Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Loopy HD doesn't recall sessions in Audiobus presets.

edited November 2017 in Support and Feedback

As per title.

Is this supposed to be happening? I thought loopy would be the most Audiobus integrated of them all. Even Samplr loads up sessions.

Or it just me?

Comments

• Nope, has never been supported and is not planned at this point. This is an old thread--but I asked Michael about this in another more recent thread on the Loopy forum and nothing has changed:

https://forum.loopyapp.com/discussion/2223/audiobus-2-and-loopy-presets-state-saving-question

It could be in scope for Loopy HD/Masterpiece/PRO--we've already seen evidence of better control of sessions via PC messages.

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    Nope, has never been supported and is not planned at this point. This is an old thread--but I asked Michael about this in another more recent thread on the Loopy forum and nothing has changed:

https://forum.loopyapp.com/discussion/2223/audiobus-2-and-loopy-presets-state-saving-question

It could be in scope for Loopy HD/Masterpiece/PRO--we've already seen evidence of better control of sessions via PC messages.

Yea, I kind of refuse to remember all that and choose to ask over and over again as if it never happened before. There’s gotta a be a good reason why he doesn’t want to do it. Could it be because of tempo variations screwing with loops’ pitch?

AB 3 is finally so close to being perfect. Especially with today’s Turnado update. I have everything loading up automagically apart from Samplr and loopy sessions.

The thing about loopy pro (when it fiiiiiiiinaaaaaly comes out) is that it is going to be a completely new, and rather complex app with its own set of bugs. Then we’ll need to wait another few months for them to be squashed and....that perfect day will always be around the corner. I guess that’s the idea of happiness, right?

• @supadom said:

@lukesleepwalker said:
    Nope, has never been supported and is not planned at this point. This is an old thread--but I asked Michael about this in another more recent thread on the Loopy forum and nothing has changed:

Yea, I kind of refuse to remember all that and choose to ask over and over again as if it never happened before. There’s gotta a be a good reason why he doesn’t want to do it. Could it be because of tempo variations screwing with loops’ pitch?

AB 3 is finally so close to being perfect. Especially with today’s Turnado update. I have everything loading up automagically apart from Samplr and loopy sessions.

The thing about loopy pro (when it fiiiiiiiinaaaaaly comes out) is that it is going to be a completely new, and rather complex app with its own set of bugs. Then we’ll need to wait another few months for them to be squashed and....that perfect day will always be around the corner. I guess that’s the idea of happiness, right?

Ha, yeah that's happiness alright.

I agree about AB3--it's so close to being really great. I have gotten so used to changing a preset in Audiobus and then changing the session in Loopy that I could do it in my sleep. But it does interrupt the "flow" of playing so much that it's a drag. I've actually been using Modstep recently to store information on tempos for tunes and some basic loops--and then I just cycle through scenes in that app. Honestly, it cuts down pretty significantly on that "flow loss". I just use Loopy for live looping stuff and clear the tracks for each new tune with my foot pedal.

• Coming soon to a Loopy near you:

• edited November 2017

@Michael said:
    Coming soon to a Loopy near you:

WAAAAAAAAAAAAT?!,!! !

I FELT IT IN MY FINGERS AND TOES IT TRANSPIRES.

THANK YOU!

I am so greatful that I will not even ask when ;)

• Hehe :)

It’ll be this week - the iPhone X update. Lemme know if you wanna test it today though

• Yessss pldeeeeeze

• I am on your beta roll already but haven't noticed that advanced tab

• You know what @Michael I'll wait for the beta when it drops. It is past midnight in the UK and small kids don't forgive late nights. You'll know that now I'm sure.

Looking forward.

• edited November 2017

Holy cow! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

[Runs to check out beta]

• @Michael said:
    Coming soon to a Loopy near you:

Made my day.

• Thanks for doing the heavy lifting on this one @supadom.

• @Michael this is in a beta still to be released?

• Yup, just about to upload now =)

• Holy booooooom! Yes! Thank you @Michael!

• This is a reference to the local preset, yes? not full audio?

• Yup that’s right, a reference

• edited November 2017

Installed beta. Some glitches at first (maybe because I also installed Audiobus beta at the same time?) but after rebuilding sessions all from scratch (glad it’s not Monday morning) all seems to be working!.

So, 3 sessions in Audiobus and 3 sessions on circuit. All with different tempos and time signatures. Stop the song, change session on Circuit, and load AB preset and voila, new song ready within 10 seconds. Game changer live!

Edit: I’m glad that Samplr just saves state even without saving a session in the app. Another click saved :)

• Cool! Not so much the glitches though..

• It seems like I spoke to soon.

Today I had all sorts of glitchiness happening. I also had problems Loopy launching. This was to the point of me resetting my test air 2 to 'new iPad', reinstalling all apps from scratch and opening a couple of AB3 presets. Unfortunately that didn't work and little micro glitches started appearing right away albeit Loopy and other apps launched correctly. Some of the glitches are more pronounced when graphics are more busy i.e. swiping between apps, saving presets in tonestack or browsing through samples in samplr. I also noticed clicks in delay effects. I've noticed this in Samplr that's never had any issues. Now I see it happening in turnado delay too. I haven't got a clue what it is but I'm absolutely certain this wasn't happening before.

In the end I built a new AB2 preset from scratch and that should keep me happy for the time being.

Of course @Michael I'll keep testing AB3 albeit it makes for a frustrating experience at times. Let me know if there's anything in particular.

One question though. If IOS11 is to blame for the issues in AB3 why is AB2 performing better? Also app loading times are much quicker.

• Ok, I think I’ve made a small but ‘monumental’ discovery for my music making with AB3.

I know it is probably common knowledge but to me it came through dots and dabs from different posts I’ve read recently.

Anyway, here it is:

I used to go nuts clearing sessions by soft and hard resets and god knows what else. About 20 minutes ago I

1 cleared the session in Audiobus

2 double tapped and closed all of the apps, AUDIOBUS LAST!

That’s all.

Every time I started Audiobus again all problematic apps (in my case Loopy hd and ToneStack) started in a flash.

Now, I’m not saying this is a cure for crackles and anything else. This is my second Air 2 that I mostly use for music. For whatever reason it’s been quite stable and crackle free and syncing perfectly. I’ll report back.

• Really good tips, @supadom. I have found this sort of precision with sequence to be very important, as well.

• is this available yet? cant find the option, but there was an update for it

• edited April 2018

Yep, it's out - you can find the setting in Settings > General > Advanced.

• I guess my ipad is just to old for that update, I still using an old ipad 2. For just playing a few synths and lauching a few samples it's still pretty good, but this update would make my like much easier...

• Ah, yep, Loopy doesn't support the iPad 2 any more, I'm afraid

• Will the new loopy be universal??