Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Yamaha MDBT01 Wireless Bluetooth MIDI Adapter - They're Brilliant! (Edit: Check compatibility)

edited November 2017 in Other

Just wanted to let anybody interested know that the...

** Yamaha MDBT01 Wireless Bluetooth MIDI Adapter **

Is awesome. They work great and very low latency.

They're currently on a littles sale in UK Amazon @ £32 from £39.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Yamaha-MD-BT01-DBT-O1-Midi-Adaptor-x/dp/B01AXSYSLU

I've got 3 of these now.

1 plugged into my FCB1010, another into an X-Station 61 and another that I switch between various controllers.

Even used it on the Novation Circuit as a fun experiment using the Circuit as a midi controller.

I've not had any trouble getting the iPad to recognise and pair via bluetooth any device with the MDBT01 plugged in.

EDIT:

@Jes included a list by MidiSolutions of devices that don't give power to MIDI connections. Could be a similar issue with the MDBT01 so check this list first.

http://www.midisolutions.com/faqs.htm#List

Comments

• They are great. Have 4 of them already. Top gear. Only thing is, you can only run five of them at a time.And it really turned my tr-09 into a iPad ascessory.

• Yes! They're great aren't they?! :) I also recommend the Reface DX & CS too ❤️

• I am a big fan of the wireless Bluetooth adapters as well. I have had success with the Quicco Sound mi.1

The more wires I can get rid of the better :)

• @NTKK said:
    They are great. Have 4 of them already. Top gear. Only thing is, you can only run five of them at a time.And it really turned my tr-09 into a iPad ascessory.

I didn't realize you could run that many. Way more interesting. Thanks and thanks for the thread Mr. Zoo.

• I've been thinking of getting one of these since they came out but have never quite got round to it - so this thread might just push me off the fence!

• @SpookyZoo said:

I've got 3 of these now.

1 plugged into my FCB1010, another into an X-Station 61 and another that I switch between various controllers.

Even used it on the Novation Circuit as a fun experiment using the Circuit as a midi controller.

I've not had any trouble getting the iPad to recognise and pair via bluetooth any device with the MDBT01 plugged in.

Hi, one question. Do you find any problems to connect to any app as this is a bluetooth device? Or you just bridge the signal with Midimttr and that's all?

• @AlexB said:

@SpookyZoo said:

I've got 3 of these now.

Hi, one question. Do you find any problems to connect to any app as this is a bluetooth device? Or you just bridge the signal with Midimttr and that's all?

I've had no problems connecting the MDBT01 at all.

I'll usually open an app that has specific bluetooth midi settings. Gadget, Kaspar, etc... once connected it is available in any app as a midi source. I guess Midimttr can fill that role.

None of this ever feels like a hassle though. It's sweet. :)

• How's the latency, let's say for traditional piano playing?

• @SpookyZoo said:

@AlexB said:

@SpookyZoo said:

I've got 3 of these now.

I've had no problems connecting the MDBT01 at all.

I'll usually open an app that has specific bluetooth midi settings. Gadget, Kaspar, etc... once connected it is available in any app as a midi source. I guess Midimttr can fill that role.

None of this ever feels like a hassle though. It's sweet. :)

Ok great! In Amazon Spain is now at 39€ that seems like a good price compared to 55€ it was at the beginning.

• @busker said:
    How's the latency, let's say for traditional piano playing?

For me it seems ultra low latency. Granted I don't have the controller too far away from the iPad (whether that affects Bluetooth I'm not sure) but it really does seem to be fast.

• @busker said:

I've also used mdbt01 with the x station and there is no noticeable latency (for me) with it. BUT when I have used it with a roland fp7 and a yamaha mox8 there is quite a bit of latency. Really strange. Isn't midi din supposed to work the same way on all instruments?

• How well does midi clock go through the bluetooth? Can anyone speak to how tight the sync is vs wired? Does it add any jitter?

• @StaffanKeys said:

@busker said:

I've also used mdbt01 with the x station and there is no noticeable latency (for me) with it. BUT when I have used it with a roland fp7 and a yamaha mox8 there is quite a bit of latency. Really strange. Isn't midi din supposed to work the same way on all instruments?

That is very strange. I'd be using this with an 88-key Yamaha piano controller, so now you've given me pause again (if the latency truly does vary by instrument). Anyone else experiencing this issue?

• @StaffanKeys said:

@busker said:

I've used it on several instruments and not noticed this, but I will try give it try on more of my gear, might be down to the power supplied to the adapter.

• @knewspeak said:

@StaffanKeys said:

@busker said:

I've used it on several instruments and not noticed this, but I will try give it try on more of my gear, might be down to the power supplied to the adapter.

Okay, well that's good to hear. What keyboards have you tried it with?

• edited August 2017

@StaffanKeys said:

@knewspeak said:

@StaffanKeys said:

@busker said:

Okay, well that's good to hear. What keyboards have you tried it with?

Alesis Micron, M-Audio Venom and Akai EWI 5000. Also forgot Korg Minilogue I've also sent and received Sysex data to the Minilogue and Micron several times, with no errors, the Micron sends lots of data too, when you dump everything.

• I love mine as well, though I wish it was a bit a smaller. Mine is plugged into my AX7 keytar and sometimes it can get knocked out. I tried to order the Quicco Sound mi.1's but could find nowhere that sold them that shipped to Canada.

• @MikeyP said:
    I love mine as well, though I wish it was a bit a smaller. Mine is plugged into my AX7 keytar and sometimes it can get knocked out. I tried to order the Quicco Sound mi.1's but could find nowhere that sold them that shipped to Canada.

Yes same thing with my EWI, hope they do redesign with a smaller dongle.

• edited September 2017

I finally recieved it and I can tell you, superesy to make it work,perfect connection with my Ipad / Iphone and no noticeable latency. Best buy l've done in time, is literally perfect for my needs!

• Just got one myself last week and I give it 5 stars! Easy and just works...

• @AlexB said:
    I finally recieved it and I can tell you, superesy to make it work,perfect connection with my Ipad / Iphone and no noticeable latency. Best buy l've done in time, is literally perfect for my needs!

Great! Good to hear you're happy with it.

• I have recently purchased one of these .
    It is great but I have had mixed results as to what midi gear actually supplies power for it to work.
    So far:
    Working : Novation X station
    Korg Wavestation
    Akai Miniak
    Kawai GM Cat KC3
    Yamaha TG55

Not Working: Arturia Beatstep
    Alesis Q25
    Rockband 3 Fender Mustang midi guitar

So, basically, all my old midi gear works and the newer stuff doesn't .
    I'm wondering if this may be because the pin that supplies power to the midi port is not connected on these devices ???
    It's pretty frustrating that the newer gear doesn't work with the latest technology whereas my dinosaur Wavestation etc from the dawn of Midi time does .
    The beatstep has a cv to midi converter which may explain why it's not working, however people are reporting that the adapter works with the Beatstep pro.
    Has anyone else had similar experiences with the adapter not working with some of their gear?

• edited October 2017

Does MIDI clock/sync work via Bluetooth? Curious to use the arp and sequencer on my Keystep with this device.

• JesJes
    edited October 2017

@ipadthai said:
    Does MIDI clock/sync work via Bluetooth? Curious to use the arp and sequencer on my Keystep with this device.

See this:

http://mybeatbuddy.com/forum/index.php?threads/puc-or-yamaha-md-bt01.7795/

I'm interested in whether the Keystep will power the md bt01 ?

• JesJes
    edited October 2017

Although different products , here is an explanation as to why some devices do not power the midi port.
    Interestingly, the three devices I listed as not working with the Yamaha are also listed as not working with these Midi Solutions products. http://www.midisolutions.com/faqs.htm#List

• edited November 2017

@Jes said:
    Although different products , here is an explanation as to why some devices do not power the midi port.
    Interestingly, the three devices I listed as not working with the Yamaha are also listed as not working with these Midi Solutions products. http://www.midisolutions.com/faqs.htm#List

Yes, unfortunately I've had my first experiences of the MDbt01s not working, and both these devices are on that list, so I imagine it's the same 'power' issue.

• @SpookyZoo
    Which devices are not working for you?

• edited November 2017

Couple of the Strymons. Was hoping to have the X-Station control them via the MDBT01s and AUM's midi matrix.

• Bluetooth Midi is great, especially for portable controllers.
    And you can keep the iPad connected to power :)
    I decided for the Quiccos on my Arturia Keystep because I don't have to unplug them - the Yamahas stick out way too far and will either break themselves or break the MIDI ports one day if you don't remove them before transport every time.

• edited November 2017

@rs2000 said:
    Bluetooth Midi is great, especially for portable controllers.

There is a qualifier to this that I am currently running into: Whereas before with my AX-7 connected via midi cable to my rack rig I used to get a couple shows out of a set of batteries, I am now finding that one set doesn't even last a whole show. Aside from the expense, this is a BIG problem. I cant be changing batteries mid-set, or be worrying that the thing is going to die on me mid-set. So it appears that powering the bluetooth adapter is a HUGE drain on the batteries