EQ, sends for reverb, delay, chorus, and one IAA fx (worked with the first one I tried—AUFX:SPACE)

I just had a very satisfying session with Hook, here is what I did:
    Loaded eight of my loops from AudioShare into AudioCopy (seems to be the only way), then in Hook I hit the AudioPaste button, chose the AudioShare folder and then “Paste All”. I then adjusted the setting for each pad, hit record and jammed! The final recording (good audio quality) showed up in AudioCopy, and I exported it to AudioShare.
    I had one crash at the beginning when trying to load a sample in a way other than AudioCopy, but other than that, it has been solid and sounding good for the last 3-4 hours.

In the final analysis though, like I said before, I wouldn’t pay money for the iPad version. After all, there is no Audiobus or IAA audio out. It’s pretty cool as a standalone freebie though, and with importing loops, Ableton link and it’s internal ability to record your performance, I think pretty useful. I think I’m actually gonna be putting this back in rotation.

• I love Hook.

I love it for testing ideas out.

I love Audiocopy IAP. I have everyone.

The HOOK enabled packs are essentials for me.

I can sketch up ideas at the gym in the lobby, etc.

That is the phone.

I use Hook on #2 iPad in which I use the incoming Audio into my primary iPad.

Yes it is a great performance tool.

If not for Loop play, I say the A/B console is worth $20 for doing drops and build ups with the built in sounds and various Fx above.

The app is personal preference.

I LOVE HOOK!

I really with the Loop app had more detailed editing and a new update to Phase and iMPC would make my day.

All of which I still use daily.

RETRO has some of the most fun raw jamming apps available.

• edited November 2017

@RUST( i )K said:

If not for Loop play, I say the A/B console is worth $20 for doing drops and build ups with >the built in sounds and various Fx above.

Agree. Really, the unique A/B console (with badass name Flux Fader) and DJ fxs are the heart of Hook and the reason a person would buy it or not. Otherwise Hook is just another loop player.

• First of all thanks all of you for share experience :heart:

@audiorangutan I read about free phone version but when I opened the store (Spain) I found that. Maybe it comes with more packs or something... idk.

I will look deeper in all the info and wonder if it’s worth to my needs or just another loop player as you pointed.

Thanks once again bráhs

• if hook had record to pad and audiobus support for audio IN it would be awesome

• @Dubbylabby said:
    Thanks once again bráhs

Cool. But I’m actually a little bent that you can’t access the iPhone version for free.
    Anyway, make that music bro!

• edited November 2017

GarageBand comes pretty close to what Hook does. You can make loops do all kinds of cool FX on the fly with their pads.

Maybe not in terms of beatmatching/warping audio. If that's what you're after probably want to work with a PC daw like Live anyway.

Beatmaker is a bit of a broken mess now but when that gets fixed and if you've got a device that meets the specifications, you can do some amazing things like scene based arrangement. With the banks you can have automations for specific tracks and the entire bank which you can program as a pattern and arrange by scene. With midi muting of pads you've got another arrangement/performance option. It's hard to explain but it's awesome.

• @LucidMusicInc said:
    GarageBand comes pretty close to what Hook does. You can make loops do all kinds of cool FX on the fly with their pads.

Yes! I keep forgetting about the Live Loops with DJ fx in GB. Tried to get a workflow going in GB a few times, but it eluded me. I’m one of those having a hard time mastering GB’s unique music making paradigm. But with the new beat sequencer and stuff they added... I think today I master GarageBand!

• It’s not easy getting samples in here is it? Just crappy Audiopaste?

• @JangoMango said:
    It’s not easy getting samples in here is it? Just crappy Audiopaste?

If you buy their packs it's easy.

• @Hansson said:
    if hook had record to pad and audiobus support for audio IN it would be awesome

NTRACK app

In the effect slot of HOOK, put N-Track.

There are a couple other ways I have done it.

Let me think.

• @JangoMango said:

@LucidMusicInc said:

@JangoMango said:

If you buy their packs it's easy.

HOOK enabled packs are fun.

Been on sale for months now since the delay of Acopy4.

I love the packs they are fun to experiment with sounds or I use Hook in background DJ'ing for things like ambient percussion or tops to keep continuity and no dead spots.

Many DJ use Ableton but I don't see the need if I am only using Hardward and iOS devices to introduce my MacBook into that equation.

Maybe after Ableton 10 I may who knows.

• @audiorangutan don’t worry since I’m more for the warping/export I feel it doesn’t fit in my workflow as is.

@LucidMusicInc yes BM3 is were my trust are and I try to avoid back to desktops. I search also for dedicated hardware but even oktatrack or similar seem obfuscated vs just use Ableton live (which I hate a bit). GB live loops are great and maybe I should put more energy on BM3 as editor for acidizied loop creation then go back and forth between them until BM3 gets the full workflow. GB could be perfect but Apple closed-garden keep it outside the Live performing tool since I need midi control of the scenes. The same for BM3. So a simple warp editor could be the perfect companion for the blocs/Launchpad combo and that’s why I ended looking Hook editor. Another solution is Auria (and maybe cubasis but Idk it too much) but the cost for one trick pony and desktop workflow I try to avoid makes me search any other option before. It could be offline, I don’t need it realtime... some users point to twisted waves but I can’t find a video where the “warping-like” function or workaround is clear explained. I also wrote iMashup developer to ask him about the update the app with some of these tools but aside courtesy answer no true clue about going to happen anytime.
    I still not tried/research deep all the useful information you gave me so excuse me if I said something wrong or repetitive :sweat_smile:

I hope almost all those info benefit users who come after me until the simple warping app emerge or just buy Auria and forget about the rest.
    About that... Which is the right version to get Audio warping?

• edited November 2017

@Dubbylabby said:
    @audiorangutan don’t worry since I’m more for the warping/export I feel it doesn’t fit in my workflow as is.

@LucidMusicInc yes BM3 is were my trust are and I try to avoid back to desktops. I search also for dedicated hardware but even oktatrack or similar seem obfuscated vs just use Ableton live (which I hate a bit). GB live loops are great and maybe I should put more energy on BM3 as editor for acidizied loop creation then go back and forth between them until BM3 gets the full workflow. GB could be perfect but Apple closed-garden keep it outside the Live performing tool since I need midi control of the scenes. The same for BM3. So a simple warp editor could be the perfect companion for the blocs/Launchpad combo and that’s why I ended looking Hook editor. Another solution is Auria (and maybe cubasis but Idk it too much) but the cost for one trick pony and desktop workflow I try to avoid makes me search any other option before. It could be offline, I don’t need it realtime... some users point to twisted waves but I can’t find a video where the “warping-like” function or workaround is clear explained. I also wrote iMashup developer to ask him about the update the app with some of these tools but aside courtesy answer no true clue about going to happen anytime.
    I still not tried/research deep all the useful information you gave me so excuse me if I said something wrong or repetitive :sweat_smile:

I hope almost all those info benefit users who come after me until the simple warping app emerge or just buy Auria and forget about the rest.
    About that... Which is the right version to get Audio warping?

It's going to be BM3. Their downfall as far as I'm concerned has been in trying to reinvent the wheel with certain aspects of their UI and implementating highly sophisticated features like focus actions and step modulation etc etc but fall flat on essentials like sample import and obvious performance controls. It is getting better though.

If you know what you're doing you could import/record any sample of any tempo and then warp it to whatever tempo you're using. Then export it to your collection. Then you could slice it to pads and save it as a bank. Patrerns can be saved as part of the bank. Essentially you can recall any loop you wanted to with the patterns ready to play. Drop them in a scene and you're good. The changes of a crash however are always 50/50...

• Yup @5pinlink gave me a lot of answers but I also need to put more time on it. Since I bought it as remixing tool more than DAW or Sampler for it’s sidechain and AU cappabilities I feel sometimes a bit overhelmed of the so many features but I patient. I should dedicate tomorrow into look all this info, look some more tutorials (almost I read the BM3 manual yeah!) and get a better idea of what can I do with my actual tools.

Thanks to remember me checking BM3!

• It has been really interesting and helpful to hear all of your opinions on Hook... and thanks for catching our error in The App Store! I must have missed that when we moved away from our free for a limited time promotion of Hook for iPhone.

I'm seeing lots of great ideas here on how to improve your experience in Hook. If you could pick one feature that you are looking for in Hook, or one feature that you'd like to see improved, what would that be? I can't guarantee anything, of course, but I am happy to share these suggestions with our developers. :)

• Taylor
  • @Retronyms said:
    It has been really interesting and helpful to hear all of your opinions on Hook... and thanks for catching our error in The App Store! I must have missed that when we moved away from our free for a limited time promotion of Hook for iPhone.

So it’s free or not? It’s still 2’29€ at Spanish store...

I'm seeing lots of great ideas here on how to improve your experience in Hook. If you could pick one feature that you are looking for in Hook, or one feature that you'd like to see improved, what would that be? I can't guarantee anything, of course, but I am happy to share these suggestions with our developers. :)

• Taylor

Editing warping tools. That’s a gap in iOS as feature being Auria the only (afaik) which has it in Abletonesque way.

• @Retronyms I'm just wondering what happened to ''September to Remember'?!
    AudioCopy 4 was hinted at and it's already almost halfway thru November...

• @Dubbylabby The price you're seeing on the App Store is correct. Hook for iPhone is not free anymore. In order to change the copy in the App Store, Apple has to review those changes, which takes a few days. Thanks for the suggestion!

@Samu Yep. AudioCopy update will be here pretty soon. :) I'm excited for you to see it! - Taylor

• I will keep my eyes on it now appstore hasn’t wishlist. Thanks Taylor @Retronyms to join the discussion.

• @Retronyms for me the biggest problems is its inability to record it outside. So Audiobus and IAA are a must for me ( if not I never buy an app , of course AUs excluded)

• midi clip record !
    record to pad Audio (AB3, AU,IAA)
    MIDI control/mapping
    Files integration

if you add those you might win the race to "Ableton live for IPAD"