Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

We Need Some Help And The Truth About My Life

This was a really hard video for me to make and I sincerely hope that anyone who watches it understands

So far the response has been fantastic

Comments

• Cotdamn, this it's real.
    Will PayPal.
    Hang in there man.

• edited November 2017

Allready a patreon dude
    And i like the idea behind it
    But
    i allways think about to skip it, just because of the 19% Tax, every time i get the taxbill, its..... :s

Paypal is on the way dude. (Without taxes ;-)

Peace love and health to you and your family
    Thx Doug
    RocknRoll

• edited November 2017

I will try not to get too political here.

I have misgivings about the society and systems of protection with have in this country (UK). I know that some people will have no sympathy for my point of view - I’m not surprised really - we are being trained in this country to believe that benefits are wrong and that you are only a wonderful person if you earn loads. It’s dog eat dog and kick them all to get there first.

Now some would have you think that it has to be this way, but that is only taught thinking without proper reasoning - there is another way.

So what am I saying? Can I help with money? No, I’m in a similar situation losing my ability to earn at the same time as suffering pain. Now I’m not complaining, it took me a long time, but I got things sorted for the time being. I’m not wealthy - Far from it, but, I am happy. I have far less income than mentioned, yet I have far less responsibilities to others, so I consider my situation easier. So, basically I’m saying that while some may judge, know this - this can happen to anyone. I once had means and fitted nicely into our societies ways. Now I am struggling day by day to get by.

I wish you all the best in the world Doug. For yourself and your family. In a decent society, we would treasure people as your good self much more, but this society just isn’t decent. It’s run by corrupt people who’s themselves are just there to make sure the money keeps rolling upwards to the few.

Rant over and hope you survive all the hard times Doug x

• Every sympathy, Doug. The state can do good things, but is set up to do as little as possible. What infuriates me the most is the awful bias these days shown against folk who have paid in all their lives.

Due to on-going illness I have not done paid work since January, which is financially tough. Luckily, we paid for our place years ago, and my other half earns just enough to keep us going, I hope until I can get back on track.

Good luck.

• @Zen210507 said:
    Every sympathy, Doug. The state can do good things, but is set up to do as little as possible. What infuriates me the most is the awful bias these days shown against folk who have paid in all their lives.

Due to on-going illness I have not done paid work since January, which is financially tough. Luckily, we paid for our place years ago, and my other half earns just enough to keep us going, I hope until I can get back on track.

Good luck.

Thanks Zen

• Usually i am very skeptical when someone asks for financially support. It can be a big company, our beloved goverment, my own company, a stranger in the street, or even a well known friend (who does not work and has in fact a better living standard than i have).

It is complicate thing for me - because i don't know all the important circumstances to make up my mind. Oh, and i generally just don't trust people who ask for financial support.

Hobbyists (and some professional people among us) like we are not the one who set the rules for social life and our society. In a developed country there is a network for helping people, which does - indeed - has better ressources than we have.

I don't want to sound offending - but i am a bit irritated. I don't like to hear from a person, that he feels hopeless. It does not depend on the person - the same is true for Doug. I just can't solve all problems of the world, and i am not willing to try it.

Sorry.

I like what Doug does with the soundtestroom. I think it really is amazing, that he get some hundred Dollar every month from people, who support him and/or his work. It seem just to be quite impossible, for me, that we are the right persons to solve his financial problems. He may better ask (and find!) the right institutions for him. If someone is seriously ill like Doug (i don't know what illness he have), and he just can't work (even not in a callcenter for some hours): He just should not have financial trouble. Usually he will find a institution in his country, which will help him.

Good luck!

I really don't think it is a good idea for an ill person, that his money only is generated by Youtube videos and such. I don't think that an income below 1000 Dollar per month can be called a "proper business".

Something is wrong.

• Doug - have you ever considered becoming an online tutor? I am quite sure there would be plenty of people out there willing to pay for iOS tutelage per hour/ or whatever way you set it up- especially from yourself. I certainly would be. It would save so much time and frustration.... and all the rest of it for many people. You would become the 'go to' person in this field :p

• @robosardine said:
    Doug - have you ever considered becoming an online tutor? I am quite sure there would be plenty of people out there willing to pay for iOS tutelage per hour/ or whatever way you set it up- especially from yourself. I certainly would be. It would save so much time and frustration.... and all the rest of it for many people. You would become the 'go to' person in this field :p

This is good thinking. Must be another way to get to a more sustainable place, it’s just getting that idea. Yeah, I know that’s easier said than done when one feels at the edge all the time

• I have considered all sorts of things, honestly I have, and I will make thesoundtestroom a successful business, my work ethic is very good as you know and I love to bring the demos to you every day, it’s make me happy that most of you enjoy them.

Thing are moving in the right direction with everything and I hope and pray that eventually it will be self sustaining, Patreon support is growing each month, and today many new Patrons have joined and some have edited the pledge, there are also lots of devs there too which is fantastic.

• edited November 2017

@Looping_Loddar said:
    I don't want to sound offending - but i am a bit irritated. I don't like to hear from a person, that he feels hopeless. It does not depend on the person - the same is true for Doug. I just can't solve all problems of the world, and i am not willing to try it.

Nobody asked you to ‘solve all problems’ this is one man, who does a lot for this community.

If your own circumstances don’t permit you to assist, fair enough. Otherwise, saying that gaining your help ‘does not depend on the person’ just makes you sound like the biggest tool in the box.

Sorry.

• edited November 2017

Unfortunately hovering above the poverty line myself, hope you get a good response from the video. Someone mentioned one on one tutoring and that could be another revenue stream. Group courses, for example 6 people on a 6 week course is a way to do this which costs less for each person but will increase your income.

Here are two more places you could try, podcast/audiobook editing and production are growing markets. Not the most exciting work but if you had 2 or 3 regular clients it should bring you something similar to the YouTube money. A copy of izotope RX would be useful and can do most of the work for you. You already have established a brand name/online presence which is probably the most difficult part to getting steady freelance gigs.

https://www.fiverr.com/categories/music-audio?source=category_tree

http://www.acx.com/help/studio-professionals/200484640

Thanks for the videos and best of luck for the future!

• @Zen210507 said:

@Looping_Loddar said:

Nobody asked you to ‘solve all problems’ this is one man, who does a lot for this community.

If your own circumstances don’t permit you to assist, fair enough. Otherwise, saying that gaining your help ‘does not depend on the person’ just makes you sound like the biggest tool in the box.

Sorry.

I think what I would say to someone who can’t help, such as myself, is that that’s OK. The think is though, that while it is OK to not be able or willing to help, it would be good if people could try to find out more about different countries social security systems, as you may learn something - the majority are being run into the ground and pretty much don’t work anymore. They are old and based on society’s needs from before I was born!

The thing is the system is just a facade. Doesn’t matter if you have a good work ethic or not, as its not about keeping people being useful to society - the system actually makes it harder for someone to cope with long term illness and work at the same time. Why? Because they save more money being able to just stop peoples benefits. Helping people is irrelevant to the system - a persons worth is only what they do to stimulate the economy and profit for others. Beyond that society does not care.

• @Fruitbat1919 said:

@Zen210507 said:

@Looping_Loddar said:

Sorry.

I think what I would say to someone who can’t help, such as myself, is that that’s OK. The think is though, that while it is OK to not be able or willing to help, it would be good if people could try to find out more about different countries social security systems, as you may learn something - the majority are being run into the ground and pretty much don’t work anymore. They are old and based on society’s needs from before I was born!

The thing is the system is just a facade. Doesn’t matter if you have a good work ethic or not, as its not about keeping people being useful to society - the system actually makes it harder for someone to cope with long term illness and work at the same time. Why? Because they save more money being able to just stop peoples benefits. Helping people is irrelevant to the system - a persons worth is only what they do to stimulate the economy and profit for others. Beyond that society does not care.

I agree, and honestly of course it’s cool not to help in any financial way, I am just trying to make people aware of my own personal situation and that I am trying my best to make this a viable business, and it can work, it’s over half way there already, all I want to do is make a living doing what I do best, and what I love.

Everything helps, just watching the videos, clicking the like, subscribing to the channel, pledge even $1 or £1 or a euro and becoming a Patron on Patreon, clicking on a link when you buy an app, I'm definitely not trying to offend anyone

• edited November 2017

@thesoundtestroom said:
    clicking on a link when you buy an app

At the risk of sounding stupid, how exactly does this work? Is this via a page on your site or on the YouTube channel? I watch your videos from the forum posts here and will often buy an app halfway through the video, does that help you out financially?

• @thesoundtestroom said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@Zen210507 said:

@Looping_Loddar said:

Sorry.

I agree, and honestly of course it’s cool not to help in any financial way, I am just trying to make people aware of my own personal situation and that I am trying my best to make this a viable business, and it can work, it’s over half way there already, all I want to do is make a living doing what I do best, and what I love.

Everything helps, just watching the videos, clicking the like, subscribing to the channel, pledge even $1 or £1 or a euro and becoming a Patron on Patreon, clicking on a link when you buy an app, I'm definitely not trying to offend anyone

If you ever need help in other ways, I’m definitely willing. Not sure how beyond promoting your good self, but you never know, I may be able to help in other ways.

I do get it. Really I do. You try so hard as a person in this life to make yourself something more than just there for yourself. Sometimes it seems like bashing your head against a wall is less painful than trying to make ends meet. I have times when I nearly just give in as its so heart breaking that our society has become little more than a stat on a yearly profit loss sheet.

But dude, it’s great to hear you’re having some success with your meds :)

• @BlueGreenSpiral said:

@thesoundtestroom said:

At the risk of sounding stupid, how exactly does this work? Is this via a page on your site or on the YouTube channel? I watch your videos from the forum posts here and will often buy an app halfway through the video, does that help you out financially?

Hi, the videos that are on my Patreon site usually have links and the links that are in the description part of my You Tube channel, those links have my Apple Affiliate token attached to then, using that link will give me a small percentage of the app sale, paid by Apple, not the developer.

If you click on a link in the Audiobus apps section it will have their Affiliate token, same as on Jakobs channel and Tim’s website

• can't watch this video. too much for me. i've watched loads of your vids and you seem like a really decent bloke. don't like to see anyone struggling. try and see welfare rights and get some support.

• @thesoundtestroom said:

@BlueGreenSpiral said:

@thesoundtestroom said:

Hi, the videos that are on my Patreon site usually have links and the links that are in the description part of my You Tube channel, those links have my Apple Affiliate token attached to then, using that link will give me a small percentage of the app sale, paid by Apple, not the developer.

If you click on a link in the Audiobus apps section it will have their Affiliate token, same as on Jakobs channel and Tim’s website

I will use your links in the future, thanks for the info!

• , I'm definitely not trying to offend anyone.
    >

Only a complete dickhead would be offended, and who cares what they think. Nil illigjti carborundum ... or something like that.

• @thesoundtestroom Doug, I appreciate your work and videos so I’ve just become a patron using my musician online identity.

It is absurd that artists who make contributions that help us create music have to do videos like this just to make both ends meet. Artists should be paid for their work and I find Doug to be very entertaining so in my book he’s an artist. As a patron you get the extra material Doug creates especially for you which isn’t available to the general public.

Not everyone will appreciate or even like what Doug does, but if you do enjoy his videos why not allow him to continue to do so by contributing what you can afford to?

• agreed. if you watch the videos, you should pay. $12 a year to subscribe is nothing.

• edited November 2017

Doug - I said my piece on your Patreon site, but want to reiterate it here:

It's always Ok to ask for help. ALWAYS.

We're all in this fight together. You have nothing to apologize for. If folks don't want to help - COOL.

But please - no naysayers. Our friend has just bore his heart and soul to us, his friends, in a plea for help. That's one of the hardest things for a grown person to do. Let's not tear him down - please keep any negativity to yourselves.

• @dvlmusic said:
    Doug - I said my piece on your Patreon site, but want to reiterate it here:

It's always Ok to ask for help. ALWAYS.

We're all in this fight together. You have nothing to apologize for. If folks don't want to help - COOL.

But please - no naysayers. Our friend has just bore his heart and soul to us, his friends, in a plea for help. That's one of the hardest thing for a grown person to do. Let's not tear him down - please keep any negativity to yourselves.

Well said!

• If you have a cheap hosting account and existing domain Doug, I’d be happy to set up a website on it for you (for free) if you think it’d help you to promote your stuff. Just let me know and I’ll sort it out.

• @MonzoPro said:
    If you have a cheap hosting account and existing domain Doug, I’d be happy to set up a website on it for you (for free) if you think it’d help you to promote your stuff. Just let me know and I’ll sort it out.

I've got a domain - I'd be willing to figure out that end of it if it would help.

• Sorry if this has been asked but is it common for developers to provide you with copies of their software? Do they ever offer monetary compensation for covering their products? I’d like to believe that this is a way you could cut costs but I understand how hard it is to make a living in app dev. I like the idea of tutoring that someone above mentioned.

• @rezidue said:
    Sorry if this has been asked but is it common for developers to provide you with copies of their software? Do they ever offer monetary compensation for covering their products? I’d like to believe that this is a way you could cut costs but I understand how hard it is to make a living in app dev. I like the idea of tutoring that someone above mentioned.

Sometimes developers do pay, but not very often, they give me the apps for review, and it’s hard for them too

• So far the response has been amazing..again, the Patreon is up loads which is incredible, donations have been great too, both me and Jo are always very humbled by the community response

• Doug, you said the key in your video - Patreon is not a donation, it's a way of paying you for your WORK, which is excellent. Your work is very helpful in making informed choices.