Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

microSD card reader?

Is it possible to transfer wav files from a micro SD card directly to Audioshare?

Comments

• On the Apple/Android spectrum, I'm much closer to "Apple Fanboy" than whatever the other end is, but the fact that we even have to ask this question in 2017 with Apple devices is an embarrassment. Apple doesn't even go the route of the Sony DuoStick or "XD Card" and try to make their own proprietary media - they just don't want you to have file management on any of their devices separate from what the Apple ecosystem and Cloud allows.

My assumption is "no", because while there is a Lighting to SD Card overpriced dongle:

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MJYT2AM/A/lightning-to-sd-card-camera-reader?afid=p238|sKSP8osAh-dc_mtid_1870765e38482_pcrid_52243316890_&cid=aos-us-kwgo-pla-btb--slid--product-MJYT2AM/A

...I'm pretty sure the only thing it does is open the Photos app. Unless AudioShare is even more amazing than I already know about. But I've never had that dongle and never tried it. I'd love to be corrected if I'm wrong, because it'd be nice to permanently house some of my samples on a high-capacity SD card, rather than working with the various free cloud services with limited storage I use. (I guess it's not a significant hassle for me "as is", but only because of apps like AudioShare, GoodReader, and Documents that expand the functionality of iOS).

• @StormJH1 said:
    On the Apple/Android spectrum, I'm much closer to "Apple Fanboy" than whatever the other end is, but the fact that we even have to ask this question in 2017 with Apple devices is an embarrassment. Apple doesn't even go the route of the Sony DuoStick or "XD Card" and try to make their own proprietary media - they just don't want you to have file management on any of their devices separate from what the Apple ecosystem and Cloud allows.

My assumption is "no", because while there is a Lighting to SD Card overpriced dongle:

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MJYT2AM/A/lightning-to-sd-card-camera-reader?afid=p238|sKSP8osAh-dc_mtid_1870765e38482_pcrid_52243316890_&cid=aos-us-kwgo-pla-btb--slid--product-MJYT2AM/A

...I'm pretty sure the only thing it does is open the Photos app. Unless AudioShare is even more amazing than I already know about. But I've never had that dongle and never tried it. I'd love to be corrected if I'm wrong, because it'd be nice to permanently house some of my samples on a high-capacity SD card, rather than working with the various free cloud services with limited storage I use. (I guess it's not a significant hassle for me "as is", but only because of apps like AudioShare, GoodReader, and Documents that expand the functionality of iOS).

+1

• That’s still only for photos and videos.

• @mistercharlie said:
    That’s still only for photos and videos.

The Lexar things works with all file types using the provided file-manager.
    Sandisk has a similar product and it handles all file-types as well.

• @Samu said:

@mistercharlie said:
    That’s still only for photos and videos.

The Lexar things works with all file types using the provided file-manager.
    Sandisk has a similar product and it handles all file-types as well.

Nice. So you use it with a companion app?

When these third-party apps start adding support for Files app, I’ll be quite interested. As it is, I’m using a USB 3 hard drive hooked up to my network, plus the FileBrowser app. Works perfectly. 2TB!

iCloud Drive is also an increasingly good option.

• @mistercharlie said:

>

Yepp, I've to a Sandish iXpand (it's not SD-Card but USB and Lightning).
    The companion app is quite handy.

Some apps such as inFuse from FireCore accesses it directly to play media :)
    (Sandisk provides an SDK for it so developers can add direct support for it).

When these third-party apps start adding support for Files app, I’ll be quite interested. As it is, I’m using a USB 3 hard drive hooked up to my network, plus the FileBrowser app. Works perfectly. 2TB!

That's what I'm hoping too...

Currently I use Documents (by Readle) to access my NAS from all apps using the standard Files.app/Document-Picker interface... Super handy and one of the best iOS11 features :)

• @Samu said:

@mistercharlie said:

>

Yepp, I've to a Sandish iXpand (it's not SD-Card but USB and Lightning).
    The companion app is quite handy.

Some apps such as inFuse from FireCore accesses it directly to play media :)
    (Sandisk provides an SDK for it so developers can add direct support for it).

That's what I'm hoping too...

Currently I use Documents (by Readle) to access my NAS from all apps using the standard Files.app/Document-Picker interface... Super handy and one of the best iOS11 features :)

That is some very good news indeed. Thanks for the information @Samu. :)

• Awesome, thanks Samu! I am thinking it would be nice for reading the SD card from my Korg Mini Kaoss Pad2

• @AudioGus said:

Awesome, thanks Samu! I am thinking it would be nice for reading the SD card from my Korg Mini Kaoss Pad2

Leef, GoPro and Hama have a similar readers as well so there are a few options out there.

I still hope Apples own Lightning->SD-Card and Lightning->USB would gain full Files.app support...
    (I mean they can technically do it as proven by the old Jailbreaks so it's just a 'software/policy issue').

• @Samu said:

@AudioGus said:

Awesome, thanks Samu! I am thinking it would be nice for reading the SD card from my Korg Mini Kaoss Pad2

Leef, GoPro and Hama have a similar readers as well so there are a few options out there.

I still hope Apples own Lightning->SD-Card and Lightning->USB would gain full Files.app support...
    (I mean they can technically do it as proven by the old Jailbreaks so it's just a 'software/policy issue').

Hmmm, so with this one you figure I could transfer wav files to audioshare somehow?

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/go-pro-gopro-quik-key-iphone-ipad-mobile-microsd-card-reader-amcrl-001-ca/10488718.aspx?

• edited November 2017

Deleted

• Erf? Now there is a vote up/down button and messages are out of order?

• @AudioGus said:

I'm keeping an eye on this....I want an SDHC reader that I can use to transfer samples to/from the iPad and Korg Electribe Sampler. :)

• @AndyPlankton said:

I'm keeping an eye on this....I want an SDHC reader that I can use to transfer samples to/from the iPad and Korg Electribe Sampler. :)

For every single iOS release that has been released I've sent feedback to Apple for them adding support support for mass-storage devices and full access to the files on an SD-Card...

With the arrival of Files.app this would make sense. (Ie. when attaching the SD-Card/USB-Device it would would pop-up in the Files.app and be accessible to all apps using Files.app/Document-Picker).

I already have Apples USB-Cardreader and with a 'jail-break' I could access all files on it...
    So it's more about policy, not what it's technically doable...
    (I will send another feedback request to Apple).

• @Samu said:

@AndyPlankton said:

For every single iOS release that has been released I've sent feedback to Apple for them adding support support for mass-storage devices and full access to the files on an SD-Card...

With the arrival of Files.app this would make sense. (Ie. when attaching the SD-Card/USB-Device it would would pop-up in the Files.app and be accessible to all apps using Files.app/Document-Picker).

I already have Apples USB-Cardreader and with a 'jail-break' I could access all files on it...

I get all that, and I'm not averse to using a third party app, just been looking at Documents by Readle, as long as I can take a file from ios/dropbox/audioshare and copy to a folder on an SD Card inserted into a reader connected to the iPad.
    The readle app website makes no mention of accessing files located on an SD Reader though :|

• @AndyPlankton said:

@Samu said:

@AndyPlankton said:

I get all that, and I'm not averse to using a third party app, just been looking at Documents by Readle, as long as I can take a file from ios/dropbox/audioshare and copy to a folder on an SD Card inserted into a reader connected to the iPad.
    The readle app website makes no mention of accessing files located on an SD Reader though :|

GoodReader seems to transfer to WiFi storage ok.

• @Fitz said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@Samu said:

@AndyPlankton said:

It was last updated on my birthday last year :) thanks I'll check it out.....looks like the Wifi SD Readers are the way to go for this currently....anyone got recommendations on a good one ?

• @AndyPlankton said:

@Fitz said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@Samu said:

@AndyPlankton said:

It was last updated on my birthday last year :) thanks I'll check it out.....looks like the Wifi SD Readers are the way to go for this currently....anyone got recommendations on a good one ?

I use an older version of this - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wireless-Memory-Reader-iPhone-Android/dp/B00FQE3H4Q/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1510658718&sr=1-1&keywords=Apotop&dpID=41A-NnYn-0L&preST=SY300_QL70&dpSrc=srch

• @Fitz said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@Fitz said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@Samu said:

@AndyPlankton said:

I use an older version of this - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wireless-Memory-Reader-iPhone-Android/dp/B00FQE3H4Q/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1510658718&sr=1-1&keywords=Apotop&dpID=41A-NnYn-0L&preST=SY300_QL70&dpSrc=srch

Thanks very much......can you confirm you can copy wav file from iPad/iPhone to this using the goodreader app ?
    Looks like a winning solution for me here :)

• edited November 2017

I’ve done that plenty of times. Unfortunately i’ve just moved country, so everything is in boxes at the moment, otherwise I would do some tests. In the past I have moved videos, audio, documents, photos using this method. I’ve stored them on USB sticks, sd cards and hard drives.

Review here gives 8/10 - http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/apotop-wi-reader-wi-reader-pro-review-giveaway/

• edited November 2017

@Fitz said:
    I’ve done that plenty of times. Unfortunately i’ve just moved country, so everything is in boxes at the moment, otherwise I would do some tests. In the past I have moved videos, audio, documents, photos using this method. I’ve stored them on USB sticks, sd cards and hard drives.

Thanks @Fitz Useful info here.

I think I have maybe had a eurika moment with this though @Audiogus ......If you've got an android phone, you could connect an sd reader to that (or for Micro SD just put it in the phone) and then use Dropbox to transfer between iOS and Android, multi step process, but cheaper than a wifi sd reader. Not checked the android file management yet to know if a file manager would be needed.

EDIT: Maybe not as straight forward as I thought, the phone would need to support OTG, not all of them do :(

• And now I discovered this
    https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=wifi+sd+card+reader&safe=strict&source=lnms&tbm=shop&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjcu6Hyob7XAhXJrxoKHb4UBLgQ_AUICigB&biw=1366&bih=676#spd=308602274187576808

an SD card that IS a wifi host as well.....In theory I could get one of these, leave it in the electribe and have Wifi access to it.