Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

OT Clip Studio Paint has launched on iOS

edited November 2017 in Other

So what's Clip Studio?

It's the program of choice for many digital artists. Originally designed specifically for manga comics, it has a brush engine that's arguably the best ever (subjective of course, but for me and many others nothing else comes close)

It also has a unique (to my knowledge) feature which is a vector eraser tool. This tool will erase a line segment up to the point where it crosses another line. Once you get the hang of this, you'll never want to ink in any other way

Beyond that, it has perspective rulers, import 3D models and even turn them into vector lines, easy comic panel and effects creation, the best implementation of brush stabilizing anywhere, onion skin, GIF export and so much more

From my brief poke around, it seems to be a complete port of the desktop version

Now here comes the bad news - It's subscription based for exporting. Not sure if the free version will let you export pngs. Yea, it's not ideal and it's certainly expensive if you just mess around in it but for people who have worked with the desktop version for years, it should be an easy choice. You also get 6 months subscription for free if you try it before end of december

Anyway, just a service announcement in case other Clip Studio users missed the launch

https://itunes.apple.com/app/id1262985592

Comments

• edited November 2017

I’ve hoped and hoped this would make it to iOS as I’ve used it before on PC, but now I’m pissed too! $8.99/month is too expensive, especially since it’s for a function, not for their own cloud storage!

• edited November 2017

well I️ did have a lengthy reply typed out and the it was gone. And I️ can’t deal with this bug that prevents me from typing the letter that comes after H anymore. So, here’s a picture of a ghost I️ painted, and the reason why I️ shouldn’t buy the app you posted. Though it looks really cool!

• edited November 2017

@brice said:
    well I️ did have a lengthy reply typed out and the it was gone. And I️ can’t deal with this bug that prevents me from typing the letter that comes after H anymore. So, here’s a picture of a ghost I️ painted, and the reason why I️ shouldn’t buy the app you posted. Though it looks really cool!

I like the ghost!

@jwmmakerofmusic said:
    I’ve hoped and hoped this would make it to iOS as I’ve used it before on PC, but now I’m pissed too! $8.99/month is too expensive, especially since it’s for a function, not for their own cloud storage!

Yea, it's expensive. I would have preferred an option to purchase it outright. Not sure what you can do if you're on pc, but on mac you can use Astropad and turn your ipad pro into a cintiq. Not entirely lag free but definitely usable and the standard version is not subscription based. That's how i've used Clip Studio lately

In my excitement, i immediately signed up for the subscription instead of testing what works in the free version. Did you try it?

• @jn2002dk Not yet. If you want, download it and let the rest of us know what works in the free version.

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:
    @jn2002dk Not yet. If you want, download it and let the rest of us know what works in the free version.

I did download it but signed up for the sub so i can't tell what does and doesn't work in the free version

• edited November 2017

@jn2002dk I just confirmed it. This app requires you to have a subscription to save and/or export anything! It’s NOT Cloud-based saving (where the subscription acts as a fee for a virtual storage unit or for transferring files from point A to point B ). I’ve hoped for years Clip Paint (Manga Studio) would come to the iPad, only for this major disappointment. If they wish to charge an optional $199 for a perpetual license, I’d be cool with that. Save money at my own pace, and purchase it outright.

• What’s so good about it anyway?

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:
    @jn2002dk I just confirmed it. This app requires you to have a subscription to save and/or export anything! It’s NOT Cloud-based saving (where the subscription acts as a fee for a virtual storage unit or for transferring files from point A to point B ). I’ve hoped for years Clip Paint (Manga Studio) would come to the iPad, only for this major disappointment. If they wish to charge an optional $199 for a perpetual license, I’d be cool with that. Save money at my own pace, and purchase it outright.

Dang, that sucks. Yea, i'd be happy to pay 200$, same as the desktop version. Oh well, 6 months free and then i'll see what's what once it expires

• @BiancaNeve said:
    What’s so good about it anyway?

Best brush engine, best stabilizer, vector tools including the amazing vector eraser, animation tools, very lightweight and can do crazy high res pics with smooth zooming, can import 3d models which can be moved and rotated in 3d space before turning them into vector

• @BiancaNeve said:

The ability to create comics, its brush engine, its perspective guides, the fact one layer can be raster while the other is vector, mesh morphing, nostalgia, sophisticated path tools and rulers, and the list goes on and on.

I’m glad Savage Inc haven’t gone down the BS subscription-based rabbit hole and that we have ProCreate.

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:

@BiancaNeve said:

The ability to create comics, its brush engine, its perspective guides, the fact one layer can be raster while the other is vector, mesh morphing, nostalgia, sophisticated path tools and rulers, and the list goes on and on.

I’m glad Savage Inc haven’t gone down the BS subscription-based rabbit hole and that we have ProCreate.

That and ComicDraw which is pretty impressive too.

• @nick said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@BiancaNeve said:

Comic Draw looks like a simpler version of ClipPaint, and it looks REALLY good. $9.99 for a perpetual license? Damn, I’m sold. :) Thanks for the heads up mate.

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:

@nick said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@BiancaNeve said:

Comic Draw looks like a simpler version of ClipPaint, and it looks REALLY good. $9.99 for a perpetual license? Damn, I’m sold. :) Thanks for the heads up mate.

It's definitely good but it's no Clip Studio. While it was clearly inspired by it, it does lack many features

• @jn2002dk said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@nick said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@BiancaNeve said:

It's definitely good but it's no Clip Studio. While it was clearly inspired by it, it does lack many features

Okay, THIS however is pretty damn impressive.

Found that just now. Also, it looks like he replaced this expensive Wacom hardware tablet with an iPad Pro.

K MIchael Russell is pretty popular and teaches comic book colouring quite well. I bought a course of his on Udemy a couple years ago. I’m glad to see an online instructor switch to ProCreate. ProCreate’s still not as advanced as Clip Paint studio, but it’s a damn great alternative nevertheless.

• edited November 2017

Wow for a 1.0 ClipStudio on iPad feels amazing.

• Are art skills available through IAP? ;)

• edited November 2017

@CracklePot said:
    Are art skills available through IAP? ;)

Nope. Those you develop in your own good time. :tongue:

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:

@CracklePot said:

But I only have 6 free months!

• edited November 2017

@BiancaNeve said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@CracklePot said:

Then let’s forget about this whole mess and go back to ProCreate where we belong, lol. :smirk:

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:

@BiancaNeve said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@CracklePot said:

Then let’s forget about this whole mess and go back to ProCreate where we belong, lol. :smirk:

Dude, I use Photoshop Sketch. :#

• edited November 2017

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@BiancaNeve said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@CracklePot said:

Well, if you make a living illustrating or making comics...this is a great addition for mobile artists...not sure the Price Point meets the needs of the casual artist though....that being said, I'd gladly pay them $19.99 or $29.99 for the app as a 1 time purchase...

• @CracklePot said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@BiancaNeve said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@CracklePot said:

AH HA! That’s also a good one. The ability to import Photoshop brushes AND the optional subscription pertaining only to expanding online storage space in the Creative Cloud make it a good winner of an app.

Another one I like is Medibang paint. 100% free, and really nice.

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:

@CracklePot said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@BiancaNeve said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@CracklePot said:

AH HA! That’s also a good one. The ability to import Photoshop brushes AND the optional subscription pertaining only to expanding online storage space in the Creative Cloud make it a good winner of an app.

Cool! I will try it. Thank you. B)

• edited November 2017

I’ve tested this Clip Studio last evening...
    Sure, it’s jamed with many many features, but, it’s slow in the paint engine...
    And, this direct port from a desktop application to iPad is really uninspiring... Very tiny UI, even on my iPad Pro 12.9” 2017...

Nothing beats Procreate in the speed department, but, for me I rather use Paintstorm Studio - that’s an amazing featurepacked app!

But, Clip Studio may have many users that want this spectacular amount of functions...

• @CracklePot said:

Only in iPhone X for now. Cause eye scan is needed to give your virtual skills the correct personal touch.

• @ErrkaPetti said:
    And, this direct port from a desktop application to iPad is really uninspiring... Very tiny UI, even on my iPad Pro 12.9” 2017...

Nothing beats Procreate in the speed department, but, for me I rather use Paintstorm Studio - that’s an amazing featurepacked app!

But, Clip Studio may have many users that want this spectacular amount of functions...

Have you seen Frendens reactions and feedback on Twitter? While the UI isn’t iOS native the Paint Engine smokes anything else on the platform. I’m a regular user of procreate and while i love it, if you are a comic artist, ClipStudio sets a new bar as far as features and functionality. Sure i wish it were more iOS and touch like...but it really changes things for comic artists on the platform.

Check out Frendens thread if you haven’t already.

This is a great thing for iOS and comic artists.

• @echoopera said:

@ErrkaPetti said:

Have you seen Frendens reactions and feedback on Twitter? While the UI isn’t iOS native the Paint Engine smokes anything else on the platform. I’m a regular user of procreate and while i love it, if you are a comic artist, ClipStudio sets a new bar as far as features and functionality. Sure i wish it were more iOS and touch like...but it really changes things for comic artists on the platform.

Check out Frendens thread if you haven’t already.

This is a great thing for iOS and comic artists.

Agree completely

While i would have preferred to buy it outright, it's still a huge step for iOS. Nothing on the platform compares to Clip Studio

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:

@CracklePot said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@BiancaNeve said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@CracklePot said:

thanks, this medibang thing is a good tip, I've been looking for something with old school half tones and this seems to do the job,,, slightly annoying you have to sign in to an account to get tones and typefaces ( why isn't it using myninstalled system typefaces!? ). and all the turtorials are with japanese UI! :)
    but for free it does seem very powerful.. never heard it mentioned before..

• @echoopera @jn2002dk Have someone of you positive guys digged deep into Paintstorm Studio?
    If you think that the featureless Procreate is the paint app to compare against, you have to rethink...

There are endless options and features into Paintstorm Studio...

And, the paint engine is really powerful if you know your things...
    But, I will give Clip Studio another chance to impress me more...

• @ErrkaPetti said:
    @echoopera @jn2002dk Have someone of you positive guys digged deep into Paintstorm Studio?
    If you think that the featureless Procreate is the paint app to compare against, you have to rethink...

There are endless options and features into Paintstorm Studio...

And, the paint engine is really powerful if you know your things...
    But, I will give Clip Studio another chance to impress me more...

Yup, bought it on both desktop and ios. It's great, i really like the particle brushes