Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

bs-16i update with AUv3!

Comments

• I shared 17 Gb of soundfonts the other week, check if it still works. I’m currently at a dinner table on a hotel so can’t check myself. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ulo96r48z3qrkw4/AAAr4kmF-X8ox4J3zY_6Mm0ya?dl=0

• @hellquist said:
    I shared 17 Gb of soundfonts the other week, check if it still works. I’m currently at a dinner table on a hotel so can’t check myself. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ulo96r48z3qrkw4/AAAr4kmF-X8ox4J3zY_6Mm0ya?dl=0

Thanks a lot. Never enough soundfonts to try.

• @JangoMango said:
    Can someone direct me to free Soundfonts?

http://beats.codenamehippie.com/samples/SoundFrontz/

These are mostly small footprint (not massive detailed) but lots of fun sounds...

Search the forum for "soundfonts" or "sf"

• some really nice mellotron (and mellotron family) soundfonts in Hellquist's assortment btw.

• These are my favorite guitar soundfonts. They have velocity layers; some of them even switch to a palm muted sample when your note is below a certain velocity level!

http://www.flamestudios.org/free/Soundfonts

• Annoying question I’m sure, but how do you guys get the sf2 file into bs-16? I’ve saved a couple to my google drive, opened them in the files app and tried “copy to bs-16”, but when bs-16 opens it just says downloading for a few minutes without actually downloading. Can’t find them in my instrument list. Can’t find a manual for this app!

• I save the file to Audioshare, then send it to BS-16i from Audioshare. (Since Caustic and Gestrument can also use soundfonts, this means I can also send the SF2 files to them later if I feel like it).

• edited November 2017

Just out of curiosity...

Is anyone of you able to access the Drum Kits when using BS-16i as an AUv3??
    (DrumKits are by design only available for 'Part #10'(ie. Midi Channel #10) in the BS-16i app).

The 'included' SoundFont includes the drum-kits for 'all parts' but in some other SoundFont files drums can only be accessed by Part #10.

• So basically this app just became the default best quality AU version of every possible sampled instrument? Wow!

• @OscarSouth said:
    So basically this app just became the default best quality AU version of every possible sampled instrument? Wow!

As long as the samples are baked into SF2 files ;)

• I have the "distorted sound" problem with my app, sequencism :( . BS-16i doesn't load its view, and distorts the sound.

• Nice one.. thanks

• @hellquist said:
    I shared 17 Gb of soundfonts the other week, check if it still works. I’m currently at a dinner table on a hotel so can’t check myself. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ulo96r48z3qrkw4/AAAr4kmF-X8ox4J3zY_6Mm0ya?dl=0

Works! Thanks a ton!

Finally got them working using safari instead of chrome, but never got the ones from soundfonts4u working. Gives me a loading error in bs-16. Sad because they look pretty legit.

• @JonLewis said:
    This is an approximately 40GB soundfont

Duuude! That's insane! lol
    Never used a soundfont so huge. Even on PC :tongue:

• I tried downloading some soundfonts. Realised that I wasn’t going to fit them all on, and stopped downloading. Now I’ve lost a few GB of space and unable to delete any of the download (seems it’s showing as in Safari). Bugger lol

• CAn someone explain how the HQ synth engine relates to playing samples?

And, to be honest, why I would need this if I have Beatmaker3 and BeatHawk?

• Ugh. I of course meant it was an approximately 40 MB soundfont, not 40 GB. Hahaha.

The largest sf2 file I have ever come across was about a gig and a half...

• edited November 2017

@cian said:
    When would I need 128 note polyphony...

Definitely getting the HQ addition though, if only to support the AU change.

Just tried the 128 Polyphony and it makes a huge difference to the 15-velocity layer piano that you can download free from my site here:
    https://sites.google.com/site/soundfonts4u/
    As with many soundfonts every note takes up 4 (2 x stereo and 2 x resonances) so doing a run of say 20 notes with the pedal down uses 80 so under the old limitation I used to get note dropouts. I like the new reverb options as well.
    Great update.

• @Reuben said:

@cian said:

Just tried the 128 Polyphony and it makes a huge difference to the 15-velocity layer piano that you can download free from my site here:
    As with many soundfonts every note takes up 4 (2 x stereo and 2 x resonances) so doing a run of say 20 notes with the pedal down uses 80 so under the old limitation I used to get note dropouts. I like the new reverb options as well.
    Great update.

How did you load this soundfont? Once it’s in bs-16 i get an error every time i try to load it.

• edited November 2017

Aside from new stuff to like, here's what I like again about bs-16: the dudes dog on the splash screen looks exactly like our home's departed hero Spencer. And the app is universal.

Big ups to @hellquist and @JonLewis for sharing the riches

• edited November 2017

@DCJ said:

@Reuben said:

@cian said:

Great update.

How did you load this soundfont? Once it’s in bs-16 i get an error every time i try to load it.

Yes on the largest soundfonts (1gb or more) I found I had to back out of bs-16i (not just home button but close by swiping off the screen) and re-enter for it to load on my iPhone 6s before it would load. The 2gb ram iOS devices seem to splutter a bit but it worked. You can also try loading the default scene to clear your ram before loading. If you are still having problems then try the 6 velocity layer version. And don’t forget to load it over the existing SoundFont rather than in addition to it.

• @syrupcore said:
    Great news. Now I really really really want an iOS soundfont creator.

I think I was asking for that 3 years ago and am fairly surprised nobody ever made one. I know SoundFonts are kind of antiquated, but they're basically just a method of sampling with layering, velocity, assigning a whole assortment of instruments to a single keyboard....

• Alright guys, fair warning: If you try to load a large sf2 file in the AU version and it crashes (maybe it exceeds ram or something, but my 2017 9.7 has 2GB I believe), it may actually ruin the AU completely. I was not able to load it in any app after it crashed in cubasis even with a hard reset. Had to delete and reinstall, which means I had to reinstall all the soundfonts as well. Currently on my second reinstall. Sad.

• @Nu2moro said:
    What sort of difference does the new synth engine make?

I was wondering the same. Is there any noticeable difference?

• @rrc2soft said:
    I have the "distorted sound" problem with my app, sequencism :( . BS-16i doesn't load its view, and distorts the sound.

Don’t use 1024 in your latency settings

• Audio Evolution have a nice looking bunch of sf2 available as iaps has anyone tried them and how simple would it then be to extract them for use in Bismarck?

• I’m getting intermittent distortion in GarageBand..._anyone else?

• @realdavidai said:
    I’m getting intermittent distortion in GarageBand..._anyone else?

Me too - in fact regular distortion in Garageband if I open a second instance of the app. And constant distortion in MutliTrackStudio. Works fine in Cubasis and BM3, as far as I can tell.

• I looked up Bs-16i on the forum to get a grip on the benefits of soundfonts and mainly found complaints of bugs and trouble. Even this thread started with people reinstalling the app due to Auv3 update!

Any informed thoughts on the benefits of Soundfonts would be helpful. Thanks!

• @Littlewoodg said:
    Aside from new stuff to like, here's what I like again about bs-16: the dudes dog on the splash screen looks exactly like our home's departed hero Spencer. And the app is universal.

Big ups to @hellquist and @JonLewis for sharing the riches

Hehe, no worries, I've probably gotten most of them from here at one point or another from the beginning, so if re-sharing them back here is useful for someone I would say it is just karma at work within this community. :)