Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Beatmaker 3 - New Mini-Masterclass Video from Dean (Electronisounds)

My most epic Beatmaker 3 video to date!
So much producer geekery included... :smiley:

I hope this helps you in your BM3 journeys:

Comments

• Dude you are most epic!! I know what I'm doing tonite!

• Thank you, Dean, for this very nice and interesting tutorial!

• edited November 2017

I’ve just commented in another thread that I still need to watch a good tutorial and boom! Here it is. Nice one.

• Keep doing what you're doing man. I don't watch many tutorials, but I'm always learning something (and entertained) when watching yours.

• Deano man, you are da man when it comes to BM3

• Thanks Dean for this instructive tutorial, it’s very much appreciated.

• edited November 2017

Wow. That's remarkable. I've earmarked 42 minutes this weekend sometime between the Arsenal game, the final episodes of "Stranger Things 2" and the Steelers game. And, of course, family delights.

EDIT: No Premiere League games because of internationa break, I just realized!. So that frees up most of my mornings!

• Yeah very helpful vids :)

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    Wow. That's remarkable. I've earmarked 42 minutes this weekend sometime between the Arsenal game, the final episodes of "Stranger Things 2" and the Steelers game. And, of course, family delights.

EDIT: No Premiere League games because of internationa break, I just realized!. So that frees up most of my mornings!

Exactly. No fitba; tutorials instead. Thanks @Junebug....

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

Although as a nominal American, you might watch the new-look USMNT vs. Portugal in a friendly.

• @ExAsperis99 said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

Although as a nominal American, you might watch the new-look USMNT vs. Portugal in a friendly.

Italy/Sweden mate. First leg. World Cup play-off. Grudge match. Nothing friendly at all. Am knackered after a lightning fat trip to Chicago. Will be under the red blanket and roaring.

• Thanks Bud... just looking at the beginning of the video (building the drums beat) and saying to myself, “ GarageBand has really change the way we do drum beats with that new ‘beat-sequencer’... “

just saying... back to the video.

• edited November 2017

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

Italy/Sweden mate. First leg. World Cup play-off. Grudge match. Nothing friendly at all. Am knackered after a lightning fat trip to Chicago. Will be under the red blanket and roaring.

It is absolutely insane that either Italy or Spain Sweden will not be in the WC. Is Zlatan playing?

• Thanks for the kind words, guys <3

• @ExAsperis99 said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

It is absolutely insane that either Italy or Spain will not be in the WC. Is Zlatan playing?

Sweden (4-4-2): Olsen; Krafth, Granqvist, Lindelof, Augustinsson; Claesson, Ekdal, Larsson, Forsberg; Berg, Toivonen

Subs: Johnsson, Nodfeldt, Larsson, Olsson, Guidetti, Johansson, Helander, Svensson, Jansson, Rohden, Thelin, Sea

Italy (3-5-2): Buffon; Chiellini, Bonucci, Barzagli; Darmian, Verratti, De Rossi, Parolo, Candreva; Immobile, Belotti

Subs: Donnarumma, Perin, Rugani, Gagliardini, Florenzi, Insigne, Astori, Jorginho, Eder, Bernardeschi, Zappacosta, Gabbiadini

• 3 mins in and already learned something important

• Best part comes at the end. SPOILER WARNING Dean plays 3 instances of BM3 on 3 IPads B)

• edited November 2017

Absolutely brilliant video !!!
    I have a couple of notes.

Zero crossing is not always a no no with either single cycles or drum hits, having a non zero start point can add extra click if that is what is wanted on a drum hit, and changing the phase of a single cycle will also give you non zero, It is a common misconception that everything should be zero crossing start, it is generally a good idea for most things where you do not want to hear a click, but a zero crossing will only create a click, it wont do any damage or cause any other issues, and if the click is what you want on your drum hit (As it was in this case) then there is no problem with it whatsoever, a lot of producers use this when there is no transient design available elsewhere, it is a quick way to give a hit more click.

When you created an 8 bar pattern from the 4 bar pattern, you are better off repeating rather than duplicating, repeat just instances what is already there where as duplicate creates an entirely new pattern, this may seem like it is unimportant, but what you have actually done after the merge is created three patterns, which are all available for that track and in the track helper, two of which are exactly the same because you used duplicate instead of repeat.

When you are using Chord Poly Pad, you have another option of set up by turning omni off in Beatmaker 3, so you don't have to worry about focusing either, so you could be on the Drumkit bank in Beatmaker 3 and Chord Poly Pad would still only play what bank you assigned it to in Beatmaker 3, doing it this way you could have Chord Poly Pad on the Soul Keys and a drum sequencer like a Brambos triggering a different bank of drums inside Beatmaker 3.

Always using "Copy samples" is not a good idea, that is mainly for creating an archive to be backed up elsewhere (Dropbox/PC etc) or unless you plan to completely remove all the samples you have used from their original location, using that every time is creating multiple copies of everything and eating up storage space, so if you used the Soul Keys on this demo, then create a new demo and use it again, if you have copy samples ticked then you now have three Soul Keys on your iPad that are all exactly the same, a lot of wasted storage, if it is a sample set you used often, your storage would soon be gone.

Having the EQ as the first thing in the mix chain is not always recommended, EQing before the compressor will give you a warmer tone, EQing after the compressor will give you a cleaner tone, there is no better or worse here and in general if you are EQing before a compressor/Reverb combo you will generally want to EQ after it too, Reverbs are notorious for creating peaky frequencies no matter what signal is sent to them, Mverb being a figure 8 even more so.

The Hi Pass filter on the delay is in the feedback path, it cant be used as an EQ as such because of feedback build up of frequencies.

Clicking a tracks header in the mixer will reset the meters as you showed, however it should be noted that if you are inside a bank on the mixer, clicking the tracks header will trigger the pad as a preview for that channel so could cause the meters to clip if the track is already playing.

Not adding Reverb to the lower parts of the drumkit is generally a good idea, but if you wanted to you could put the reverb in the pocket using the pre delay setting, and with the pre EQ you are doing, that will limit any mud build up.

When ducking, you could save an extra compressor by creating a side chain send, send the kick and snare to that send and then side chain from the send, it would save some resources and will possibly give a nicer glue to the ducking.

Like i said, brilliant video though !!!

• @Junebug I remember watching one of your videos awhile back on using older MIDI controllers & drum pads and really dug it. You have a cool, no stress approach to explaining stuff and it's totally palpable that you really just want to help your fellow musicians, no ego, no bullshit.

This is an outstanding primer on BM3. While not my main DAW, I use BM3 and am excited to see where Intua takes the app. Cats new to it really should watch this excellent video.

Thanks again brother...

• Did not post for a long time here, only reading, but for this nice and great video tut I directly signed in for to give it a high 5. Now I can finally start to use BM3 ;-)

• @Samplemunch said:

Zero crossing is not always a no no with either single cycles or drum hits, having a non zero start point can add extra click if that is what is wanted on a drum hit, and changing the phase of a single cycle will also give you non zero, It is a common misconception that everything should be zero crossing start, it is generally a good idea for most things where you do not want to hear a click, but a zero crossing will only create a click, it wont do any damage or cause any other issues, and if the click is what you want on your drum hit (As it was in this case) then there is no problem with it whatsoever, a lot of producers use this when there is no transient design available elsewhere, it is a quick way to give a hit more click.

When you created an 8 bar pattern from the 4 bar pattern, you are better off repeating rather than duplicating, repeat just instances what is already there where as duplicate creates an entirely new pattern, this may seem like it is unimportant, but what you have actually done after the merge is created three patterns, which are all available for that track and in the track helper, two of which are exactly the same because you used duplicate instead of repeat.

When you are using Chord Poly Pad, you have another option of set up by turning omni off in Beatmaker 3, so you don't have to worry about focusing either, so you could be on the Drumkit bank in Beatmaker 3 and Chord Poly Pad would still only play what bank you assigned it to in Beatmaker 3, doing it this way you could have Chord Poly Pad on the Soul Keys and a drum sequencer like a Brambos triggering a different bank of drums inside Beatmaker 3.

Always using "Copy samples" is not a good idea, that is mainly for creating an archive to be backed up elsewhere (Dropbox/PC etc) or unless you plan to completely remove all the samples you have used from their original location, using that every time is creating multiple copies of everything and eating up storage space, so if you used the Soul Keys on this demo, then create a new demo and use it again, if you have copy samples ticked then you now have three Soul Keys on your iPad that are all exactly the same, a lot of wasted storage, if it is a sample set you used often, your storage would soon be gone.

Having the EQ as the first thing in the mix chain is not always recommended, EQing before the compressor will give you a warmer tone, EQing after the compressor will give you a cleaner tone, there is no better or worse here and in general if you are EQing before a compressor/Reverb combo you will generally want to EQ after it too, Reverbs are notorious for creating peaky frequencies no matter what signal is sent to them, Mverb being a figure 8 even more so.

The Hi Pass filter on the delay is in the feedback path, it cant be used as an EQ as such because of feedback build up of frequencies.

Clicking a tracks header in the mixer will reset the meters as you showed, however it should be noted that if you are inside a bank on the mixer, clicking the tracks header will trigger the pad as a preview for that channel so could cause the meters to clip if the track is already playing.

Not adding Reverb to the lower parts of the drumkit is generally a good idea, but if you wanted to you could put the reverb in the pocket using the pre delay setting, and with the pre EQ you are doing, that will limit any mud build up.

When ducking, you could save an extra compressor by creating a side chain send, send the kick and snare to that send and then side chain from the send, it would save some resources and will possibly give a nicer glue to the ducking.

Wow. Comprehensive. Re copying samples when saving session. If you do those, when yo open the session will it reference the newly copied sample, or the original sample. I made this ‘error’ and now have multiple copies of the same sample when I browse through the samples page. I would like to delete the duplicates but it’s difficult to tell which I should delete and if I will be deleting the referenced sample or another version.

• This is such a brilliant video as always.

• @triton100 said:

@Samplemunch said:

Wow. Comprehensive. Re copying samples when saving session. If you do those, when yo open the session will it reference the newly copied sample, or the original sample. I made this ‘error’ and now have multiple copies of the same sample when I browse through the samples page. I would like to delete the duplicates but it’s difficult to tell which I should delete and if I will be deleting the referenced sample or another version.

Yeah this is why that sample search feature never interested me in the least. I don't bother to name samples and if I did it would be a meaningless name like kick or synth or whatever. Then you've got the duplicate problem. The search function is like the Jedi. It has to end.

• @LucidMusicInc said:

@triton100 said:

@Samplemunch said:

Yeah this is why that sample search feature never interested me in the least. I don't bother to name samples and if I did it would be a meaningless name like kick or synth or whatever. Then you've got the duplicate problem. The search function is like the Jedi. It has to end.

So how do you organise your samples ? Tags ?

• @triton100 said:

@LucidMusicInc said:

@triton100 said:

@Samplemunch said:

So how do you organise your samples ? Tags ?

Just by bank. If I want to get a sample I used in a previous bank I'll just copy and paste that pad into a new bank, or I'l just use the bank for the sample. Clearly the search function was a good idea in theory, from a sample store standpoint especially, however in reality what you get is a useless list of samples with names like Audiobus-Record-Pad3-02 or whatever. And then when you take session saving into consideration then you've got all the duplicates.

• edited November 2017

This was exactly what I needed, Thank you! Just purchased BM3 a couple weeks ago and hadn’t done much of anything with it yet due to my unfamiliarity with sample based workflow. Already after watching the first few minutes of the tutorial, I’ve learned some incredibly valuable info. ..

thanks for this! Now on to watch the rest so I can learn to operate this beast.

• @mrcanister said:
    how come it's back to your site again? same with the BM3 Battle. it's great you're doing such in depth vids but i'll skip the self publication and stick with IAPs. cheers

Maybe I don't get what you mean, but it seems particularly unfair.
    Dean is offering quality BM3 packs for free, and provides the best BM3 videos on the net, everything for free. Nothing obliges you to buy anything to him, or to become a Patreon (which he would as much deserve as Doug on the Sound Test Room, given the quality of the content he produces)

• @Sygma
    ok, it's all good. i've watch most of them. just didn't see why the need for slating of the samples provided by the developers.

• Love this video. Thanks!

• Thanks to everyone with the kind words <3

@anyone who doesn't like free samples, or doesn't like me or what i'm doing or how i'm doing it, the answer is pretty clear: