Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Useful tool for people with hardware synths - Midiquest for iPad

Had my eye on this for years the mac and windows version, it's now landed on the iPad, my excitement is overflowing. Looks extremely versatile for people with hardware synths, especially ones that are fiddly to program, like the 80's and 90's digital synths with tiny screens. I've not hooked it up to anything yet, but it lets you download a synth from its long list of supported hardware, there are iap's which I've not seen how much they cost, but if it's like it's desktop counterparts, you can edit your synths with a gui that looks like modern plugins, also manages sysex data, patches and banks and has a randomise feature too boot, more info here.

http://www.squest.com/Products/MidiQuest_iPad/index.html

iTunes link

MidiQuesti by Sound Quest
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/midiquesti/id1271850367?mt=8

Comments

• Hmmmm, no mention of Novation on their website...have emailed them and asked if novation devices are supported as that is what I mainly own synth wise....
    This would also be a very dangerous purchase for GAS sufferers....650+ devices...that's a long shopping list :D

• Store button inside the app doesent work and i couldnt get the template i wanted(except in demo mode) :/

Hopefully it gets fixed later when i get more money for apps again and i still remember that this app exists

• @AndyPlankton

Good news I've just gone into the app and there is quite a few novation synths in the list, couldn't fit the xstation 61 on my screen grab.

@ToMess

I couldn't get the $ tab to work either, in my excitement I assumed they gave you one free template, didn't realise it was a demo, hopefully they'll get the iap's up and running soon, I was using the + button and selecting install instrument option and going through the list.

• @mister_rz said:
    @AndyPlankton

Good news I've just gone into the app and there is quite a few novation synths in the list, couldn't fit the xstation 61 on my screen grab.

@ToMess

I couldn't get the $ tab to work either, in my excitement I assumed they gave you one free template, didn't realise it was a demo, hopefully they'll get the iap's up and running soon, I was using the + button and selecting install instrument option and going through the list.

Unfortunately there is no Bass Station 2, Mininova or circuit, which are the synths I own. :(

• @AndyPlankton

Lol, what a kick in the balls, we have a selection of novation synths* hopefully they'll expand their list with requests from ios users if it takes off on the platform and think it's worth the time investing in, they didn't have my k2000r on the list just the k2000 rs, which fingers crossed will work, as it's a beast to program.

*apart from the ones you own

• edited November 2017

the editors remind a lot on the Coffeeshopped stuff, but are much more tiny.
    (just compared it to CZ-Touch for Casio CZ synths)
    Not shure about the screen estate of Coffeeshopped's Patchbase, which is the followup product to get more synths under one hood (like Midiquest), instead of the single 'Synth-Touch' Editors.
    They were premium price purchases/IAPs, but the CZ thing worked great on my CZ1000 on which almost every switch was worn out.

• @Telefunky

I wasn't even aware of the coffeeshopped stuff, had a look though and non of my synths were supported, I like the look of the gui's though, I'm hoping they update the gui's in midiquest, like how korgs does it for their classics, easy to navigate. My jd800 is worse for wear, bought it secondhand like that, so I'd love an editor for it, as that was my dream synth as a nipper.

• Yes, there's a much larger amount of devices in Midiquest, even some fx unit like the small Lexicon LXPs that frequently show up for very affordable prices.
    But you can try out the Editors with nothing connected if you simply choose initialize when it asks for loading.

The single editors in Coffeeshops 'Touch' family are definitely more snappy and less annoying. When you drag a value in Midiquest there's a big yellow label (flickering) instead of a smooth single number within a circle.
    Can't remember TouchBase, but I probably removed it for it's (also) tinier appearance.

If the IAPs aren't totally exaggerated, one may get used to it anyway - after all a tablet is a very nice companion to such 'vintage' gear.

• @Telefunky

Had a look around and it seems like this will be as fiddly to program as some of my synths, buttons and drop down menus on the templates I tried are tiny, they should of optimised this for the ipad. With all the included synths this could be fantastic, but the gui needs work, also curious how much the iap's will cost, also some sections don't have labels just a grid with no info, my excitement has subsided. Spose it's just back to procrastinating about building some templates in lemur for me.

• Not trying to spread misinformation before we get official confirmation but when this was released last week I read somewhere (maybe reader comments on Synthtopia?) that the IAPs are going to be pricey. Not sure where they heard it but one synth mentioned in particular was Roland JV-1010 for $89 which is ridiculous!

• the empty grids are due to no hardware connection - in regular use they are filled by midi data from the external unit.
    But the layout (or control paradigm) isn't consistent across all devices, depends on model.
    Imho it looks a bit more frightening that it is and some reactions (unresponsiveness) may be influenced by the 8 parameter demo limitation.

Even if IAPs end in a region similiar to Coffeeshopped's it's an affordable solution.
    Programming sysex communication isn't for the faint of heart... even more today when people aren't used to shift around single bits (the essence of midi) anymore. ;)
    Let alone there are constraints not immediately obvious in the documentation (if any available at all) or timing/buffer restrictions... it's a complex game.

• @yowza

If that turns out to be true, they'll price themselves out the market, could only see a few synth enthusiasts paying that much, $10-30 would be a sweet spot for me.

@Telefunky

That makes sense, was wondering why they were blank, I'd go onto the site every few years or so and look at the screenshots and think it was a perfect solution, being able to control your synths like vst's and have a patch librarian, controlled from the desktop. I'll have to wait and see how it pans out and dust off my midi and sysex chops in the meantime, was overly excited when I saw all this pop up earlier. I used to use a sysex dump to get samples from my replay 16 into my kurzweil via a midi lead, was amazed you could do it at the time.

• @ToMess said:
    Store button inside the app doesent work and i couldnt get the template i wanted(except in demo mode) :/

Hopefully it gets fixed later when i get more money for apps again and i still remember that this app exists

The Purchase button is working in the current 1.0.2 release. There was a bit of a delay between the main app being released and Apple authorizing the in-app purchases.

• Let alone there are constraints not immediately obvious in the documentation (if any available at all) or timing/buffer restrictions... it's a complex game.

There is lots of documentation. Tap the "?" button and choose either "Online Manual" or "PDF Manual" from the pop-up list.

• I would suggest you do some research on this before getting involved, the desktop version hardly worked if ever, and their support is near non existent, this is a repurposing of out of date technology that died a long time ago on the desktop, one final cash grab.
    Do a search at KVR or GS for any details on MIDIquest.

• yes, midi for (most) of those devices is computer stoneage technology.
    But if you like your particular oldie, such an app may revitalize it, replace worn buttons or dim displays and the like.
    The risk isn't too high as one can test response in demo mode before purchase.
    I wouldn't mind their desktop problems too much, as Windoze (midi driver implementations) is likely to have had a huge influence on that topic.

• Windows driver issues havent really been an issue since way before the first iPad was invented, yet it is still rolled out by some people like it is some big thing.

These guys rarely update and their software simply doesnt work properly on the desktop, but i was only giving a warning, let us know how you get on.

• atm you lead - my Kawai XD-5 works on the DIN midi ports of the iCA4+ as an external sound device.
    MidiQuesti's dump request is echoed on the XD-5 display, but nothing is received...

Searching the net in fact reveals a lot of (more than I expected...) complaints, on every platform. I'll stick with Coffeeshopped - who seem to have a poll to possibly add the XD-5 to their collection.

• Where can i see the prices for the iAPSs? I just don't want to download an app - and see prices within the app. I prefer to get the price information before downloading something. I didnt found any information about their prices on their website.

Is this behavior normal? Or i am just getting old, remembering the "good times".

• I tried this software on the desktop many years ago and it was bad. Tried now on the iPad and is terrible. I have an iPad Air 2 and every time I try to edit something it says that i have insufficient Ram - I've turned off and started with only this software and the message continue with insuffiient Ram - so it needs more than 2 Gbs of Ram to function?????
    Besides that, the IAPs are absurd high - Korg T3 - US$ 89,00; Yamaha TX-7 - US$ 49,00; Emu Proteus FX - US$ 69,00. I think its ridiculous. Tried to see the price for the Roland JV-1080 and Roland XP-80 but it didn't show me. Very disappointed.

• I'm really hoping for this one to come alive. iPad is the perfect platform for an app like this. The RAM limitation is a big deal for me, unfortunately. Anyone interested can read what turned into a sort of live blog of my initial experience with it here: https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/22169/midi-quest-for-ios-lands

tl;dr: It wasn't a great experience but like I said, I'm holding out hope. This is an app with a deeeeeeeeeep MIDI history. Would be great to see it in full bore awesome mode on iOS.

@SoundQuest Great to have you here. Good luck with the app! Are there any plans for an 'All' IAP?

• I hope SoundQuest change the prices (it's too much high) and manage to low the ram usage that the app needs (2 Gb for an editor is absurd). This could be a great app for people that have older synths / modules but I think very few people will pay US$ 80 for an iap (imagine people with 3 or more synths / modules this app would cost more than US$ 200 - it's too much).

• That dollar button is still not working here. Tried to reinstall but it is still like what you described in your blog.

• @joaoluiz14 the Ram error message is a fake imho - it may check a limit and if it finds more, then it can't handle it.
    Or due to error conditions Ram isn't deallocated properly.
    This message showed up on my Air-2 after some usage, not initially - and as mentioned it failed a dozen or more times with the Kawai thing.

• edited November 2017

@Telefunky Thank you! But i tried many times to see any keyboard in my list (for example - Korg T3, Roland XP-80) and always get the message: Insuficient Ram (even if I close every app open in my iPad). I think that must be a bug (hope they will fix it).
    My experience was not good with this app (and the prices to unlock the iaps, IMHO are absurd (for the most keyboards that I checked - US$ 89,00). I like the idea of this app but I will not pay these prices - imagine if I buy all the iaps for the keyboards that I have I can buy a new iPad (about US$ 300-400 - simply it's too much for an editor). Like Syntronik did, they should make a price for a package of various editors, but not in this range.

• I'm far from defending them and agree on the absurd prices as mentioned so far.
    The memory bug is Safari related: if you shut down the browser, the message disappears.
    $ icon still crashes here.

But with the recent update communication with the Kawai XD-5 and all editor items worked. Some sections are hard to operate for obvious reasons, though.
    Just in case you wonder: the XD-5 is an excellent sound generator, but extremely tedious to program from the front panel - and it's a challenge for editor apps: there are no CCs but each and every value must be embedded in a sysex communication if you want it realtime.

• edited November 2017

Yea the $ button is still not working for me either. If cs6x preset will cost close to 80€, hell no im outting that money on it, rather buy that knobby behringer controller used for the same price or even cheaper and continue using sysex base for saving presets. 40€ i might barely pay if the app works as intented. Thus far it obviously doesent since i cant even buy iaps.

• Might be a candidate for the most sloppy release in IOS music ever.
    Is there any alarm indicators not blinking here? I mean really!

• @Looping_Loddar said:
    Where can i see the prices for the iAPSs? I just don't want to download an app - and see prices within the app. I prefer to get the price information before downloading something. I didnt found any information about their prices on their website.

Is this behavior normal? Or i am just getting old, remembering the "good times".

All of the prices are listed on Sound Quest's web site. Each instrument specific page for the iPad has the price listed near the bottom of the page.

• @ToMess said:
    Yea the $ button is still not working for me either. If cs6x preset will cost close to 80€, hell no im outting that money on it, rather buy that knobby behringer controller used for the same price or even cheaper and continue using sysex base for saving presets. 40€ i might barely pay if the app works as intented. Thus far it obviously doesent since i cant even buy iaps.

What version do you have installed?