Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Odessa (LIVE - IT FINALLY HAPPENED!)

Comments

• @syrupcore said:

@nonchai said:

@syrupcore said:

@nonchai said:
    I'm not convinced it is in the end any easier for on-the-fly programming of drum patterns than other more conventional GUIs.

The beauty and utility of the Patterning GUI reveals itself with sequence lengths above 16. The RuisMaker sequencers are the only other ones I can think of off the top of my head that elegantly handle variable length track sequences above 16.

I need to spend maybe a bit more time "programming" in Patterning. But I have a very low attention-span "focus" threshold before I give up doing stuff in "tekkie-mode" musically.

Doesn't need to be too techie to get something interesting out of it. Try setting your hi-hat track length to 18 steps and enter a note on every other step except for the last four: enter notes on all 4. When you hit play, that little clutch of four faster notes will land at a different time each time the pattern loops (relative to your other 16 step tracks that is). Bring down the probability a bit and you'll wind up with a more interesting loop.

It would be really hard for a traditional 808 style drum app (say DM1 or one of the drum gadgets) to visually represent the extra steps on the hi-hat track without introducing a second screen.

I think the GUI does start to get a bit fidgetty when one of the inner track circles has more than 16 steps. Would be great if we could 'zoom' or something.

Great tip.

• @syrupcore said:
    Doesn't need to be too techie to get something interesting out of it. Try setting your hi-hat track length to 18 steps and enter a note on every other step except for the last four: enter notes on all 4. When you hit play, that little clutch of four faster notes will land at a different time each time the pattern loops (relative to your other 16 step tracks that is). Bring down the probability a bit and you'll wind up with a more interesting loop.

Completely OT, but that method is almost exactly how my house gods Meshuggah create music. :)

• @ExAsperis99 said:

@syrupcore said:

@nonchai said:

@syrupcore said:

@nonchai said:

The beauty and utility of the Patterning GUI reveals itself with sequence lengths above 16. The RuisMaker sequencers are the only other ones I can think of off the top of my head that elegantly handle variable length track sequences above 16.

That's what I like about Patterning. You have a sort of a euclidean mode but you can also decide where to put the note. A combo of current brambo sequencers and patterning would be great.

• edited October 2017

@fattigman said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

@syrupcore said:

@nonchai said:

@syrupcore said:

@nonchai said:

That's what I like about Patterning. You have a sort of a euclidean mode but you can also decide where to put the note. A combo of current brambo sequencers and patterning would be great.

Indeed. With variable length patterns, pattern rotate and step probability, I barely ever find myself making more than a pattern or two.

Would be even more fun (in this way anyway) if you could disassociate the parameter rings from the velocity rings so that you might have a velocity pattern of something even like 8 or 16 but then have pitch or filter on a 7-step pattern. And if you could add probability to those (separate from velocity), oh my. Just go ahead and take out the song mode. :)

I kid. Don't punch me @JohnnyGoodyear

• @syrupcore said:
    Would be even more fun (in this way anyway) if you could disassociate the parameter rings from the velocity rings so that you might have a velocity pattern of something even like 8 or 16 but then have pitch or filter on a 7-step pattern. And if you could add probability to those (separate from velocity), oh my.

Hmm. Now that I think about it, this could be really fun to set up with Quantum sending CCs via 'odd' length patterns to one of the Ruismakers or Patterning adjusting the tone separately from the rhythm of the pattern. I know the Ruismaker apps provide a separate CCs for each voice's controls. Does patterning? Or does the CC mapping for things like filter cutoff and pitch only work for the foreground voice?

• Looks really cool.
    Simple thing i think would take it to another level is that if you could multiply its speed(different swings and triplets would be a really nice addition as well). This way with the midi transpose, you could use it as an arp inside bm3 or other daws if they support au midi.

• Do we know when I might stop desperately avoiding making music in the hopes that the new BramBos samplers will solve all my workflow problems this is supposed to come out?

• Just spent a few hours measuring the exact jitter of Egyptian Lover's TR-808.... Step by step, sample-accurate, so I can optionally inject the same legendary analog slop into your drum patterns B)

• @brambos said:
    Just spent a few hours measuring the exact jitter of Egyptian Lover's TR-808.... Step by step, sample-accurate, so I can optionally inject the same legendary analog slop into your drum patterns B)

Now that sounds like fun: fun for us, mainstaking for you :D

• EGYPTION LOVER BABY!!

• @brambos said:
    Just spent a few hours measuring the exact jitter of Egyptian Lover's TR-808.... Step by step, sample-accurate, so I can optionally inject the same legendary analog slop into your drum patterns B)

As in you know Egyptian Lover and you've been measuring his 808?

• @cian said:

@brambos said:

As in you know Egyptian Lover and you've been measuring his 808?

Hah.. no.. but I dug up a truckload of dry 808 recordings from him and crunched the timing of the hi-hat patterns at various tempos with a sample editor. Then I used my m4d Numb3rs skillz0rs to derive repeatable patterns from that which I can apply to my drum sequencer. The timing is interesting. Subtle, but groovy. :)

• edited December 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I have room for a few beta testers. Let me know if you'd like to help me squash out the last few bugs.

Odessa requires access to iOS11 and AUM (currently the only host which allows AUv3 MIDI routing).

• @brambos said:
    I have room for a few beta testers. Let me know if you'd like to help me squash out the last few bugs.

Odessa requires access to iOS11 and AUM (currently the only host which allows AUv3 MIDI routing).

Doesn't Garageband allow for AUv3?

• Hi, I'll be happy to test Odessa.
    Iphone 7plus IOS 11.1 - Ipad Pro 9.7 IOS 11.1 - AUM, Ripplelmaker, Troublemaker, Ruismaker, Ruismaker FM, Phasemaker + other mobile daw and au synths

Please let me know how it works

Thanks
    GF

• @mannix said:

@brambos said:
    I have room for a few beta testers. Let me know if you'd like to help me squash out the last few bugs.

Indeed, it does, and it support AUv3 MIDI. But it won't let you send that MIDI to another track, only to the track where the AU is loaded. So if the AU itself doesn't make sound (like most sequencers and MIDI processors) it's not of much use ;)

• @brambos said:

@mannix said:

@brambos said:

Indeed, it does, and it support AUv3 MIDI. But it won't let you send that MIDI to another track, only to the track where the AU is loaded. So if the AU itself doesn't make sound (like most sequencers and MIDI processors) it's not of much use ;)

Okay, Thanks for the explanation :)

Hope there will be more iOS DAWs that will going to support this, because this way it will be a niche niche product ;)

• @mannix said:

@brambos said:

@mannix said:

@brambos said:

Hope there will be more iOS DAWs that will going to support this, because this way it will be a niche niche product ;)

Most AU compatible host also already do internal MIDI routing, so technically it shouldn't be insanely hard to accomodate. And I don't think that any of the current DAWs will implement this feature without there being plugins available for testing and showing a proof-of-concept.

Someone has to be the first. So I decided to be the guinnea pig :)

• @brambos said:

@mannix said:

@brambos said:

@mannix said:

@brambos said:

Most AU compatible host also already do internal MIDI routing, so technically it shouldn't be insanely hard to accomodate. And I don't think that any of the current DAWs will implement this feature without there being plugins available for testing and showing a proof-of-concept.

good decision :wink:
    I'm looking forward to exploring new work flows with this app

• edited November 2017

@brambos said:

@mannix said:

@brambos said:

@mannix said:

@brambos said:

Well I can see that it has much in the way of future application:

Arpeggiators of varying kinds.
    Touch playing interfaces (configurable and not).
    Configurable midi surfaces.
    Midi FX.
    Random generators.
    Modulation Sources.
    Modular environments.
    Ideas are endless really.

• edited November 2017

@Fruitbat1919 said:

Indeed! And the nice thing is that AUv3 allows these plugins to be extremely lightweight.
    Odessa currently contains 6 plugins, and all of them have a memory footprint < 512Kb and negligible CPU load. You'll barely notice that they're running. So they're a great way for DAWs to expand their MIDI and sequencing capabilities.

• @brambos Holy Cow - Odessa is insanely good, you have hit the money once again. Testing with AUM and a big smile on my face. AWE+SOME :)

• Interested in the beta--sent DM. Thanks!

• @brambos said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

Indeed! And the nice thing is that AUv3 allows these plugins to be extremely lightweight.
    Odessa currently contains 6 plugins, and all of them have a memory footprint < 512Kb and negligible CPU load. You'll barely notice that they're running. So they're a great way for DAWs to expand their MIDI and sequencing capabilities.

That's great!

Hopefully 'DAWs' will implement them as 'plug-ins' for the 'Midi-Input' so they can easily be used to drive other AUv3's. In the case of likes of Cubasis and BM3 these could be implemented as 'plug-ins' for the pads/keys or attached to the midi coming in to the app.

it feels 'strange' to attach a midi-only plug-in into an 'audio strip'...

• edited November 2017

@Samu said:

@brambos said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

That's great!

Hopefully 'DAWs' will implement them as 'plug-ins' for the 'Midi-Input' so they can easily be used to drive other AUv3's. In the case of likes of Cubasis and BM3 these could be implemented as 'plug-ins' for the pads/keys or attached to the midi coming in to the app.

it feels 'strange' to attach a midi-only plug-in into an 'audio strip'...

Yes, midi FX channel strip (like Logic) would be great. I think NS2 will have something like this with midi out as well which Logic does not do....at least not without workarounds.
    So the time for standalone could be come to an end on iOS too. Midi, FX and audio....all as AU´s like on the bigger brother.
    The down side of this is that all the workarounds we have/had for iOS are the main reason that most apps have midi out and their own midi keys, routing and whatever. If AU takes over it could be all up to the DAW´s then.
    Then we have nearly the same workflow as on desktop/notebook DAW´s. Not sure if that is the best way for iOS.
    But anyway, no one can stop it.

• Plenty of beta testers now! Thanks guys!

• +1 for beta testing if there's any more room @brambos!

• edited November 2017

@brambos said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

I’ve barely hit 27 % on my Air 2 running two PhaseMakers, RuisMaker, RuisMaker FM, one Baseline, One Arp and two Rhythms! (That’s peak percentage not average!)

• Me for Beta testing too ... pretty please - !