Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

TON Drum Machine - Setting Up and Getting Started Video

Here is a tutorial for the most excellent TON: Drum Machine, you can do some neat stuff with Parameter Locking with this

Comments

• Thanks Doug!

I downloaded the freemium app and like it quite a bit. It's probably missing some features, but it's a new release and I didn't scrutinize very much before downloading a free app. The UI isn't sexy, but it's very accessible and easy to follow, and that's more important than aesthetics. Reminds me of working with my Korg Volcas in a way, which is the only hardware drum machine/sampler I've tried to learn to-date.

I would buy the $10 IAP for sample importing, but I need to see exactly what this app does that I can't do with other apps, like Elastic Drums.

Also, the parameter locking is a cool feature, but for pitch control and other things that required precision, I found it difficult to hold the step button and slide the parameter where you want it. Especially since the displayed value for that parameter reverts back to whatever it was before that after you set the lock.

• @StormJH1 said:
    Also, the parameter locking is a cool feature, but for pitch control and other things that required precision, I found it difficult to hold the step button and slide the parameter where you want it. Especially since the displayed value for that parameter reverts back to whatever it was before that after you set the lock.

You can view what value is locked for a particular step by holding it down (it won't disable it), and constrain parameters to useful values (e.g. pitch 0, 1, 2…) by enabling "snap mode" at the bottom right of the screen (it works for most parameters and is also very useful for tempo and delay time).

• I don't think that it can do anything that other drum apps can't, but I find the workflow fairly easy, so I bought the IAP and have gotten some good things going with samples and what not. Worth it for me. I agree that the pitch control can be a bit fiddly, but I'm used to this from using the hardware Machinedrum. Easy enough to just tune by ear, I think.

• Same here... bought IAP because of the familiar workflow from elektron seq.
    To me what sets this apart from e.g. Patterning is that patterns can hold their own samples which is great for live variations and obviously the p-lock feature which I was waiting for quite some time on iOS, though I could imagine more parameters to play with, which I hope will come eventually.
    Can you guys confirm if it’s a bug or happens only here please
    When Link enabled and you start a pattern the first step being triggered repeatedly until it starts playing.
    Renaming projects won’t update in project list until app restated.

• @recccp said:
    Can you guys confirm if it’s a bug or happens only here please
    When Link enabled and you start a pattern the first step being triggered repeatedly until it starts playing.

It's a bug. I sent a correction to Apple and it will be available on the App Store as soon as they approve it (hopefully within 1-2 days).

@recccp said:
    Renaming projects won’t update in project list until app restated.

Nice catch, I will fix that. Thank you!

• @Jeremy - I notice that when adding bars, it can equal 2 or 4 but not 3. Is it possible to just have 3 bars?

• @ALB said:
    @Jeremy - I notice that when adding bars, it can equal 2 or 4 but not 3. Is it possible to just have 3 bars?

It's not currently possible. Constraining sequences to powers of 2 has interesting properties that allow tracks to be always synced correctly no matter what. It's really convenient for creating music live, focusing on rhythm and not on track synchronization, but as you say, you can't have sequences of 3 bars.

That's something I'd like to add in the future, though.

• @jeremy said:

@ALB said:
    @Jeremy - I notice that when adding bars, it can equal 2 or 4 but not 3. Is it possible to just have 3 bars?

It's not currently possible. Constraining sequences to powers of 2 has interesting properties that allow tracks to be always synced correctly no matter what. It's really convenient for creating music live, focusing on rhythm and not on track synchronization, but as you say, you can't have sequences of 3 bars.

That's something I'd like to add in the future, though.

OK - thanks!

• edited October 2017

Can imported samples be deleted?
    It would be useful if currently playing patterns would be highlighted on pattern page :blush:

• Imported samples can be deleted using iTunes File Sharing (you can import them that way too).
    The pattern page needs a bit more of love indeed ;)

• @thesoundtestroom said:
    Here is a tutorial for the most excellent TON: Drum Machine, you can do some neat stuff with Parameter Locking with this

I didn’t know about the paid version (as my alter ego “elsmusso” stated on YouTube)
    I found the in-app. Thanx. Great video.