Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Is AB now an option or still an essential

I’d like to discuss this and hear your thoughts ( including developers).

The reason I’m asking is because prior to AUM ( and now the rise of AUV3) , we had the following options on iOS:

Pasteboard/ acp

Audiobus

Standalone apps

Virtual midi

Audiobus in my mind does the same as AUM, but since purchasing AUM and getting AUV3 apps I’ve not seen the need to get AB3. That’s just me.. I can route many apps and fx together in different combos and record.

If I want to sequence apps together without much fuss, I’m now learning to use AUV3 with GarageBand and it’s so easy and smooth on iOS 11.

As far as I can tell, AB3 is almost identical to AUM in most ways, so why would I need it?

My feeling is that audiobus did indeed start a revolution for iOS protocols but is not the only way now.

So,for you... is it now just an option of a few or is it still essential? And please explain why?

I also noted that zeon is not IAA and only does AUV3 within AUM or GB, there is no mention of AB in the AppStore description

Could we be seeing the death of IAA in favour of AUV3??

Comments

• I think IAA, as well as Audiobus is obsolete. Will take some time, and a lot of apps won't be updated, but any new app has to compete with full screen AUv3s like Model 15 and Axon 2. I think it's the final step to bring the platform on par with desktop.

• As long as IAA apps are out there AB is a must have from my perspective. I couldn’t live without state saving.

• AB has the superb switch-between-apps panel . Well that's it !

If there was a way for AB3 to force state saving (although AU apps support it by default) and merge AB remote where the parameters of each app could be exposed to other iOS and non iOS device I would look no further.

BTW I bought AUM on launch , but on current price I'd prefer AB3

• I only use AUM.
    I think it’s the best mixer/platform, I like the concept, it’s elegant, well designed all on same page, connected to Audioshare.

Don’t use that “nagging questions” Audiobus 2 anymore..

• Totally forgot about the 'nag messages' , must mention that they only come once per app , never appear again ,
    but every time I reformat the iPad on major iOS update ( or buy new ) , have to deal with them again ....

• edited November 2017

If you want to record (not import) directly from another app into blocs wave then AB is a must.

• As mentioned, AB3 has some benefits that AUM alone does not have, such as the quick switch side panel. This makes combining some apps with use of AUM run smoother than Running everything within AUM or AB3 alone.

I think of AUM and AB3 as extensions of each other. Even if AB3 became another AU mixer in essence, it’s better to have than not to have.

• I started as an AB guy, then moved to AUM. Now I use AB2 only occasionally when I want to route audio out of AUM into Loopy or something. I’ve never even considered getting AB3–all of my needs are already being met.

• Once AB3 starts accepting MIDI Audio Units in the MIDI lane they'll be opening up a lot of new possibilities in an easy way. Making MIDI routing painless is something that AB3 does very well.

• Audiobus in combination with AUM is the way to go. Get the best of both worlds, state saving, preset management and audiobus remote combined with the simplicity and flexibility of AUM. Having all the recordings stored in AudioShare is the icing on the cake.

I couldn't imagine trying to work without any one of these apps...

• I personally think this thread is disrespectful to the Audiobus team. It has a built in back handed insult implying that the app does not have worth or value to one degree or another and let's talk about why.

This website and forum are a value in themselves, all because of Audiobus.

I am a big believer of not shitting where I eat.

That is just me though. I don't agree with many people on most things any way.

• edited November 2017

Definitely enjoy combining AB3 and AUM to leverage the strengths of each. Having an all MIDI setup in AB3 with the MIDI routed to AUM which hosts the audio apps and routes the AB3 MIDI to them works well and saves the state of the MIDI setup and all AU apps hosted in AUM. I can load a very complex setup by loading it from an AB3 preset. AB3 MIDI effects are great and controlling AU MIDI parameters in AUM along with controlling bus send levels, mute, solo, channel volume and other aspects of AUM is fantastic. You can also set MIDI parameter ranges in AUM as well. AB Remote can be very handy for switching or controlling apps.

• @RUST( i )K said:
    I personally think this thread is disrespectful to the Audiobus team. It has a built in back handed insult implying that the app does not have worth or value to one degree or another and let's talk about why.

Nailed it.

Yet another "Look At Me I'm Mr Controversial" post.

• @RUST( i )K said:
    I personally think this thread is disrespectful to the Audiobus team. It has a built in back handed insult implying that the app does not have worth or value to one degree or another and let's talk about why.

Yes, This!

I have AB2, AB3 and AB Remote also AUM. As it would be nice if they all got together and had a baby, AUMBus would be born. But I must say that they are all respective tools that are very useful in there own ways. At the present state of software development are all very important in iOS music creation. When you get down to the nuts and bolts of it, when you are making your list for essential apps for music making, all of these should make your list. Can you make music without them, sure. These are tools to help make the mundane tasks much less mundane and they do a fine job of it.

• It is the definition of entitled. It’s just unreal (as well as ignorant) that someone would feel they could post that AB3 is “obsolete.”

Which is not to say that any app (AB3 included) is above reproach. I personally the app could do with some better promotion; the midi side still confuses me, and I feel like I’m waiting for developers to make their apps AB3-ready. But maybe that has already happened?

• While I don't often agree with @Love3quency I think it's not about "shitting where you eat", @RUST( i )K but simply a discussion. I read no disrespect in his questioning.
    I came to this forum months ago stating that I do not own AB, that AUM suited my needs, asked why do I need AB and AudioDabler even answered by making a video explaining the main difference between both.
    Every now and again this question of AB and AUM comes up and it's hella valid. Folks, like myself at one time, want to know if there is something they are missing, and if AB is obsolete (opinion or fact) then let it be. It's all about discussion.

Anyway, @Love3quency IMO AB & AUM works best together. As I got AB months after and found some advantages like state saving and recording directly into BlocsWave, however with iOS11, the AB switcher is not a big deal and I can do a lot more automation and complex routing in AUM. It's all about your personal preference. I hardly ever use AB except for that BlocsWave thing I mentioned.

• I use it every day.

• edited November 2017

Let's face truth, when more DAW's will fully adopt AUv3 (including generating and altering MIDI data), Audiobus and IAA will be more and more obsolete ..

It may sound cruel (specially on this forum) but i hope developers of new future DAW's and synths / fx's will speed up this transition process by supporting exclusively only AUv3 standard ..

With ALL (big) respect to Audiobus team - this app was huge thing for whole iOS audio movement, true revolution .. but .. it's time to look forward to future. I see there just AUv3

• No disrespect intended here. In fact quite the opposite, FWIW, my workflow changed with AUM and Blocks Wave, making me use AB less.

However, that does not mean I never use it, or that I will not use it more as my needs and the app itself change. I would always buy new versions, to help promote the tremendous resource that is this forum.

AB for me, these days, is more about here than actually using the app.

• edited November 2017

For a while I thought Audiobus was just a cool forum (like an iOS focused KvR). Eventually I learned it was an app :o :#

Lately I’ve been hoping that it will branch out and become a full DAW

• @RUST( i )K said:

I feel that. I’ve noticed before that there is so much talk of AUM and other apps other than Audiobus here on this forum. I felt a little weird sharing my lack of AB3 use here in this thread, but felt that a candid response would actually benefit the AB dev team and community at large. I almost ended my previous post with “but I love this forum and the community it supports”. I think this is just a healthy, natural ebb and flow of ideas. How else are the AB dev team going to gather info on how to make AB4 the cataclysmic game changer they want it to be?

• edited November 2017

Not sure why this thread needed to be started, seems a little disrespectful, and we’ve had similar discussions before.

But I’ll repeat my two pence worth anyway:

I use AUM mostly, because of the built in mixer and AU support and it works well for my live jamming fun, but Audiobus is still essential for me for when I’m routing apps and fx chains into Auria or BM3, for example, as the simplicity, low CPU footprint and loading speed do a better job.

I live AUM, I love Audiobus, and I love clever developers like Brambos because they’re all working together to create something greater than the sum of its parts.

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    I use it every day.

Ditto.

• In the world of technology, everything is temporary, nothing disrespectful about it whatsoever.
    How can people be offended by an honest discussion of technology? Do you honestly think, that the brilliant minds who brought us Audiobus, because back then there was a need for it, expected it to last forever?

Due to the tremendous success came IAA, and now we have AUv3. I think the people most happy about the evolution of the platform are the founder of Audiobus themselves, because they know their place in history, and can move on to other things.

I'll never forget the revolution Audiobus started for me. But AUv3 is the future.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@lukesleepwalker said:
    I use it every day.

Ditto.

Triple ditto (is that a thing?)

• @iOSounddesign said:

I'll never forget the revolution Audiobus started for me. But AUv3 is the future.

I don't think it is. AU's are a great thing, and works well for some apps (Brambos) but not others (Model 15), and other apps that are IAA - such as Gadget or Cyclop would be impossible to implement without stripping out a whole load of features and functionality. Then there's all the older apps we use and love that aren't AU'd-up yet, and probably never will be.

I rarely use AU's, because I prefer having the extra functionality I get by using the whole app via IAA.

We've got both, and it's great.

• edited November 2017

@TozBourne: Tritto ;)

• @MonzoPro said:

@iOSounddesign said:

I don't think it is. AU's are a great thing, and works well for some apps (Brambos) but not others (Model 15), and other apps that are IAA - such as Gadget or Cyclop would be impossible to implement without stripping out a whole load of features and functionality. Then there's all the older apps we use and love that aren't AU'd-up yet, and probably never will be.

I rarely use AU's, because I prefer having the extra functionality I get by using the whole app via IAA.

What is lacking on the Model 15 AUv3 in your opinion? Are you referring to screen size/interface? With the new full screen implementation this last (and significant) problem has been addressed in my opinion. Before that, you're absolutely right.

• @MonzoPro said:

@iOSounddesign said:

Man you're the real vintage iOS music maker:)

• @RUST( i )K said:

+1