Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

OT: Desk Chair Recommendations

Looking for a lightweight, comfy, desk chair with arm rests that’s good for your back
Only ever bought the big ugly black office types in the past...

What do you guys/gals use?

Comments

• I have the big ugly type (works well enough) interested to see how others have solved this...

• After I started to have trouble with my back, I got me a Swopper. This Swopper is unlike anything else. Very dynamic seating, but no arm rests. And you really gotta get used to this beast, since it is so different.
    http://www.aeris.de/swopper/

• Bonus if it has built in iPad Pro dock with charging :D

• Emperor Chair 1510. Enjoy. :)

• @teleb The Swopper chair (and the look on the guy’s face) makes me ask if it vibrates. I hope so.

• edited November 2017

usual subjects here (herman miller etc) but also cheapish ikea chair rated highly.
    https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-office-chair/

• @NoiseHorse said:
    @teleb The Swopper chair (and the look on the guy’s face) makes me ask if it vibrates. I hope so.

No electrical vibration, if that is what you mean. The seat is installed on a giant spring and it bounces 3-dimensional, though. Take a look at YouTube to get an idea of how that looks.

• Basic, cheap office swivel chair. I've got a dodgy back too, so I have a small cushion shoved in behind me to keep my spine in the right position.

• if you live near an ikea you could try one out before you buy. i got one there. prices are ok

• edited November 2017

@mrcanister said:
    if you live near an ikea you could try one out before you buy. i got one there. prices are ok

+1. Sometimes there have some good deals. And good (nordic) designs.

• I have a chair without arms as I find that they get in the way when I am playing guitar.

http://www.staples.co.uk/weston-designer-task-chair-black/cbs/297878423.html

It's very comfy though and as I also have a dodgy back I use one of these which makes it even more comfy.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Memory-Foam-Seat-Cushion-MemorySoft/dp/B00UF4W4MS/ref=lp_200978031_1_6?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1509878211&sr=1-6

• this thread should be call dodgy back? sheet, i've got one too!
    a waterproof pad and floatation tank, yeah :smiley:

• @MonzoPro said:
    Basic, cheap office swivel chair. I've got a dodgy back too, so I have a small cushion shoved in behind me to keep my spine in the right position.

Same here. I bought the cheapest office chair they had and then wondered why my lower back had been getting so stiff and sore over the last year. My girlfriend suggested a small pillow for lumbar support, and within a week my back was better.

• @audiorangutan said:

@MonzoPro said:
    Basic, cheap office swivel chair. I've got a dodgy back too, so I have a small cushion shoved in behind me to keep my spine in the right position.

Same here. I bought the cheapest office chair they had and then wondered why my lower back had been getting so stiff and sore over the last year. My girlfriend suggested a small pillow for lumbar support, and within a week my back was better.

It's amazing isn't it, such a small thing can have such a big effect. I've got a 'flat' back apparently, and I've had a protruding disc so the cushion pushes my lower back forward. I've got a cushion in the car, and any other chair I use. My back is still dodgy, but it doesn't twinge as much as it used to.

• @u0421793 said:
    I stand.

Standing looks to be the healthiest option. I aspire to always be standing at my workstation, but I find I can stay in the “zone” longer whilst comfortably reclined. Performing, I stand for sure, but studying and experimenting for long sessions... I can’t have my dogs barking at me, my body needs to be comfortably resting so my brain can flourish—especially after my eight hour day at The Happy Factory.
    EDIT: Just came back to this post after having sat here comfortably reclined for over two hours, “doing music”, but not having recorded any actual music (only dabbled around the forum, YouTube and App Store). I’m wondering if I would have had a more goal oriented focus, and actually gotten some music done, if I would have been standing these last two hours? Maybe if I would have been standing and let my dogs bark at me, they would have given me sage advice like “bark bark, bark”. Well I don’t really understand the dogs that live in my feet when they talk, but roughly translated would probably be “hurry up and make some fresh beats and get famous and rich, ya twat, times a wastin and the babes ain’t waitin”.

• @audiorangutan said:

@u0421793 said:
    I stand.

Standing looks to be the healthiest option. I aspire to always be standing at my workstation, but I find I can stay in the “zone” longer whilst comfortably reclined. Performing, I stand for sure, but studying and experimenting for long sessions... I can’t have my dogs barking at me, my body needs to be comfortably resting so my brain can flourish—especially after my eight hour day at The Happy Factory.
    EDIT: Just came back to this post after having sat here comfortably reclined for over two hours, “doing music”, but not having recorded any actual music (only dabbled around the forum, YouTube and App Store). I’m wondering if I would have had a more goal oriented focus, and actually gotten some music done, if I would have been standing these last two hours? Maybe if I would have been standing and let my dogs bark at me, they would have given me sage advice like “bark bark, bark”. Well I don’t really understand the dogs that live in my feet when they talk, but roughly translated would probably be “hurry up and make some fresh beats and get famous and rich, ya twat, times a wastin and the babes ain’t waitin”.

+1

• Best chair I ever had was a Herman Miller Aeron. Quite pricey though and needs lots of room around it.

• @brambos said:
    Best chair I ever had was a Herman Miller Aeron. Quite pricey though and needs lots of room around it.

Mrs. Good year bought me an Aeron for Christmas many years ago. Was a bit put out. A chair? For Christmas? Was lovely however, sufficiently so that I wore it out....

• I will probably try to get to my nearest IKEA, just wanted to see what was out there first

I’ve been using the old $10 chair with extra cushions for support for 7 years now lol

My main reason is to try to get me out of bed more. I have a lot of fatigue from my treatments over the years. Spend s lot of time in bed propped up with a lot of pillows. It’s a lot more comfy than sitting at the chair. No guitar playing just some small keyboards so arm rests are fine but not necessity I guess.
    Thank you for all the responses
    I heard all the real iOS music makers just levitate over their iPad B)

• Another Aeron user here, easily one of the best purchases I've ever made. Check Craigslist, you can often find them for much cheaper there. Parts are easy to find too if you need to repair them.

I also use a sit stand desk though, so I split my time between sitting for office work and standing while writing or performing music.

• I use a motorized desk that goes from standing to sitting and I try to mix it up evenly throughout the day. For the chair, I use my great grandfather's 100 yr. old whittlin' chair. It forces a good posture, but isn't so comfortable I want to stay in it too long.

I used to have a very expensive ergonomic chair, and it worked well, but if you sit all day every day while you work no chair will prevent negative long term health effects. I started having odd pains in my legs and back and realized I was heading toward nerve damage. All better now.

• aeron chair. 900 squid on a yogi bear? also as dumb as paying a 1000 for a dog n bone :wink:

• @aaronpc said:
    I use a motorized desk that goes from standing to sitting and I try to mix it up evenly throughout the day. For the chair, I use my great grandfather's 100 yr. old whittlin' chair. It forces a good posture, but isn't so comfortable I want to stay in it too long.

I used to have a very expensive ergonomic chair, and it worked well, but if you sit all day every day while you work no chair will prevent negative long term health effects. I started having odd pains in my legs and back and realized I was heading toward nerve damage. All better now.

Motorized desk sounds crazy, have any links I could check out?

I’m not too worried about long term back health effects, i have life threatening illness If im even alive a few years from now that itself will be a blessing.

• @ruggedsmooth
    lose yourself in beautiful soundscapes
    good luck for the future, mate. all blessings to you

• I’ve actually raised my i-stuff studio up so I can stand and do everything (except sit, obviously). I still sit on and off, but it’s nice to be able to do either.

• @ruggedsmooth said:

Mine is similar to this originally:

https://www.amazon.com/Unique-Furniture-75532-WAL-Height-Adjustable/dp/B016MQ2M8I/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1509916593&sr=8-9&keywords=jesper+sit+stand+desk

I modded it pretty soon after I got it to be more flexible for my studio though:

http://innerportalstudio.com/the-desk-job/

• @ruggedsmooth said:

Mine is from Geekdesk. https://geekdesk.com/. Highly recommended

I can also still recommend my old ergo chair for your situation, although I don't use it much anymore. Made by Bodybilt. https://bodybilt.com/products/ergonomic-seating/executive/j3502.html. Very adjustable, with an air bladder in the back for lumbar support, plus its curvy seat distributes weight better than flat seats.

Stay healthy.

• Those Geekdesk ones look nice. I like that they have smaller options too, mine was HUGE when I first got it.

• My piano bench sucks after about 10 minutes of playing, highly NOT recommended.