Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

How many iPads are you guys using simultaneously?

I'm at 2 atm, contemplating between a 12,9" pro or maybe more used AIR 2s going into an analogue mixer...

Moar ipads plx
  1. Number of iPads you're using in your productions57 votes
    1. 1
      54.39%
    2. 2
      31.58%
    3. 3 or more
      14.04%

Comments

• edited November 2017

Eleven. One for each finger.

• In times of exploding CPU performance and AUv3 it maybe a little anticlimatic, but i do think it is a valid question why not to upgrade the number of iPads. If you look elsewhere in the music hardware business, Roland sells "Boutique" synths for the price of an iPad.

The main point for my argument are the consistently low App prices, and the huge collection of Apps that we all have.

Of course the question becomes, if i want to spend that kind of money on my music hobby, wouldn't i spend it on some nice hardware gear, but i do think it is valid to think about just upgrading the number of iPads, to be able to tweak and jam away...

• At this point, musically, I consider iPads hardware.

• I was intending to get more iPads, but the price level of the Pro series put me off, yet the latest non pro is actually older in some tech than my Air2.

This did all coincide with Apple sticking the boot in to the U.K. on pricing.

Yes, still some deals to be had, but for now, it’s wait til the Pro series become good value second hand so I can do some art work with the Apple Pencil too lol

Yeah, compared to hard ware synths, multi ipad set ups are still great value.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    At this point, musically, I consider iPads hardware.

Good point, i think i get what you mean, but i'll still refer to it as a computer running software...

• Beardyman uses 5 iPads.

• @Fruitbat1919 said:
    I was intending to get more iPads, but the price level of the Pro series put me off, yet the latest non pro is actually older in some tech than my Air2.

This did all coincide with Apple sticking the boot in to the U.K. on pricing.

Yes, still some deals to be had, but for now, it’s wait til the Pro series become good value second hand so I can do some art work with the Apple Pencil too lol

Yeah, compared to hard ware synths, multi ipad set ups are still great value.

The Air 2 is just so damn fine. Unfortunately this is evident in the used market, where the prices are still quite high.

• @Hmtx said:
    Beardyman uses 5 iPads.

5 sounds good to me, i wouldn't run out of Apps to use them properly. People who think this is ridiculous don't value their apps accordingly. Like the iM1 App, turning an iPad into a full blown M1 for example.

• I'm on two at he moment- but am thinking about a third- esp as you can get all your apps on it for free- and the price of a seconhand Air2 is not much more than a modest piece of hardware- also link works so well. I am thinking that the new Jim Audio app and the new Propellerhead Reason Mobile apps- when they come out will be well suited to multiple pad use and may just inspire me to go for it.

• @robosardine said:
    I'm on two at he moment- but am thinking about a third- esp as you can get all your apps on it for free- and the price of a seconhand Air2 is not much more than a modest piece of hardware- also link works so well. I am thinking that the new Jim Audio app and the new Propellerhead Reason Mobile apps- when they come out will be well suited to multiple pad use and may just inspire me to go for it.

Exactly, Link, as well as Inter Device Audio/Midi (if you're on mac) are significant improvements if you run multiple iPads nowadays. With IDAM you kinda have to consider it an external sound module, since you need no extra hardware, and it's perfectly scalable.

I do consider two the bare minimum, since you'll need one already for MIDI stuff, like MidiSteps. I'd love to have a dedicated iPad for Gadget as well, since it doesn't play well with anything, but at least has Link...

The main argument is like you and i said, the extremely low App pricing (just check out Audio Damage) and the fact that you can just install your apps over and over again!

• One. I gave my Air 2 and Air 1 to my mom and dad, respectively, so they could experience a technology jolt. I honestly don’t know how I’d incorporate a second iPad.

• My new iPad Pro 12.9 is doing most of the heavy lifting, but I always have my iPad Air alongside. If I had to, I could add in my iPhone, my iPad 3, and two older iPod Touches. But the first two are enough, usually. :smile:

• well, I wanted it to be 2, but the iPad Air stopped functioning, now I am back to 1.
    My priority was getting the ROLI Songmaker Kit, which I ordered 1 week ago.
    But a second iPad would be cool, guess I am gonna do this, latest when my iPad 2017 can't cope with the needed CPU load.

• Just 1, but i do have an SE waiting for Bm3 to go universal

• @oat_phipps said:
    One. I gave my Air 2 and Air 1 to my mom and dad, respectively, so they could experience a technology jolt. I honestly don’t know how I’d incorporate a second iPad.

You're a better person than me lol. So many possibilities!

@MarkR said:
    My new iPad Pro 12.9 is doing most of the heavy lifting, but I always have my iPad Air alongside. If I had to, I could add in my iPhone, my iPad 3, and two older iPod Touches. But the first two are enough, usually. :smile:

Man it sure sounds nice to have the new 12.9. What are you running on the old Air, and how do you connect your stuff? Analog Mixer, IDAM or special stuff like ICA4?

@teleb said:
    well, I wanted it to be 2, but the iPad Air stopped functioning, now I am back to 1.
    But a second iPad would be cool, guess I am gonna do this, latest when my iPad 2017 can't cope with the needed CPU load.

CPU load is only one issue for me, i really hate App switching, and some stuff just doesn't work good with other stuff.

• Once I used one simultaneously

• I ticked '2' but I'm usually only using the one. The older iPad 3 is used for MIDI processing/sequencing and FX for the most part. Soon it will be my only NS1 machine though! Both are connected to an iConnectAudio4.

• @syrupcore said:
    I ticked '2' but I'm usually only using the one. The older iPad 3 is used for MIDI processing/sequencing and FX for the most part. Soon it will be my only NS1 machine though! Both are connected to an iConnectAudio4.

Cool! Older iPads are just perfect for the plethora of MIDI apps, but i'm always happy that theres still a lot of fine synths running on the 2/3 as well...

To be able to route audio through the old iPad 3 is super nice for FX or Loopy or else of course, that's the killer salespoint for the ICA4

• I have an Ipad Air2 and an Ipad 2, once in a while Ill use my Ipad 2 to record guitar thru my Apogee Duet into my Air2, but for the most part I only use the Air2. If the Ipad 2 supported my IK Multimedia Blueboard so I can use my expression pedal it would get a lot more usage. If I get a pro my Air2 will definitely stay a part of my production.

• @Strizbiz said:
    I have an Ipad Air2 and an Ipad 2, once in a while Ill use my Ipad 2 to record guitar thru my Apogee Duet into my Air2, but for the most part I only use the Air2. If the Ipad 2 supported my IK Multimedia Blueboard so I can use my expression pedal it would get a lot more usage. If I get a pro my Air2 will definitely stay a part of my production.

Nice, you could check out if you can grab an Akai SynthStation 49 on the cheap off ebay or so, if you find one around 50 bucks or so it's awesome with the ol iPad 2. They Keyboard itself is meh, but it has high quality Audio outs as well as Midi out, and it charges the thing...i've seen these things go cheap, and i really recommend them

• I have an iPad Air 2, iPad Pro 2 12.9 and iPhone 6s Plus ...

since I got my 2017 Pro I haven’t done much of anything with the air 2 or iPhone , music-wise. Starting to look
    Around for ways I might incorporate them so they’re not just sitting around collecting dust.
    the air 2 is only 16gb, (vs 512gb in my Pro) so that is somewhat limiting, I mostly keep it full of abandoned 32bit apps (ios 10) In case I want to use them again in the future.

• edited November 2017

@AnimalHeadSpirit said:
    I have an iPad Air 2, iPad Pro 2 12.9 and iPhone 6s Plus ...

since I got my 2017 Pro I haven’t done much of anything with the air 2 or iPhone , music-wise. Starting to look
    Around for ways I might incorporate them so they’re not just sitting around collecting dust.
    the air 2 is only 16gb, (vs 512gb in my Pro) so that is somewhat limiting, I mostly keep it full of abandoned 32bit apps (ios 10) In case I want to use them again in the future.

That's awesome! Do you have any other (analogue) gear, or do you have a mac at the "central" of your rig? And i think the 16 GB is not a problem at all, since you'll do any audio/sample related stuff on the Pro anyways...it's kinda perfect actually. Would be a waste if you had the 128 GB...

• @iOSounddesign said:

@AnimalHeadSpirit said:

That's awesome! Do you have any other (analogue) gear, or do you have a mac at the "central" of your rig? And i think the 16 GB is not a problem at all, since you'll do any audio/sample related stuff on the Pro anyways...it's kinda perfect actually. Would be a waste if you had the 128 GB...

All my DAWs and music software are currently iOS only, I’ve been thinking about getting into desktop audio , or at least incorporating some desktop synths into my iOS music productions in the near-future. I have a mid-2014 Macbook Pro , Mac Mini and a windows 7 desktop. Haven’t decided which platform to dedicate to music yet; Leaning toward MBP , though it’s 8gb vs 16gb ram on win7 desktop, so that might play into the ultimate decision.

Other hardware = Scarlett 2i2 and Komplete Audio 6 interface, Shure sm58 mic, Arturia Keystep 32, Yamaha P-60 88-key, and while I don’t use the following in my music productions yet since I just started learning guitar a few months ago: 2014 USA Strat and Seagull SWS Acoustic .. Roland Cube 40gx amp.

Good points re: 16gb Air 2 ...Lack of space always frustrated me when it was my primary tablet , though it’s plenty for all the streamlined synths / sequencers /etc .. Thought about using it for audiobus remote for now, maybe remote control software for desktop daw in future.
    Thanks for the input.

• @AnimalHeadSpirit said:

@iOSounddesign said:

@AnimalHeadSpirit said:

All my DAWs and music software are currently iOS only, I’ve been thinking about getting into desktop audio , or at least incorporating some desktop synths into my iOS music productions in the near-future. I have a mid-2014 Macbook Pro , Mac Mini and a windows 7 desktop. Haven’t decided which platform to dedicate to music yet; Leaning toward MBP , though it’s 8gb vs 16gb ram on win7 desktop, so that might play into the ultimate decision.

Other hardware = Scarlett 2i2 and Komplete Audio 6 interface, Shure sm58 mic, Arturia Keystep 32, Yamaha P-60 88-key, and while I don’t use the following in my music productions yet since I just started learning guitar a few months ago: 2014 USA Strat and Seagull SWS Acoustic .. Roland Cube 40gx amp.

Good points re: 16gb Air 2 ...Lack of space always frustrated me when it was my primary tablet , though it’s plenty for all the streamlined synths / sequencers /etc .. Thought about using it for audiobus remote for now, maybe remote control software for desktop daw in future.
    Thanks for the input.

Great equipment you have, nice! A lot of possibilities there to combine your devices, and get the most value out of them. Obviously, your iPad Pro is not only your fastest "computer", and i guess you bought it to serve as your main device. I'll conclude that the Komplete 6 is connected to the iPad, if you're not running any music software on your computers yet.

What would make the most sense right now to me is to connect your iPad Air 2 via the lightning cable and Inter Device Audio/MIDI to the MacBook. (In case you're not familiar with it, this is an integrated feature in MacOS to stream Audio one way, and MIDI bidirectional between iOS and MacOS). Your Scarlet interface, also on the MacBook gets connected to your Komplete6 interface, and you have a setup. On the MacBook, you can download a free AU Host like http://ju-x.com/hostingau.html which is a super lightweight micro DAW for hosting plugins, and streaming your iPad Air 2.

With this you would have your iPad Air 2 integrated without any additional hardware, if i'm not mistaken. It would transfer MIDI via InterDevice Midi over the MacBook, via the Scarlet into your iPadPro, to e.g. sequence synths. It would also stream Audio.

• I'm seriously considering a second - second-hand - iPad and agree with many here- some of the advantage of separate hardware gear can be had if one uses several iPads - in live jam sessions i am thinking about - with each iPad dedicated to just one screen during performance - NO FLIPPING BETWEEN APPS! - even if there might be several synths generating sounds in the background.

So my idea is maybe one iPad for th sound generating part - another cheaper one for a pure MIDI sequencer - sending MIDI to the first iPad.

Its a shame that - far as i know - iOS11 still doesnt support two apps in split-screen in portrait mode - since so many apps are designed to take up half the screen real estate of an iPad Pro 12.9" so one could view two apps

So one iPad Pro 12.9" or two iPad air 2's ?

There is one required change of course - one cannot - as yet - run AUM on both iPads and have volume levels controlled remotely from one to the other.. and of course mixing ... so one's forced to go to a hardware mixer - but thats probably wise in live jam-performance situations anyway. much though i love AUM. And if running AUM on two iPads and wanting to route the digital signal pure into a digital mixer that presents challenges ..

My other thinking currently - apart from buying more iPads is the whole business of bluetooth MIDI

Not many BT MIDI keyboards exist yet. I own two korg micro key Airs and a NanoKey Studio - which I might sell on.

I'm really wondering where the mix between bits of hardware and iPad software should go. Currently i like the idea of hardware MIDI sequencers and controllers - leaving all sound generation to apps.

I'm staying well away from synth hardware. I also want TOTAL RECALL !

• @nonchai said:
    I'm seriously considering a second - second-hand - iPad and agree with many here- some of the advantage of separate hardware gear can be had if one uses several iPads - in live jam sessions i am thinking about - with each iPad dedicated to just one screen during performance - NO FLIPPING BETWEEN APPS! - even if there might be several synths generating sounds in the background.

So my idea is maybe one iPad for th sound generating part - another cheaper one for a pure MIDI sequencer - sending MIDI to the first iPad.

Its a shame that - far as i know - iOS11 still doesnt support two apps in split-screen in portrait mode - since so many apps are designed to take up half the screen real estate of an iPad Pro 12.9" so one could view two apps

So one iPad Pro 12.9" or two iPad air 2's ?

There is one required change of course - one cannot - as yet - run AUM on both iPads and have volume levels controlled remotely from one to the other.. and of course mixing ... so one's forced to go to a hardware mixer - but thats probably wise in live jam-performance situations anyway. much though i love AUM. And if running AUM on two iPads and wanting to route the digital signal pure into a digital mixer that presents challenges ..

My other thinking currently - apart from buying more iPads is the whole business of bluetooth MIDI

Not many BT MIDI keyboards exist yet. I own two korg micro key Airs and a NanoKey Studio - which I might sell on.

I'm really wondering where the mix between bits of hardware and iPad software should go. Currently i like the idea of hardware MIDI sequencers and controllers - leaving all sound generation to apps.

I'm staying well away from synth hardware. I also want TOTAL RECALL !

Hehehe my point exactly. I wasted so much time already thinking about potential setups, sometimes i feel like i'm going in circles...

My gut tells me that the iPad Pro 12,9 is too good to pass up. Gotta bite the bullet, but the rest is unclear. Although it is kinda anticlimatic as well, i always circle back to incorporate an analog mixer. I just got myself a fine Tascam 688 8-track Taperecorder off ebay, a gigantic mixer with a tapedeck, the best (and last one) that got ever built.

If it's just two iPads for you, i guess the ICA4 might be the best solution, which would eliminate the hardware mixer, and would give you the flexibility that you want.

The problem is that this setup can't grow any further....

• edited November 2017

@iOSounddesign said:

@oat_phipps said:
    One. I gave my Air 2 and Air 1 to my mom and dad, respectively, so they could experience a technology jolt. I honestly don’t know how I’d incorporate a second iPad.

@MarkR said:
    My new iPad Pro 12.9 is doing most of the heavy lifting, but I always have my iPad Air alongside. If I had to, I could add in my iPhone, my iPad 3, and two older iPod Touches. But the first two are enough, usually. :smile:

Man it sure sounds nice to have the new 12.9. What are you running on the old Air, and how do you connect your stuff? Analog Mixer, IDAM or special stuff like ICA4?

@teleb said:
    well, I wanted it to be 2, but the iPad Air stopped functioning, now I am back to 1.

CPU load is only one issue for me, i really hate App switching, and some stuff just doesn't work good with other stuff.

That's why I basically use GarageBsnd only. Now plus 2 AUs, Noise and Moog Model 15. But mainly what's already built in to GB. Staying in GB gives me creation. Adding other non AU apps resulted in nothing for me, at least inbreeding past.
    I used to use Cubasis a lot, but it can't compete with GB when it comes to the integrated workflow with Drummer, Smart Instruments, Alchemy, touch keyboard with cool pitch bend, and so forth.
    Plus I got my Mac with Logic Pro when I want to take my creations further. Equator has most of the sounds from Noise, which is cool for switching from iPad to desktop. And then my iPad is running Logic Remote. Great workflow.

• @teleb said:

@iOSounddesign said:

@oat_phipps said:

@MarkR said:

@teleb said:

That's why I basically use GarageBsnd only. Now plus 2 AUs, Noise and Moog Model 15. But mainly what's already built in to GB. Staying in GB gives me creation. Adding other non AU apps resulted in nothing for me, at least inbreeding past.
    I used to use Cubasis a lot, but it can't compete with GB when it comes to the integrated workflow with Drummer, Smart Instruments, Alchemy, touch keyboard with cool pitch bend, and so forth.

While i know exactly what you mean, the urge for a streamlined, hassle free creative experience, i always find myself craving for one of the many synths that isn't AU. Created so many patches that i love (obviously).

• @teleb said:

Cubasis has its own drums, synth, keyboard, etc. You can do everything inside Cubasis.

• @iOSounddesign said:

@AnimalHeadSpirit said:

@iOSounddesign said:

@AnimalHeadSpirit said:

Thanks for the input.

Great equipment you have, nice! A lot of possibilities there to combine your devices, and get the most value out of them. Obviously, your iPad Pro is not only your fastest "computer", and i guess you bought it to serve as your main device. I'll conclude that the Komplete 6 is connected to the iPad, if you're not running any music software on your computers yet.

What would make the most sense right now to me is to connect your iPad Air 2 via the lightning cable and Inter Device Audio/MIDI to the MacBook. (In case you're not familiar with it, this is an integrated feature in MacOS to stream Audio one way, and MIDI bidirectional between iOS and MacOS). Your Scarlet interface, also on the MacBook gets connected to your Komplete6 interface, and you have a setup. On the MacBook, you can download a free AU Host like http://ju-x.com/hostingau.html which is a super lightweight micro DAW for hosting plugins, and streaming your iPad Air 2.

With this you would have your iPad Air 2 integrated without any additional hardware, if i'm not mistaken. It would transfer MIDI via InterDevice Midi over the MacBook, via the Scarlet into your iPadPro, to e.g. sequence synths. It would also stream Audio.

Thanks for the very helpful suggestions. I didn't realize MacOS had that built in, I assumed
    I'd need an iOS app like "studiomux" to make that work like you describe. I definitely need
    to do some more research on the topic, but what you suggest sounds perfect.

Some of the gear (eg, Komplete Audio 6, etc) have been in storage until recent, as I just
    made room with my newly setup studio/jam area. Forgot to mention, my iRig Pro has been my
    primary interface for the iPad, though I just received delivery of an Apple camera
    usb kit + usb hub, so should be good to go to start using the Komplete 6.

The only computer that's considerably faster than the iPad pro is my quad i7
    3770k desktop. Over 20tb storage, 16gb ram, would make for a beefy audio workstation.. it
    started out as a 970 SLI gaming box, but I rarely use it for that anymore, devoting most
    of my time to music. I may sell one of the GPUs and just turn it into the central workstation.

Would love to incorporate the Macbook as well, perhaps running Logic X and in the meantime,
    the much more affordable Reaper DAW. MBP is the low end model, with 128gb ssd and 8gb ram, so ultimately
    I'm thinking the desktop running Ableton (when I can afford it) would be the way to go. Still
    a lot of research to do, lot to learn ,as I'm still new to the world of desktop audio ;)

Thanks again, I appreciate the advice.