Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

MIDI question: Can I use pads and keys on one controller at same time for two different apps/synths?

I'm thinking of getting something like a Launchkey Mini or a MPK Mini 2 and would like to use the keys for one synth while using the pads for another simultaneously. Is that doable? Do the pads use one MIDI channel while the keys use another?

Right now I have a Keystep but no pads or encoders on it unfortunately.

Comments

• Yes, you'd need a camera connection kit, a USB hub, and then depending upon the apps in your setup, you'd need to route the MIDI from the keyboard and the pads where you want them to go. You might need another app besides the synths depending upon your particular setup.

• edited October 2017

Thanks. I have all the connections. Just wanted to make sure I can have both pads and keys playing at the same on two different instruments.

• The Korg Kontrol Editor makes this easy with Korg's controllers:

I'm sure it's possible with others.

• edited October 2017

@ipadthai said:
    Is that doable? Do the pads use one MIDI channel while the keys use another?

Yes. The Launchkey uses channel 10 for pads and 1 for keys by default. You can change the channel for keys by holding down the INControl button and pressing a pad. You can control multiple apps/synths this way.

• Awesome. Thanks.

• Your best bet is to configure the keys to send note data (they all do anyway) but make sure that pads don't. Instead they should send CC messages. This way you'll avoid triggering the synth notes with your pads.

Not all controllers have the ability to send keyboard and pads messages on separate midi channels. Make sure you read user manual before you buy one.

• @supadom said:
    Your best bet is to configure the keys to send note data (they all do anyway) but make sure that pads don't. Instead they should send CC messages. This way you'll avoid triggering the synth notes with your pads.

Not all controllers have the ability to send keyboard and pads messages on separate midi channels. Make sure you read user manual before you buy one.

Good advice, also if it's got an editor, if possible, download it to see what options you've got. Some you can check out without the hardware, but it could be worth a look. Also check on YouTube.

• @ipadthai said:
    Thanks. I have all the connections. Just wanted to make sure I can have both pads and keys playing at the same on two different instruments.

Yes, so long as they are transmitting on different midi channels you should be all good.

• If you're constrained to one channel for keys and pads, you might also use MIDIFlow Splitter in AB3.

• @ipadthai said:

Shouldn’t be a problem at all with a hub and the camera connection kit. The new one, with power, is the best choice. I use my Mac as midi hub. Just plug your instruments into usb’s on the Mac (pc I haven’t tied), connect your iPad and open midi studio. You will have full control over what goes where, on which channels

• @ipadthai said:
    I'm thinking of getting something like a Launchkey Mini or a MPK Mini 2 and would like to use the keys for one synth while using the pads for another simultaneously. Is that doable? Do the pads use one MIDI channel while the keys use another?

Right now I have a Keystep but no pads or encoders on it unfortunately.

Shit, I think I misunderstood your question, after reading the whole string...