Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

GarageBand / Inter-App Audio Question

Is it possible to use inter-app audio plug-ins in GarageBand as MIDI instruments? I'm trying to add an inter-app audio instrument and use GB's piano roll to control the instrument, but it seems I can do that only with AU plug-ins.

Comments

• edited November 2017

from thw browser, on the external tab where you picked AU, jus to the right you can also pick IAA sources

(edit, this results in an audio instrument, not midi)

• well you cant record them as midi in GB, when you record they show up as waveforms not editable midi tracks, unlike Audio units where you get midi information. The silver lining though is if you export projects to open in Logic pro is you'll have the audio recorded from the IAA tracks, where as the tracks you use Audio units with in GarageBand will show up as " missing plugins" in Logic Pro X. Im hoping in the future we'll be able to convert the Audio Unit tracks in GarageBand to audio tracks so we wont have to worry about IOS au's that dont exist on Mac.

• @Strizbiz said:
    well you cant record them as midi in GB, when you record they show up as waveforms not editable midi tracks, unlike Audio units where you get midi information. The silver lining though is if you export projects to open in Logic pro is you'll have the audio recorded from the IAA tracks, where as the tracks you use Audio units with in GarageBand will show up as " missing plugins" in Logic Pro X. Im hoping in the future we'll be able to convert the Audio Unit tracks in GarageBand to audio tracks so we wont have to worry about IOS au's that dont exist on Mac.

Keep in mind you can bounce AU in GarageBand using the track’s merge command

• @Strizbiz said:
    When you record they show up as waveforms not editable midi tracks, unlike Audio units where you get midi information.

This confirms what I (unfortunately) suspected. Thank you.

• @realdavidai said:

@Strizbiz said:
    well you cant record them as midi in GB, when you record they show up as waveforms not editable midi tracks, unlike Audio units where you get midi information. The silver lining though is if you export projects to open in Logic pro is you'll have the audio recorded from the IAA tracks, where as the tracks you use Audio units with in GarageBand will show up as " missing plugins" in Logic Pro X. Im hoping in the future we'll be able to convert the Audio Unit tracks in GarageBand to audio tracks so we wont have to worry about IOS au's that dont exist on Mac.

Are yo talking about the desktop version or the IOS version? Im talking about the IOS version. Id love to be able to do that if its possible but I havent seen that in the Ipad version. Can you send a screen shot of where that merge command is for the IOS version if thats what youre talking about? tia

• @Strizbiz said:

@realdavidai said:

@Strizbiz said:

Are yo talking about the desktop version or the IOS version? Im talking about the IOS version. Id love to be able to do that if its possible but I havent seen that in the Ipad version. Can you send a screen shot of where that merge command is for the IOS version if thats what youre talking about? tia

Sure here’s a quick visual

• @realdavidai said:

@Strizbiz said:

@realdavidai said:

@Strizbiz said:

ooohhhh!!! I saw that before but thought it was for merging midi info, lol. Wow...s#@t just got real!!!, lol. As much as I loved GB I didnt work in it a lot because it was only 16bit, now that it supports 24bit BM3 is going to have to share being my go to, lol. Thanks man, with this merge feature , 24bit support, Model 15 becoming an AU, Ill be doing a lot of things in GB. I just wish we could merge several tracks at one to there own audio tracks, I see it makes another copy of the song each time you use that function, I can see it becoming a little crazy when you have a lot of AU tracks you want to merge. The new files system and being able to make folders and keep all the copies in them will def help a lot though.
    hmmmmm...so the only thing I'd like to see in GB IOS now is to be able to record while in the main timeline windows so I can see all the other track while Im recording, I think Im good after that. Oh, and to save projects directly to Dropbox so its easier to collab with people. GB seems like its spending a lot of time in the gym, lol, its getting ripped!!! thanks again bro

• edited November 2017

@Strizbiz said:

@realdavidai said:

@Strizbiz said:

@realdavidai said:

@Strizbiz said:

ooohhhh!!! I saw that before but thought it was for merging midi info, lol. Wow...s#@t just got real!!!, lol. As much as I loved GB I didnt work in it a lot because it was only 16bit, now that it supports 24bit BM3 is going to have to share being my go to, lol. Thanks man, with this merge feature , 24bit support, Model 15 becoming an AU, Ill be doing a lot of things in GB. I just wish we could merge several tracks at one to there own audio tracks, I see it makes another copy of the song each time you use that function, I can see it becoming a little crazy when you have a lot of AU tracks you want to merge. The new files system and being able to make folders and keep all the copies in them will def help a lot though.
    hmmmmm...so the only thing I'd like to see in GB IOS now is to be able to record while in the main timeline windows so I can see all the other track while Im recording, I think Im good after that. Oh, and to save projects directly to Dropbox so its easier to collab with people. GB seems like its spending a lot of time in the gym, lol, its getting ripped!!! thanks again bro

When the 3.0.4 update to BM3 drops you'll be able to export directly to the BM3 folder-structure from GarageBand :)
    (And also pull files from BM3 to the GarageBand Time-Line).

• @Samu said:

@Strizbiz said:

@realdavidai said:

@Strizbiz said:

@realdavidai said:

@Strizbiz said:

When the 3.0.4 update to BM3 drops you'll be able to export directly to the BM3 folder-structure from GarageBand :)

Cant wait for it to dropped, feels like its been a big week between Model 15 going AU and the GarageBand update!!! Dont let Animoog go AU this week!!!!! Ill be like Fred Sanford... " Elizebeth!!!!! Im coming to join you!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol

• @Strizbiz said:

Cant wait for it to dropped, feels like its been a big week between Model 15 going AU and the GarageBand update!!! Dont let Animoog go AU this week!!!!! Ill be like Fred Sanford... " Elizebeth!!!!! Im coming to join you!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol

That's true, for me the wait for the next update to Gadget feels like forever.

One thing I can really get lost in for quite some time in GarageBand are the DJ Effects and creating some Live Loops...(Or passing random Apple Loops thru the amp simulators).

• @Strizbiz said:

@Samu said:

@Strizbiz said:

@realdavidai said:

@Strizbiz said:

@realdavidai said:

@Strizbiz said:

HAHAAAAAAAAA YES!

• @Samu said:

@Strizbiz said:

That's true, for me the wait for the next update to Gadget feels like forever.

One thing I can really get lost in for quite some time in GarageBand are the DJ Effects and creating some Live Loops...(Or passing random Apple Loops thru the amp simulators).

So have you heard about any features that might be added to the next update of Gadget aside from it being ported to the switch? What do you think it needs?

• @Strizbiz said:

So have you heard about any features that might be added to the next update of Gadget aside from it being ported to the switch? What do you think it needs?

Two new Gadgets at least, the Melodic Sampler and a SCI-Fi synth and a new 'mastering thing' from Deefex or something like that. And I hope they add Files.app integration as well :)

• @Samu said:

@Strizbiz said:

@realdavidai said:

@Strizbiz said:

@realdavidai said:

@Strizbiz said:

Is this from integration of the Files app? Can we expect more apps to join this two-way exchange when they integrate the Files app? That would be a great thing.

• @CracklePot said:

Is this from integration of the Files app? Can we expect more apps to join this two-way exchange when they integrate the Files app? That would be a great thing.

Yepp!

It's quite easy to import files that way into Garageband. Unfortunately GarageBand does not yet support direct Drag'n'Drop from Files.app or other apps to an audio-track so the file has to be imported first but it's just a tap from the Files.app/DocumentPicker pop-up.

Even with the small quirks it's a lot smoother than it was before.

• edited November 2017

@Samu said:

@CracklePot said:

Yepp!

It's quite easy to import files that way into Garageband. Unfortunately GarageBand does not yet support direct Drag'n'Drop from Files.app or other apps to an audio-track so the file has to be imported first but it's just a tap from the Files.app/DocumentPicker pop-up.

Actually I’ve been able to drag and drop from files.app directly to GarageBand Audio Track. If works :)

• @realdavidai said:

@Samu said:

@CracklePot said:

Yepp!

Actually I’ve been able to drag and drop from files.app directly to GarageBand Audio Track. If works :)

Ok, that way, i was thinking from the apple loops / audio and accessing files.app from there :)

• @Samu said:

@realdavidai said:

@Samu said:

@CracklePot said:

Yepp!

Ok, that way, i was thinking from the apple loops / audio and accessing files.app from there :)

Yeah it’s cool. Just waiting for AudioShare to support drag n drop the same way. It has a better audio preview UI than Files.app

• @Strizbiz said:

You didn't understand first question - problem is why in GB is impossible to record IAA as a midi track (like AU). With Midi you can correct many details, especially drums.
    Very hard on keyboard to play correctly percussion sounds, you need use quantization (for example from DM Touch Alexis).This is strange resolve recording virtual instruments immediately in audio, taking into consideration that list of AU for iOS is much shorter than IAA.

• @roman965 said:

@Strizbiz said:

You didn't understand first question - problem is why in GB is impossible to record IAA as a midi track (like AU). With Midi you can correct many details, especially drums.
    Very hard on keyboard to play correctly percussion sounds, you need use quantization (for example from DM Touch Alexis).This is strange resolve recording virtual instruments immediately in audio, taking into consideration that list of AU for iOS is much shorter than IAA.

DAW and MIDI language, including really flexible Garage Band, was created for making easily and more perfectly a music, arrangements etc. That why I don't understand totally who in Apple is an advisor regarding Garage Band... Unix people...

• @Samu said:

@Strizbiz said:

Two new Gadgets at least, the Melodic Sampler and a SCI-Fi synth and a new 'mastering thing' from Deefex or something like that. And I hope they add Files.app integration as well :)

@roman965 said:

@Strizbiz said:

Im assuming your question is rhetorical? Thats just how it is with GB.

• @roman965 said:

@Strizbiz said:

IAA come in two varieties, IAA generators and IAA instruments. Not all apps that support IAA offer both types. GarageBand seems to only connect to IAA generator type.
    IAA generators only output the audio. IAA instruments allow control with midi within the host, so you can record midi tracks and edit them, while the IAA generates the audio every time it gets midi messages to do so. You can eventually render this to audio or just record it to an audio track, depending on the host.
    AU loads as instruments and are controlled by host, so they are midi controlled and constantly processing audio live. They act much like IAA instruments, but usually have better integration with the host than IAA.
    If you want to use your IAA apps as instruments, you will probably need another host, or a sequencer that has midi out. You would record and edit the midi in this other app, but you can still record the audio to GarageBand to integrate it with the rest of your project.

• @CracklePot said:

@roman965 said:

@Strizbiz said:

IAA come in two varieties, IAA generators and IAA instruments. Not all apps that support IAA offer both types. GarageBand seems to only connect to IAA generator type.
    IAA generators only output the audio. IAA instruments allow control with midi within the host, so you can record midi tracks and edit them, while the IAA generates the audio every time it gets midi messages to do so. You can eventually render this to audio or just record it to an audio track, depending on the host.
    AU loads as instruments and are controlled by host, so they are midi controlled and constantly processing audio live. They act much like IAA instruments, but usually have better integration with the host than IAA.
    If you want to use your IAA apps as instruments, you will probably need another host, or a sequencer that has midi out. You would record and edit the midi in this other app, but you can still record the audio to GarageBand to integrate it with the rest of your project.

thanks, im well aware of it though, which is why I use Auria pro or Cubasis if I want to drive IAA apps with midi, but as to your question as to why you cant do it in GB I assume it was rhetorical because the only ones who can answer that question is Apple, though I dont see them actually adding midi support for IAA apps. When I use GB I mainly just stick with audio units or the built in stuff. Once in a while Ill use an IAA app with GB, but most of the stuff I do in GB end up in Logic Pro and Ill just use midi in LPX to play IAA synths on my IPad via Studiomux if I have an IAA
    I want to use.
    I cant really complain much about Garageband for IOS to be honest, there's stuff I'd like to see in it but for an app that's free ( $5 in some cases ) it does a LOT, and they have been updating it with a ton of features since it came out. I'm happy we finally got support for 24bit recording, that was a big one for me. Now I can actually use the guitar tracks I record in it when I transfer project to LPX. Somebody needs to make some kind of IAA to AU wrapper app for IOS, I think it would be a hit, I dont know it's it's even possible but if there were an app that did that, and where you could load multiple instances of Animoog or something it would be great because some IAA apps I just dont see ever being made into AU's.
    But I'm missing IAA apps less and less in GB, because my AU list of instruments and effects is growing.I still have a few on my list to get but I can't complain about not having enough, lol

• @Strizbiz My answer was for the other member @roman965. I know you know much there is to know, since I have learned things from reading your posts in other threads before. B)

• @CracklePot said:
    @Strizbiz My answer was for the other member @roman965. I know you know much there is to know, since I have learned things from reading your posts in other threads before. B)

lol, bro, I'm learning stuff myself all the time, I had to turn to Google like 20 mins ago for something I was trying to figure out in ProTools. Dont get me wrong, your question was a good question, I wish GB had an actual mixer and we could record while we're using the main timeline, I wish Apple would just make a version of Logic pro for IOS, they seem like theyre halfway there if you look at the Logic remote app. I think if they make an Ipad Pro they should make some pro apps for it. I can only guess they dont want to compete too hard with IOS developers and it's easier to let other people make pro level apps and just collect their cut.

• If you were to use this app
    https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/routemidi/id1347099452?mt=8
    Then it would drive most of your IAA generators from GarageBand

• @BiancaNeve said:
    If you were to use this app
    https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/routemidi/id1347099452?mt=8
    Then it would drive most of your IAA generators from GarageBand

Wow, that is pretty great! And cheap, too! B)